Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Crappy Jack posted:

He's already said additional money will go toward the making of this game. Who knows, your $15 could pay for celebrity voice acting or a symphonic soundtrack by an acclaimed film composer.

The soundtrack had better be by Peter McConnell or it ain't a Tim Schafer game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Those aren't even donations anymore. The goal was met. Whoever's putting money in now is buying a pre-order and, maybe, getting a few LE extras along.

A new game is born.

I don't think you understand how kickstarter works. The goal is the minimum they need before they'll be allowed to take the money. The money doesn't stop being useful after they hit the goal.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

StoryTime posted:

Two men walk into a bar, and one of them says "adventure games are dead" :mmmhmm:.

Anyway, how much do you people think this is just about people being angry at them big money publishers with their focus testing an' deadlines an' sequels i have to buy every year, or is there a viable long-term business model buried somewhere in this perfect storm?

Discuss.

Of course selling directly to fans and bypassing major companies is a viable model, it's been a viable model in just about every creative industry for several years now. It's no longer an open question.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

evilmiera posted:

Oh man, that one I WOULD put 100 dollars down for.

Also, free idea for the documentary: Try and get a video of a couple of minutes to an hour of continued updates to the kickstarter page, zoomed in on the money slowly rising.

Thanks, I'll pass it on.

*writes "do the most obvious cliche possible" on a slip of paper and hands it to the film crew*

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

There's pretty much no way they won't hit a million by the end of the day, yeah.

For the record, it took Louis CK's Live at the Beacon Theater 4 days to reach $200,000. Double Fine is set to make five times that much in a quarter of the time.

His cost $5 and there was no option to pay more. I'm willing to bet that in terms of individual purchases, he beat Double Fine by a lot.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Definitely starting to slow down now, but might still get to 2 million.

Either way an incredible success.

Well, slowing down is a relative term. In the hour since they've hit a million, they've made 51k, so they're still averaging almost a thousand a minute.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Psychonauts was great

Brutal Legend was good.

Even if you didn't like them, people who get mad about games are weird and should rethink things.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

There were maybe five RTS battles in the entire game, and all of them were easy enough that you could basically win them in a few tries by constantly and randomly spawning units and doing solos as often as the game would let you.

It was probably his weakest game, but pretending it was awful or a Huge Letdown just makes you look entitled and majorly overreacting.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

coldplay chiptunes posted:

But I mean it's just a number they came up with. You can't really comment on the success as a relation to the initial goal. What if the goal was only 80k? Then they raised 20 times their goal in one day! That doesn't really make it that much more impressive. It just means that the goal was really low.

1.4 million in one day is in itself impressive, but just strip the goal comparisons out since it doesn't really have anything to do with it.

The goal wasn't arbitrary. It was an amount he thought they could realistically make the game with. They now have over a million dollars more than the minimum budget they thought they'd need for the game. That's noteworthy.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

Another cool possibility would be something like kickstarter except with tiny micro-royalties for donors. Make it into a real investment. The key will be whether such a system could endure the concentrated nerd rage for cases when investments don't pan out.

But what makes kickstarter good is that it doesn't work like traditional investment. It's for people putting money towards ideas they personally think are cool, not ones they think will bring the most financial returns. Your idea would completely undermine that.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'd like for him to remake it so I can actually loving play it. Short of watching a Let's Play there's no way for me to access the game in any form as it currently exists. Since it's considered to be one of the best games in one of my favorite genres with a premise that I really enjoy, actually having a version that can run on something made after 2001 is a fairly reasonable wish.

E: Psychonauts also has some weird bugs when played on modern PCs, while I'm at it.

That's funny, I got it running just fine on a brand new laptop last week using this link.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Tewratomeh posted:

Psychonauts is available on Steam and works perfectly fine on modern PC's, and you can get the Grim Fandango Launcher... RIGHT HERE!

Mileage may vary and all that, but there's no reason that Grim Fandango wouldn't work on your PC provided you have the original install CD's, follow the instructions on that page and launch the game with that launcher. It works just fine for me, with Windows 7 64-bit.

Yeah, Grim Fandango works just fine on modern computers, and why would you even need Tim Schafer involved to do an HD update anyway? Just outsource it to some competent programmers. There's no reason he should ever be wasting his time doing slightly updated versions of games he did over ten years ago.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

If I'm going to play Maniac Mansion and DotT for the first time, should I go for the original MM or the remake 'Deluxe' version?

Skip Maniac Mansion, it's not very good and you don't need to play it to get DotT.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Spiky Ooze posted:

Did like 90% of people completely forget the ending to Psychonauts 1 already? It sets up most of the Psychonauts 2 plot very explicitly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnJeqlxWRt8

skip to around 2:45

People keep pretending this was a cliffhanger or something instead of the "And so they continued to have adventures" ending it really is.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Spiky Ooze posted:

"The leader of our organization was kidnapped" is a cliffhanger.

edit: but maybe we just interpreted the ending differently that's fine. I just always saw it as a DeLorean swooping in kind of ending.

A cliffhanger is when elements of the plot are left hanging, like the end of Beyond Good & Evil.

In Psychonauts, every element of the plot is resolved, and then, afterwards, they all soar off into the sunset on a new adventure. It leaves room for a sequel, sure, but it's not a cliffhanger, and it wouldn't surprise me if, were a Psychonauts 2 to happen, its plot had nothing to do with the kidnapping.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Farbtoner posted:

:stare:

I can't imagine why he thought that showing a fan-made AMV to investors was a good idea.

It's an entertaining video and it reminds them that a movie with a similar premise recently made about a billion dollars.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I've had the second Tales of Monkey Island episode half-finished on my computer for like a year now. Just never had the impulse to keep going. Like everything Telltale, it is perfectly competent but kind of empty and never that funny or entertaining or memorable.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The only rule on kickstarter is that you have to reach your goal on the site, through the site, or no one gets charged and no one gets any money.

So, if you get a huge chunk of money for your project and it doesn't go through kickstarter (say if someone just hands you a check for a couple thousand dollars) it doesn't help your kickstarter any.

Well except there's nothing stopping you from depositing the check and then donating the money to your own kickstarter.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I tried to sign-up with the email I have with kickstarter and it wouldn't let me. So then I just gave up because I'd rather be surprised by the game, I guess.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

After weeks of back and forth, finally got access to the backers forum, and then immediately wished I hadn't.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

The video has since been opened to everyone so people can enjoy the first episode of the documentary, and probably pre-order the game while they are at it.

That's episode 2

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

My favorite is this one http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6941/ in which Some Dude On The Internet offers to help Tim Schafer write better.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Not the Double Fine Adventure Game but pretty cool sounding none-the-less http://kotaku.com/5912907/ron-gilberts-new-game-mixes-maniac-mansion-with-a-little-metroidvania

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Really surprised Bragging and Fighting doesn't have more votes. It seems like the kind of bizarre, original idea Double Fine is known for.

I mean, a space station sim could be fun, but it's not really that exciting.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

I'm sorry, I'm playing Gnomoria and Dwarf Fortress in Space sounds loving awesome to me.

Yeah, but read your own post. Don't you want more out of an experimental game week than "A game that already exists only with different artwork"?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

White Birch sounds really boring to me for the same reason. If you really want to play a moody, dark platformer with an ambiguous story, isn't there about a thousand other games you could be playing right now?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

From the point of view of a backer who hasn't been following the development very closely and is content to just play a cool game when it's ready, some of the reactions in here look ridiculously overblown. I don't even want to know what the backer forums look like.

OH NO, the game is going to be out like 6 months later than planned. I guess I'll have to find something to do with my life before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Well, Telltale's beaten him to the punch completely in both bringing back the classic style and changing what people think an Adventure game should be like(with the massively successful Walking Dead game), but from the very start of the project, he seemed determined to pretend that company doesn't exist.

To be fair, all of Telltale's games are just...bland and only kind of ok. I mean, I've never played Walking Dead, and I've heard that's better, but their Sam and Max and their Monkey Island games were not in the same ballpark as even Tim Schafer's worst game.

• Locked thread