Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Siochain posted:

Potato farming family. We re-seed a lot of what we grow (well, not literally a lot, one potato makes a lot of babbypotatoseeds).
Whats a taterseed look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sjurygg posted:

Only thing I don't understand is why people travel a quarter of the way across the globe to lie on a beach.

On the 2 weeks of the year where it's 90 degrees on our beaches the water is still ice loving cold and there's rocks and seagull poo poo everywhere.

The only bad part about going somewhere like southern Florida to go lay on the beach is getting sunburned in like the first 3 hours you are there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Which infuriates you more, seeing people break spaghetti up as they put it in a pot of boiling water, or when they run a knife and fork through a whole plate of it as if they are serving it to a 2 year old child?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's America's #1 pasta? Chef Boyardee?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Drifter posted:

Pasta's pasta if it's the same ingredients. I like rotelle because it's tiny little wheels but I wouldn't turn down pasta if it were spaghetti instead. It's all about the sauces and stuff, anyways.

Make lasagna or stuffed shells with spaghetti or macaroni. I'll wait :smug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

oh yeah that sounds great.

The McRib of steaks

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You can use whatever fat you want, so just go with something cheap.

Frankly I have no idea why people want to use olive oil all the time for everything.

I blame RR

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mash up some yukon golds (peel half of them), add a cup of chicken drippings then salt and pepper to taste. Glorious.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Apparently taking a bite out of a muffin and then putting it back is a thing people do. They're self-serve, not free, and now I have to throw that muffin away along with the other ones you pawed with your gross hands or inexplicably ripped to pieces, you loving savages.
Sell the bit muffins for 50 percent off!

Wait, are they biting the stump or the top?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

esperantinc posted:

Fried pickles are just great in general.

I'm not a fan of the Hooters or BWW ones, they are soft pickles in onion ring batter.

I like a Claussen-style crispy pickle in a tempura batter. And chunks, not slices. You want the pickle to stand out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My dad used to work at a pickle factory for years. When I was a kid I used to roll down the hill in front out of house in a big cardboard barrel of salt or some other ingredient.

He never makes pickles at home on his own, though :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

How come Claussens are crunchy?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Isn't it the paprika turning black not so much the fish itself? That's exactly how the folks that eat catfish they catch up here cook it. But they're eat carp too

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If you don't have AC in the summer, you have to put your fruit in the refrigerator or you'll end up with melted lumps of green peppers and such on the counter top. Ew.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Not only do I make bread, but I sell bread made from an electric oven. From everything I've heard from everybody, electric ovens are far better than gas.

People pay extra for gas ranges with electric ovens!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

contrapants posted:

Why is everyone saying that electric ranges are worse?
Temperature control on an electric range is basically non-existant.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Uses for eggplant:

Bread and fry. Top with mozzarella if you wish

Cube and stirfry. Not bad really.

Roast and blend into tahini to make bobaganoush. Tasty but you have to get acclimated to it's slightly bitter, smokey taste.

Make into a big sloppy curry. I think you could do this with anything and it work, except dog poop.

I've seen it in ratatouille and roasted with tomatoes but I haven't personally tried so I can't vouch for it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey I just wanted to drop this here in case anyone was ever even considering eating something sourced from China.

https://www.chinadialogue.net/article/show/single/en/7076-Special-report-the-legacy-of-Hunan-s-polluted-soils

tl;dr 20% of Chinese farmland contaminated with heavy metals

So that's why those 1lb bags of chili powder are only $1 at the Asian market.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Scientastic posted:

Cleaning blenders is really, really easy. You put some washing up liquid in the blender with a little water, press blend. Tip it out, replace with water. Blend. Repeat until washed.

You have to get in there with a sponge or rag and wipe it down. My ex refused to do that and just ran soap/water through it and it would get a nasty film inside. Blech.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Yelp reviews are such bullshit. Should I go back to Zagat.

Yelp, the home of many 5-star Applebees. I hate yelp reviews so much.

Five stars but 2 people at your table didn't like their food, drinks were slow and waitress forgot an appetizer. But they seemed nice!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I've had at least 5 Yelp reviews removed, and about 10 are filtered out of the 70 or so I've done

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Is anyone else a bit terrified to travel to foreign countries because you feel there's not much there you would eat? I love Japanese culture and am very interested in the country but I don't think I could ever visit there for any serious length of time due to the fact that I've never seen "Japanese Cuisine" I've been brave enough to put in my mouth...

That's pretty much the whole point of traveling for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I think I add an onion to everything I cook

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

$100 for a dinner for 4 easily.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Plus_Infinity posted:

Yeah I saw some $20/meal/person numbers thrown out on some websites I found.

Obviously this is under the table and I have zero operating costs but I also can't buy things in bulk/at restaurant prices so maybe it evens out?

Let's say you spend $30-something on food. You've got your time and expertise, etc.

Even if they bought the food and you just cooked it up for $40, here's the next problem: They refer some friends to you, and they're expecting the same price.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Though I bought some organic hippie dippie popcorn from a hippie store a couple weeks ago and that poo poo has the highest pop %age of any popcorn I've ever purchased in my life. Our scorn can't explain that.

I used to eat popcorn with my ex all the time. It started out as just buying a bag from the local theater, then we started buying bags of kettle corn and microwaving it, then as she got crazier she started air popping and doing garlic and nutritional yeast, and ended up doing coconut oil with brown rice syrup and cinnamon...
:smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The packs we used to buy for our popper at work had a pack of kernels+salt and then a little block of coconut oil :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Girl at work asked "What should I cook for dinner?"

Her husband is a giant child and will not eat:

Vegetables (other than potato)
Fish
Beans

Basically they eat Mac & Cheese, chicken nuggets, cheese quesadillas, and poo poo like that every day.

Every suggestion I made was shot down. Poor girl.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sjurygg posted:

Did you suggest divorce?

They had pizza all weekend. On Sunday her mom brought her a chicken pot pie "WHICH I LOVED BECAUSE IT HAD ACTUAL VEGETABLES"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My 9 year old didn't want to eat what I cooked for her one night last week.
Sever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

-any sort of red meat, aside from ham and bacon.

:eng101: Pork isn't red meat

What's with today's kids being picky eaters and gluten-intolerant? I was raised on PBJ sandwiches and bologna sandwiches. We ate slices of bread/butter with almost every dinner.

Not like something? You sat there at the dinner table and you loving ate it, or fell asleep.

I think the only thing my mom quit making was spinach (microwaved, canned, yuck) because I hated it. But now I eat loving entire cans of it because I know how to cook it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Your parents didn't have one of these on the fridge?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

contrapants posted:

My parents rotated between the same four meals my whole childhood

Same here. Meatballs/meatloaf, hamburger helper, Prego spaghetti, banquet salisbury steak, boiled potatoes, microwaved canned green beans, tacos, fried pork chops. That's the extent of my mom's cooking.

contrapants posted:

Also, any trace of pink in meat meant it was raw and had to be cooked for at least another 20 minutes.

Same here. I didn't realize meat wasn't shoe leather until I was like 20.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

paraquat posted:

I don't think he ever tasted pancakes from a store bought mix, so that makes him weird....sounds legit :-D

I like Kodiak Cakes pancake mix, if you're lucky your local stores carry it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does it seriously take a million dollar investigation to figure this poo poo out?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

The average person doesn't know why salting your pasta water is a thing and have to have it explained to them in the clearest way possible.
I was thinking more along the lines of when they said, "We are charging $9.99 for a ladle of lovely sauce on top of a pile of poorly cooked spaghetti."

I'm also happy that management agrees with me that their breadsticks are vile. Someone posted that on Facebook and my feed blew up with people saying "OMG THEY'RE SO DUMB THOSE BREADSTICKS ARE SOOOO GOOOOD"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nicol Bolas posted:

okay well then boy do i have a surprise for you: take a hot dog bun, brush it with vegetable oil, and sprinkle it with garlic powder and canned parmesean cheese and it is gonna blow your mind

You forgot salt. Lots of salt.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Olive Garden is the one restaurant here that is packed 24/7. You will wait 45 minutes between 5pm and 8pm every day of the loving week.

The fat slobs who march in there wearing sweatpants and pajamas do not want 'real italian food'. They want plates of fettucini alfredo and lasagna and those stupid lasagna fritta things which are just loving mozzarella sticks. They also don't drink wine.

Would it be nice if they started serving 'real' italian food? Sure. But anyone who wants that or knows what it is, more than likely has a local place they like, and aren't going to dagobee's to eat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Midniter posted:

My first ever serving job was at Olive Garden. I worked there on and off throughout college. For those who aren't aware, when a very obese person would come in, too fat to sit in a typical chair with arms, we'd have to get a "Larry chair" for them (one that doesn't have arms). Over the four years I worked there, we probably had to triple our allotment of Larry chairs due to increased demand.

I work at a company that makes a product for Wal-Mart. 600lb capacity was not enough, we had to increase it by 25% 'due to demand'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Disclaimer: please do not give supplements to your baby
I feel bad for whoever changes that kid's diapers.