Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
A good baguette always goes well with cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh good christ, please tell me I don't have to eat this all at once. I am 3/4ths through this block of asiago and I think I may die. Is Parmesano Reggiano supposed to be eaten without being further altered? It's horrible in anything above minute quantities, crunchy, impossibly thick, nigh-tasteless...Kraft did it better. This is, like, something Umbridge would feed to Harry during detention. The Asiago would be bearable if there weren't .75 lbs of the stuff.

Use asiago and other hard cheeses like salt on vegetables.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

That Works posted:

Use asiago and other hard cheeses like salt on vegetables.

Well, I finished the asiago and the parmesan- any survival tips for the other cheeses?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Well, I finished the asiago and the parmesan- any survival tips for the other cheeses?

Use them both to make the most delicious and potent blue cheese dressing of all time. Eat a bunch of wings with it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't even understand. 1lb parmesan and asiago lasts me maybe 3 months. are you saying you just sat down and ate giant chunks of mid grade store bought asiago? on its own?

the blues I dunno, I haven't had that rocquefort, but I have had the gorgonzola and it was pretty boring and salty. I had dinner at a place tonight at a restaurant which doubles as a charcuterie place, and they advertised a 'blue cheese aged' ribeye - which I imagine means they dry-aged a ribeye by smearing it down with blue cheese - I'd give that a try if I had a bunch of unwelcome blue sitting around.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Discendo Vox posted:

Gorgonzola or roquefort are good on salads.

You could do a soft cooked beet, arugula, watermelon and mint salad with either of those and it would be good.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

bongwizzard posted:

That is some weird looking jerky and I am mistrustful as that stuff looks dry as hell.

You complained about bullshit and dry and dull jerky so I gave you a link to jerky that is not that. I am not wrong about things. Unless you get one of the crispy versions, Vietnamese jerky is not dry. I grew up eating it so I almost never like white people jerky because comparably it's always too dry.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: woof, one down. I feel unwell.

Death Vox: Cheese Shop. Do it for Jacket.

e - It needs monosodium glutamate - for sure.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 28, 2016

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I bought an Anova this Friday and have so far made 63,5 degree eggs and some ribs, both quite successful. I', very much looking forward to more lukewarm puddle cooking.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DekeThornton posted:

I bought an Anova this Friday and have so far made 63,5 degree eggs and some ribs, both quite successful. I', very much looking forward to more lukewarm puddle cooking.

63.5 degree eggs are the loving poo poo. I'll make a dozen at a time at the start of a week, and have instant-amazing on hand ready to poach and throw on a salad, on top of grits, add to a sandwich, throw in pasta, whatever.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DekeThornton posted:

I was partial to this one when I started using a sous vide.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/sous-vide-chicken-breast-recipe.html

Nothing fancy but does the best with what can sometimes be a boring cut of meat.

Same for beef top round 1" cuts (my grocery sells them as 'london broil' cuts). 3-4h at 133F and a quick sear and they are very good for much less price than a nicer cut of steak.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

mindphlux posted:

63.5 degree eggs are the loving poo poo. I'll make a dozen at a time at the start of a week, and have instant-amazing on hand ready to poach and throw on a salad, on top of grits, add to a sandwich, throw in pasta, whatever.

I was really satisfied with the eggs. They turned out just as I expected them to do. I sort of expected to mess up a bit on my first attempt, but it turned out perfectly right away. I also put one egg in fifteen minutes earlier than the other, to test out if Kenji Lopez alt was correct about the effect of cooking time at the same temperature, and it was spot on. 63.5 for one hour was my favorite so far. Now I'm gonna try a bunch of different temperatures and times for different applications. I ate mine with rice, spiced up ragu I had in the freezer and a bunch of kimchi, as some bastardized donburi/bibimbap. Was great, will do again.

That Works, looks great. I'll try that next. Better chicken is one main reason why I bought this new toy.:)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bongwizzard posted:

That is some weird looking jerky and I am mistrustful as that stuff looks dry as hell.

mich posted:

You complained about bullshit and dry and dull jerky so I gave you a link to jerky that is not that. I am not wrong about things. Unless you get one of the crispy versions, Vietnamese jerky is not dry. I grew up eating it so I almost never like white people jerky because comparably it's always too dry.

Having visited the store in person I'm gonna have to back up mich on this. The one on the right of my photo might look dry on the outside but that's because it's covered in curry. It was a very moist and chewy texture on the inside. There are plenty of different jerky varieties including the one on the left of my picture which are not "dry" and have great chew and texture.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Ok I will try your weird jerky that is hopefully not like "pork floss" which was pretty awful the times I tried it.

Recommend me a specific one though, the site doesn't list ingredients and idk what there version of "original" is.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Pork floss is not jerky, it's to eat over rice or congee. This store does carry various flosses, but there are jerkies too.

http://vuakhobo.us/category.php?cPath=21

Try these (caveat, I go through and sample a bunch whenever I visit Southern California and buy them, so I can never remember exactly which ones are my favorites but I think these are some of the ones I like best):

1004.辣果汁牛肉乾Spicy Fruit Flavored Beef Jerky Kh?B?Ướp Nước Tr‰Ü Cl Cay
This one is a bit spicy and a little fruity/sweet. Pretty sticky on the surface. But it's one of the softer/chewier ones which I like.

1001.辣牛肉乾Hot Beef Jerky Kh?B?Cay
Less sweet than above, a bit less soft though. The 1002 right after it is the non spicy variation.

1034.檸檬草牛肉乾 Lemon Grass Beef Jerky kHô Bò Ướp Sả
This one has lemongrass. Good for Vietnamese papaya salad.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
All you jerky eaters are missing out on the best dried meat delicacy: medium-wet biltong with a bit of fat on the side.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mich posted:

Pork floss is not jerky, it's to eat over rice or congee. This store does carry various flosses, but there are jerkies too.

http://vuakhobo.us/category.php?cPath=21

Try these (caveat, I go through and sample a bunch whenever I visit Southern California and buy them, so I can never remember exactly which ones are my favorites but I think these are some of the ones I like best):

1004.辣果汁牛肉乾Spicy Fruit Flavored Beef Jerky Kh?B?Ướp Nước Tr‰Ü Cl Cay
This one is a bit spicy and a little fruity/sweet. Pretty sticky on the surface. But it's one of the softer/chewier ones which I like.

1001.辣牛肉乾Hot Beef Jerky Kh?B?Cay
Less sweet than above, a bit less soft though. The 1002 right after it is the non spicy variation.

1034.檸檬草牛肉乾 Lemon Grass Beef Jerky kHô Bò Ướp Sả
This one has lemongrass. Good for Vietnamese papaya salad.

Thanks!

But, it looks like the site doesn't seem to be secure, so I don't want to give them my CC info, is their stuff sold through other vendors?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Why don't you hit that there "contact us" link and ask them?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
HELLO I AM AN AMERICAN GOON ON THE INTERNET SHOPPING FOR VIETNAMESE BAK KWA FROM SINGAPORT BUT I AM AFRAID OF CHINESE HACKERS AND YOUR SITE DOES NOT HAVE THE 'VERIFIED BY VISA' LOGO ON IT SO I CANNOT BE SURE IT IS SECURE AND AM UNABLE TO TRUST YOU WITH THE DETAILS NEEDED FOR MY $25 PORK FLAWS TRANSACTION WOULD YOU PLEASE INFORM ME : DOES ANYONE OTHER THAN YOU SELL YOUR PRODUCT SINCE YOU CAN NOT BE TRUSTED?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Please send us your credit card information so we can verify your identity.

Also, please give us the keys to your house so we can make sure nobody can rob you.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
booked a late le bernardin rsvp for my bday stop this year

please someone who has spent the million billion dollars reassure me it's worthwhile

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

HELLO I AM AN AMERICAN GOON ON THE INTERNET SHOPPING FOR VIETNAMESE BAK KWA FROM SINGAPORT BUT I AM AFRAID OF CHINESE HACKERS AND YOUR SITE DOES NOT HAVE THE 'VERIFIED BY VISA' LOGO ON IT SO I CANNOT BE SURE IT IS SECURE AND AM UNABLE TO TRUST YOU WITH THE DETAILS NEEDED FOR MY $25 PORK FLAWS TRANSACTION WOULD YOU PLEASE INFORM ME : DOES ANYONE OTHER THAN YOU SELL YOUR PRODUCT SINCE YOU CAN NOT BE TRUSTED?

More or less my line of thinking. I travel for work and get cc fraud done to me often enough as it is, no jerky is worth resetting all my auto-bill pay stuff.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bongwizzard posted:

More or less my line of thinking. I travel for work and get cc fraud done to me often enough as it is, no jerky is worth resetting all my auto-bill pay stuff.

Does your credit card offer 1 time use CC numbers? Sometimes called virtual account numbers.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
No idea, didn't even know that was a thing. I will look into it, thanks!

I really should just make some jerky, but I suspect our hound will loose his mind if the house smells like meat for days.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bongwizzard posted:

No idea, didn't even know that was a thing. I will look into it, thanks!

I really should just make some jerky, but I suspect our hound will loose his mind if the house smells like meat for days.

When I was growing up whenever we had biltong (sadly not that often) our dogs would be absolutely transfixed.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Our guy is a purebred bloodhound, I have seen him wake up from a full "snoring snorting leg kicking" sleep in response to me opening a bag of prosciutto in the same room.

Oddly enough he sleeps through normal deli meats.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Mods please do the needful

Also, pork floss owns.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

mindphlux posted:

booked a late le bernardin rsvp for my bday stop this year

please someone who has spent the million billion dollars reassure me it's worthwhile

It's worthwhile. At that price range, I enjoyed Per Se about as much and Atera more, but (a) Per Se has supposedly gone WAY down hill and (b) Atera is under a new chef, so I think you're choosing well.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

Thanks!

But, it looks like the site doesn't seem to be secure, so I don't want to give them my CC info, is their stuff sold through other vendors?

mich posted:

I'm not sure how well their online ordering process works, I asked about it when I was shopping there in person and they said I should call instead. So it's not super convenient to order but it is really good.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

mindphlux posted:

PORK FLAWS

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Mods please do the needful

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Discendo Vox posted:

The short version is that this lets the resistance transfer to other unrelated bacteria. That is bad. It means that if it infects an individual sick with another disease, there is a risk that that disease will also become antibiotic-resistant (the nightmare scenario is TB).

The smartest person in the world I know is my pop. He likes good food and will eat roadside tacos in the third world. He pretty much called me an idiot for thinking unpasturized milk products should be allowed in general for that exact reason. I'm leaning toward his view now. TB is a very scary fucker and it is super complicated to explain. Let it suffice to say, if you own a cow you can make all the unpasturized cheese you want and eat it. Just don't sell it unless it's aged. It's not a hideous imposition really. I've had some super delicious cheeses. I don't think I'm missing that much. I'm definitely not missing dying from a nightmare TB scenario.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

pr0k posted:

dying from a nightmare TB scenario.

This seems to be the most likely human race endgame at this point, there isn't really any good way to stop worldwide antibiotic misuse, might as well enjoy poo poo while we can.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Truth. I don't think it'll be the endgame but I bet it culls the poo poo out of the herd.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I've eaten street tacos in Arandas, Mexico, which didn't really seem "third world" to me but maybe it does to some of you. All I know is those were the best loving tripe tacos I've ever had by a long shot, and I've eaten a lot of tripe tacos. I'd eat them again in a heartbeat. I'd also eat unpasteurized cheese, up to and including casu marzu if I ever got the chance. So maybe I'm not the best barometer for public food safety regulations. But gently caress it; I'm old and fat and I live alone. I'm about as non-vector-y as a human can be.

Discendo Vox, your commitment to an already-passed mod challenge is impressive and I'm sorry I was out of town for it. I do think you hosed up with the Parmesan though. I like it in small pieces on its own, but the classic dessert thing to do is drizzle a little (actual, high quality, expensive, none of this food coloring and corn syrup bullshit) balsamic vinegar on it. That's a great combo, with or without bread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

bartolimu posted:

Discendo Vox, your commitment to an already-passed mod challenge is impressive and I'm sorry I was out of town for it. I do think you hosed up with the Parmesan though. I like it in small pieces on its own, but the classic dessert thing to do is drizzle a little (actual, high quality, expensive, none of this food coloring and corn syrup bullshit) balsamic vinegar on it. That's a great combo, with or without bread.

Oh, I ain't done yet. The other two cheeses will happen this weekend, and I'll have photos of the whole process as soon as I can figure out why they won't leave my freaking phone. What's your advice on how to consume the remaining two?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Not a pound at a time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Definitely a pound at a time.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Maybe a pound at a time.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

That Works posted:

Definitely a pound at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SneakyFrog posted:

What happened to Mod Challenges? havent seen one in a bit at least in GBS anyways... GBS mods too busy for shenanigans?

FactsAreUseless posted:

They just rewarded terrible posters with more attention.

update: Roquefort's done. Less cheese, less pain, really strong taste. My throat is burning.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 2, 2016