Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!
Are these idle temperatures normal for an i5 2500k running at stock speeds with the stock cooler?

edit: Actually, I just realized that when I reset my CMOS that the CPU throttling option was turned back on, so I'm actually getting these temps when the processor is running at 1.6 GHz @ ~.95 volts

They seem a good deal higher than than they should be compared to what I've come across on google, but I'm wondering if that might be because I'm running a stock cooler. I want to overclock after reading all these good things about the i5 chips, but when I OC even close to 4 ghz and run Prime95 in blended mode with 4 threads, I'm getting temperatures of 75-80 degrees celsius within only a minute or two. I'm willing to buy a retail cooler if y'all think that will make a big difference, but I just figured that I'd check first to see if there might be something else going on.

For what it's worth, I did try replacing the stock thermal pad with some Arctic Silver 5 & it seemed to help slightly, but not as much as I would have expected. I've tried cleaning it off and reapplying a few times to see if I could improve on it, but it hasn't really made much of a difference.

Also, can anyone help walk me through some of these settings in my BIOS? I understand the basics (multiplier/voltage), but I'm having trouble figuring out what a lot of the other settings are or what they should be set to.

chronofx fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!
Thanks for your help Factory Factory. I ended up ordering a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO to replace the retail heatsink. I just finished installing it; the temperatures seem a lot better so far, but I'm having trouble achieving a stable overclock. Ideally I'd like to hit 4.5 GHz or higher, but I'd be fine with 4.2-4.4 if that's not feasible for me.

I tried the TLDR recommendation in the OP to just change multipler to 42 in BIOS and call it a day, but I end up getting BSODs (always error code STOP 0x24) when running Intel Burn Test on Max with this method. Since the automatic voltage method doesn't seem to work for me, I've been trying to manually specify the CPU voltage instead. (In case it matters, I'm using an MSI P67A-G45 board.)

As I mentioned in my previous post, there are a fair number of settings in the BIOS that don't seem to match the terminology from the OP, and I'm not sure if I should be adjusting any of them. As a result, I've mostly just been playing around with the multipler & CPU voltage and leaving everything else alone, but I haven't had much luck achieving a stable overclock.

If it's just a matter of me just needing to plug away more, I'm fine with that, but I figured I would post to make sure there's not something obvious I'm missing. What's the max CPU core voltage I should be willing to try? (I want to achieve a stable OC for daily use)

Also, I don't see any way to use the "offset" voltage method in my BIOS. Is this feature not available for MSI, or am I just being dumb and not seeing something right in front of me?

chronofx fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 1, 2012

chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!

Dogen posted:

1.38 is I believe the 24/7 safe max.

Voltage adjustment seems to fluctuate on MSI boards by board and BIOS release, so... I dunno. Can you set it to auto? Make sure if you do that it's not juicing you with 1.4+ or the like. Make sure your power saving features (C1E, EIST) are enabled.

I can set the voltage to auto, but it doesn't seem to be stable (BSOD'd during intel burn test @ max stress level).

Also, that brings up another question; what is the recommended method for testing stability? So far, I've been doing 4 thread blended test in prime95 & max stress level in intel burn test, but I'm not sure if these are correct settings for these programs to test stability or if there is another program I should be using instead.