Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
No one is late to the party until the funding closes. There is so much time to throw in your fifteen or more bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Farbtoner posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to watch the making-ofs until after the game's out and I've played.

I'm more worried at his promise that fans will have input on the game's design.
Input is not the same as control. In the end it's Tim Schafer's project, and he knows what he's doing. He'll make a good game.

Besides, he'll already have our money so ultimately he can do whatever the hell he wants.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to lie, I'd be buying into this even if Schafer had a publisher for it.

However, I will admit that in the last couple years I am exponentially more likely to open my wallet to buy a game or an album if it is directly from the people making it and not through some third-party (or a third party that is minimally invasive like bandcamp or steam). I'm sick of big publishing houses making bad decisions, so I've made a conscious decision to not support the ones I don't like.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo

Taffer posted:

Steam isn't a publisher, just a distributor. They (Valve) don't have any say in the development process.
Ah, what I meant there was I'd rather buy directly from the person making the poo poo instead of through anybody that takes a cut. Bandcamp is also a distributor.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't even understand what r1ngwthszzors means by "lost sale"

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

suesehT posted:

So, fully funded from day 1, with pure profit (minus Steam's share). That's pretty good really.
Don't forget Kickstarter and Amazon's share too. Kickstarter gets a flat 5% of the money and Amazon takes 3-5% in credit processing fees that go to the credit card company or whoever originates the payment.

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/creating%20a%20project#Fees

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Does Notch really have that much money? I thought he had like a couple million.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Gaph posted:

Do backers have to completely fund a game, or could it work with publishers so it's dual funded? Kickstarter is proof of interest in your game + capital raised, could you then shop it to publishers even looking to just match the amount raised? Especially for advertising, localization, platforms, retail -- to spread it farther than just the original backers.
The only rule on kickstarter is that you have to reach your goal on the site, through the site, or no one gets charged and no one gets any money.

So, if you get a huge chunk of money for your project and it doesn't go through kickstarter (say if someone just hands you a check for a couple thousand dollars) it doesn't help your kickstarter any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

maxnmona posted:

Well except there's nothing stopping you from depositing the check and then donating the money to your own kickstarter.
Well, if you're willing to blow 10% of that money on kickstarter's cut and transaction fees, sure.

• Locked thread