Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Threw in my 15 bucks. Might throw in some more after taxes. Can you name one cause more important than a new Tim Schafer adventure?

I thought not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

YOURFRIEND posted:

Why does he need money to make a game to sell for money?

Because you need the money to make the game in the first place in order to get the money

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

al-azad posted:

Brutal Legend started as a multiplayer game, was forced into a single-player Guitar Hero tie-in by Activision, shelved for a year, then picked up by EA later. Trenched and the later titles probably cost considerably less without all the publisher fuckings that went on with those two games.

Id imagine all that licensed music is a big part of what drove up the budget, too.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

hellocruelworld posted:

God, this thing is at over $1,134,000 and still going? What do you all think this thing will top out at?

Seriously I think this is amazing and I am very excited about this project. I hope they spend more on the game than documentary though.

In the pitch video Tim said he needed 30k for the game, and 10k for the documentors. Not only was the game the main focus of the money to begin with, but I doubt that more money to work on the game equals more work for the documentary guys, so chances are theyll still be getting 10k no matter what.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

bango skank posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it 300k and 100k, respectively?

Ha oops! No idea how I did that.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Farbtoner posted:

Ironic when you consider that EA handled the console release of The Orange Box.

To be more specific, they ported the PS3 version. Ya know, the worst version.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

adamarama posted:

But I don't think he really understands what's involved in developing a $20 million AAA next gen title; which is what Psychonauts 2 has to be.

Why does it have to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

What are you suggesting it would be?

The first one was an AAA Xbox/PS2 game.

Are you suggesting a game designed to those specs would sell at similar numbers? I don't think it would sell to anyone that wasn't already a Psychonauts fan, and the Psychonauts fanbase is a subset of the people who bought the game the first time, which wasn't enough to be successful the first time around.

Youre right, which is why making a niche game for 20 million dollars is a bad idea?

• Locked thread