Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

gently caress

I uh hope everything is ok. Even your stress posting is usually pretty mellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I shared two bottles of champagne with my wife last night, and now I feel rotten.

What happened to my youthful hangover-free vigour that I now want to throw up after such a small amount of booze? Surely I should be consistently getting better at drinking, not worse?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I shared two bottles of champagne with my wife last night, and now I feel rotten.

What happened to my youthful hangover-free vigour that I now want to throw up after such a small amount of booze? Surely I should be consistently getting better at drinking, not worse?

Age. Are your back, shoulders, nose and ears getting hairier? That's what happened to, uh, a friend of mine.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

In GOOD holiday news, my brother in law figured out a decent replacement for that horrible green bean casserole.

I have a special hatred for the green bean casserole, because I like green beans so much, but hate Campbells soup casseroles just as much (the fried onions are fine).

So anyways, blanch your green beans briefly and set aside. Melt some butter, add a bit of sesame oil, cook some garlic and and onions in it, add a few cups of coarsely chopped mushrooms. So, basically a duxelle with bigger pieces, and a little sesame oil for flavor. Add in the beans so they absorb a little flavor, dump into a round casserole dish and serve. Everybody ate it, everybody liked it! Score one for crown pleasers that don't completely suck!

Scientastic posted:

I was never much of a drinker, but I've only gotten worse in my old age; I can barely drink at all now. Thursday night I had some scotch on the rocks with the brother in law, and all it did was give me a headache, make my stomach queasy, and led to me to pass out early.

Really, the only alcohol I enjoy anymore is some wine with a meal. And by that, I mean 1 large glass or two small ones, that's it.
I'm so lame. There are so many social rituals around drinking, and I wish I could properly participate in them. :smith:

therattle posted:

Age. Are your back, shoulders, nose and ears getting hairier? That's what happened to, uh, a friend of mine.

No so much the back and shoulders, but the ears have gotten so bad that Mrs. Squashy plucks them every two weeks.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

gently caress

Oh no. Don't tell me Mrs Wiggles is going to run off to be Ke$ha.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My ears seem to produce hair faster than any other part of my body... It's terrible.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Scientastic posted:

My ears seem to produce hair faster than any other part of my body... It's terrible.

Same.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I go to a traditional Turkish barber (amazing): they singe the ear hairs. Frightening but effective

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Scientastic posted:

I was amazed at how early I aged out of being able to drink a lot. I'd thought it would hit around 30, but it was like, 23 or 24. Sucks.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Almost 35 and still going strong. Believe in yourself!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
27 and 25, we're on our 4th bottle of wine tonight between the two of us.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Practice practice practice, and when your done with that, practice more.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm 28, don't drink much at all. And I can still do pretty good after like, 4 drinks :v:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I mean, I can have a big night, but it just really hurts the next day in a way it didn't used to.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yeah, it's not the drunkenness of the evening that's the problem, it's the next day.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'd take that! I don't even really get drunk anymore, I just go straight to sick.

therattle posted:

I go to a traditional Turkish barber (amazing): they singe the ear hairs. Frightening but effective

This sounds awesome and I want to experience it. It can't smell worse then my Lasik did!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'd take that! I don't even really get drunk anymore, I just go straight to sick.

This sounds awesome and I want to experience it. It can't smell worse then my Lasik did!

It's great. One does get the burned hair smell, but they also do the hot towels on the face, trimming eyebrows, scalp massage etc. Turkish men take grooming very seriously.

I am not too bad with drunkenness and hangovers even at 40, although I think knowing that a small child will wake me at any time from 5:15 places a natural curb on how drunk I get.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

In wacky days of the late 90s, I got branded on my back. Imagine burnt hair, but it hung stronger, and accompanied by a horrible sizzling noise.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

In wacky days of the late 90s, I got branded on my back. Imagine burnt hair, but it hung stronger, and accompanied by a horrible sizzling noise.

Jesus. I have a bleeding disorder which led to nose bleeds when I was younger. I've had my nose cauterised about 7 times. Some were chemical, some were electrical/heat. You hear the sizzle of burning flesh and then the smell, obviously, is right in your nostrils. (They were all done with local anaesthetic, thanks god). So glad that they have worked and I haven't needed one for about 15 years.

PS my roasting flesh smelled delicious!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Burning flesh has a distinct odor like none other.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Secret Spoon posted:

Practice practice practice, and when your done with that, practice more.

What you do is make sure you drink a quart of water per 5 drinks. On one particular vacation, wife and I had 3 handles of vodka in the room, plus drinks at the bars in 5 days. Just keep up with your water intake and you can be tipsy all day long!

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

What you do is make sure you drink a quart of water per 5 drinks. On one particular vacation, wife and I had 3 handles of vodka in the room, plus drinks at the bars in 5 days. Just keep up with your water intake and you can be tipsy all day long!

Well, I guess I drink anywhere from 1 to 2 gallons a day. People who don't drink water weird me out.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Secret Spoon posted:

Well, I guess I drink anywhere from 1 to 2 gallons a day. People who don't drink water weird me out.

I drink 1-2 gallons a day at work, but when I'm drunking like a champ, I make sure to get at least 2gal a day. Also, I am for sure in Houston Jan 10th to the 16th, with evenings free, so we'll hang out then dudebro.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I received two 1lb-ish packages of frozen ground venison or at least I assume its ground, I haven't opened the tube. I've never made anything with venison before so I'm open to somewhat easy suggestions.

EDIT: I somehow forgot there was a general questions thread :downs:

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 29, 2015

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

hurray finally figured out a time my gal and I can take a vacation. booked a flight to budapest dec 16th, flying back dec 27 outa munich.

think vienna and the salzkammergut are on the agenda inbetween. rest of the details we'll just wing.

suggestions (food or otherwise) welcome!

If you're going from Vienna to Munich by rail you'll be passing through Prague. Stay a day and wander. Go up onto Petřín Hill (ride the funicular!) and see the old observatory, which is still used for solar observation and has a very nicely done visitor's center. Go up to Prague Castle and see St. Vitus' Cathedral, which took almost 600 years to build. Cross the Vltava and climb onto the wall of Vyšehrad and look down on the rest of the city, the oldest city in Europe that wasn't bombed in WW2. Then get lost in small side streets and eat at a random restaurant without English menus.

What I'm saying is Prague is a wonderful city and worth spending some time in, even if you're just passing through.

As for the rest of y'all I hope your Thanksgivings were as nice as mine. Mom and I drunk-cooked Thanksgiving dinner and both managed to avoid hangovers. Everything turned out great. Even the family members I don't like weren't too obnoxious.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I received two 1lb-ish packages of frozen ground venison or at least I assume its ground, I haven't opened the tube. I've never made anything with venison before so I'm open to somewhat easy suggestions.

Make a burger. Or chili. Or shepherd's pie. Or anything that calls for ground meat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Make a burger. Or chili. Or shepherd's pie. Or anything that calls for ground meat.

I've never cooked venison and have not cooked meat for over 7 years, but if making a burger wouldn't you need to add something like bacon or pancetta to up the fat content? That is, I understand that venison is lean and not all ground meat is the same and can be used interchangeably.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Third shift is not fun. Thank goodness I only have to do it one more night. At least tomorrow night will be at my new pay rate. I got promoted at work already, after only like 3-4 months to "Senior Cook." I've made myself useful, and now I get to do the prep for patients/room service. This hospital job is so much easier and less stressful than any actual restaurant.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Scientastic posted:

Your liver is growing older with you.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

gently caress

Whoa. Stay frosty dude.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How cool is this thing?

My brother in law got it from an Aunt who never used it. Thing is in brand new condition, all the enamel is perfect. It must weigh drat near 20 pounds!
I can't imagine owning something like this and never using it; we used it to keep the sausage stuffing warm.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Venison kicks rear end except for ground venison. I usually forget it exists in the freezer for a year or just go ahead and toss it. I put it up there with venison sausage which also really sucks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squashy Nipples posted:

How cool is this thing?

My brother in law got it from an Aunt who never used it. Thing is in brand new condition, all the enamel is perfect. It must weigh drat near 20 pounds!
I can't imagine owning something like this and never using it; we used it to keep the sausage stuffing warm.

Looks pretty rad.

By the way I was inspired by your mention of remaking green bean casserole via duxelles. In the process of making that right now as a veggie dish for the week, will probably cut out a lot of the cream and try to keep it as a bit lighter veggie side and top with just a thin layer of a bit of leftover cornbread stuffing instead of fried onions. Hoping it works out.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Scientastic posted:

It seems to me that when I woke up after celebrating my 40th birthday, my body decided to give me a big "gently caress YOU, THIS IS HOW WE ROLL FROM NOW ON!". Every hangover since then has been of the 2 1/2-day variety.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
btw, I need something more to distract me from the stupid amounts of work I have hanging over my head, is #foodchat still where the cool kids hang out?

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Squashy Nipples posted:

It just doesn't feel like Thanksgiving without drunken rants about relatives' lovely cooking... :smith:

don't worry.

I have a giant megathread of awesome lovely cooking in the making...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

yeah, this. I'm 32, drink a ton regularly. just hydrate, and don't go from drinking a ton to drinking none - or drinking none to drinking a ton. build yourself up - and again, hydrate intensely if you decide to drink well outside your normal bounds. also don't mix liquors/wines/beers. I get a hangover maybe once every 3 months.

bartolimu posted:

If you're going from Vienna to Munich by rail you'll be passing through Prague. Stay a day and wander. Go up onto Petřín Hill (ride the funicular!) and see the old observatory, which is still used for solar observation and has a very nicely done visitor's center. Go up to Prague Castle and see St. Vitus' Cathedral, which took almost 600 years to build. Cross the Vltava and climb onto the wall of Vyšehrad and look down on the rest of the city, the oldest city in Europe that wasn't bombed in WW2. Then get lost in small side streets and eat at a random restaurant without English menus.

What I'm saying is Prague is a wonderful city and worth spending some time in, even if you're just passing through.

that's all really good advice - I completely agree and I actually have spent a xmas in Prague. It was very memorable and completely beautiful - but I think our path won't take us through praha this time. we're planning on doing like 4 nights in budapest, 2 in vienna, then going to this cool austrian "salzkammergut" salt mine valley area for xmas proper, then going to munich to catch a direct flight back to Atlanta to save a bit of cash.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

mindphlux posted:

yeah, this. I'm 32, drink a ton regularly. just hydrate, and don't go from drinking a ton to drinking none - or drinking none to drinking a ton. build yourself up - and again, hydrate intensely if you decide to drink well outside your normal bounds. also don't mix liquors/wines/beers. I get a hangover maybe once every 3 months.

This is such a crock of bullshit I feel compelled to call it out any time anyone says it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Please expand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

This is such a crock of bullshit I feel compelled to call it out any time anyone says it.

sorry mate, but I feel my anecdotal billions of liters of alcohol consumption and personal experimental results trump your anecdotal 'this is a crock of bullshit'.

but it's an internet comedy forum about cooking so whatever really

Steve Yun posted:

Please expand

this also