Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Congratulations on the new addition to your family! I hope the whole process is easy on both of you. And that's sooo sweet that you're making a special dinner for you and your wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Snap poll: We are going on a self-catering holiday for 10 days during which we will be cooking and preparing food. Am I mad to take along a couple of good knives? Holiday house knives always suck.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Not mad at all - take 'em!

Another thing to consider, that takes up little space (if you're having to travel light or what have you), is one of those cheap sets of plastic measuring spoons. Last time I was in a self-catering holiday cottage that caught me out - no measuring spoons/jug/anything. If you are a good eyeballer, obviously ignore this.

And if you plan to bake, take some teeny scales (or ask if they have them, of course).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

franco posted:

Not mad at all - take 'em!

Another thing to consider, that takes up little space (if you're having to travel light or what have you), is one of those cheap sets of plastic measuring spoons. Last time I was in a self-catering holiday cottage that caught me out - no measuring spoons/jug/anything. If you are a good eyeballer, obviously ignore this.

And if you plan to bake, take some teeny scales (or ask if they have them, of course).

Thanks. Good suggestions but I'm mostly an eyeballer cook and don't expect to do much baking. I'll take my santoku (lighter than my hefty German 10" chef and my wife prefers it) and a paring knife.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Fair enough. I should have known that a film producer/financier would be good at making up the numbers off the top of his head ;)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Why do I always get odd looks when I ask the waitress/server to put "no juice" on my plate when I order something with juice? Like, if I order corn, yams, peas or whatever... I DO NOT like for the juice of one food to touch another food! Why the heck would I want pea juice touching my chicken tenders? That is so gross! I'm not appalled by all food that touch, like if grits touch my bacon, that's okay...Why can't they just drain the juice and give me my dang food the way I like it?!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Tell your server that the cooks need to reduce au sec, none of that half rear end poo poo.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Casu Marzu posted:

Why do I always get odd looks when I ask the waitress/server to put "no juice" on my plate when I order something with juice? Like, if I order corn, yams, peas or whatever... I DO NOT like for the juice of one food to touch another food! Why the heck would I want pea juice touching my chicken tenders? That is so gross! I'm not appalled by all food that touch, like if grits touch my bacon, that's okay...Why can't they just drain the juice and give me my dang food the way I like it?!

source your quotes

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
The greater question here is: if the pea juice touches your chicken tenders, does that make it a sandwich?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

contrapants posted:

The greater question here is: if the pea juice touches your chicken tenders, does that make it a sandwich?

Nah, that's chili.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Yam juice?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

Snap poll: We are going on a self-catering holiday for 10 days during which we will be cooking and preparing food. Am I mad to take along a couple of good knives? Holiday house knives always suck.

no

but I've also flown a santoku for a 7 day trip from my university in germany to prague, just because I was checking luggage and figured why the hell not

it came in handy, me and this girl were doing an xmas trip break trip because neither of us could afford to fly home to our home countries to see our family, so we figured we'd go to the coldest most fun place we could think of and live it up. we had both been to prague before and had a great time, so figured whynot?

the trip was so loving horrible, she got her wallet stolen the second or third night we were there, and then she "bought" "some" "weed" off a random guy on the street with the rest of her cash that turned out to be oregano. being the slightly crazy and very much intoxicated girl she was, she wouldn't stop sobbing for like 2 hours, so we just went home. on the way back to our flat, I partially dislocated my kneecap on some broken rear end cobblestone street, and was pretty much unable to walk for the rest of the trip. it was -15 degrees out the whole time, so we pretty much just stayed in our rental flat most of the time, cooking meals on a lovely stove, drinking as much absinthe and lovely moravian wine as we could stomach, and ended up using my loving santoku way more than I thought we ever would have.

the last night we got completely shitfaced, roasted a rabbit which I remember being particularly tasty, and then threw its carcass out our 5th floor window onto the streets below at like 4am, screaming about how much we hated the city for what it had done to our christmas. I'm not sure if it was a triumphant or shameful walk past that frigid carcass the next morning as we headed out to our airport, but it was certainly one of the two.

ahh, memories. :unsmith: I would very much like to go back, prague is something special.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
brb gotta go `drain the juice'.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

no

but I've also flown a santoku for a 7 day trip from my university in germany to prague, just because I was checking luggage and figured why the hell not

it came in handy, me and this girl were doing an xmas trip break trip because neither of us could afford to fly home to our home countries to see our family, so we figured we'd go to the coldest most fun place we could think of and live it up. we had both been to prague before and had a great time, so figured whynot?

the trip was so loving horrible, she got her wallet stolen the second or third night we were there, and then she "bought" "some" "weed" off a random guy on the street with the rest of her cash that turned out to be oregano. being the slightly crazy and very much intoxicated girl she was, she wouldn't stop sobbing for like 2 hours, so we just went home. on the way back to our flat, I partially dislocated my kneecap on some broken rear end cobblestone street, and was pretty much unable to walk for the rest of the trip. it was -15 degrees out the whole time, so we pretty much just stayed in our rental flat most of the time, cooking meals on a lovely stove, drinking as much absinthe and lovely moravian wine as we could stomach, and ended up using my loving santoku way more than I thought we ever would have.

the last night we got completely shitfaced, roasted a rabbit which I remember being particularly tasty, and then threw its carcass out our 5th floor window onto the streets below at like 4am, screaming about how much we hated the city for what it had done to our christmas. I'm not sure if it was a triumphant or shameful walk past that frigid carcass the next morning as we headed out to our airport, but it was certainly one of the two.

ahh, memories. :unsmith: I would very much like to go back, prague is something special.

We are going to Portugal. I'm not expecting any of the disasters that befell you. Bloody hell!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Casu Marzu posted:

If this is actually you and not some fake post, why not just ask the server to bring your corn or whatever in a separate dish? It's easier to comprehend than saying "Don't let the corn juice touch anything else on my plate."

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Is anyone else a bit terrified to travel to foreign countries because you feel there's not much there you would eat? I love Japanese culture and am very interested in the country but I don't think I could ever visit there for any serious length of time due to the fact that I've never seen "Japanese Cuisine" I've been brave enough to put in my mouth...

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

CzarChasm posted:

If this is actually you and not some fake post, why not just ask the server to bring your corn or whatever in a separate dish? It's easier to comprehend than saying "Don't let the corn juice touch anything else on my plate."

Casu likes to post copy-pastes from a Facebook picky eater's group without any context :v:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Croatoan posted:

Is anyone else a bit terrified to travel to foreign countries because you feel there's not much there you would eat? I love Japanese culture and am very interested in the country but I don't think I could ever visit there for any serious length of time due to the fact that I've never seen "Japanese Cuisine" I've been brave enough to put in my mouth...

I have the opposite problem. When I travel, eating and trying new foods or restaurants is the single activity that interests me the most, but I only have so much money and can only eat so much.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seriously are you guys gonna start flooding this thread with that stupid picky eaters group poo poo?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Goddamnit I got baited, didn't I? My shoe now has poop on it.

:suicide:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Croatoan posted:

That's pretty much the whole point of traveling for me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I went on a date with a girl who wouldn't eat "white" things. This of course excluded only pizza.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

taqueso posted:

Nah, that's chili.

There's only one legume that belongs in chili.

mindphlux posted:

lovely moravian wine

Young man I may allow you to post about willy-nilly without the niceties of capitalization and punctuation, but if you besmirch the reputation of the wines of Moravia again in my presence there will be blood.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Casu likes to post copy-pastes from a Facebook picky eater's group without any context :v:

Ah. I was the more deceived.

I thought that sounded particularly stupid coming from him.

Croatoan posted:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Goddamnit I got baited, didn't I? My shoe now has poop on it.

:suicide:

Meh, that's what newbies are for.

Mr. Wookums posted:

I went on a date with a girl who wouldn't eat "white" things. This of course excluded only pizza.

I once dated a girl who barely ate vegetables. We had that mediocre beef teriyaki at the mall once, and I sat there in horror as she picked every last bit of veggie out. Which originally constituted like 5% of the volume of the dish.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

For those of you who don't do onions- I thought the Birds Eye Steamfresh meal of pasta, broccoli and bacon in a cheese sauce looked really good, so I bought it. Partway thru eating it, I thought I was eating some really crispy pieces of broccoli or something. I eventually just stopped eating those pieces, and just ate some of the pasta. Ended up not being able to finish the whole thing- turns out there were very evil, sneaky pieces of onion in it. I went online and other people complained about it...looked at the ingredients and sure enough, it was the LAST ONE. WTH?!?! Why must perfectly good meals be ruined by onions??? Last time I buy any Steamfresh meals

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GrAviTy84 posted:

For those of you who don't do onions- I thought the Birds Eye Steamfresh meal of pasta, broccoli and bacon in a cheese sauce looked really good, so I bought it. Partway thru eating it, I thought I was eating some really crispy pieces of broccoli or something. I eventually just stopped eating those pieces, and just ate some of the pasta. Ended up not being able to finish the whole thing- turns out there were very evil, sneaky pieces of onion in it. I went online and other people complained about it...looked at the ingredients and sure enough, it was the LAST ONE. WTH?!?! Why must perfectly good meals be ruined by onions??? Last time I buy any Steamfresh meals

Brains like this fascinate me. Is the aversion to onions just a life choice for them? Do they dislike onions or is that they "don't do" them some kind of life choice?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Brains like this fascinate me. Is the aversion to onions just a life choice for them? Do they dislike onions or is that they "don't do" them some kind of life choice?

I think a lot of it is parental. I can see my sister's food dislikes showing up in both my niece and nephew and they use the exact same terminology when talking about it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CommonShore posted:

My brother doesn't like onions. He finds the onion flavor overwhelms all the other flavors on the plate.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
My dad doesn't like onions or garlic, and will refuse to eat things with them.

Except he actually does like them, because he loving loves the food at a hakka place we go to, and you can literally see the garlic pieces clinging to basically everything they serve. I also made a stew that was pretty much entirely flavoured by onions and garlic (some beans and veg and poo poo too, but tons of onion/garlic the way satan created us to cook) and he was mopping up the remnants out of his bowl with bread.

What I'm saying here is that bias and expecting not to like something are extremely powerful factors in the way people eat. Like shockingly so.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I think I add an onion to everything I cook

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think a lot of it is parental. I can see my sister's food dislikes showing up in both my niece and nephew and they use the exact same terminology when talking about it.

Truth. My daughter is a picky eater and it frustrates me soooo much. The main wife and I struggled with her for years trying to get her to eat other foods outside of chicken fingers, spaghetti and popcorn but she grew up living with her mom (I used to only get her on the weekends) who didn't want to put any effort into cooking so she'd just buy her a happy meal or whatever for pretty much every. single. day.

I still get her to try new things but at this point it's almost a lost cause. It's so frustrating considering now she lives with me and every meal is a struggle to get her to eat what we're eating. Our compromise? She can make her own food if she's not going to eat what I make.

It sucks but she's now a teenager and I don't want to sour my relationship with my daughter over food.

There's also some picky eaters who I do actually understand. Some folks have a heightened sensitivity (or at least seem to?) to certain textures like onions in particular. I'm not one of them but I can at least understand their reasoning. For example it's one of main wife's only quirks is that she hates the texture of onions. I found out over years of experimenting that you can grate an onion on a cheese grater and you get the taste without the texture. It's not great but hey, everyone is a little nuts in their own way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Safety Dance posted:

My brother doesn't like onions. He finds the onion flavor overwhelms all the other flavors on the plate.

Except here it seems like this person was saying "mmm this is good... hmm I don't know what this is .... oh wait it's that thing I don't do, so I must not have liked it in the first place."

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have a hostile, somewhat irrational hate of picky eaters. They're big loving babies, just get the gently caress over it. MAKE yourself like it. I grew up loathing broccoli and now I love it so much that if I'm too full to eat more broccoli I'll put some broccoli up my butt to digest it that way.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If you don't like onions, you're a oval office.

Sorry if that makes your relatives, friends or you a oval office, but it's inescapable.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I have a hostile, somewhat irrational hate of picky eaters. They're big loving babies, just get the gently caress over it. MAKE yourself like it. I grew up loathing broccoli and now I love it so much that if I'm too full to eat more broccoli I'll put some broccoli up my butt to digest it that way.

Hate is p strong. I feel like, super sad about people like that. I was super picky growing up, too. Part of living is exploring and discovering new things. There are so many things I wouldn't have, do, eat, or whatever that bring me joy if I stayed with what I was comfortable with.

imma go make a smashburg with a shitton of grilled onions now like a boss.

edit: gently caress yeah onions

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 22, 2014

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I have two neighbors who were impressed with my food at a neighborhood cookout and just emailed me asking if I'd consider making some meals for them on a regular basis, as I guess they hate to cooks. I'm not sure if it would be for lunches just for them, or dinners for them and their families, but they both live with just one other person, so it would be cooking for 4 max.

Cooking is my favorite hobby and I don't think that tripling a dinner recipe a couple times a week would be that much extra work (I'd buy more at the grocery store, but it wouldn't involve extra trips, and cutting extra veggies and such would probably be an extra hour or so per meal). It sounds like something I'd be open to, and might actually be pretty fun, but I don't really know if there's a bunch of stuff I'm not thinking of, and have no idea how to price it (or at what price it would be worth it to me to do).

What do you guys think? Would you do it? What kinds of meals would you propose and at what prices? I'm 95% vegan (use backyard free range eggs sometimes, but no meat or dairy whatsoever) and they want healthy, so grocery prices would be for veggies, whole grains, etc. but nothing too crazy and no meat.

(This is in Chester county, PA if you need any idea of the area, and these are very rich horse ladies)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone done pressure caramelized onions? I bought some mason jars just for that but haven't gotten around to it yet.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Anyone done pressure caramelized onions? I bought some mason jars just for that but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I have, for the modernist french onion soup. It was hella sweet, like almost unbearably sweet. Would add to beef stock to make it more normal tasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Reading poo poo like that makes me happy that I grew up in a restaurant, so I was always open to different food.

And now my favorite thing to eat is lengua tacos, and I won't bat an eye at intestines or tripe or anything "weird", even if it ends up grossing out my companions.

If it tastes good, eat it.