Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.

Dan Didio posted:

How the gently caress is Tim Schafer so goddamn charismatic.

If Tim Schafer asks for it, Tim Schafer gets it.

If he asks you to join the other 699 hookers in his basement while he readies his stabbing knife, you do it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

^^^Thanks as well.

That's news to me. Thanks.

e:So I guess the only issue is selling Betas through Steam, which isn't the case here or any of the examples.

That 1..2...3 game was a paid beta/alpha thing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Tiara posted:

If Tim Schafer asks for it, Tim Schafer gets it.

If he asks you to join the other 699 hookers in his basement while he readies his stabbing knife, you do it. :colbert:

"If you let me stab you to death, I'll tell you my idea for Full Throttle 2."

Tell me you wouldn't at least consider that for a moment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Red Dragon posted:

That 1..2...3 game was a paid beta/alpha thing.

Wasn't that some sort of exception?

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Sold some Magic: The Gathering cards, gave the money to Schafer. So happy that this is happening, and they let us in on it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Crappy Jack posted:

"...does Mark Hamill come back?"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I kind of want to donate some more cash, but it's a real bummer that you can't increase your pledge, just overwrite it. I'd have to pay $130 to increase my pledge by $70. That seems like something they should have worked out by now.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Hakkesshu posted:

I kind of want to donate some more cash, but it's a real bummer that you can't increase your pledge, just overwrite it. I'd have to pay $130 to increase my pledge by $70. That seems like something they should have worked out by now.

Can't you just cancel your original pledge? It's not drawn from your account until 33 days from now.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Rinkles posted:

e:So I guess the only issue is selling Betas through Steam, which isn't the case here or any of the examples.

It's exactly the same as Natural Selection 2. Give them money, they give you a steam code for the beta. The other betas probably work exactly the same, without the giving money part. It probably won't be on the store front until released, no.

I'm sure there's plenty of small text details that goes into these agreements, but for the most part it seems Steam is willing to provide a number of codes for devs to distribute themselves. They probably charge the devs on activation or something, who knows.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lars posted:

Can't you just cancel your original pledge? It's not drawn from your account until 33 days from now.

Ah, I'll do that. I thought they charged you immediately.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.

Crappy Jack posted:

At least I'd die happy, knowing that the world will eventually be better with Full Throttle 2 soon in existence. :smith:

Hakkesshu posted:

Kickstarter.com posted:

How do I change my pledge amount?
Enter a new amount in the pledge amount box. Note that you are not adding to your existing pledge; the amount you enter will be the total amount collected if this project is successfully funded.[/b]

Just click the "Manage Pledge" button on the Kickstarter page.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tiara posted:

Just click the "Manage Pledge" button on the Kickstarter page.

I couldn't figure out whether or not it would charge you the total amount or just the amount you increased it by, but I guess if they don't charge you immediately, you can just increase your pledge by whatever and you won't be charged extra. Wish they had made that clearer, but it doesn't matter now.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 9, 2012

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hope this gets a lot of attention. I'm not into adventure games anymore but I can definitely think of some niche genres I'd be interested in funding.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Hakkesshu posted:

Ah, I'll do that. I thought they charged you immediately.

Nope :) They even put in the "If we don't get the $400.000, we won't charge you at all"

Good times. Really happy that somebody as known as Shaefer is willing to challenge the publishers and run with this. (A local Indie company have tried the same route for their game Interstellar Marines and it seems to be working decently for them as well.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Where on earth is he getting the $100,000 number for paying two guys to shoot eight months of short doco pieces?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Putting 30 more bucks into this strange dream-machine we've got here. Have to make sure they have money for coffee. I'd donate more, but my last paycheck barely covered the paper it was printed on.

Edit: vvvv Nope, I work in a place where I get called in when I'm needed, and considering I was spending most of December trying to get my foot to work again after a couple of fractures, there wasn't much work I could get into. Hence less of a paycheck.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 9, 2012

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

evilmiera posted:

Putting 30 more bucks into this strange dream-machine we've got here. Have to make sure they have money for coffee. I'd donate more, but my last paycheck barely covered the paper it was printed on.

Do you work as a waiter in food service? That's the only job I can think of where this is a regular occurrence.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Dan Didio posted:

How the gently caress is Tim Schafer so goddamn charismatic.

Coincidentally, I've just finished a replay of Psychonauts (stopping just before the Meat Circus) - nearly seven years in between runthroughs - to see if it held up. First time round, I zipped through it and missed a lot of the optional stuff in camp, as well as half the brains.

First thoughts this time? drat, the platforming is even more annoying than I remember. Precision jumps are a pain in the rear end with that drat camera. Boss fights are slogs even after you figure out what you need to do. WHY WON'T YOU ATTACK MY TARGET. That sort of thing. I normally can't stand platformers, so why would I want to keep playing something that has so much stuff that needles the crap out of me?

Two reasons: writing and acting.

Matadors and luchadores in a blacklit Pamplona. G-men and girls selling cookies in a warped, gravity-defying suburb. Memories locked away as Viewmaster slides, complete with k-thunk noise. Lungfishopolis. Keeping track of the other kids at camp - each one with missable scenes and their own arc. Trying all of your psi powers on everything you see and getting a unique response. There's more joyously inventive stuff here in a single level than in some entire games. And Wolpaw & Schafer's writing is backed up by outstanding voice acting. There's very little anime style slow-reading overenunciating bullshit. The timing and editing is impeccable and just about all the funny lines are legit funny.

So okay, you say, that's one game. Wherefore the rep? Take Psychonauts' strengths and apply 'em to some of his other games. He cowrote Day of the Tentacle with Dave Grossman, and that's one of the tightest plotted (and best voice acted) adventure games of all time. Same thing with Grim Fandango. And the not-entirely-successful but atmospheric Full Throttle. At Lucasarts, right place right time.

So you take that rep and marry it to a studio (not unlike Pixar or Valve, now that I come to think of it) that cultivates an air of really enjoying what they do in Double Fine and you have the makings of a nerdsourced cult of personality. It's a short hop from there to announcing an adventure game that has better than even odds of being completely loving awesome.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The kick starter is almost gonna break 500k. I bet it's gonna reach 700k by the end of the day at this rate.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Well, I wasn't gonna pay this kickstarter (I'm poor :ohdear:), but I'm definitely glad its going well.

Adventure games are the poo poo and they are very rare now, the only ones I know of are the ones made on AGS (which have some gems, but most of them are kinda lovely or too short) and the loving Telltale games, which are just an atrocity.

I don't care if this is gonna be a point and click or a Psychonauts-esque Platformer, as long as its for the PC, It'll be a first day buy.

Actually, I might pay 10 bucks to get the Steam version at this point, considering its gonna be made for sure.

With this much money, this might be the best Point and Click game ever, Tim Schafer has gonna have a lot to live up to.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

PonchAxis posted:

The kick starter is almost gonna break 500k. I bet it's gonna reach 700k by the end of the day at this rate.

I guess my prediction of making 800k by the end of the month was off, they'll hit that by halfway through Friday 12.00 GMT! Everytime I hit refresh it goes up by an insane amount, and now some of my friends from uni are interested in donating too. This is immense.

EDIT- $500,000 mark hit! Woah, how much are they making per minute!?

Temascos fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 9, 2012

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It would be pretty funny if by the end of this it ended up pulling more money earned than a AAA title and it's not even started being made yet.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
They should make another Laura Bow game and you can die a bunch of horrible deaths in it. Oh, wait, Tim didn't make that. He made a bunch of pussy baby adventure games where you can't lose.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

big duck equals goose posted:

They should make another Laura Bow game and you can die a bunch of horrible deaths in it. Oh, wait, Tim didn't make that. He made a bunch of pussy baby adventure games where you can't lose.

Being able to die because you play badly is a good thing. Being able to die arbitrarily because you decided to walk into a certain room at a certain time is bad. Laura Bow has the bad kind of being able to die.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Oops you skipped the 2 pixel-wide key in the first scene of the game! You're stuck in the second half of the game now ~teehee~

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Chairchucker posted:

Being able to die because you play badly is a good thing. Being able to die arbitrarily because you decided to walk into a certain room at a certain time is bad. Laura Bow has the bad kind of being able to die.

The bad kind of being able to die is when a decision you made 2 hours ago and cannot fix means you die, and your save is basically ruined.

Going into the wrong room at the wrong time and getting killed in a bizarre way is funny and not remotely a problem if you have been saving early and often, like the game tells you. Hell, finding all the ways to die in Space Quest was half the game, and the announcers disses were brilliant.

A modern game could just keep a checkpoint save in every safe room. Problem solved.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

big duck equals goose posted:

I'll contribute to a Laura Bow Kickstarter if you point me to it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Finally a cure for having money!

At this rate, the list of contributors will be longer than anything else in the credits combined.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ddraig posted:

It would be pretty funny if by the end of this it ended up pulling more money earned than a AAA title and it's not even started being made yet.

I agree, pulling in more than 100x it's target would be pretty funny.

If gamers didn't have a sense of entitlement before...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, I love the amount of rage this goodwill fan service project is generating on here. Goons are such whiny assholes.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

mutata posted:

Haha, I love the amount of rage this goodwill fan service project is generating on here. Goons are such whiny assholes.

There's been a total of three people voicing concern in this thread, and maybe one of those could count as rage. So I guess I agree, that seems like a suitable amount of rage. And while I'm sure "whiny rear end in a top hat" applies to a lot of goons, I'm not seeing it in this thread.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
If you like Tim Schafer or are interested in the history of his games and you haven't seen the video he did for Gamespot's Video Game History Month, it is totally worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-YJxFxmyDI

Take my money, Mr. Schafer.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shanty posted:

There's been a total of three people voicing concern in this thread, and maybe one of those could count as rage. So I guess I agree, that seems like a suitable amount of rage. And while I'm sure "whiny rear end in a top hat" applies to a lot of goons, I'm not seeing it in this thread.

Don't mind me, I had just missed my bus and was stranded in 35 degree cold when I wrote that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The King of Swag posted:

I tried to donate some money, but Amazon says that the functionality for payments has been disabled on my account. I also can't edit my account settings; this apparently isn't uncommon from the looks of a quick google search.

Did you ever do any of that amazon Mechanical Turk stuff back when a bunch of goons were automating that poo poo? I remember it being mentioned in another kickstarter thread that MT-enabled accounts can only receive money, not send it, so they don't work with Kickstarter.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Time Schafer is a pretty well known man in the games industry, with many very successful titles behind him.

Why didn't he go to a bank?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Probably because with a bank there's an expectation that you will pay them back plus extra. If your project is not successful, you could end up owing quite a bit of money.

This way, what basically happens is that they get a bunch of money that they can use to soley create the game without the obligation to "pay it back" beyond making a fun game that people want. People are donating out of the goodness of their hearts, a few nice "pre-order" bonuses, and a copy of the game when it finally comes out.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

Time Schafer is a pretty well known man in the games industry, with many very successful titles behind him.

Why didn't he go to a bank?

Have you thought of including multiplayer? Maybe a point and click adventure game could easily transform into a 3rd person open world game like GTA. How will you market to the under 14 demographics?

poo poo like that, I imagine. Banks put conditions on loans, in addition to making addition money from it through interest, so it would likely have an effect on their development

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm apparently a little late to this party, but I just pledged $15 as well. Because why the hell not? Something this awesome should be supported.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
No one is late to the party until the funding closes. There is so much time to throw in your fifteen or more bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

My favorite thing about this is Tim didn't even have to make a pitch. He didn't have to go into a room full of CEOs and justify making a video game, or whip out any documents to show how a point and click adventure could generate ad revenue.

He literally just went on the internet and said "Hey internet, I'm Tim Schafer and I want to make another point and click game" and the internet gave him half a million dollars to do it.

• Locked thread