Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thrakkorzog posted:

If nothing else, this acts as a pretty good counterpoint about PC gamers just being a bunch of pirates. $60 for a by the numbers buggy FPS, "Meh, I don't know." $15 for a new Tim Schafer Point and click game, "loving sold."

This model seems like the perfect way to combat piracy: make enough sales before the game is even made. Granted, it only works for the handful of devs that have enough cult of personality to make people pay sight unseen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quakster posted:

List of people who are forcing you to participate in the beta:

Yeah, I'm not going to watch the making-ofs until after the game's out and I've played.

I'm more worried at his promise that fans will have input on the game's design.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Der Shovel posted:

Good. Less money for vomited out poo poo sequels to sequels to sequels.

Er...

theblackw0lf posted:

Ok Toys For Bob (creators of Star Control 2), time for your Star Control 4 kickstarter project.

StoryTime posted:

FTL Games, bring us Dungeon Master! :colbert:

Palpek posted:

Ok, now create a Psychonauts 2 kickstarter, set the goal on a humble 10-15 millions mark. Now go.

signalnoise posted:

I'd donate for a real LSL game instead of the last two piles of trash we got.

dvorak posted:

Someone needs to get a Kickstarter together for Dark Seed 3. Mike Dawson could probably use the money.

FuriousGeorge posted:

I hope they fake everyone out and make Brutal Legend 2 with that money because, gently caress the haters, I really loved Brutal Legend.

In other news, I'm starting a Kickstarter to fund Star Control 4, Alpha Centauri 2, Darklands 2 and Planescape: Torment 2. Who's in?

:irony:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MisterBibs posted:

I'm excited too, but for a different reason:

One of the traits of a 'post publisher market' would be that in a publisher, fans have the perfect scapegoat if their pet game/show does poorly.

Right now, You can say "My favorite TV show was ruined by the network!", instead of something more accurate. Like "My favorite TV show was so unpopular that commercials of Christina Hendricks saying she goes full-frontal in every episode wouldn't spike the ratings numbers".

What are fans going to do, in a post-publisher world, if they don't have the Publisher Boogeyman?

This is especially interesting considering there was so much backlash against Brutal Legend being a pseudo-RTS and Tim Schafer being so into the concept that after the game came out he made videos defending the gameplay and showing the "right" way to play it. That time they had EA to blame it on, who is second only to Activision when it comes to big game companies that gamers love to hate.

Jesto posted:

So, wait, does the success of this mean Joss Whedon can start a Kickstarter account to get a new season of Firefly funded and raise $100 million dollars in under 6 hours?

... Please? :ohdear:

The idea that fans of a publisher can just commission more of anything they want directly is pretty amazing.

Joss Whedon is directing The Avengers, unless it bombs horribly he'll make enough money to make quirky kung-fu lesbian adventures until the end of time.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hakkesshu posted:

One thing I've been wondering about for a while is, you see a lot of ambition in the indie scene these days, and it's comparable to the 90s PC gaming scene, definitely. However, few indie developers actually manage to pull off the same level of scope and production value that the best games of the 90s could muster.

I feel the exact opposite. 99% of the indie gaming scene is uninspired re-treads that think copying an existing successful game, coating it faux-retro pixel graphics, and having chiptunes music and a melodramatic plot somehow elevates them over mainstream games. I'd rather the indie game scene focused on actual innovation with a limited scope rather than Quirky Pixel Chiptunes Gimmick Platformer with A Story That Matters #33748 guilt-tripping a bunch of people into overpaying for it.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr_Ham97 posted:

If games actually spent money on a real score by John Williams or Howard Shore or someone, they'd be much better listening. As it is all we get is loving Jeremy Soule over and over, and I'm getting tired of it. He might not be a "bad" composer but when he's writing like 6 pieces per game per year they all start sounding samey and uninspired.

Welp.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Plus, Notch doesn't really have any business savvy at all. He managed to luck his way into making a game that made him a ton of money but he's consistently shown bad programming and business decisions and with Scrolls looking awful he probably doesn't have much of a long-term future in the gaming biz. I can understand why Schafer might not want to stake his company and his IP on someone who might not even be around in a year or two and thinks that Twitter is a valid way of arranging multi-million dollar business deals.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

It's a computer CCG in the year of Our Lord 2012 written by the windbag from Penny Arcade (I think the fat one?).

It is going to do terribly.

Also they expect you to pay real money to buy virtual cards in the game :yum:

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yeah but nobody else is Valve. Crysis 2 for instance got locked to Origin as a platform and they were EA partners. EA has a terrible, one of the worst, in fact, track records of respecting the gaming community or developers.

Ironic when you consider that EA handled the console release of The Orange Box.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LightWarden posted:

Man, it's been an interesting week for Tim Schafer. People offer to throw money at him to make Psychonauts 2, and then he raises $1.8 million in adventure gaming funbucks.

Tim Schafer posted:

This is how he'd pitch the sequel to big game publishers: He'd show a 2010 fan trailer called Inceptionauts that mashed up the movie Inception and the first Psychonauts. "It's better than any trailer we ever had for the game," Schafer said. He says it even helped him remember how much he'd liked Psychonauts, which he had taken a break from thinking about after it came out. "It reminded me how much I like it," he said, adding that "I'd like to thank that fan for making the video. I used it to try to fund Psychonauts 2."

:stare:

I can't imagine why he thought that showing a fan-made AMV to investors was a good idea.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BiggerJ posted:

A thought: what mental disorders and other psychological issues could feature in Psychonauts 2 that weren't the first game? These have been done:

War-related delusions
Bad childhood memories
Repressed guilt

Paranoid schizophrenia (WHO IS THE MILKMAN)
Dissociative Identity Disorder (and possibly genetic memory)
Bipolar disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (and not just the hygeine-related stereotype)
Parental issues

As awful as it would be, a part of me would love to have a level based around a coprophage's mind just so you could traipse around a wasteland of bodily fluids.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Quest For Glory II posted:

Games get funded on Kickstarter from unknowns every week, it's just that they need to really have their poo poo together and set realistic goals, as well as have good rewards. Realistic goals basically means NOT $400,000.

I think a separate site would need to be built to orchestrate big money campaigns from large development units. Kickstarter has primarily been about the little guy. Like, the Ben There Dan That guys could get a game funded on Kickstarter, but a studio with dozens of people.. probably not.

Plus Kickstarter takes a cut out of the donations. If you're trying to get funding and you're a big enough name to attract people on your own and get a lot of publicity, whipping up your own website and donation system seems much cheaper and easier than losing tens of thousands of dollars to Kickstarter.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fatkraken posted:

Alpha funding seems to be working pretty well for Overgrowth, they're in their 169th weekly alpha and development seems to be trotting along at quite the pace. It's a bespoke game engine with what looks to be a really powerful and user friendly editor built in, so there's plenty for early adopters to muck around with even without much real game content yet. It's definitely a niche product, especially in the alpha, but with only 5 employees it seems to be enough to keep them afloat.

http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth

To be fair they also siphon money out of the Humble Indie Bundle since they're the organizers and the Humble Tip goes to them. Even though it's a small percentage by default (and people can choose to not pay one at all) considering how many millions the bundles have brought in they probably make some decent scratch.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I kind of want Obsidian to do a kickstarter just so that for once they can't blame publishers when their game ends up buggy, unfinished, and massively reduced in scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I guess since all the info about the game's development is behind a paywall we can't actually discuss it over here anymore?

• Locked thread