Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaxon
Nov 4, 2009

Now I think it's all right we're together
Now I think that's a riot
Now I think it's the best you've ever played it
Now I think that's a riot
I don't even like adventure or PC games and I'm still gonna donate just for the documentary. $15 for a Tim Schafer + Double Fine movie? HELL YES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
You know, I'm all for a kickstarter, but the whole "You get to see the game before its made" sounds like a terrible idea.

Maybe make a documentary and show us when the game is out, but I would imagine I wouldn't appreciate Grim Fandango and Psychonauts if I knew everything that was gonna happen before I even started playing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I might actually throw some money their way, it's incredible how quickly they've reached their mark and I'm excited to see the development. I played those LucasArts games growing up, feel kind of bad for not playing anything in the last ten years :\

They should really have a Kickstarter for the Dark Souls port to PC.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
They updated the page.

quote:

WoooooooooOOOOoooOoOoooOOooo!

UPDATE: We did it! 100% funded in just over eight hours. You people are amazing! But it's not over yet. The number keeps going up and now the question is just how much news do we want to make with this? We're getting a lot of attention already and it seems like this little project could have an impact beyond itself.

All money raised will go to make the game and documentary better. Additional money means it can appear on more platforms,translate into more languages, have more music and voice, an original soundtrack for the documentary, and more!

Your backing and comments have been truly inspiring to me and the team, so on behalf of Double Fine and 2 Player Productions I want to say THANK YOU!!!

I can't wait to see where this thing can go!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Today I helped make Tim Schafer happy. What more could one ask for?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Tim Schaefer: "Hey guys I know times are tough and all but I could get back to work if you'd give me some donatiOOOOOHHHHMYGOD"

I hope the flood of goodwill put a smile on the guy's face. I got the impression that Brutal Legend's development cycle put him in a bit of a funk for a while.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok, now create a Psychonauts 2 kickstarter, set the goal on a humble 10-15 millions mark. Now go.

I give it 2 weeks

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I'm not even a big fan of Lucasarts adventure games and I'm pitching in on this. Anything to encourage independant game development and Double Fine on Pc.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SGRaaize posted:

You know, I'm all for a kickstarter, but the whole "You get to see the game before its made" sounds like a terrible idea.

Maybe make a documentary and show us when the game is out, but I would imagine I wouldn't appreciate Grim Fandango and Psychonauts if I knew everything that was gonna happen before I even started playing.
List of people who are forcing you to participate in the beta:

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
So, Tim Schafer just woke up from his 6 hours sleep, excited as he turns the Computer on and checks the Donations for his Kickstarter.

Tim Schafer @timoflegend posted:

Kickstarter records so far: Most funds raised in the first 24 hours. Highest number of backers of all time, and growing! Good morning! :)

Hope this makes up for the poor sales of Psychonauts :unsmith:

Duke of Straylight
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I donated nothing. :colbert:

I did preorder the game for 15 bucks though. Entertainment for money, not going to call it more than a business transaction.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quakster posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to watch the making-ofs until after the game's out and I've played.

I'm more worried at his promise that fans will have input on the game's design.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Farbtoner posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to watch the making-ofs until after the game's out and I've played.

Yeah, this has me a bit worried, but I'm gonna hope DF's smart enough to limit that sort of thing to stuff like "Vote for your favorite logo design" and stuff like that.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Farbtoner posted:

Input is not the same as control. In the end it's Tim Schafer's project, and he knows what he's doing. He'll make a good game.

Besides, he'll already have our money so ultimately he can do whatever the hell he wants.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Psychonauts is massively overrated and Jack Black's ironic metal adventure was a complete piece of poo poo, but I hold out hope that Tim has another awesome point and click adventure game somewhere inside of him so I'm in for $15 to help him rip it out. I hope this game doesn't suck!

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011

quakster posted:

Gonna be real hard to resist checking and avoid discussions regarding the game with people that know what's going on

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I have to say a huge reason I want to see this done is because I hope for something as memorable as Grim Fandango to be released.

Although some of the puzzles are a bit ehhh in it, it's the best adventure game I've personally played. The symphony of music, art, and writing/voice acting is just something else to me.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
If it manages to be a quarter as good as Grim Fandango, I'll consider the donation worth the effort.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SGRaaize posted:

If it manages to be a quarter as good as Grim Fandango, I'll consider the donation worth the effort.

It's an adventure game. By Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert. Which I helped pay for.

It's already worth the effort.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ddraig posted:

So I guess this has no publisher attached so it has no strings attached... apart from the strings of every entitled gently caress who donated money and now wants their idea in the game because god drat it they helped pay for this loving thing etc.

If this project has only one failure mode, this is it. I would like to coin this kind of paid-community backlash as "the minecraft effect" :eng101:

Granted, Minecraft already had a sort of Alpha build ready when he started taking donations. Anything after Minecraft officially went beta is roughly on par with the "preorders" that Double Fine is essentially selling now that they've hit their $400,000+ mark.

Also it seems like Tim Schafer has quite a bit more business savvy and business management experience under his belt.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't have a PC, but it looks like the money raised is well over the amount needed to port it to macs. Thus, I donated the $15. Looking forward to it!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

If this project has only one failure mode, this is it. I would like to coin this kind of paid-community backlash as "the minecraft effect" :eng101:

Granted, Minecraft already had a sort of Alpha build ready when he started taking donations. Anything after Minecraft officially went beta is roughly on par with the "preorders" that Double Fine is essentially selling now that they've hit their $400,000+ mark.

Also it seems like Tim Schafer has quite a bit more business savvy and business management experience under his belt.

Not to mention development experience. Once you strip away all the Notch froth, the main and most righteous complaint about Minecraft is that it became horribly top-heavy, piling features and updates on without much thought given to how they would affect previous ones (and that's when an update wouldn't just break the game outright). Schaefer's one of the big game design auteurs, so the odds of him making that mistake are pretty much nil.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Farbtoner posted:

The way he mentioned it in the video, combined with the images shown at the time, makes me think it'll be more like how Megaman Legends 3 was being developed before it got shitcanned - the art team or sound team or whatever create some rough concepts and iterate on them based on voting. So, probably more hand-guiding then stuffing everyone's bad attempts at comedy in there.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Hadlock posted:

At the end of the day those extremely obsessed critics will show up whether you've developed WoW, Assassin's Creed, Minecraft.... it doesn't really matter.

I'm donating not for a game to be the second coming of my childhood gaming bliss but just in appreciation. Tim and Ron are creative mofos that deserve to keep on keeping on. If they get some sperg rage out of this, well every developer gets that now. But I bet the game rules.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Two men walk into a bar, and one of them says "adventure games are dead" :mmmhmm:.

Anyway, how much do you people think this is just about people being angry at them big money publishers with their focus testing an' deadlines an' sequels i have to buy every year, or is there a viable long-term business model buried somewhere in this perfect storm?

Discuss.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

StoryTime posted:

or is there a viable long-term business model buried somewhere in this perfect storm?

It worked for Mount & Blade, Minecraft, and other indie games before. It's an extremely viable model to develop a small budget game on pre-orders, but you of course need to make a heck of an entrance and have the kind of ideas people want to see developed.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

StoryTime posted:

Two men walk into a bar, and one of them says "adventure games are dead" :mmmhmm:.

Anyway, how much do you people think this is just about people being angry at them big money publishers with their focus testing an' deadlines an' sequels i have to buy every year, or is there a viable long-term business model buried somewhere in this perfect storm?

Discuss.

I don't think its about publisher spite, at least not almost $800k of publisher spite. I'm sure there's a number of backers where that's the case, but I think most of it is a genuine interest in a Tim Schafer adventure project.

I think using this as their main business model would become diminishing returns quickly, but for a few one off projects every few years that wouldn't be able to get made otherwise, I think it has legs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Spiky Ooze posted:

At the end of the day those extremely obsessed critics will show up whether you've developed WoW, Assassin's Creed, Minecraft....

The key difference here is that games like WoW, Assassin's Creed and other commercial titles were only shown to the public/game journalists when they had reached a relatively high level of polish in the late beta stage.

I guess it really hinges on how you view your "preorder" with games like these. Basic functions like item chests weren't even implemented when Notch opened up the game for preorders. When the game is at that early stage of development, and I hate to use this word, but some people feel entitled that their opinion might carry some weight with the developer. If you buy a game after it's functionally complete, complaining about features/functions carries (in my opinion) a lot less weight. You saw the trailer, maybe played the demo and probably read at least one review before making your purchase of the completed game.

In this situation, at this point Double Fine has at best a concept (that they haven't shared) and probably a software framework from previous projects. Now, it's subjective, but investing money at this stage in the production process, even earlier than the Indev stage of Minecraft, many more people are definitely going to feel justified in getting involved and voicing their opinions loudly.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

StoryTime posted:

Discuss.

Of course selling directly to fans and bypassing major companies is a viable model, it's been a viable model in just about every creative industry for several years now. It's no longer an open question.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Spiky Ooze posted:

It worked for Mount & Blade, Minecraft, and other indie games before. It's an extremely viable model to develop a small budget game on pre-orders, but you of course need to make a heck of an entrance and have the kind of ideas people want to see developed.

Sure, but you'll have to agree that the magnitude of this is on another level. We're closing on a $million for just an idea and a name drop, in a very short time.

It's kind of hard to believe that all of this is just from old fans wanting to see another adventure game. Of course it could be that I'm just getting too old to understand how the internet works anymore. drat.

Anyway, I put my money in the moment I saw this, I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 9, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Beanpants posted:

I don't think its about publisher spite, at least not almost $800k of publisher spite.

I don't know man, there's a lot of spite on the Internet.

But to be honest, I wish they could get as much of the original crew of MI 1 and 2 together (even the ones that hate each-other) with some of that extra money. I mean, if this guy can essentially use nostalgic magic to get a hold of 800 thousand dollars, why can't we continue to dream?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Shame nobody reads manuals anymore. I miss Jo "Captain Tripps" Ashburn's name popping up in credits.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
One way to handle that kind of user input thing without actually giving in to the masses' stupid ideas would be to have periodic polls like "Okay, so what happens to Ladycomb Fourpsteel next?: A. Something awesome. B. Something funny. or C. Something stupid no one will actually vote for." and let that be considered user input.

Yeah it's kind of a shill way to do things, but it's better than the alternative.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am ok with that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

"What should I have for lunch tomorrow?

A: Ham and cheese sandwich

B: A healthy salad

C: Ham and cheese sandwich with a side salad"

And have that be the only thing posed to the community. Donaters get a picture of Tim Schafer enjoying his lunch.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
In the Kickstarter page, they say they will let the fans vote in case the Developers can't decide on something.

Meaning, we would vote between two or three great decisions the developers have thought of, but can't decide which one is best due to conflict amongst themselves.

That's both something that matters and something that won't gently caress the project up, so don't worry about that.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

Mazreal posted:

One way to handle that kind of user input thing without actually giving in to the masses' stupid ideas would be to have periodic polls like "Okay, so what happens to Ladycomb Fourpsteel next?: A. Something awesome. B. Something funny. or C. Something stupid no one will actually vote for." and let that be considered user input.

Yeah it's kind of a shill way to do things, but it's better than the alternative.

This happened in Gears 3, they had that poll and there's still that scene that could go either way on Carmine dying and it ends up working pretty well.

However they do it I have full confidence in Tim Schafer and can't wait to see all the ins and outs of development (after it's released). 30$ for me, can't wait to see how much they rake in after a month if they're steadily approaching 1 million in a day haha.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Subra posted:

This happened in Gears 3, they had that poll and there's still that scene that could go either way on Carmine dying and it ends up working pretty well.

However they do it I have full confidence in Tim Schafer and can't wait to see all the ins and outs of development (after it's released). 30$ for me, can't wait to see how much they rake in after a month if they're steadily approaching 1 million in a day haha.

I have to imagine it will drop off pretty sharply in 24-48 hours. Especially as the goal has been met.

I'm open to the internet proving me wrong, though!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It'll probably taper off soon but they're gonna double their original goal before that point which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Beanpants posted:

I don't think its about publisher spite, at least not almost $800k of publisher spite. I'm sure there's a number of backers where that's the case, but I think most of it is a genuine interest in a Tim Schafer adventure project.

I think using this as their main business model would become diminishing returns quickly, but for a few one off projects every few years that wouldn't be able to get made otherwise, I think it has legs.

This funding model definitely has potential, but Tim Schafer is a unique case. His name is well known among adventure gamers, and games press everywhere helped spread the word the moment he made the announcement. Double Fine's recent output has also been decent enough that there's little uncertainty about the quality of the final product.

Don't expect a lesser known or newer studio to get the same results.

• Locked thread