Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Holy loving poo poo when I first saw this I thought it was going to take at least the whole month (and that was me being very optimistic), but they're sitting at $348,780 right loving now!!!! This is awesome, people are awesome and Double Fine is awesome. Just donated 15, very excited about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Project just broke 400k! See y'all in October!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The kick starter is almost gonna break 500k. I bet it's gonna reach 700k by the end of the day at this rate.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Goddammit woke up from a long nap and they're almost up to 900k, that is insane. Really feel like playing Psychonauts again and I guess I'll buy it later on steam since I don't have my xbox with me. Also Meat Circus is not that hard, stop crying about it yall bunch of babies :colbert:.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Reminder that Ron Gilbert is still the best:

Also this is relevant:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Laserface posted:

It was advertised for a long rear end time as an adventure game in a heavy metal universe. Even the demo had you essentially playing heavy metal Zelda. Then the full thing came out and you find out that its a one off and the rest of the game is a hamfisted RTS.

Im surprised so many people funded this project after what a gigantic let down BL actually was.
The game informer, where the game was officially revealed actually talked about the rts elements so yeah basically it was known from the start.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Neo Helbeast posted:

Also, Majesco threw all of its marketing money behind Advent Rising instead.

Yup :sigh: and that game was just a huge mess.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Notch just posted a blog about Psychonauts 2.
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/17681692985/hype

quote:

* The budget for doing a Psychonauts 2 is three times higher than my initial impression

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Looking back on the kickstarter when it first came out earlier this year, it really wasn't a good idea to start at literally nothing other than Tim Schafer will make a new point and click adventure game before even developing anything about. But yeah this episode poo poo really does get real.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just played the trial for the cave and it seemed alright. My only beef is controlling the 3 characters and getting them all in the same area but other than that it's pretty charming.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Do not even ask posted:

Episode 8 is finally up on Kickstarter and the DFA backer forum. It features beard shavings, QA testing, a beat up car, and JOHN ROMERO

John Romero still acting crazy warms my heart.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Once I saw the name in the font they chose, I saw it was fine.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I'm going to kickstart this just because of Brad Muir really. Iron Brigade was designed by him and it was one of my favorite games on XBLA. I love X-COM and Fire Emblem and this sounds like a match made in heaven to be honest. I trust Brad Muir he owns.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The documentary plus the side episodes have been loving fantastic and totally worth the 15 bucks I spent on this. Game development is hard and well poo poo like this ALWAYS HAPPENS even with games with publishers. DF's problem was that they just went "we want to make an adventure game!" but people are forgetting that the whole point was to make an adventure game from scratch and film the ENTIRE process of making a game, which includes coming up with the concepts and design.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It's bad because it only took this update for people to get really pissed off, but they've been talking about the budget problems for a lot of episodes in the documentary already. Because DF is transparent with showing all of this its getting people super mad, because this kind of thing happens all the time. As its been pointed out already its pretty crazy that backers/non backers are acting as if they're the publisher demanding the game to be out already.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

maxnmona posted:

To be fair, all of Telltale's games are just...bland and only kind of ok. I mean, I've never played Walking Dead, and I've heard that's better, but their Sam and Max and their Monkey Island games were not in the same ballpark as even Tim Schafer's worst game.

Going to have to agree with this. Telltale's stuff was mostly ok to mediocre and they were looking like they were getting worse with that Jurassic Park game. It wasn't until The Walking Dead that they really stood out from the pack.

E: You should play walking dead, it is really good.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 4, 2013

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Drifter posted:

of course, Gilbert went and embarrassed himself with The Cave.

Oh come on, lets be fair. Gilbert embarrassed himself with Deathspank.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

fronz posted:

What's the thing you're not supposed to talk about? I backed but I don't usually watch the episodes.

The creator of Adventure Time, Pendleton Ward is a voice actor in the game.

E: Also you should watch the episodes, they're really good.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Great episode, 2 parts that stick out where when Tim was disagreeing with Marrick's animations. That was kinda brutal haha, that other guy just looked defeated. The other was them talking about asking Elijah Wood only for Elijah to loving DM him in the middle of that convo. That's pretty good.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Did it feel weird getting interviewed about your playtest session?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Chris Remo posted:

No, that's the point of those sessions. Well, one of the points , anyway.

Ah ok, was just curious about that whole thing. I guess you guys have had the documentary crew filming for an entire year huh?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Eonwe posted:

How do you guys possibly justify space base df9

I don't buy steam early access games?

E: I don't really care if the game was delayed or not. I really liked act 1 and honestly the better polished act 2 will be the better. I'm not a fan of telltales games much because they seem really buggy and rushed. TWD season 1 was like lightning in a bottle they are still trying to produce but it just isn't working for them in my opinion. A wolf among us was kinda just there, walking dead season 2 seemed a little interested but had some bad episodes. Really don't give a poo poo about a borderlands game or the game of thrones game either.

Also iron brigade aka trenched rip was so much fun on 360, it's a shame that they never took out the GFWL. gently caress man it was so good

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 4, 2014

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Eonwe posted:

what does that have to do with double fine being a shitlord developer that just slapped a 1.0 on a clearly unfinished game

I don't necessarily care cuz that game was early access and not something I really wanted to play. Vote with your dollars. The people angry about it not being finished if they bought the game are justified being angry I guess, but I usually just see people use that as an excuse to throw more hate at them despite that they release much more different products. Like that was a JP Lebreton joint or whatever, I would rather play a Brad Muir game instead like Iron Brigade or Massive Chalice.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Eonwe posted:

I am voting with my dollars, I'm just asking why in the year 2014 people are saying 'oh its ok that they totally abandoned a game with no future support, but this other game that they've already run out of money on after delivering only half of - thats totally cool and why are you saying they are lovely devs'

They fired the people who worked on Spacebase. At least they fired JP it seems.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Here's a question-if Spacebase wasn't worth the money they were putting into it, why on earth would they continue development? People are complaining about alleged mismanagement of the company and Broken Age, but there is no greater mismanagement than the fallacy of putting good money after bad. Does it suck for the people who bought Spacebase expecting more? Yeah, but those people did take a risk in buying a game that was still in Alpha. Does it make Double Fine look like dicks? Sure. But you can't seriously fault a company, especially one that is having constant financial issues, for deciding to cut a project that isn't making enough money to justify its existence. It's a ridiculous double-standard, and makes the argument that "Double Fine doesn't know how to manage money!" completely laughable.

Edit: I honestly think at this point that Double Fine's problem is that they're too open, because most people don't understand business or video games and will criticize them without taking the time to seriously consider the realities of either.

Yeah I would have also cancelled development on Spacebase when you find out it wasn't really making that much money. That's just business. Being too open has been kinda bad for Double Fine I'll agree since a lot of people just don't understand that if they kept working on the game it would just keep burning money at Double Fine. But no gently caress you for not finishing the game. Everyone should have known the moment it was early access. This is why I won't buy massive chalice until its out of early access.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don't think a game like spacebase was going to set the world on fire. And I definitely don't think they are getting much profits out if it, even if it was "completed" or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Act 2 codes have been sent out so if you were a backer check your email.

• Locked thread