Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Holy loving poo poo when I first saw this I thought it was going to take at least the whole month (and that was me being very optimistic), but they're sitting at $348,780 right loving now!!!! This is awesome, people are awesome and Double Fine is awesome. Just donated 15, very excited about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thrakkorzog posted:

If nothing else, this acts as a pretty good counterpoint about PC gamers just being a bunch of pirates. $60 for a by the numbers buggy FPS, "Meh, I don't know." $15 for a new Tim Schafer Point and click game, "loving sold."

This model seems like the perfect way to combat piracy: make enough sales before the game is even made. Granted, it only works for the handful of devs that have enough cult of personality to make people pay sight unseen.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, it's definitely a case of Step One: Be Tim Schafer.

On the other hand, it's loving Tim Schafer, give him your money.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Submitted my $15 pre-order around an hour ago.

Gonna also chime in and say it was because of Schafer being on the project. For an indie game, make it $5-$10 for me to obtain a copy at release, and we can probably do business. Higher than $10 will require a reputation I can scrutinize or at least give them a last shot before I write them off as a hasbeen.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I've never really played Double Fine games besides Brutal Legend, but I gotta say this project is seriously awesome, if only for giving fans deeper involvement in the game's production. Publishers should seriously watch what happens here, a genre deemed "unprofitable" has almost broken even in a few short hours.

This should encourage some experimentation in game development! :)

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
When I read this all these memories flooded into my brain, of clocking DotT and Full Throttle as a child. Put in 15 bucks partly because I am poor, partly because I want to play the game, and partly because I really like stuff like this (money going straight to the main guys past the middlemen). Gonna be cool to play a point and click adventure game that isn't Jolly Rover.

EDIT: gently caress, 91% funded with 33 days to go.

Schneider Inside Her fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 9, 2012

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Temascos posted:

I've never really played Double Fine games besides Brutal Legend, but I gotta say this project is seriously awesome, if only for giving fans deeper involvement in the game's production. Publishers should seriously watch what happens here, a genre deemed "unprofitable" has almost broken even in a few short hours.

This should encourage some experimentation in game development! :)

I doubt the target alone will break even on the project. The staff pic for Double-Fine alone is over 20 people, and unless they're paid in ramen noodles and just enough to cover rent, the staff's time alone in the next 9+ months will be over $400K.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.

Andrigaar posted:

I doubt the target alone will break even on the project. The staff pic for Double-Fine alone is over 20 people, and unless they're paid in ramen noodles and just enough to cover rent, the staff's time alone in the next 9+ months will be over $400K.

I don't think that it's the entire staff of Double Fine, it says Tim Schafer + a small team, so they'll be getting paid decently or at least I really hope so.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, I assume that it'll be a small splinter group that works on the adventure game while the other Double Fine staffers continue working on the publisher products.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

I am literally stunned at how much support this is getting. It has steadily been going up at least $500 a minute and holy poo poo it does not appear to be stopping. They will easily hit the $400,000 mark by tonight, but I'm curious to see if people are still going to continue to donate after the $400,000 mark.

Not that there's any reason for the donating to stop - I mean, people are still going to get their preorder + documentary bonus.

EDIT: $9000 TO GO WOOP WOOP

Buff Baby fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 9, 2012

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Tiara posted:

I am literally stunned at how much support this is getting.

Considering it's an adventure game, it is rather surprising.

Tim did just make a tweet that going over means more betterness at least.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Tiara posted:

I am literally stunned at how much support this is getting. It has steadily been going up at least $500 a minute and holy poo poo it does not appear to be stopping. They will easily hit the $400,000 mark by tonight, but I'm curious to see if people are still going to continue to donate after the $400,000 mark.

Not that there's any reason for the donating to stop - I mean, people are still going to get their preorder + documentary bonus.

I have no doubt it'll keep going, people want Double Fine to do well by this and will certainly aim to double the original target by the end of the month! I have a feeling this will earn over a million by the deadline.

Edit- TARGET ACHIEVED!

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

That was really, really fast.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

HEYS GUYS WHO'S PSYCHED AND PUMPED AND GODDAMN CRUNK FOR A NEW TIM SCHAFER POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURE GAME

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Huzzah! Now give a $400,000 budget to Jane Jensen so we can get a real Gabriel Knight 4.

And Anachronox 2!

EDIT: This is reminding me of when Conan announced his comedy tour and was selling out venues literally within minutes of the announcement. I have to imagine Double Fine is feeling pretty good about the support.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
WOW!! at $400,000 already, I must say I am really excited to see where they go with this. I've enjoyed most of their other games (stacking aside). I know my gf and I both played through Pychonauts and Costume Quest, each while the other wactches, normally we just watch one play and that is good enough. I hope this new game bring the same excitement!

AND Bring back Richard Steven Horvitz, who was the voice Actor for Raz! He also did Zim from Invader Zim, AND Alpha 5 from Power Rangers! as well as Daggit from Angry Beavers

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0395777/

Dbhjed fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 9, 2012

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Project just broke 400k! See y'all in October!

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

No it's really not that, he was passive aggressive and brought up an argument he had with supporters over twitter instead of confronting them which is basically the actions of a middle schooler

Haha, I could give a gently caress how he treats his fans as long as he's willing to bankroll some neat games that otherwise wouldn't get made. Who cares about this stupid nerd drama?????

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's like Soylent Green. It may be the tastiest thing on the planet, but it's still people.

Likewise, it may be a great game but it still has someone as horrible as Notch being a major backer. It taints the entire experience.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bah, it's not like Notch is a total loony. He's just a goofball.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

Temascos posted:

I have no doubt it'll keep going, people want Double Fine to do well by this and will certainly aim to double the original target by the end of the month! I have a feeling this will earn over a million by the deadline.

Edit- TARGET ACHIEVED!

If this keeps on increasing at the speed it is now, goddamn. Double Fine will have enough money to make a AAA blockbuster game by the end of the month. It would be really interesting to see what a million dollar point and click adventure game by Schafer would look and play like - I'm imagining that it spits out kittens and rainbows every ten minutes.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I wouldn't be surprised to see this at $700,000 by the time I wake up in six hours.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Checking out Twitter, not only is Tim freaking out and thanking the whole internet, but Ron Gilbert points out that the original Monkey Island had a total budget of $135,000.

So logically this means we're going to get a game that's at least three times as good as Monkey Island.

64fanatic
Oct 21, 2008

So crazy? DON'T MIND IF I DO!
Incredible, I donated 100 an hour back and its already over 400,000 dollars.

This is amazing.

bugs
Aug 10, 2010
This is pretty insane. I was thinking about waiting until tomorrow to see where it was at and pitch in $15, then an hour or two later it's already hit the limit. Locked in my 15, here's to a hopefully refreshing video game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

quakster posted:

Bah, it's not like Notch is Hitler. He's just a major autistic fucker.

Yes. And everyone together pooled more than Notch ever could anyway.

Put in my $15. Sorry Tim, but that's all I can do at the moment.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Ddraig posted:

It's like Soylent Green. It may be the tastiest thing on the planet, but it's still people.

Likewise, it may be a great game but it still has someone as horrible as Notch being a major backer. It taints the entire experience.

I've never played Minecraftm but if he's willing to use all his newfound fortune to give me a Double Fine adventure game and a Psychonauts sequel, then I really don't give a gently caress about what happened with his own game.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Grozz Nuy posted:

I've never played Minecraftm but if he's willing to use all his newfound fortune to give me a Double Fine adventure game and a Psychonauts sequel, then I really don't give a gently caress about what happened with his own game.

Yeah basically. I don't care if Psychonauts is funded with Nazi gold as long as it happens.* And I'm thrilled that this adventure game dealio is happening as well.

*I would probably be slightly bothered by a Nazi gold funded game, but if it was Psychonauts 2 I would still buy it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
How the gently caress is Tim Schafer so goddamn charismatic.

I'm just waiting for the day they find like, seventy dead hookers in his basement and the news anchor bookends the report by reminding everyone of Psychonauts and so he walks free.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

I'm just waiting for the day they find like, seventy dead hookers in his basement and the news anchor bookends the report by reminding everyone of Psychonauts and so he walks free.

It will happen while this game is in development, he'll ask for another 400 grand for legal fees, and we will all donate.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Tim Schafer created some of my favourite moments in gaming through the 90s. If only 90's me knew that I'd someday have my name in the credits of a Tim Schafer adventure game. :D

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Dan Didio posted:

He's delightfully eccentric instead of Howard Hughes eccentric.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

quote:

Q: How do I get access to the beta?

A: On Steam. Isn’t Steam the best?!

Since when does Steam permit this sort of thing?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Chairchucker posted:

Yeah basically. I don't care if Psychonauts is funded with Nazi gold as long as it happens.* And I'm thrilled that this adventure game dealio is happening as well.

*I would probably be slightly bothered by a Nazi gold funded game, but if it was Psychonauts 2 I would still buy it.

Theres also the whole element of judgement of the guy that bugs me. So he did something childish and petty under the public eye? Well whoopdy loving poo poo. I get pissy and snap at people if I skip lunch. Every one slips and does something unpleasant from time to time, but most people don't get branded internet loving hitler for it.

Minecraft is a good thing, Notch spends not insignificant amounts of time promoting other indie producers for no gain, so even if he has a childish twitter fight and the con he hosts goes unpleasant, gently caress it. Net positive.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rinkles posted:

Since forever. I've had preview builds of various games through Steam for ages. Some are set to expire after a set period, some turn into the final game.

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Since Tim Schafer asked them.

EDIT: ^Yeah I think the Natural Selection 2 beta is run through Steam.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Since forever. I've had preview builds of various games through Steam for ages. Some are set to expire after a set period, some turn into the final game.

I believe you, but would you care to name some?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

There's betas of Super MNC, Garrys Mod 13, Dota 2 and probably some others actively running on Steam as we speak. Hell, Valve actively advertise running betas as a function of Steamworks.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rinkles posted:

I believe you, but would you care to name some?

Deus Ex Human Revolution, Total War 2: Fall of the Samurai, Warlock: Masters of the Arcane, Men of War: Vietnam etc. And they've had public betas, too. In fact Super Monday Night Combat is in beta right now, and people who preordered Red Orchestra 2 got a preview build of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

^^^Thanks as well.

The Kins posted:

There's betas of Super MNC, Garrys Mod 13, Dota 2 and probably some others actively running on Steam as we speak. Hell, Valve actively advertise running betas as a function of Steamworks.

That's news to me. Thanks.

e:So I guess the only issue is selling Betas through Steam, which isn't the case here or any of the examples.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 9, 2012

• Locked thread