Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

SRQ posted:

Is there any way to change the FSB of a 440BX board without the option in the BIOS?
Why are you overclocking this by the way? If I still had something like that kicking around I'd make it into a PC dedicated to old games. I used to have a P2 300 with a 440BX and an ISA Soundblaster AWE64 and I wish I still had it because dosbox just ain't the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
I've just built a new sytstem with a i7-3930K, gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 and Noctua NH-D14-SE2011. It certainly seems more overclockable than my i7-950 was, and so far I've got it to 4.2ghz (via turbo multipliers) pretty easily.

Is it normal that it dials in extra voltage itself as I increase multiplier? I have VCore on normal and DVID on +0.00 and all the LCC stuff on default and here's what I'm getting with multiplier of 42:

I know it's probably nothing to worry about now but I'm concerned about what's going to happen if I increase the multi any more.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Been a while between posts because I've been trying to overclock this thing off and on over the last few weeks, I'll repeat specs so no-one has to find my old post:
  • Gigabyte X79 UD5
  • Intel i7 3930k
  • Noctua NH-D14

I turned off the LLC as much as I could and it still raises VID itself as I increase clockspeed - this happens whether I overclock using turbo or with turbo (and all other power management) off. I actually don't think it's LLC because the resulting vcore ends up higher at higher clock speeds (despite the bigger vdrop), I think it's just the board trying to be "helpful".

In any case I can hit 4.4ghz no problems (dynamic vcore on -0.05 which results in 1.341 VID, 1.236 VCORE and 67C under load). 4.5ghz requires a lot more voltage (+0.015 dynamic vcore from memory) and while IBT runs fine, prime95 small FFT gets the temp into the 70's, and after a while it starts getting throttled to 3.2ghz (even when I disable turbo and power management and set a static overclock).

In think this is the result of the bios patch gigabyte made after people melted their VRM's and I guess you guys weren't kidding about gigabyte power delivery being awful. It's kind of disappointing because there's tons of airflow over the whole board - it's in an antec P183 with 3 Noctua 12" fans and 1 coolermaster 15" fan (2 of the noctua's are on exhaust and all run full speed).

Fuzz1111 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 11, 2012

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Yeah I went gigabyte because I've been buying their boards for ages and they have been solid products, but then those have mostly been used in cheaper systems where the measure of quality is "I just want to throw it together without having to tweak anything and have it work for a few years". I'd probably still recommend them for that kind of system because I've had the lower end Asus and MSI boards give me trouble in the past.

As for the old bios version, I'd appreciate it but don't go to much trouble - I think I might end up leaving it at 4.4ghz anyway because it seems to be where the hump between easy overclock and difficult overclock lies. Long term experience with machines running with bleeding edge O/C's has taught me I'm better off stopping when a disproportional jump in voltage is required. 4.4ghz is enough that I can fraps capture 1920x1080 at 60fps (at stock speeds it couldn't encode fast enough - the recorded fps would vary from around 35 to 50) and if I'm honest with myself there's not much else I do that's CPU bottlenecked.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

NaDy posted:

3570k ... highest but safest OC I could do with the stock heatsink
As the guy above said, don't. The video showing 85c at stock speeds is not at all unrealistic and I've seen non-overclocked 3570k and 3770k's easily hit that in prime95, both had stock cooler and were in well ventilated cases. I also wouldn't recommend IBT at all with the stock cooler (I tried it before prime95 on the first IVB system I built and stopped when I saw it shoot up to 95c.

I went as far as to recommend an aftermarket HSF to someone with no intentions of overclocking, because he intended to do a lot of video encoding with it (and I've seen x264 encoding equal prime95 temps on every platform I've tested both on).

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Daysvala posted:

Overclocking i7 960
I've overclocked my i7 950 to 3.8ghz and my mates i7 920 to 3.98ghz (so close to 4ghz,but needed a big jump in voltage to reach it).

My first question is, are you using your memories xmp profile (if it has one)? Most memory of the era had profiles that weren't written with the triple-channel x58/lga1366 platform in mind. Memory speeds over 1.5-1.6ghz require very high uncore speeds, and to keep things stable a considerable increase in qpi voltage is needed. Thi is made worse by the fact most xmp profiles put qpi voltage much higher than it needs to be (resulting in a very hot cpu).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

I have a question for those that have delidded their IVB/haswells: is there any reason something like dental floss wouldn't work as a safe method of cutting through the glue? I ask only out of curiosity (still rockin a SB-E) and because I see a lot of people struggling with hot overclocks, presumably because they don't want to attack their new CPU with a razor blade.