Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

5er posted:

It's a bitch that this variety and utility comes at a literal great cost. But, being a kid that loved collecting poo poo myself once upon a time, having the tangible little figures is a neat touch..
I didn't think about this point initially. Granted i'm still a little sore about the art direction they went with Spyro, as I was big on PS1 Spyro as a kid. That's mostly a nostalgia thing obviously. While it does seem like a bit of a cash grab, I did collect hundreds upon hundreds of Pokemon cards growing up too. And I did spend my 'leisure money' on collecting them all. What I enjoyed about them vs the GBA games were the actual tangible cards. Means a lot more from a kid's view.

Gravy Jones posted:

If I, as an adult, wanted to play the game I'd think this was all pretty dumb and prefer everything just be unlocked because I don't care about toys. It's not really a game for adults though.
That was my gut reaction too. I really wouldn't have cared about Pokemon if it was all given to me from the start. Half the fun (well all of it) was from collecting them.

I guess this changed my perception of this title. Forgot about that rush of enjoyment when collecting things and better yet, using my new cards against kids down the street. Not to say these two series are identical, but the premise is still there. It's also cool to see that the quality of the game and addons is solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Just to let people know, Frito-Lay is running a contest where you can win a flocked Stump Smash. You either have to buy Frito-Lay multipacks and enter the code that comes with it at https://www.skylanders.com/fritolaycharacter, or call 1-800-646-2904. You can call the number once a day, and I just won one so it's definitely possible to win without buying chips.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I remember the Skylanders.

One came to our poor village as it was being torn apart by Kaos. It was the final insult of a cruel god that they sent it.

The squat, bespectacled lump of cowardice that summoned him called him Trigger Happy, and he was apt to prove that title. Twin eyes of a milky yellow swirled and pivoted indipendent of each other, carrying the fevered madness of a zealot. It was all teeth, eyes, and guns. Two pistols made to resemble the thing's eyes glinted in the sun, spitting out soild gold coins and ricoheting off of walls, people, everything. It ransaked our crumbling village, screaming maniacally, declaring it was all "MINE, MINE!"

There was no sating its lust for violence. We thought ourselves safe behind walls, and it found a cannon. We locked gates; it found keys. We put massive turtles in its path, and it shoved them out of the way with no apparent effort. Nothing stopped it from decimating our homes and our people. Barrels and crates were blown apart flying high-speed currency, and once it found a chest that had been locked, and in it's frustration, it simply shook it until the locks gave way. Its tongue lolled and swayed as though drunk on the treasures it collected. Our royal family was only saved by some arrogant swine oferring it to no doubt plunder some other poor burg. I can only hope that more of those folk are spared than here.

Our people were not spared. It even tossed a safe conjured from seemingly nowhere onto the head of a child! I had to drag his screaming mother away, lest she became a vicitm herself. She sobbed and pounded my shoulder as we escaped later in a balloon. She still blames me by the baleful look she brings upon me while in the refugee camp. We had a bustling population of 75 in that village. There are 5 of us left. Snuckles and that traitor Rizzo have gone off to fight in a war no one asked for, and last I heard actually HELPED the drat thing to achieve their ends. One of the children has been held hostage at its camp. It's just as well, both his parents were killed; a coin buried beneath their skulls. It's hard for any of us to sleep, that taunting face, all teeth and wrath, screaming in our heads until we scream along with it, "MINE, MINE!"

Skylanders? Pfah! I spit at the name, and the name of the Portal so-called Masters, serving only themselves, and employing twisted agents such as that whirlwind of golden rage.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
MINE! MINE!

Avocados posted:

I guess this changed my perception of this title. Forgot about that rush of enjoyment when collecting things and better yet, using my new cards against kids down the street. Not to say these two series are identical, but the premise is still there. It's also cool to see that the quality of the game and addons is solid.

Yeah, I see it more as an evolution of this. Where-as from another angle it looks like negative step with regards to DLC. Overall it's probably a bit of both. Like you said, it's cool that it's good quality. Although it probably means we're due for some poor quality cash-ins now.

One thing that is interesting is that it hasn't been released in Japan yet, but is on it's way. If it's marketed well there it could be absolutely massive. Obviously collecting is very popular and I could see the collectable aspect having a broader appeal in terms of age.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Gravy Jones posted:

MINE! MINE!

No one, and I mean no one familiar with the game, cannot have Trigger Happy mentioned and NOT follow it up by imitating his insane laughter and 'Mine! Mine! Hahaha!' soundbyte.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Gann Jerrod posted:

Just to let people know, Frito-Lay is running a contest where you can win a flocked Stump Smash. You either have to buy Frito-Lay multipacks and enter the code that comes with it at https://www.skylanders.com/fritolaycharacter, or call 1-800-646-2904. You can call the number once a day, and I just won one so it's definitely possible to win without buying chips.

Oh hey, I just won too on my first call. Never had that happen before.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Feeple posted:

I remember the Skylanders.

This made me laugh out rather loud in the office. My 4 year old son loves Skylanders after seeing it on a electronics fair last autumn, and I finally caved and got it off Amazon along with some extra Skylanders. I haven't been able to play much yet myself, so could one of you answer me how much more you unlock by having a full set of Skylanders? (Not 32, just 1 of each type) Is it just bonus areas, or are there more to it?

Bonus question: Is there more to Legendary skylanders than just the skin?

Lars fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 19, 2012

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Lars posted:

This made me laugh out rather loud in the office. My 4 year old son loves Skylanders after seeing it on a electronics fair last autumn, and I finally caved and got it off Amazon along with some extra Skylanders. I haven't been able to play much yet myself, so could one of you answer me how much more you unlock by having a full set of Skylanders? (Not 32, just 1 of each type) Is it just bonus areas, or are there more to it?

Bonus question: Is there more to Legendary skylanders than just the skin?

Bonus areas that allow you to get additional hats and treasure. That's about it, really. Legendary Skylanders have better stats I believe, but don't even look different in-game(their names differentiate them, being like L.Spyro, but they look the same as the others). Dark Spyro is the only one who breaks that rule but he's just a Spyro reskin.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Alright, thanks for that. My sons Legendary Trigger Happy breaks that rule too, then. He's black ingame, straight up reskin, no new voicework or anything, which is why I asked.

Also, since I got no response from my SA-mart post, I just wanted to footnote that I would be interested in buying extra figures if somebody has grown tired with the game.

Lars fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 19, 2012

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Oh, I could be wrong about that myself, then, since I don't have any Legendary dudes and was just going off of what a friend had told me about them.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Gann Jerrod posted:

awesome, thanks for the heads up, won on the first call this morning, my kids will be pretty happy when it gets here.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

LumberingTroll posted:

awesome, thanks for the heads up, won on the first call this morning, my kids will be pretty happy when it gets here.

Just did too... I don't think they're even trying.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

5er posted:

If one of you manage to snag two, I would happily pay a decent coin and shipping to europe for it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

5er posted:

This thing must be broken I just won too. I don't even play this game but I want a toy

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going to guess that if the system isn't broken, they're just divvying out a specific number of toys every day until they run out.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

5er posted:

I'm going to guess that if the system isn't broken, they're just divvying out a specific number of toys every day until they run out.

That'd be my guess. I mean, an 8 dollar prize isn't that much of a cost, so they don't really have to make it that difficult to win.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Then I'll allow myself to get my hopes up :)

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

The walmart near me just got in a bunch of figures. Stealth Elf, Drobot, Hex, Boomer, Lightning Rod, Bash, and then a couple triple packs. Of course the two that I'd actually want to get to fill out my elements aren't in production right now. (Camo and Sunburn). They go for like $50 dollars on ebay which is insane.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sunburn far as I can tell is part of the Dragon's Peak adventure pack, and he might be the most rare figure right now. Which sucks, my son wants that one the most and bugs me every day to find out if I went to a store to find one.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

5er posted:

Sunburn far as I can tell is part of the Dragon's Peak adventure pack, and he might be the most rare figure right now. Which sucks, my son wants that one the most and bugs me every day to find out if I went to a store to find one.

I checked a local site, and they apparently have 100+ Dragon's Peak Pack incoming at $30 a piece. I'm looking to get one myself, and can pm you when they land if you like.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Just figured I'd note that it's entirely possible to play with an unopened figure on the portal of power. So be weary of ebay sales. Not sure how the ownership wiping works, but just because it's in a box doesn't mean it hasn't been used. (Though if they de-reg it from their console, then I'm not sure if it matters.)

Magnus Condomus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 20, 2012

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Does it really matter since you can wipe it yourself anyway?

The only real negative I guess would be people who buy the figures, register them for the completion and then return the product to the store? That's not even really a downside for the game, though.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Does it really matter since you can wipe it yourself anyway?

The only real negative I guess would be people who buy the figures, register them for the completion and then return the product to the store? That's not even really a downside for the game, though.

Ah, if you can wipe them yourself then yeah, not that big a deal. Like I said, no idea how the wiping works.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Magnus Condomus posted:

Ah, if you can wipe them yourself then yeah, not that big a deal. Like I said, no idea how the wiping works.

There is a wiping and ownership transition option in the game, so there's no real fear of getting a 'unopened, pre-played' character. I suppose only the most fanatic person that is obsessed with the concept of 'completely untouched' would care, but that kind of person I think would deserve it.

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings
While the tech behind this is neat and I'll admit that it's a good idea, I'm not a big fan of Activision turning children into little consumer whores over colourful characters that they NEED in order to do THE THING! Kids don't realize that they're being sucked in to a marketing gimmick.

And knowing Activision, Toys For Bob is now going to become a full time 24/7 Skylanders farm until Activision has run the concept into the ground and then dug up the corpse and beaten every last drop of blood out of it.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Skeeter Green posted:

While the tech behind this is neat and I'll admit that it's a good idea, I'm not a big fan of Activision turning children into little consumer whores over colourful characters that they NEED in order to do THE THING! Kids don't realize that they're being sucked in to a marketing gimmick.

And knowing Activision, Toys For Bob is now going to become a full time 24/7 Skylanders farm until Activision has run the concept into the ground and then dug up the corpse and beaten every last drop of blood out of it.

I would rather my daughter wanted Skylanders than Squinkies Shes 6.5 and was asking about them a lot, now I don't hear about it at all :D

The same goes for my 4 yo son, but with Kung Zhu Battle Hampsters

You clearly do not have children, there is no way from preventing them from being "consumer whores" or falling for marketing gimmicks, short of not allowing them to watch any TV (impossible if you have daycare/baby sitters) or not allowing them to have any contact with other children, neighbors or school. because at least 40% of the "I wants" come from what other kids talk about. The best you can do as a parent, is not give in to everything, and decide which gimmicks will provide the most enjoyment for your money.

For reference, my kids go to a Catholic private school, attend hip-hop dance classes, Tae-Kwon-Do, and the oldest just started Gymnastics.
He likes hotwheels/matchbox, Lego, and imaginext, she likes dolls, barbies, and lego. I am perfectly OK with them wanting Skylanders, a videogame I can play with them (I dont mind it when I 'have' to play Lego either)

As for Activision, they are a lovely company, but they are a company, so their D-baggedness can be understood, even if not wanted.

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings

LumberingTroll posted:

I would rather my daughter wanted Skylanders than Squinkies Shes 6.5 and was asking about them a lot, now I don't hear about it at all :D

The same goes for my 4 yo son, but with Kung Zhu Battle Hampsters

You clearly do not have children, there is no way from preventing them from being "consumer whores" or falling for marketing gimmicks, short of not allowing them to watch any TV (impossible if you have daycare/baby sitters) or not allowing them to have any contact with other children, neighbors or school. because at least 40% of the "I wants" come from what other kids talk about. The best you can do as a parent, is not give in to everything, and decide which gimmicks will provide the most enjoyment for your money.

For reference, my kids go to a Catholic private school, attend hip-hop dance classes, Tae-Kwon-Do, and the oldest just started Gymnastics.
He likes hotwheels/matchbox, Lego, and imaginext, she likes dolls, barbies, and lego. I am perfectly OK with them wanting Skylanders, a videogame I can play with them (I dont mind it when I 'have' to play Lego either)

As for Activision, they are a lovely company, but they are a company, so their D-baggedness can be understood, even if not wanted.

I'm criticizing Activision's unethical child marketing, not your parenting skills dude.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Skeeter Green posted:

I'm criticizing Activision's unethical child marketing, not your parenting skills dude.

I think he was more saying, 'everybody else is doing it too.' Not that it's being condoned, but at least on the Skylanders front, Activision isn't doing any greater evil than other toy-churning entity.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Skeeter Green posted:

5er posted:

I think he was more saying, 'everybody else is doing it too.' Not that it's being condoned, but at least on the Skylanders front, Activision isn't doing any greater evil than other toy-churning entity.

Correct, I didn't take it personally at all, simply providing a point of view from a parent.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Gann Jerrod posted:

Got another win over here! Thanks for the link. Not too interested in variants but I'll gladly take a free one! Now if only I could find Sunburn and Wham-Shell, I'd have a complete set until Giants comes out. Say what you will, game is fun!

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings

5er posted:

I think the whole *must purchase another colourful focus tested character in order to do a thing in this game you already own* part kind of pushes it over the edge for me. I don't think "everyone else does it!" somehow makes it acceptable for Activision to raise the bar.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

This is the only good thing to come out of the lovely online game

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Magnus Condomus posted:

"Mom, why is that dragon breakdancing?"

Skylanders doesn't bother me. If I had a kid s/he would probably be all over it and I wouldn't mind. It doesn't seem to be catching on in my country, though. No idea about the rest of Europe.

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

Gann Jerrod posted:

Nice, that actually worked and I won one. Thanks!

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Ebay is my new best costly friend. Got a cheap Dino Rang and a snipe off for a $17 Sunburn. Hoping that I'll win the Stealth Elf and Prism Break that I have offers on currently, so I can access all areas of the game. Pretty annoying that there are "rare" Skylanders in Europe, as both Camo, Warnado and Wham Shell go for insane prices. Hopefully they'll produce more, so it won't stay that way. There's a €110 Wham Shell with still 4 days left. Sick.

Lars fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 24, 2012

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Lars posted:

Ebay is my new best costly friend. Got a cheap Dino Rang and a snipe off for a $17 Sunburn. Hoping that I'll win the Stealth Elf and Prism Break that I have offers on currently, so I can access all areas of the game. Pretty annoying that there are "rare" Skylanders in Europe, as both Camo, Warnado and Wham Shell go for insane prices. Hopefully they'll produce more, so it won't stay that way. There's a €110 Wham Shell with still 4 days left. Sick.

Aren't Dino Rang and Prism Break the same element?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skeeter Green posted:

I think the whole *must purchase another colourful focus tested character in order to do a thing in this game you already own* part kind of pushes it over the edge for me. I don't think "everyone else does it!" somehow makes it acceptable for Activision to raise the bar.

How is that any different from CCGs or Pogs or Pokemon or whatever else you want to talk about? "Hey kids, collect them all" is like the defining motto of toys. When I was a kid there were tons of toys where you got one part of a toy in a set with another and had to buy all of the toys to get the full Ultrawhateverthefuckitwas.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Magnus Condomus posted:

Aren't Dino Rang and Prism Break the same element?

Oh, they are. Thought he was an Air - then I'm sorta glad it got sniped from me, even though I had put in a €6 overbid. Doesn't matter much, I splurged on a Warnado with shipping from the US, since it was the one my kid wanted the most. Will make for a good present when it gets here.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Bumping from the bowels of Games... for those of you with kids (hopefully most reading this thread) it's worth noting that they've been updating the online game a fair bit and it now has achievement type objectives and, my kid absolutely loves this, you can "rent" Skylanders you don't own for half an hour for in-game currency. This is obviously only in the online game but we've had fun checking out everyone's dance etc.

I think there's also an IOS game either out or coming soon where your web codes work as well.

I still maintain that despite the game being a bit of a money sink we're getting a lot of entertainment value for our money.... for a 4 year old that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

The IOS game actually looks pretty decent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWBEp9m-a7c

• Locked thread