Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The King of Swag posted:

I tried to donate some money, but Amazon says that the functionality for payments has been disabled on my account. I also can't edit my account settings; this apparently isn't uncommon from the looks of a quick google search.

Did you ever do any of that amazon Mechanical Turk stuff back when a bunch of goons were automating that poo poo? I remember it being mentioned in another kickstarter thread that MT-enabled accounts can only receive money, not send it, so they don't work with Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Double Fine Insider Secrets! :ssh:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Woo, select android devices.

I mean, I'd be playing this at my computer either way, but still.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

hellocruelworld posted:

I think the decline of TellTale's games has more to do with them going overboard, expanding too rapidly, and biting off more than they could chew. I don't think the ports had much to do with it.

I'm going against the grain here, because, honestly, they haven't "declined" much, if at all.

Sam and Max season 3 was great.

Back to the Future was a love note to the franchise. I really liked it.

I didn't play Jurassic Park, so I can't comment on that one, but one bad game does not a decline make.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

On the other hand today's IdleThumbs Kickstarter hit its goal in 120 minutes flat, so maybe that's all nonsense. :unsmith:

Oh poo poo. Definitely chipping in on that one, too.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

notZaar posted:

That's a neat idea actually. Make it a battery pack with buttons that hooks up to popular phones like the iPhone, that way you get extra juice and tangible feedback controls. If you made it cheap enough and got a killer app for it I could see it taking off, although it would definitely still be niche. There's gotta be something like this on the market already, right?

Not sure if it's the kind of buttons you want, but I'm told you can wirelessly connect a Wiimote to certain bluetooth-enabled android phones and use it as a controller.

No analog sticks, of course.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tested out the Cave briefly on steam. Mouse controls work way better than I thought they'd. (Middle button for special move, right button to jump, click to pick up, double-click to drop). The platforming is a little tedious without a controller to speed things along, but it's fine.

The only complaint I have so far is that it doesn't look like the layout changes at all from run to run? I assumed that those "fall" points were loading transitions so that the cave would be a different series of puzzles based on who you had with you, but it looks like it's the same every time, and you just are forced to walk past the areas that are "personal" to each character because it requires their special move to enter?

Thing I'm curious right now is, based on the Giant Bomb quick look... It seems like there's an "evil" way to solve the personal puzzles. I'm wondering if there's also a more difficult "good" way, that may require a specific combination of characters.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tunahead posted:

each character also has a second ending.

I knew it! Does it involve solving the puzzle differently, or just doing it a second time?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

We have no idea the scale of the game (If it only reaches $700k, it probably won't be that long, for example), so I jumped in at the $20 level. Might upgrade that later if it really takes off, but I'm playing it safe for now.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Curious about other backers: You going to play as soon as the beta is released, or wait for the actual release of Act 1? I'm tempted to play the beta, even if there are bugs and such.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The last video was basically a big presentation of "Well, if part 1 sells way beyond our expectations, we can funnel that money into finishing part 2 faster. ...well, part 1 only sold to expectations, so...poo poo."

I'm willing to give them as much time as they need, because Part 1 was great and I want as good of an ending as I can get.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I was at PAX and checked out the massive chalice demo and how have I never heard of this fantasy xcom game before? I want to pre-order it but the options are bitcoin and paypal. :(

Giant Bomb did a Quicklook EX (as in, they played a build with a Doublefine employee in the room) last week of Massive Chalice, if you want more video of what it's like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8KyN5TZkZA

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Doesn't seem like they're wasting money? It's just that all the writing is falling on Tim, since that's the position he put himself in, and so a bunch of the team needed him to power through the rest so they could do their jobs. Seems like he (mostly) did that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I believed the documentary mentioned that the studio has always been divided into different game subunits. Like, before Broken Age, they were working on Double Fine Happy Action Theater, that Sesame Street kinect game, and... I want to say The Cave(?) at the same time. People get traded back and forth between the subunits as needed, etc. I think this is the first time we've heard about layoffs, though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Telltale's business model is to make one game engine and then run everything in that game engine, saving production costs and speeding up making of the game.

Doublefine made a completely new engine for Broken Age.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

gently caress those big whiny babies, wanting what they paid money for in a timely fashion

Games take loving time, dude. If the options available right now are 'release today, it'll be a half-finished buggy piece of crap' and 'wait two months, it'll be mostly polished', I'll choose the latter.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Eonwe posted:

imagine defending double fine in the year of our lord 2014

lol

Don't know what to tell you. I'd love to play Act 2 today, but I'm satisfied waiting a few more months. I was quite pleased with Act 1. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Eonwe posted:

what does that have to do with double fine being a shitlord developer that just slapped a 1.0 on a clearly unfinished game

I'm not going to defend Spacebase. I understand why they did it (if they're never going to make a profit on it, it doesn't make sense to keep developing it), but I am unhappy about how it was resolved.

But that's basically the only time they've annoyed me. Costume Quest, Stacking, Hack'N'Slash were all fun, small games that I enjoyed playing. Psychonauts was good. Broken Age Act 1 was great. I probably won't early access any games from now on (from any company), but I'll definitely keep buying finished games from Doublefine.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hav posted:

After filming himself throwing money around, less fine. After filming himself throwing money around and having parallel development on more than a couple of projects, I call bullshit and sharpen a pitchfork.

Just to be clear, are you using 'filming his throwing money around' to describe the documentary in general, or the goofy kickstarter video where Tim literally threw around money? Because if it's the latter, that's a loving joke, dude, and if it's the former, are you really suggesting they should dip into the Broken Age money to prop up Spacebase?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I really don't want to play armchair finance person either, but I recall the documentary mentioning that the whole 'four games in development at one time' thing isn't abnormal for DF. Apparently it's deliberately set up that way, and has been that way for years. Like, the different 'departments' will sometimes trade staff members and such. So I think to hypothesize that four games being developed at once was the doom of DoubleFine may be incorrect.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't fault them for ceasing development. I will grant Doublefine's detractors that keeping it the same price in the steam store is a misstep. Just looks bad.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Did the Space Base guy really got fired? I guess that would explain why the things they promised, ie final bug fixes and source code, are nowhere to be found.

The 1.0 update notes says that the 'source code' they're talking about is the unencrypted .lua files that are included in the game directory. Is that not there? I haven't checked.

quote:

The game’s Lua source code is now available in the game’s install directory on all platforms. Usually this will be in your Steam directory, under SteamApps\common\SpacebaseDF9\Data\Scripts. If you own the game you can modify these files and distribute your modifications to other users as you like. A large portion of Spacebase is written in Lua, so there are relatively few limits on what you can do with this.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

From what I heard, the code was going to be cleaned up and an announcement made when the full thing was available. If the LUA code is already available and is just not properly cleaned that should be fine, too. Can't imagine anyone doing much with the game, though -- was there even a community around it? And by community I mean people who actually played and enjoyed whatever was there and not the part-time haters on the Internet.

I haven't been paying particular attention, but there are still people posting on the DF forums for Spacebase that aren't just crying for blood. So it seems like there's still a small, dedicated community.

Not sure how clean the code is. They published it (I think) with 1.0, then did six bug-fix released that presumably would update that code. Last bug-fix release is mid-November. Maybe DF gave them a year of funding to build interest, when it didn't happen, they lost funding and were planning on continuing to do bug fixes, and then when developers were let go (because a deal with a publisher fell through), they couldn't. Or maybe that publisher deal fell through, DF needed to tighten it's belt, and the game was canned, and the devs basically did bug fixes to salvage what they had. Don't know.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Is Indiana Jones, as an adventure game, better known than DotT? I knew a lot more people who played the latter.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Christian Knudsen posted:

Where? When I go to https://doublefineadventure.vhx.tv/watch the latest is Episode 17.

Episode 18 is accessible through the kickstarter page. If you're one of those people that is paying for the documentary without doing the kickstarter, I'm not sure when that updates.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You can just download it directly or...

The email does a poor job explaining it, but it gives you a code you can put into steam to turn on Beta access, which lets you download the update on steam, apparently. 1.6gb update, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I replayed the first half, knowing all the puzzles ahead of time, and just deliberately chose every possible dialogue path so I could hear everything, and that alone clocked in at more than two hours. To get the 1 hour achievement would definitely be possible, but you'd be skipping all the good parts, aka, the writing.

Broken Age took me about the same amount of time to play as a season of Telltale's Sam and Max. That seems reasonable to me.

• Locked thread