Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny
Someone tweeted this to CliffyB "think of it as donating money to PBS instead of investing it in NBC"

Makes sense right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Is all of the money getting invested into the project?

For 15 bucks, you get the game which translates to basically a "lost sale" for all the alpha funders. How does that work?

It mentions this in the FAQ of the kickstarter page:

quote:

All money raised will go to make the game and documentary better. Additional money means it can appear on more platforms, be translated into more languages, have more music and voice, and an original soundtrack for the documentary, and more!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

emoticon posted:

It's not going to change the system other than (hopefully) encouraging other video game veterans to try to fund their niche game ideas through crowdsourcing. Just look at today's Activision earnings call. Look at those numbers. A million dollars from 25,000 people is nothing.

Sure, 1 million from 25k people is nothing if you use the EA's success metric. But to give it a more possitive spin: if you look at it as "people giving in good faith out of passion for an idea" it's quite a lot.

Also, I have the closest Money Shot (so far):

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It just occurred to me not all of the backers get the game: only 13,570 Backers, those who've given $15 or more.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Color Printer posted:

It just occurred to me not all of the backers get the game: only 13,570 Backers, those who've given $15 or more.

All the backers get the "all previous reward tiers." So it is like a pyramid. only the higher tiers only have 1 available.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Dbhjed posted:

All the backers get the "all previous reward tiers."

Yeah, but the minimum backing is $1. Is that number "these people are only getting this level" or "these people gave $15 or more"?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Is all of the money getting invested into the project?

For 15 bucks, you get the game which translates to basically a "lost sale" for all the alpha funders. How does that work?

I'm imagining that the game is going to come out at the $15/$20 mark, meaning that anyone that ponied up $15 in the kickstarter is basically just a really advanced pre-order.

I think the point of this is so that Double Fine can make an adventure game without having to bet everything on the financial viability of the project. I doubt this is a venture that they've marked out as something that will turn a significant profit. By funding the project like this, they've at least ensured that they're not going to lose money making it.

Double Fine gets to make the game it wants to make and be guaranteed that it's not going to cost them their independence. The fans get a game that they've been clamoring for for some time. Sounds to me like a proposition where both sides win.

Color Printer posted:

Yeah, but the minimum backing is $1. Is that number "these people are only getting this level" or "these people gave $15 or more"?

The former. If you want to count that up, you'd need to sum up the totals of the higher tiers as well.

EDIT: The sum total of those rewards is 25,717 with an even 26,000 contributors. So, almost everyone has a copy of the game.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 10, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Color Printer posted:

Of the 26,027 backers (as I type this), 25,745 have pledged $15 or more.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Color Printer posted:

Very good question I was looking at it as separate, but I want to say you have to add all the tiers, how many people are going to give less than 15 that means they will have to pay more of the game then people that didn't donate (not that its a bad thing)

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Color Printer posted:

I think the 13K-ish number is just for those who reached the "$15 or more" level, so you can add all of the numbers for each category up. That ends up with about 25.7K people who donated $15 or more. I think that's how it works, anyways.

E: what those guys up there said.

Get in the house!
Feb 6, 2011

Can I come in?
No.

Arzy posted:

Someone tweeted this to CliffyB "think of it as donating money to PBS instead of investing it in NBC"

Makes sense right?

Did CliffyB say he didn't like this? Isn't CliffyB the same subhuman who claimed it would be physically impossible for Gabe to make a good game, or run a company, because Gabe was fat?

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Nice observation by RPS

RPS's John Walker posted:

And it’s impossible not to observe that on a day when gamers give a million dollars for a game that doesn’t yet exist, Ubisoft’s customers couldn’t play games they’d paid for and received. The contrast is important to notice.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

Get in the house! posted:

Did CliffyB say he didn't like this? Isn't CliffyB the same subhuman who claimed it would be physically impossible for Gabe to make a good game, or run a company, because Gabe was fat?

No, he just said that he doesn't understand how someone making a significant contribution couldn't some equity on the project. He's still happy for DoubleFine.

Shmitty
Oct 21, 2008

The Flying Milton posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining a million dollar adventure game that has no publisher input and makes pure profit from the moment it is released.

We'll get an awful game, the curtain will be pulled back, and we'll all see that the only think keeping Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer in check were publisher restrictions.

In reality, it will probably be amazing and hilarious. I do wonder if they have to stop this whole thing at some point. They've raised over a million and it's still climbing with 33 days to go. It will taper off at some point, but still. It's supposed to be a point and click adventure with only a small team developing it. If they still want it out in October, they can't get TOO ambitious with it even if it ends up being funded by an Olympic-sized pool filled with money.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Do I hear ISOMETRIC RPG?

http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisAvellone/status/167668841458040832

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Why isn't there a green You're a Baker stamp in your screenshot, mister?

He copied, but he didn't pastry correctly. :downsrim:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

emoticon posted:

It's not going to change the system other than (hopefully) encouraging other video game veterans to try to fund their niche game ideas through crowdsourcing. Just look at today's Activision earnings call. Look at those numbers. A million dollars from 25,000 people is nothing.

I would claim that expecting to raise 400k in a month and instead raising a million in a day is in fact, something.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Do I hear ISOMETRIC RPG?

Somebody quoted this a few pages back. It'd be pretty sweet, though, if it did come to fruition.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ShinAli posted:

No, he just said that he doesn't understand how someone making a significant contribution couldn't some equity on the project. He's still happy for DoubleFine.

That's not how Kickstarter works, in a nutshell.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Shmitty posted:

We'll get an awful game, the curtain will be pulled back, and we'll all see that the only think keeping Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer in check were publisher restrictions.

In reality, it will probably be amazing and hilarious. I do wonder if they have to stop this whole thing at some point. They've raised over a million and it's still climbing with 33 days to go. It will taper off at some point, but still. It's supposed to be a point and click adventure with only a small team developing it. If they still want it out in October, they can't get TOO ambitious with it even if it ends up being funded by an Olympic-sized pool filled with money.

It's probably enough to change their plans or ambitions, but it can still totally be funnelled into one game. I'm just thinking art assets, voice talent, dev hardware, and then things like Mac/PC versions, distribution in various regions, actual marketing and commercials, merch, possible DLC episodes and so on. The more $$$, the more they can do, and in a situation like this, when it's all in the hands of the creative developers, it's absolutely fantastic.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
As people have been saying, its very important to note that, if you're looking to make a big profit, its not like Kickstarter is gonna change anything. You still need big publishers for that sort of thing.

All that is being guaranteed here is that Tim Schafer won't go Psychonaut part 2 and work his rear end off making a great game, only to lose money when everything is done, he's guaranteed to win money here, even if its like 15 bucks from a single sale.

What this also means is that if your game was not gonna make it big anyways, it will surely do better if it has a successful kickstarter, as a plus, it will probably be better too, due to the bigger investment, so, it'd be nice if more developers that weren't making it big (like Bethesda) started doing this.

I'm thinking Obsidian, SuperGiantGames, the dude that made Super Meat Boy/Binding of Isaac, etc, etc, the list goes on and on.

SGRaaize fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 10, 2012

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I like this because it brings back that feeling of 'games being made because we love to make games' that I haven't felt from the industry since I was a kid. :unsmith:

e: Though this isn't entirely fair and hasn't been since the indie games started rolling out.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 10, 2012

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Actually I'd really like to call bullshit on everyone saying "this means nothing compared to the $$ of the big boys". I think raising a million dollars in one day with no advertising and no previews is unprecedented in like any creative industry ever

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

the black husserl posted:

Actually I'd really like to call bullshit on everyone saying "this means nothing compared to the $$ of the big boys". I think raising a million dollars in one day with no advertising and no previews is unprecedented in like any creative industry ever

I'd almost agree with the no advertising notion except that the blogosphere exploded so violently all night long that you couldn't do anything gaming related online without seeing a link to the Kickstarter page. Free advertising via pretending to be humble?

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Sure, okay. So is selling 9.3 million copies of CoD3 on the first day, $1 billion dollars in sales the first week or so.

edit:

Andrigaar posted:

I'd almost agree with the no advertising notion except that the blogosphere exploded so violently all night long that you couldn't do anything gaming related online without seeing a link to the Kickstarter page. Free advertising via pretending to be humble?

Google Double Fine and you'll see that practically every game publication picked up the story.

edit: Just to be clear, I'm really happy for Tim Schafer and I contributed. But this isn't some kind of industry changing victory for the little guy that will teach big publishers a lesson about what the people really want

emoticon fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 10, 2012

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

It's not really "free advertising" as much as it's a holy gently caress games story that no journos in their right mind would ignore.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Do I hear ISOMETRIC RPG?

The amount of money I'd kickstart for Planescape Torment 2 would be absurd.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

This is getting advertised in the entire Internet, it won't ever reach Billion of Dollars.

But again, you shouldn't take that negatively or anything, this Kickstarter thing might legitimately be the best thing for the videogame industry and the great developers that are being overshadowed by generic franchises.

Its just not big bucks, but again, its not trying to be.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Don't get me wrong - this is a big deal - but I don't yet know how wide an impact this'll have. Seems like it'd be hard to pull this off if you're not a creator with a dedicated fanbase.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

He didn't pay for it, it was free advertising, which is to say, it's people telling everyone else about it not because they are paid to do it, but because they love his creations and they want more. He's not "pretending to be humble", people are spreading the word because they WANT to.

It's very different.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011

FoneBone posted:

Don't get me wrong - this is a big deal - but I don't yet know how wide an impact this'll have. Seems like it'd be hard to pull this off if you're not a creator with a dedicated fanbase.

Just the fact that this can be pulled off with a creator with a dedicated fanbase is already pretty good. This idea opens the door for dozens of well known developers to start selling games not to have them be very marketable because they don't wanna risk losing money but to have them be great.

Edit: And again, I'm thinking people like Obsidian, SuperGiantGames, whoever created Super Meat Boy, the creators of Painkiller, etc, etc.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
This case is certainly not going to be the norm, because there's only on Tim Schafer (who's also so closely linked to one particular genre), but hopefully it'll open avenues for people to acquire the 30k of 50k they need to quit their day jobs and realize an idea. Think of someone like Zach from Zachtronics, on the basis of his flash games I'd totally given him 10 or 20 dollars if he had pitched Spacechem on Kickstarter.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. It's a new thing, we didn't even have the infrastructure to do something like that a few years ago, so who knows where it can go?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Definitely starting to slow down now, but might still get to 2 million.

Either way an incredible success.

edit: ok maybe it isn't slowing down.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 10, 2012

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Arzy posted:

The amount of money I'd kickstart for Planescape Torment 2 would be absurd.

Unfortunately it can't really happen because of licensing issues. At best you could make an homage.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the best part is that unlike most other kickstarter ideas that have a concept and maybe some mock ups, all they gave us was a genre and said "This is what we've done in the past, and this is who we have to work on it." and people are literally throwing money at them sight unseen.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

theblackw0lf posted:

Definitely starting to slow down now, but might still get to 2 million.

Either way an incredible success.

Well, slowing down is a relative term. In the hour since they've hit a million, they've made 51k, so they're still averaging almost a thousand a minute.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
They're just a few thousand dollars away from becoming the highest-earning Kickstarter project ever.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
I wonder how many people are donating... just to see how far this thing will go. I know I am one of them.

I haven't played any other double fine games. I may have to look them up.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Anyone claiming that this isn't a significant financial and publicity milestone in audience-commissioned entertainment is a contrarian moron. The publisher-as-gatekeeper situation is detrimental in every way but share price.

I loved psychonauts, DOTT etc so bad and I hope this encourages them to do bigger and bigger projects in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Anyone claiming that this isn't a significant financial and publicity milestone in audience-commissioned entertainment is a contrarian moron. The publisher-as-gatekeeper situation is detrimental in every way but share price.

I loved psychonauts, DOTT etc so bad and I hope this encourages them to do bigger and bigger projects in the same way.

Oh man, don't get me started on the publisher as gatekeeper argument. In every hobby of mine (board games, video games, RPGs) there's that one rear end in a top hat who thinks publishers keep people honest and halt the flood of lovely titles from no-name talents. We're always arguing about the lack of originality in video games but who do you think keeps the originality out? Not the designers, that's for sure.

• Locked thread