Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Theyre all great, but yeah, it's kind of one of those things, like an American "mess plate" breakfast, everyone kind of has their own spin so you're not going to really see the same one very often. That said, Hiroshima style is known for being tedious just because it's basically like making a crepe then putting a slaw on top then put some stir fried noodles and then flip it all onto an omelette. I like the fluffy pancake clusterfuck one personally, idk if that's a specific style but the one with the crosshatched kewpie on top after a worcestershire/soy/sweet shellacking.

I used to go to Doya Doya for lunch in North Torrance. They were Osaka style. Soooooo good.

Too bad they closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I’m watching Jamie Oliver on Jamie’s 15 minute meals from the UK. The British are super bad at making Mexican food. He’s making chili con carne and the recipe is atrocious. He just described corn tortillas as “basically corn on the cob that’s been milled and dried flat”. While I suppose that is technically true it’s just a really weird way to describe corn tortillas. Like, are they really that an unusual ingredient that you guys have to describe them to each other? Also the base of his chili is chickpeas and bell peppers. The amount of cumin he used was just a pinch. Salt and pepper are literally the major seasonings he’s using.
He just finished it with brown rice. There was all of 1/2 red chili in this chili. WTF you people should be ashamed of yourselves. British Empire my rear end.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 27, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

British Empire my rear end.

Granted, they also ruin all other foods they touch.

I kid, I kid. British food can be lovely, but they have a history of destroying food. Just look at the evolution of curry in that country. Oh, just boil the meat and dump in a load of raw spices, wow this smells bad. Can't belive they eat this over at the foreign office.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Mexican food is bad in Britain, as there have always been comparatively few Mexicans. Most of our concept of Mexican food is basically tex mex that then gets put through the Englification grinder.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Croatoan posted:

I’m watching Jamie Oliver on Jamie’s 15 minute meals from the UK. The British are super bad at making Mexican food. He’s making chili con carne and the recipe is atrocious. He just described corn tortillas as “basically corn on the cob that’s been milled and dried flat”. While I suppose that is technically true it’s just a really weird way to describe corn tortillas. Like, are they really that an unusual ingredient that you guys have to describe them to each other? Also the base of his chili is chickpeas and bell peppers. The amount of cumin he used was just a pinch. Salt and pepper are literally the major seasonings he’s using.
He just finished it with brown rice. There was all of 1/2 red chili in this chili. WTF you people should be ashamed of yourselves. British Empire my rear end.

I mean, he forgot nixtamalization which means any Brits following that recipe will wind up with pellagra.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

I mean, he forgot nixtamalization which means any Brits following that recipe will wind up with pellagra.

the brits legitimately have issues with scurvy and other deficiency diseases lol

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Croatoan posted:

Yeah, the Uk and here in australia, we just don't get it, because we literally don't get good fresh ingredients (what's a tomatillo or edible cactus lol) or the people from there living here. We're more likely to have good cheap and fresh Asian and Indian food and ingredients. As far as his description of corn tortillas, you certainly aren't going to be able to source any fresh ones, at best you'll get shelf stable horrible old overpriced mission or old el paso brands that ruin your guts with all their preservatives. E: I always just use wheat local freshly made lebanese flatbreads myself.
Blame the fact the gently caress all Mexicans live in europe or australia - the border is far far away and they're not interested. If you go there or here you're just going to have to get used to mexican is just not done - embrace indian, malay, viet, indo or thai as a substitute instead and enjoy it and forget mexican food even exists. The british empire gave up on the USA long before you invaded mexico

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 27, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I will give them credit for inventing the chip butty. I thought that would be the dumbest sandwich I’ve ever had and they are actually one of my favorite guilty pleasures now.

I also remember one Britt who tried to make buffalo wings but the buffalo sauce was a mix of sweet Thai chili sauce and margarine. He was really dumb and I kind of miss that guy. It was super easy to dunk on him.
Other than curries I assume you guys just don’t really like spicy food?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Croatoan posted:

Other than curries I assume you guys just don’t really like spicy food?
That's a bad assumption. Assume uk and the empire doesn't like old el paso, mission brands or overpriced tex mex. Authentic stuff is not an option when so far away from Mexico, (and not many mexican, or north, central or south americans that can cook or start a restaurant or food business emigrate), so it loses out to authentic stuff that actual immigrants brought.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 27, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fo3 posted:

That's a bad assumption. Assume uk and the empire doesn't like old el paso, mission brands or overpriced tex mex. Authentic stuff is not an option when so far away from Mexico, so it loses out to authentic stuff that actual immigrants brought.

from my experience the actual immigrants are the only ones who can cook or season.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Sarcasm?
People need someone importing key ingredients and preparing them well to get others interested, otherwise why not try 10+ other cuisines well established that have local restaurants and have supermarkets well stocked?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Sarcasm?
People need someone importing key ingredients and preparing them well to get others interested, otherwise why not try 10+ other cuisines well established that have local restaurants and have supermarkets well stocked?
No, in HK the British restaurants underseasoned [what must be] intentionally. I guess bland is somehow nostalgic for expats.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Traditional British food, and crucially traditional British school food is super bland. There's a lot of nostalgic value in stodge, gravy and roasted things.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I spent a summer working in Ireland and England, and yes, the vast majority of those people just don't like flavor. And yes, the Irish were worse.

The other fun thing was telling people that "Chili Con Carne" isn't actually a Mexican dish... this would blow their minds, and most of them would actually try and argue the point with me!!!

"Stupid Americans, you think that you invented EVERYTHING!" :rolleyes:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Well, Texas used to be Mexico. :smug:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Squashy Nipples posted:

The other fun thing was telling people that "Chili Con Carne" isn't actually a Mexican dish... this would blow their minds, and most of them would actually try and argue the point with me!!!

"Stupid Americans, you think that you invented EVERYTHING!" :rolleyes:

I thought about that too. Wasn’t it basically invented on the Prairie with wagon trains?

As far as Irish food I’ve always heard that it was basically British food just boiled. Is that a exaggeration or misconception?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if i recall correctly the people doing this kind of stuff have a real knack for accidently targeting the wrong address

Yep. It's a weird combo of profound ignorance, ludicrous incompetence, genuine destructiveness and criminal sophistication. In thinking about it a bit more it's best understood as a cult with organized crime at the top levels- or, perhaps, an organized crime group that runs a scam cult. They run a lot of moderately legit groups that tie into other scams, like these guys.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 27, 2018

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

One day I shall realise my dream of moving to the commonwealth and opening a combination tortilla factory and pepper/tomatillo farm.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Croatoan posted:

i know jeremy clarkson's whole deal is being terrible for money so i try to ignore what he says, but i once read a quote of his utterly trashing mexican food as inedible and i legit got so mad that a dude who proudly represents one of the stodgiest culinary traditions on earth would dare disparage a global culinary powerhouse because they were brown and thus inferior in all ways

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Anyone talking trash about Mexican food eats like vomiting backwards and should have their tongue removed and given to someone who will use it.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Times like these I'm glad I have dual citizenship and can disown a country at my convenience.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i know jeremy clarkson's whole deal is being terrible for money so i try to ignore what he says, but i once read a quote of his utterly trashing mexican food as inedible and i legit got so mad that a dude who proudly represents one of the stodgiest culinary traditions on earth would dare disparage a global culinary powerhouse because they were brown and thus inferior in all ways

a racist, ignorant-rear end white dude? why i never

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ive made many different types of okonomiyaki, I highly suggest sticking to just the pancake style for your first couple dozen times.

the noodle version is just tooooo fuckin hard for an amateur to do well. I think I'm a pretty decent cook, and have seen it made first hand in japan, and still have never pulled it off to my liking after a half dozen tries.

also even when I've had a noodle one cooked by someone else, I just don't like it as much - so dunno, could be biased.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Totally Reasonable posted:

One day I shall realise my dream of moving to the commonwealth and opening a combination tortilla factory and pepper/tomatillo farm.

Pepper farm? Will it have any spice? You know any amount of spice is deadly to the citizens of the UK unless it comes in the form of vindaloo.

Edit: used my "Paris bistro mix" expensive beans to make a sausage bean soup today in my new InstantPot.

These beans are faaaaaaantastic.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I get the idea to go to the Milwaukee Public Market to pick up some fresh cheese, and might as well get some ground beef and bacon while there because burgers.

Always bring ice packs along with you kids, in case something like your ride breaking down happens.

They were delicious though:

iospace fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 29, 2018

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
In fairness, the UK is evenly divided between people who are scared of black pepper, and people who like to eat the spicieat things going to was away thr same of the first group.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

bartolimu posted:

So thanks, violently militant vegans. You did some good with that protest.

Vegans are just Tumblr ISIS.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pollyanna posted:

Vegans are just Tumblr ISIS.
No, we're vegetarian Hezbollah.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Croatoan posted:

So I got a free new foodsaver system. Why do I want this? I want to eventually do sous vide so I guess this is like half of that set up but is this really that handy? Man does it take up a lot of space.

I'm a huge evangelist of foodsavers. Sous vide, sure, including egg dishes in jars. But aside from that, here's what I vacuum:

1: Hard cheeses. Buy the big chunks, de-rind, chunk, put in bag with extra space, pull out pieces as needed.
2: Dry goods that I don't use often enough to keep in a flour canister (ie everything but flour and rice) -- tapioca starch, cornmeal, cocoa powder, etc.
3: Yeast by the pound (SAF), keep an ounce at a time in a jar in my fridge, put the rest in a vacuum jar or bag in freezer, lasts for years.
4: Spices in jars.
5: Tamales for freezing (we do a tamale party in December every year, and each participating household takes home about 40-50 tamales of various sorts).
6: Ricotta gnocchi, frozen on a sheet pan until hard, then vacuumed and back in freezer. Open bag, dump in boiling water, gnocchi in <5 minutes.

Two important pieces of advice:
1: Never buy foodsaver brand rolls or, worse, precut bags. Generic bags on Amazon are just fine, here's the ones I bought last, they're perfectly good: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQ8IXIK
2: Buy a mason jar sealer matching whichever mouthsize you have more of (I use widemouths for everything, so I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005TN7H turns a standard mason jar and lid into a vacuum jar.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

So much for the tolerant left

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Has anyone seen this? Someone shared it and I thought it was a joke, I mean, a nespresso-like pod for ONE tortilla???
http://flatev.com/

quote:

ENJOY FRESH ARTISAN BAKED GOODS ON DEMAND WITHOUT COMPROMISES.

THE FLATEV ARTISANAL BAKERY OFFERS FLEXIBILITY TO CAPTURE CURRENT AND FUTURE TRENDS.
Caps theirs, someone left their caps lock on. What the gently caress does that mean anyway?

Edit: So apparently they also had their successful kickstarter a couple of years ago https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104354043/the-artisan-tortilla-maker

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

rgocs posted:

Has anyone seen this? Someone shared it and I thought it was a joke, I mean, a nespresso-like pod for ONE tortilla???
http://flatev.com/

Caps theirs, someone left their caps lock on. What the gently caress does that mean anyway?

We want your money, trend dieters.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
For all those times when you want one (1) tortilla

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Today for lunch I would like an taco.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

British food can be good, the food culture here has improved an enormous amount since I was born. Jamie Oliver is a lowest common denominator huckster, who ruins good food by trying to make literally everything quick and easy for people who never cook. And to those who claim the only spicy food we eat is curry, I would suggest you have your next corn dog dipped in English mustard.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait, that awful rip off tortilla kickstarter actually was funded? And they actually produced a product? White yuppies were a mistake.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I mean, you can just buy raw tortillas and cook them without a purpose built machine, but

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Speaking of, the tortilla land raw ones are pretty drat delicious and available even in my hickass rural as gently caress hometown which is nice.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I used to think making tortillas was hard until I married a woman from New Mexico who owned a tortilla press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Apparently Guy Fieri been feeding fire evacuees.