Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Putting 30 more bucks into this strange dream-machine we've got here. Have to make sure they have money for coffee. I'd donate more, but my last paycheck barely covered the paper it was printed on.

Edit: vvvv Nope, I work in a place where I get called in when I'm needed, and considering I was spending most of December trying to get my foot to work again after a couple of fractures, there wasn't much work I could get into. Hence less of a paycheck.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Beanpants posted:

I don't think its about publisher spite, at least not almost $800k of publisher spite.

I don't know man, there's a lot of spite on the Internet.

But to be honest, I wish they could get as much of the original crew of MI 1 and 2 together (even the ones that hate each-other) with some of that extra money. I mean, if this guy can essentially use nostalgic magic to get a hold of 800 thousand dollars, why can't we continue to dream?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh man, that one I WOULD put 100 dollars down for.

Also, free idea for the documentary: Try and get a video of a couple of minutes to an hour of continued updates to the kickstarter page, zoomed in on the money slowly rising.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

maxnmona posted:

Thanks, I'll pass it on.

*writes "do the most obvious cliche possible" on a slip of paper and hands it to the film crew*

Hey now, don't make me say anything fancy. Just "copy what those other guys did" works fine.

Then again, that takes away the incentive for people to want to pay for the documentary when they can just watch the page on their own. We need to dazzle the audience! Any ideas besides Der Shovel's obvious one?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SGRaaize posted:

gently caress Alpha Protocol, with their own budget, its time they make a new Planetscape Torment-esque RPG.

Hey, we're talking infinite magic-money here, why not let us have all the games from our wildest fantasies? It's like a dot-com boom, but in reverse!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Everyone buying the crazy tiers are skewing the average a little bit.

I think the people who impress me the most are the guys pitching in 250 dollars or more. Then again, that's what I accidentally put into one of the latest steam sales/giftmas-sprees.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

I loved that Tim Schafer acknowledged that the adventure scene is alive and kicking in Germany. :)

The sad thing about that is that I can never get over how awful the VA work is when those get ported over. And I can stand subtitles and an original language in most imported games, but not when it comes to adventure games.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BiggerJ posted:

Old post, but his friend Paul Trowe's casual game company managed to buy the rights to Leisure Suit Larry, and he and Al are working on a LSL7-style remake of LSL1, aimed for release later this year. If it sells, they'll remake the rest and continue the series. They're already selling the VGA version in Intel's app-store-for-PCs. GIVE THEM YOUR GODDAMN MONEY.

There's an Intel App Store? That's probably why I've never heard of this.

What is the store like? Intrusive in any way or about on par with any other service? Cause if it checks out I will be buying myself and possibly a whole lot of people a new old game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Monarch posted:

You're not gonna make back a ~20 million dollar budget by releasing your game on one platform.

The most you can charge on XBLA is $15, which means the most they could sell the game for anywhere is $15. If Schafer's ambition for a Psychonauts 2 is a full, AAA game then they'll have to put out on a disk, especially since it's a platformer which could feasibly be rated E.

Yea the idea of a fully Notch-funded Psychonauts two just seems like wishful thinking to me, unless they go into some crazy co-publishing deal where Notch pays the bills and another company takes care of the logistics.

Aren't there products available that cost more than 15 bucks? I mean, I know most digital download versions of games on the 360 are either xbox 1 or really early 360 games, but aren't those listed for more at times? Or is there a different set of rules for those?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

No, a Steam beta pretty much guarantees a Steam release.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure he's already extolled the virtues of Steam in regards to selling the game and patching it, right?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

AllisonByProxy posted:

Finally got around to throwing in my $15. They are almost at 2 million now which is nuts!

What is nuts is how slow the pace is. Sure, most people who wanted this already donated, so it is understandable. But that doesn't make the wait for that non-magical number any less annoying.

Then again, most people will probably be getting payed in the next week or two.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Now that the kickstarter project has reached 2.3 million, the RPG nerd in me can start looking forward to it hitting 2.4 million. We were right, bigger numbers really are better.

I'm also looking forward to seeing if anything comes of the Wasteland game being made with Kickstarter funds, if that's still the case. Didn't they grab the guy who made Planescape's music for that?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

You mean publishers? I mean I'm sure some developers in the game industry probably hate fun or something but, yeah.

And no, they won't.

Maybe the secret to why games fail is because developers weren't showered in money enough, like very picky plants.

What this might do is make publishers have slightly less of a hold on development, and at this point we'll take anything we can get.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

He doesn't need publishers, he just needs someone in the company, like say the dude who manages all the loving money, to tell him to reel it the gently caress in.

The money dude is shown in the documentaries to constantly be pulling his hair out and stressing and Tim is just like "oh, well, we'll figure it out somehow." Tim should not be running a company.

Didn't the last update say they're basically done with one portion of act 2, sans some animation work?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

lionlegs posted:

Not really from what I can find:

http://members.tripod.com/flaminot_guild/monkey_island_fanclub/id16.html

INTERVIEW WITH RON GILBERT (1998)

Q. What about LucasArts new games, and especially The Curse of Monkey Island?

A. Monkey 3 was pretty good, although I was afraid of the worst. The biggest mistake was that Elaine fell in love with Guybrush. That's something she never would have done.

Also, this:

A. I would really like to do a straight adventure game. After doing Good & Evil I may find elements that really make me want to write another adventure game. I hope Grim Fandango does well and kick-starts the genre.

:sigh:

Well, one could dream. Funny use of a word in retrospect.

Honestly, I hope Ron and DF do fine and will probably support almost any of their efforts. Yeah, their stuff gets hosed up by either their own development or outside sources a lot, but what they produce is always interesting and enjoyable.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Megazver posted:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah, that's not going to happen. Taking a wild, wild guess - they really want this to go away.

EDIT: This makes me happy I decided not to back Thimbleweed Park. Ron seems somewhat... out of touch.

I don't know, if that really was the main criticism of the game then I can sort of get what he's going on about. My personal main criticism was that there really wasn't much to do and what was there was either too easy or repetitive and boring/drawn out. He adresses the level everyone had issues with, which I only vaguely remember at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Glad to finally be able to finish this game. It wasn't exactly the ride I thought I'd signed up for, and it was a bit too bumpy, but I'm glad I got on.

• Locked thread