Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

it's true, we do

Man, I'm a poor motherfucker and I still want to donate towards this. I'm literally so poor I haven't been able to afford Trenched or Stacking.

*Checks bank*

-$61

I feel like starting a kickstarter project. It'll be called "Please Give Me Money Because I'm Hungry"

Joking aside, all this kickstarter business has me curious. I've been working on and off on a record, my first project as a producer and it's coming along quite well. Has anyone here actually used Kickstarter before? I'd really like to fund the record and, you know, get it mastered, printed, buy gear I've been unable to afford. That sort of thing. I'm apprehensive about using it though because it seems like it's geared towards projects that already have a following or a reputation (such as, you know, Double Fine's impeccable reputation). Is it possible to use it to fund projects even if you're a unknown commodity like myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

it's true, we do

Pangalin posted:

Definitely. You won't get the huge overnight explosion of generosity above and beyond your wildest dreams, but plenty of absolute-nobodies use Kickstarter successfully. It really comes to your pitch and what you're offering in return for donations, from what I've seen. Some really interesting things get ignored, though, and sometimes people hurl their money at the dumbest poo poo. It's kind of a crapshoot but it's worth a shot.

I've no idea how much to ask for, realistically thinking about where the money goes on a record and maybe even throwing in some fancy extra crap like signed vinyl or T-shirts means that if I lowball it, it'll just bite me on the rear end in the long run.

quakster posted:

The existence of the Arkh Project suggests that, yes, it is.

I went to some website about this thing and I don't even know what the gently caress.