Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

HalloKitty posted:

lovely plastic lugs, and having to push really hard on a stupid bent piece of metal with a screwdriver were just awful things about old heatsinks.

Then again, Intel pushpins aren't much good either. Well, they're OK the first time, but you bet your rear end it'll be broken the second time you try to fit it.

I had to try and figure out why my in laws' PC kept shutting down after a few minutes of use. I figured it was dust (they kept it on the floor in a house with a border collie and two cats :psyduck:) so I opened it up and started removing the dust... and found that the heatsink was only attached with two sodding pushpins. The other two utterly refused to go back in; managed it eventually but it had been off for long enough that the processor had just had it. So yeah, balls to pushpins.

An actual thread relevant question - should I be following the three step overclocking guide that grumperfish linked for overclocking my 760? I realise I won't be going for exactly the settings in the link as that's not specifically for the 760 but the principles seem clear(ish).

FF, the OP is superb - I especially liked the explanation for exactly WHY you need to raise voltages to avoid crashes really helpful. The time spent is greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Agreed posted:

Unigine Heaven is great at showing you errors of varying severity. 3Dmark11 is good, too, but running that sequentially is way more of a pain in the rear end than Heaven. The thing to remember though is that DX9, DX10, DX11 are different and your card might wall at different frequencies for them. E.g. my 580 will do about 950mhz in DX9 stably, but 920mhz in DX10, and 925mhz at DX11. Different parts getting stressed. I go with the lowest common denominator because I can't be arsed, personally.

Here are extreme example of Heaven artifacting, one looks more like CPU (disco poo poo popping up) whereas the other... looks like he shouldn't have flashed that 6950, frankly, holy poo poo. CPU and shaders.

GTX 560Ti SLI artifacts in Heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJLGBqKywUs

HD6950 (misguidedly, it appears) unlocked to 6970 artifacts in Heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5VGkvZcbTk

Those both look like GPU/Shader artifacting to my eyes. Memory manifests as either texture issues, large geometric spaces with peculiar color, or a driver crash (because previous-gen - that's pre-7970 - cards typically used fast GDDR5 but slower memory controllers and overclocking the memory tended to be a bit of a fool's errand).

Edit: Spelling.

At first I thought that second one was the start of a memory sequence in one of the Assassin's Creed games, where all the buildings expand up out of nowhere.

Grumperfish, thanks for the Lynnfield link - as soon as I can get up the energy to take out the old heatsink and get the 212 Evo on there I'll be giving it a go.