Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Then again a kid that puts hours into Minecraft building stuff is probably not going to be dragged away from Minecraft in the first place.

There are a couple of things that might tempt us toward Infinity at some point:

* The DLC Toybox levels and whether they'll keep providing free ones. Skylanders is pretty mercenary with additional content... kind of. The iOS stuff is free/cheap and the fact you can stick your codes in and get your characters adds a lot of value to it. But in-game content is a real rip-off.
* Perry the Platypus (who has been in the marketing but isn't out yet. My kid is a huge Phineus and Ferb fan)
* Post Christmas price drop

At the moment he seems to be convinced I told him he could have one for Christmas and assumed that meant he could get the other for his birthday in mid-January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Perry and Jack Skellington keep me hanging in.

Swap Force will happen in our household regardless for two reasons. My boy adores the franchise for one, and it's a PS4 launch title for two. GameStop doesn't have the 'Dark' preorder pack for the PS4 which is a bummer. They tried suggesting I get the PS3 copy because the figures will work just fine with the PS4 version eventually... but I asked if it was confirmed that the PS3 version would get that $10 upgrade to next-gen like some other titles are getting, and kinda shook their heads in doubt. No sale.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'm in the same position! But my kid is absolutely insisting on the "dark" version so I'll get it for the PS3... and probably cancel my PS4 pre-order because that can wait a while. He's only five so having exclusive figures is way more important to him than slightly better graphics.

I did some looking around and the PS4 version looks real nice though.

Also as someone note... why the hell is there no Vita version? It would be great on the Vita.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Gravy Jones posted:

Also as someone note... why the hell is there no Vita version? It would be great on the Vita.

Probably because the system just isn't successful enough, though I guess the same argument could be made as to why they've started doing Wii U versions as well.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Oh, so this is what my 7 year old cousin has been leaving all over the house every time he visits. Thanks OP!

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
A pretty detailed video describing some of the new features has been released. Nice to see they're really taking advantage of the jump mechanic and mixing things up, though I hope the new minigames are less tedious than Skystones and lock picking.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Apparently the uk had an Skylanders competition

Winner won every single swap force toy.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Behonkiss posted:

A pretty detailed video describing some of the new features has been released. Nice to see they're really taking advantage of the jump mechanic and mixing things up, though I hope the new minigames are less tedious than Skystones and lock picking.

My kid loves skystones and happily plays it for hours. He's five going on six though so maybe it's a target audience thing. One thing I hope Swapforce continues is the presentation of and slow upgrading of the hub worlds. Giant's hit this out of the park. You end up with a hell of a lot of content on Flynn's ship. Also... if you've never done it before, make sure you check out the music box next to the cabin. I love this sort of detail. The same goes with the crowd chanting the character's name in those arena challenges. I like that they don't skimp on presentation and polish.

Now Swapforce is imminent I'm seeing a lot of the figures from giants heavily discounted. So I've been picking up a few at half price that my kid can have for Christmas. If he hasn't had them before and they work in swap force there still be new powers and stuff to him.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm in the same position! But my kid is absolutely insisting on the "dark" version so I'll get it for the PS3... and probably cancel my PS4 pre-order because that can wait a while.

Oh god dammit I forgot about the 'Dark Edition'. gently caress. gently caress. Black and silver Slobbertooth is adorable and Blastzone looks like he's got a permanent happy face. "Yaaay I've got bombs let's make everything explode :buddy:!"

At least preordering netted me both the Light Core Hex and $4 off of Halloween Eyebrawl. The offer was supposed to be for half off of a standard Giants figure but I'm only missing Drobot and Triple Trouble and the store couldn't get either of them. I wouldn't have picked him up at full price since he's a no-effort figure and the only difference between it and the standard figure in-game is his 'special' tag :downs:. His 'eye' also looks suspiciously like the Assassin's Creed logo.

It's a shame that Boomer doesn't seem to be getting another release. Yeah, he's a hideous pantless hairy little psycho but he's a total monster in the games. When he jumps in the 3DS games nothing below survives the ensuing hail of dynamite. It's nice that Whamshell and Camo are returning, though. Crab :3:.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you buy those frito lay family packs for your kids, you can get $10 off the swap force starter pack (I would assume this also applies to the dark edition, probably not the large bundle walmart is doing)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Some deals:

TRU circular has 20% off skylanders (should work with swap force preorders online) http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/media/trus/DP100413A_BigBrands_Deals_Base.pdf

Also, their skylanders deals on week 1

quote:

TRU – B1G1 40% all Skylander figures and accessories. This is a mix and match sale that includes all video games and all Disney Infinity figures and accessories.

For rewards members only: Free Special Edition Gill Grunt figure with total Swap Force purchase of $100 or more.($100 does not need to be purchased at one time) Expires 12/31/13.

Gill Grunt coupon will be emailed by 1/18/14 and expires 1/31/14

They will be doing midnight releases in select stores: http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=23729666

Someone also made a day 1 list to sort out all the day 1 store exclusives and variants http://skylanderscharacterlist.com/shopping-list-skylanders-swap-force-day-1/

I would not bother with any lightcore except starstrike

edit: also some walmart in louisville broke street date on the 3ds version

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 5, 2013

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Midnight event is tonight, in case anyone missed it. They (or at least my) TRU closes at 10, and reopens at 12. Keep in mind that their b1g1 40% is not actually 20% when you consider figurines costs more there than any other retailer. Don't buy lightcore there at any rate.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I would not bother with any lightcore except starstrike

WHATEVER UNLESS YOU GOT BLING LED'S YOU AINT GOT poo poo

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

John Romero posted:

spyro, remember this motherfucker

Oh god who combined him with a pug :gonk:

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Got the dark edition this morning with my son. So far it's very good. The puzzle challenges being co-op is a welcome change.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Gamestop couldn't figure out how to take the frito lay coupon. lame.

They went and made another one though, not sure if there is a coupon attached to it

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Funny you say that because the guy at GameStop led out today with, 'you don't have a Frito Lay coupon? Bummer.'

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They had some OTHER frito lay coupon and couldn't match mine up for some reason.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Haha, the main menu has a prompt to press x for "legal". when you hit it, it presents your kid with a 63 page arbitration agreement.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

That legal document is amazing and almost none of it applies to the console game. It's hard to harass and badly upset any other users of the product when it's local-only co-op :v:.

I've done a little messing around with Swap Force and the different figures. The light core figures do work for the older games, appear as the closest pre-existing figure and are appended with 'special' tags. For example, series 3 Light Core Warnado will pop as series 1 Warnado (special). I'm not sure if they're affected by level caps or not. The new portal seems to work okay with the old games so no fuss there :toot:.

Worth nothing, though, the series 3 Dark Spyro pops as series 2 Spyro (special). Plain Spyro-rear end Spyro. It's weird as hell considering there's been a Dark Spyro since series 1. So, unlike the other new figures of old dudes, the new Dark Spyro is not a functional replacement for the series 1 figure.

It's loving weird.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

TRU emailed me, apparently they're releasing ten new Swap Force figures tomorrow with "limited quantity". Great.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

5er posted:

TRU emailed me, apparently they're releasing ten new Swap Force figures tomorrow with "limited quantity". Great.

Any word on if and when they'll be available on their website? I don't have a physical store near me any more.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Behonkiss posted:

Any word on if and when they'll be available on their website? I don't have a physical store near me any more.

No word at all and I did poke around after getting the email. I'm sure we're seeing the same website. I am guessing this is an in-store special event thing.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wave two is already available at many sams clubs. Hopefully this includes the double and triple packs though. Everyone will probably have it by november.

Apparently gamestop's system is hosed and only accepting one type of frito lay coupon (some end with a 7 in the barcode, some end in 8). No idea if they'll fix that.

I havent gotten to play past the initial level yet, but I'm happy to hear the changes they've made with heroic challenges and stat upgrades.

edit: also, does the ninja stealth elf get her ninja garb through the upgrades, or is the fact that she looks exactly like reg stealth a bug?

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 16, 2013

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

edit: also, does the ninja stealth elf get her ninja garb through the upgrades, or is the fact that she looks exactly like reg stealth a bug?

I read/saw in some preview that it's an upgrade. Dunno why they did that.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

You're not the only one experiencing that particular issue. Giant Bomb's quick look showed that, too. One of the last upgrade unlocks does mention unlocking the ninja costume so you should reach it eventually. The series 2 figures of the original guys did something similar and confused the gently caress out of people as to why the in-game characters looked different than the toys. Bash did get his armored faceplate eventually :v:!

The Dark Ninja Stealth Elf seems like it has a tweaked costume and looks more like the ninja outfit without the mask. The standard was probably supposed to use that model with the regular coloration but at least that late tree upgrade should fix it? It's not as odd as Dark Megaram Sypro showing up in Giants as a standard series 2 Spyro (special) but I suppose their options were either to label him as standard series 2 and retain his ability to use wow-pow stuff or toss the extra moves out and have him pop as series 1 Dark Spyro. I still have to confirm what he pops as in the original game.

It's kind of scummy that shop item availability seems mostly (totally?) dependent on one's Portal Master Level. Stars increase that level and stars are obtained via level completion, challenge completion and owning certain numbers of specific figures. I really don't like that activating a sidekick has a three-star bounty considering the little bastards aren't readily available. Yeah, I have some, but for someone just entering the series it'd be a pain in the rear end. For being so sparsely distributed you'd think they'd have some use apart from bouncing around and being adorable, but...

... They are really adorable, though :3:.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The 2nd wave leak is a store-only thing for Toys R Us. I think when they run out, that's it til the 2nd wave properly drops.

From what I can tell, a Life swap force guy with a 'dig' property is in that pile, but I don't see Earth or the 'stealth' option. Those mercenarious fuckers.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
grabbed a Grilla Drilla and Fire Kraken at TRU this morning. They weren't in huge supply (I saw maybe 6-10 of each 2nd phase character go out the door).

5er
Jun 1, 2000

treeboy posted:

grabbed a Grilla Drilla and Fire Kraken at TRU this morning. They weren't in huge supply (I saw maybe 6-10 of each 2nd phase character go out the door).

I grabbed Grilla, and that scorpion looking normal character per emphatic request of my son. I passed on the others for the time being because they had affixes I could do without... and I pretty much want to leave a few out to get him for Christmas. I'll probably cave in and get Fire Kraken later because he's pretty cool looking.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

5er posted:

The 2nd wave leak is a store-only thing for Toys R Us. I think when they run out, that's it til the 2nd wave properly drops.

From what I can tell, a Life swap force guy with a 'dig' property is in that pile, but I don't see Earth or the 'stealth' option. Those mercenarious fuckers.

They didn't release the more popular giants figures until near the end, and did very limited releases of them until later.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 19, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

A Yolo Wizard posted:

They didn't release the more popular giants figures until near the end, and did very limited releases of them until later.

No one giant had a specific attribute that would bar you access from somewhere, if you didn't have it. You either had element triggered doors, or giant triggered doors. Swap Force however has the special mobility attribute though, and everybody's assed out of 'stealth' doors for a while to come, or 50/50 doors with an earth attribute.
On those split element doors, can you have the second player be the alternate element? Will that manage to work?

I felt motivated to get caught up on a few outstanding o.g. Skylanders achievements yesterday. Followed some instructions from a youtube guide, and corrected that irritating glitch with 'Gotta Buy Them All'. Actually managed to get my first platinum trophy after all these years.

Arvannies
Apr 13, 2005

5er posted:

On those split element doors, can you have the second player be the alternate element? Will that manage to work?

It does indeed work.

I don't know if it's a glitch or what but playing with my son while he's using Slobber Tooth is annoying as hell. His upgrade that sucks in everything apparently includes the other player as well. Not so good when you're playing on nightmare and need to keep moving...

Arvannies fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 20, 2013

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Smolderdash is kind of awesome. By far my favorite that I've played since the beginning.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Bunk Rogers posted:

Smolderdash is kind of awesome. By far my favorite that I've played since the beginning.

Good to know it's not just me. There's something so satisfying about that fire whip. It's like she's a miniature Balrog or something.

Grim Creeper is also pretty sweet.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

I haven't found any new favorites yet (granted I only have the Dark Starter + Warnado) but I really like Ghost Roaster. Phantasm skull charge with knockback and the ability to regenerate health while harvesting the souls of the dead? Who would say no? It just sucks that he's still series 1 exclusive and part of such a hard to find level pack. I can understand Boomer not getting a new figure because of the whole not wearing pants thing, but :psyduck:.

I'm hoping that Popthorn is this game's answer to Wrecking Ball. They both just look so happy all the time :3:.

Did anyone see the 'exclusive variant' Dino-Rang that Toys r Us was supposed to have? What's it look like?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I obviously backpedaled on my earlier statement of 'no sale' regarding waiting for the PS4 release. Such is life when you're a grown-assed adult that still likes toys and has an 8 year old reminding you daily that Swap Force was coming out soon. Now I'm hoping that there will be a way, via digital purchase or something, to get a subsidized copy of PS4's Swap Force when it drops. Disney Infinity would also be nice.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

5er posted:

I grabbed Grilla, and that scorpion looking normal character per emphatic request of my son. I passed on the others for the time being because they had affixes I could do without... and I pretty much want to leave a few out to get him for Christmas. I'll probably cave in and get Fire Kraken later because he's pretty cool looking.

both are very cool looking, but I'm biased...

I can't wait for Freeze Blade and Punk Shock to come out and see how much people like them

5er
Jun 1, 2000

In my conquest for Skylanders platinum, I have this week moved over to Giants. The one bastard-assed elusive trophy that wrenched copious vulgarisms out of me, was 'Clean Jersey.' That's the turret mini-game on the airship where artillery shells are fired at you... and you have to complete that poo poo without getting hit once.

I remember putting an hour into it once last year, waiting for my kids to be asleep, for fear of training them in new, social services summoning methods of expressing murder. I rued returning to the point this week where I'd be facing this nemesis down once again, and genuinely, it did not disappoint. Last night, with kids abed and my girlfriend asleep so I wouldn't have to put up with her criticisms of my poor language while playing video games, I put another fruitless hour into it. I came to the conclusion there was no way one person could do this poo poo alone.

Then it occurred to me.

Tonight, pursuant to my 8 year old son's good behavior earning him some console time, I enlisted him to be my second gun. We cut up screen responsibility, right half for him, left half for me. We hosed up the first try, largely due to just warming up and feeling out how we'd cooperate, put up with shooting down sheep and barrels for a couple resets, then on the second try, nailed the hell out of it.

This just further cements my opinion that Skylanders is one of the best parent/kid co-op games you can get.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This game and thread make me want to borrow someones kids to have adorable video game adventures with. Also so I feel better about buy the most fabulous Skylanders. Also who do I yell at for more DROBOT!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I just got a 'while supplies last!' email from TRU- apparently some of the 2nd wave Swap Force figures are in stock to order from their site. I couldn't resist, and ordered Fire Kraken, and that undead boxer monkey looking dude.

• Locked thread