Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Taking a step back to 2008, is it worth trying to OC a mismatched Crossfire pair of HD4870s? I've an Asus Dark Knight (no RAM heatsinks, a bit odd?) and a Sapphire Toxic bumped down to stock settings, both 1GB. Poked at CCC's Overdrive a couple of weeks back, I think I managed 775MHz on the GPUs before things turned ugly, all kinds of white dots and z-fighting. Couldn't do anything to the RAM clocks without massive artifacting. The fact that things go to hell so quickly points to a voltage issue, right?

I can try Afterburner or RivaTuner when I have more time to go at it, but I'm mostly just trying to squeeze some more power out of an aging machine and confirm my suspicion that the CPU's bottlenecking some games. Cooling shouldn't be an issue unless the DK's bare RAM is hampering things, in which case I could maybe throw the sinks from my freebie Scythe Musashi on. Otherwise both GPUs stay below 80 C and 60% fan speed even while under full load making GBS threads out mangled polygons.

Aside from those cards, guts include:
Asus P5E (X38, ICH9R), latest posted BIOS.
Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.6GHz; want to try for 4.0, but the RAM's been uncooperative.
4x2GB G-Skill DDR2-800 1.8v 5-5-5-15
PCP&C Silencer 610W

redstormpopcorn fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
If you want positive air pressure at all costs, I have a pair of lightly used Scythe :rice: Ultra Kaze 120mm hurricanes up for grabs.