Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Fonzarelli posted:

I wish Notch would just shut up like the fat sack of poo poo that he is. He really thinks he's something more than he is, but he's just another goofy chubby bearded game designer, and he never even bothered to finish his drat game. Shut up Notch, go away, you are not a personality or an interesting person.

That video of him and his team playing minecraft kinnect was so infuriating, solely because I'm quite sure he expects people to give a poo poo about his ridiculous hatted head being on screen.

My favorite thing about Notch is that when he donates money or funds a cult project he makes sure everyone knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Beanpants posted:

I don't think its about publisher spite, at least not almost $800k of publisher spite. I'm sure there's a number of backers where that's the case, but I think most of it is a genuine interest in a Tim Schafer adventure project.

I think using this as their main business model would become diminishing returns quickly, but for a few one off projects every few years that wouldn't be able to get made otherwise, I think it has legs.

This funding model definitely has potential, but Tim Schafer is a unique case. His name is well known among adventure gamers, and games press everywhere helped spread the word the moment he made the announcement. Double Fine's recent output has also been decent enough that there's little uncertainty about the quality of the final product.

Don't expect a lesser known or newer studio to get the same results.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

GhostDog posted:

I don't know, it seems to me if your latest claim to fame is being lead designer on a Farmville clone it's highly unlikely you have another classic like Alpha Centauri in you. And even if you have, the devil you sold your soul to won't let you do it.

I think once someone gets a taste of the social games lifestyle, they ain't ever going to go back to working 80 hour weeks to make niche games for a niche audience.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Farbtoner posted:

Er...

:irony:

Hah! Proof that game companies make sequels because people want sequels, even when given the possibility of funding anything they can imagine by any cult game auteur.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

The Grumbles posted:

Telltale seem to have taken game development in a much more sustainable and sensible direction and that's pretty cool.

You say "sustainable and sensible," I say "samey with very few surprises or inspired moments"

The Grumbles posted:

I had was the fact that in all of Schafer's other games the world has always felt much more real, just because in a point and click adventure you don't need to make narrative justifications for game mechanics. In psychonauts though, you not only have all the basic 'press A to jump' stuff pulling you out of the game world, but all these other little contrivances in the script that have to be there to teach the player about all the mechanics.

Well, the weak game world might not be a problem with Psychonauts 2 now that co-writer Erik Wolpaw no longer works for the company. Or it might be more of a problem. Hard to say how much of the original game's relative success was due to his writing.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Spiky Ooze posted:

Behold the truth developers. We're really nerds willing to spend all our money on consumer stuff, if you're worthy of our nitpicky lofty standards of said consumer stuff.

The actual truth is either you develop a cult following among nitpicky nerds with lofty standards, or you make a Farmville that appeals to millions of people with low standards.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Elman posted:

Isn't the whole point of Kickstarter to be able to avoid those risks (By making people "buy" the game before it's even made, instead of making it and then hoping people will buy it)?

Yes, which is why it's perfect for niche projects with cult followings. If your audience is very small, you can get them to pay you to make the kind of game they like and you won't have to do marketing. But as MisterBibs said, it's not proof of an untapped market or vindication that nerds were right all along about mainstream games. If anything, it provides big publishers with hard numbers about the size of a potential market. They can go, "okay, Tim Shafer got 30,000 donors on his project, so we can expect a similar number of sales if we fund an adventure game"

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

GhostDog posted:

But are those 1.4 million additional profit from an untapped market, or will those 1.4 million migrate into the 4 million because "buying the other games is better than having no games at all".

It's not going to change the system other than (hopefully) encouraging other video game veterans to try to fund their niche game ideas through crowdsourcing. Just look at today's Activision earnings call. Look at those numbers. A million dollars from 25,000 people is nothing.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

the black husserl posted:

Actually I'd really like to call bullshit on everyone saying "this means nothing compared to the $$ of the big boys". I think raising a million dollars in one day with no advertising and no previews is unprecedented in like any creative industry ever

Sure, okay. So is selling 9.3 million copies of CoD3 on the first day, $1 billion dollars in sales the first week or so.

edit:

Andrigaar posted:

I'd almost agree with the no advertising notion except that the blogosphere exploded so violently all night long that you couldn't do anything gaming related online without seeing a link to the Kickstarter page. Free advertising via pretending to be humble?

Google Double Fine and you'll see that practically every game publication picked up the story.

edit: Just to be clear, I'm really happy for Tim Schafer and I contributed. But this isn't some kind of industry changing victory for the little guy that will teach big publishers a lesson about what the people really want

emoticon fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 10, 2012

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Leinadi posted:

It would be loving terrible to do a Planescape: Torment 2. There is absolutely zero need for it, the original game wraps everything up beautifully.

Don't worry, they won't be able to get the funds to do a Torment 2. I bet most of the ideas Avellone gets will be completely unworkable because most people aren't aware of how expensive game development is.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

al-azad posted:

Someone needs to call CDPR and ask them how the gently caress The Witcher 2 was budgeted at about $10-12 million USD despite having its own engine and being the equivalent of a AAA title. Is it just a case of everything made in America costing 10x more to produce than other countries? Dragon Age 2 probably cost twice as much (at least) despite reusing resources everywhere and looking like rear end.

Making an isometric game would not cost AAA prices. Modders do it successfully for nothing.

Exactly, modders do it for free. Professionals demand to get paid, and Americans demand higher pay than in Polish developers. Only solution is to outsource development to China or ask everyone to take a pay cut to work on a passion project (even though game developers already get paid less than their equivalents in Silicon Valley).

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Der Shovel posted:

How big do you think this dev team would be? Just how much do you think they'd get paid? It seems that you don't understand just where a huge portion of the ~25 million it costs to make big budget game goes.

You don't need a team of 80 dudes with satellite offices in Shanghai, Montreal and Liverpool to make an isometric RPG / strategy game. 400 000 or some similar Double Fine -esque amount would be a ton of money for what would essentially be an independent project.

You're obviously the industry expert, so if you say $400,000 is more than enough to make an isometric RPG/strategy, I believe you.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Nooo it means nothing internet backlash call of duty one billion dollars game design by committee crowdsource failure lost sale.

It means a lot, they can make 3.5 RTSes (Brutal Legend 2, 3, 4, 4.5) with that kind of money.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Cream_Filling posted:

An 8-bit filk-steampunk zombie game with melodramatic plot and chiptune soundtrack.

Sold, but only if it's a 2D physics-based puzzle platformer that's secretly an allegory for the atomic bomb and/or your dead sister/mom/grandmother.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Sigma-X posted:

Is there some secret here I'm missing?

Yes, games take no money to create (most of a $25M budget goes to satellite offices in Shanghai) and make infinite money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Bohemian Nights posted:

Notch's longevity notwithstanding, and as terrible as it is to say; I actually think the communication paradigm might have changed enough for a tweet to be enough to at the very least kick off actual business deals these days, especially when you consider the type of person behind each end of this tweet.

Why not twitter DMs or email? Who the gently caress does their business deals over a public medium unless they are looking for publicity?

• Locked thread