Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got an EVGA GTX460 SSC+, which comes at 850mhz core, 3900mhz effective ram speed. The EVGA GTX460 FTW runs at the exact same core speed, but has 4000mhz effective ram speed. Is it worth trying to overclock the ram a little bit, or would it be about the same level of uselessness as buying faster ram for my motherboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How much power can a PCIe slot push by itself? I thought it was 75 watts, which would preclude the 1050ti from overclocking, but manufacturers make overclocked 1050tis.

Also, how aggressive is MSI with their binning?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. I might have a line on a used MSI Armor 960, I'm considering that or a 1050ti. I figure the 960's warranty being out of warranty doesn't matter if I'm overclocking anyway, and it seems to have PCIe power connectors unless I'm reading specs for the wrong card. I just need to make sure it's the 4GB version.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. I'll see if they are the same price, it seems like the 1050s just keep getting more expensive.

Would minis have a problem with cooling when overclocked?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A recommendation in the hardware thread was for me to overvolt since setting my Nvidia control panel settings to maximum performance actually made it worse. Is there a good guide to overvolting? I've never done anything other than slightly upping frequencies in Afterburner.

I've got a Gigabyte GTX970 OC Mini if it makes a difference.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yep, my mistake. He mentioned more aggressive voltage in the context of the power setting, but suggested raising the power limit.

I don't have great airflow, but I'll keep an eye on temps using Rivatuner. Is there a non-torture test program that I should run to test how hot it will get?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Will that stop when and if the card gets to an unsafe temperature?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got a 12% power limit boost out of Afterburner got to 78 and only hit 76% fanspeed. Am I right in thinking that if I set up a more aggressive fan profile I could probably get a good bit more performance? Or am I likely to hit power issues if all I can get is 12%?

I'm not sure whether this is even relevant since I haven't tested in game performance yet, but I've been wondering this sort of stuff since I got the card.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I set up an overclock, but apparently somehow saved it in a profile without a power limit boost. It started artifacting and my game crashed. I'm guessing that was the power limit being too low? I've raised the power limit back to max and dialed back the overclock a bit. I'm wondering if I could still stably get my original overclock with the new power limit. Is Unigine Heaven a good test for just letting it sit a while and checking every few minutes to see if it crashed? I used an overclock some review site was using stably.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I use an old version of prime 95, v26.6 for CPU stability testing and leave it running overnight.

Newer versions use avx instructions which run the CPU very hot and are unlikely (at this time) to impact everyday stability.

But I hope you get a second opinion as I've been doing this for years.

Heaven isn't as intensive at stress testing the CPU as prime.

:doh: you mean GPU don't you

Yep, sorry for being unclear.

I ended up running it in game at the original overclocked with no problems for maybe six hours overall this weekend. I’ll do a stability test tonight too.

This is the first time I’ve done real overclocking, I’m pretty happy with the results, even though I have to close Afterburner and re-open it after launching PUBG. Every time I try to launch with it open, the game fails o launch. Oh, early access.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a reason not to just have the max stable OC on all the time? Am I wearing out the card faster than doing the same stuff at a lower clock speed?

I have Afterburner on because I like having Rivatuner to tell me what sort of temp and fps numbers I'm looking at. I don't have very good airflow, so I check once in a while to make sure my CPU isn't going significantly over 60. On the other hand, maybe that's unnecessary after I've been running a particular OC for a while without problems.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Will a computer shut itself down from overheating before it damages itself? 5 minutes of Prime95 and my 8700K at 4.7 on stock voltage (wasn't sure which voltage on the BIOS to change when I first set it up) hit 85C, so I'm hesitant to leave it on for longer timeframes.

This 8700K is an insane upgrade from the i3 4130 I had before, so I'm fine being extremely cautious at this point with my overclocking. My framerate on PUBG has already gone up 2-4x just from that switch.

...And now it's gone back down to 70C. Weird.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I didn't realize that it keeps running in the system tray after you close the window on the task bar. So after about a day and a half of unintentional testing I can safely say that my overclock is stable and only hits 70C even when trying to run PUBG (at about 20-30FPS). I guess that means I have more room to work with if I want. I guess I'll probably leave it where it is until I feel like I could see an improvement from having it higher. Is 4.7GHZ even really an overclock? I know that's the turbo boost, but turbo boost is limited to just one core, right? Or am I misunderstanding?