Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Tossed in my 30 bucks. I suppose one of these days I should play Psychonauts (I suck at platforming) and finish Grim Fandango.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Subra posted:

This happened in Gears 3, they had that poll and there's still that scene that could go either way on Carmine dying and it ends up working pretty well.

However they do it I have full confidence in Tim Schafer and can't wait to see all the ins and outs of development (after it's released). 30$ for me, can't wait to see how much they rake in after a month if they're steadily approaching 1 million in a day haha.

I have to imagine it will drop off pretty sharply in 24-48 hours. Especially as the goal has been met.

I'm open to the internet proving me wrong, though!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

theblackw0lf posted:

Chris Avellone just said he'd be down for a Kickstarter campaign to do an old school isometric RPG

Whelp. Sign me up.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Megazver posted:

ChrisAvellone: If Obsidian used Kickstarter to fund a project, what would you want to see? You can answer here or http://t.co/r0h4Ydui

I'm pretty sure he just killed their own site by asking this.

Obsidian's webpage is still down. :3:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm gonna mail Obsidian a valentine that says:
YOU KICKSTART MY HEART!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If I'm going to play Maniac Mansion and DotT for the first time, should I go for the original MM or the remake 'Deluxe' version?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
WASTELAND 2 KICKSTARTER

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1218794p1.html

Apparently, potentially going live in a month or two.

Curious and hopeful to see someone else pull this off.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Smol posted:

Call them what you want, but they're in the know when it comes to RPGs. The main problem with the forum is that it's filled with rampant racism, homophobia etc. and their own lovely memes, but they do have some great posters there. It's just that they're hard to find from that sea of poo poo.

Regardless of what you think of the Codex, (I never venture into the forums, but I like the snarky frontpage news), Avellone obviously has some sort of soft spot for them. He sends them weird little doodles and I think has given them an interview or two.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Brian Fargo's Twitter posted:

It looks like a few of you have figured out one of the tier awards. The $50 tier gets full box, docs and maps the way games used to be.

Gonna get a Wasteland 2 box. :haw:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, I'm really curious and hopeful the Wasteland 2 kickstarter will take off.

I strongly suspect that the number of fanatic old-school RPG fans is at least as large as the number of old-school adventure games fans.

Fingers crossed, and all that.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Armor-Piercing posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would a new isometric RPG cost over $1M to make but Schafer budgeted his adventure game for $400k? Where would the extra money be needed?

A RPG is probably going to need a longer development cycle. That's probably most of the cost difference. Six months or whatever Doublefine was initially thinking for their adventure game isn't going to cut it for a real Wasteland 2.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, no refunds are issued and and the guys who began the project get to walk away with the money?

Yeah, that's how I see this bubble bursting.

Yeah, that's a concern.

Although, if it was a particularly nasty case I could see kickstarter suing in order to try to keep their good name.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

^^^^^ It's not so much "kickstarter negativity" as it is general pessimism. Also, a $10,000 goal is a whole world's difference from what was discussed before.

There would be a lawsuit somewhere if that happened. But also general user confidence would drop. Having that happen once or twice would make people a LOT more weary about who to donate to.

Personally, I doubt I'd donate to anyone I hadn't heard of/didn't have a reputable company.

I just thought of something...

A new Star Control game funded by kickstarter. :stare:

200,000,000 overnight.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, I presume if there is an unused cash reserve, it would probably be used for things like post release patch funding, seed money for a possible port to Live Arcade, things like that.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rinkles posted:

The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter will probably deserve it's own thread when it launches next week, but in the mean time, for those interested, their forum just went live today.

And with it a blog.

It struck me that one of the reasons Obsidian/Chris Avelone may have gone quiet on the Kickstarter front is:

A.) To see if Wasteland 2 can make it
B.) To help Wasteland 2 make it by not sucking up the oxygen with a second RPG Kickstarter in the news

I'm really holding my breath for the potential for some awesome old-school rpgs being funded through Kickstarter. I'm going to be broken hearted if Wasteland 2 doesn't make it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I really didn't think they'd hit 3 million, but it sure as hell look like they're gonna.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Republicans posted:

Notice how relatively few people are in the $60+ tier because they see the reward compared to the $30+ tier and think "Huh, it's just one file I can download from any number of file sharing sites for free the moment it's available." Probably should have put the poster there as well.

Yeah, pretty much. I only did 30$ instead of 15$ because I felt like 15$ was too cheap, and I wanted them to succeed.

Aw, gently caress it. Upgraded to 100$ I want the poster and the t-shirt and the box.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Given the rate on the TimJustRaised twitter, it looks pretty certain they'll break $3,250,000. Really doubt they'll hit 3.5, but if they got a big last minute surge...

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Shyfted One posted:

It says offline for me

Yeah, I think sockpuppetclock might have caught a brief testing period where they were live for a minute or two to make sure everything was working alright.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

On one hand, I wish they could just keep this going forever, on the other hand I'm sure they'll get a ton of additional money once they actually sell the game.

Yeah, they gotta end it sometime. They don't actually get their 3 million until it ends.

In 38 minutes.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tewratomeh posted:

So is that an official Ron Gilbert Smile? It looks more like an exasperated smirk, but it'll do.

They had to haul him out of his office, he stayed for two minutes, and then went back to his office to 'write jokes'.

Not a party guy. :3:

Sputty posted:

Does anyone know what happens if a credit card expired in between the time you backed a kickstarter and put the information into Amazon and the time the kickstarter ends?

Probably it gets rejected and you lose your pledge. You've got 17 minutes to move it to another card.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

NmareBfly posted:

It's still going up. Somehow. 3,335,160 now.

The cash probably doesn't show up until Amazon has approved and verified it, so it will probably still drift up a bit.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Five days ago, no less.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nothing is going to come of that. I think Notch had no idea how much making a proper sequel would actually cost.

Even if something does come of it, it will probably take many months of lawyers lawyering, and Double Fine finishing production on enough projects in order to put a full team on it. Probably nothing will come of it, but at this point in the process 'something happening' would probably look identical to 'nothing happening' to those of us on the outside.

We certainly won't hear anything more unless it becomes a 'thing', and that could take quite a while.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Lurdiak posted:

I'd love this too, but I've yet to see an HD remake of a beloved game that didn't completely blow chunks. Serious Sam HD maybe?

Sid Meier's Pirates! was pretty good.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I didn't anticipate how frustrating it would be to not be able to discuss the game development here on SA.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If we can't talk about the development, can we at least make fun of some of the people posting there? Watch while I create an entirely fictional, but otherwise accurate example of the sorts of things you poor non-backers are missing:

Some Dude posted:

While it's clear that the artist Tim has chosen has some talent, and we can't completely dismiss him out of hand, the art style we've been shown is entirely inappropriate for the adventure game we have all dreamed of. I hope that Double Fine is willing to take this honest criticism to heart, after all - is that not why these Backer forums were created?

I've always preferred an art style that was more surreal, yet full of character.

:casually posts his own artwork:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Dear Double Fine, do you feel you will be able to achieve animation as expressive as this fan made My Little Pony cartoon? I've also made a separate thread where we can discuss this in more detail...

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

You must have completely misunderstood. November is their date for first playable alpha.

Yeah, I thought they were aiming for late summer / early fall 2013? ~18 months.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Even if it looks as good as the lumberjack 'demo' (and it's likely to look quite a bit better) I'll be pretty happy. It's a nice, stylized look.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Seriously. I hope the game is as entertaining as the documentary! :shobon:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Honestly, I don't like ANY of the names. They're all pretty dull and vanilla.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Great Rumbler posted:

Well, in order to make a profit they need to sell exactly one copy of the game after development has wrapped.

That was true when they were just running on Kickstarter money, but they're dipping into their own money now, taking profit from other projects and plowing it into Broken Age, so in a sense they're in the red.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Ummm... I follow the link from my email to get my key, it sends me to the Humble Bundle site. I 'click the button to redeem on Steam' and it flashes 'retreiving key' and then shows a link that says 'To redeem, connect to Steam', which when I click, takes me to some sort of Steam log on page in Italian. :confused:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Are you Itatian?

Nope. USA. Never been there, never had any other languages installed on my computer. No clue why it's coming up like that. Looks like a legit Steam page, with the little green verified thing, but I'm still not putting my info in there.

Why the hell can't they just give us the key and let us enter it manually, like every other game ever?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Alright, I logged into the actual english Steam page, and then I was ALSO logged into bizaro Italian Steam when I went there from Humble Bundle, so I assumed the big button in Italian said 'okay I want the game' and not 'Sell my Account to the Mafia', and Broken Age showed up in my Steam client instantly.

But that was hosed up. :raise:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Heran Bago posted:

Just for the record Steam messes up and does this all the time. You should change it to English Steam so it stops doing it like this:

I'll keep that in mind if it happens again. At the time I was convinced it was some scammy/fishing thing. It was just strange, because if I googled 'steam' and accessed it that way it WAS in English, but if I followed the link from Humble Bundle - Italian.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I don't know exactly WHAT is wrong at Double Fine, but it seems pretty clear that SOMETHING is.

It's just crazy to me that, starting after Double Fine, and given roughly the same amount of money, inXile and Obsidian have been able to turn out massive deep RPGs that literally have orders of magnitude more content/writing/assets with complex branching quests etc, than Double Fine... who has barely managed to get out half of a short point-and-click adventure game.

It's kinda sad, and it frustrates me to think that the companies who ARE doing great things with Kickstarter and Early Access are going to get screwed over by those who fail. It's probably why Obsidian and Larian (Divinity:OS) have both made noises about not going back to Kickstarter/crowd funding, because they know the Happy Days are over. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rinkles posted:

That's sad, did they go into detali as to why?

Larian blog

quote:

As I mentioned in this interview, the current thinking is that we shouldn’t go back to Kickstarter. That’s not because we’re ungrateful of the support we received through our Kickstarter community or because all those rewards caused a bit of extra work, but because I think the crowdfunding pool is limited and it should be fished in by those who really need it. Since we now can, I think we should first invest ourselves and then see if we need extra funds to fuel our ambitions. Only then it makes sense to look at crowd funding. I know several of our backers will be displeased by this, so it could be that we still change our minds, but if that is the case, I do think the the format we’ll use or the way we’ll do it will be different than how we did it for Divinity: Original Sin.

I think Obsidian has said they're hope is that Pillars of Eternity does well enough that PoEII could be funded entirely out of the profits of the first game. They may be pessimistic that they can 'go back to the well' and do as well again.

On the other hand, there's inXile, who did their Kickstarter for Torment long before Wasteland 2 was finished and made MORE money then W2 did! I'll be curious to see if we see a Wasteland 3 Kickstarter sometime after the new year...

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm not ready to accept that DoubleFine has completely abandoned the project. I think we can all agree that Tim Schafer isn't the most competent project lead or manager, and there's definitely some reshuffling of the workforce to account for the situation. But if they abandoned the project entirely they'd lose a lot of good faith (because they did charge money for the early access) and I'd be the first to shout gently caress off to their next kickstarter.

I was always amazed in the backer videos where they talked (multiple times) about needing Tim to finish writing the next segment before they could do X. It's a loving point and click adventure game. How do you not have the whole thing scoped and written up before full speed production starts kicking in? :confused:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Toxxupation posted:

To me it's kind of incredible to think how long it's taken df to put out the amount of content they did at the budget they had

Like there's probably less than 20 screens total in broken age part 1, and act 1 takes at the very outset maybe 4 hours to beat

Like I said, I just can't get over the comparison with Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity. It really confuses me and blows my mind.

Also, makes me sad. :smith:

• Locked thread