Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:psyduck: just sharpen your knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Would it be appropriate to post a twitch stream link anywhere? If so, what thread? I'm going to try doing a live cooking show while my wife is out of town for the next 5 days.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There are some motherfucking delicious Asian salads which include mint. I had one yesterday which had kale, salad greens, sliced avocado, snow peas, and baby peas. Dressing had fish sauce (I used a combination of miso and black bean garlic paste), lime juice, toasted sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, chopped red chili, and a little sugar.

Exact recipe is at home. Let me know if you want it. Here is my favorite salad with mint, though: http://www.pepperplate.com/sharedrecipe.aspx?id=751b26e1-bb72-4fec-8682-c592633c9509

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tastes good man

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:allears:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Would it be appropriate to post a twitch stream link anywhere? If so, what thread? I'm going to try doing a live cooking show while my wife is out of town for the next 5 days.

So uh nobody said anything so here goes:

twitch.tv/adamtheamateur come make fun of ~Asian inspired~ (white guy) fried rice. First 30 minutes I'll be making honeycomb candy and showing how to sharpen a knife.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Echeveria posted:

Sure sure sure, but not peanut butter, onion, chicken broth ~blend~

Nothing about that seems palatable. I'll just throw some peanut butter in a blender with some milk and toss that back.

Dunno why, but you just reminded me that Vitamixes have a "soup" function where you add raw ingredients and it makes hot soup by blending until friction creates enough heat :downs:

Kinda want to make some Vitamix dump soups just for fun, now.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, it's a novelty thing that's cool the first few times you do it. I just make the soup normally on the stove and vitamix for 30 seconds now. Way quieter.

Yeah, but if I wear out the motor before 7 years I get a free replacement :v:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

This might be a stupid question, but has anyone ever tried using Vicks nasal spray to open up their nasal passages in order to smell aromas better and therefore strengthen the flavor of the foods they were eating?

You can also bring mint chip ice cream up to around 140°F before eating drinking. Hurts the texture a bit but makes the oils more volatile

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if medicating your nasal cavity makes an appreciable difference in your ability to taste food you probably want to see a doctor about that

The best part is imagining cooking for a hot date. "Hey baby, sorry, I've been trying to cut my sodium intake by 0.5%, and I've figured out how to season food to a Vicks palate. Here, I bought you your own nasal spray!"

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

GrAviTy84 posted:

make your own in hinge top jars using your Anova/Joule/PolyScience/Sous Vide Magic/Sansaire

One of our cats likes to eat our rabbits' orchard grass hay. it's really weird.

Without fail, every time we come home from the ~farmers market~, our cat sneaks a bite of whatever greens poke out of the bag. Bought her a cat grass planter but she wants scallion greens :kimchi:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If your body is just craving the flavor of meat, then bacon should pair well with most recipes and also blend well enough. You might even trick yourself with the umami from mushrooms and/or MSG as well.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

Breatharianism won't catch on because there isn't much there to sell and make money off of.

Look at this guy who doesn't know about books (very high profit margin), $132 5-part Tele seminar or the $197 ebook + 8-part video program :rolleyes:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tartare. Sushi!

Goondolances :(

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

From the homebrew thread:

wireless temperature probe that can text you when your freezer is hosed

$25 plus some AAAs seems like it might be worth hundreds of dollars of meat!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croatoan posted:

Truth be told having it stuffed full actually puts less wear and tear on a freezer. The mass holds the temp way better than just cold air.

Anyway a chest freezer is great and I love mine.

This is less important for chest freezers, actually. It's not the "holding of the temp" that matters, it's what happens when you open the door. Cold air spills out and is replaced by room temperature air, which must then be chilled. Upright freezers, the cold air spills out. Chest freezers don't spill out air, since cold air isn't as buoyant as hot air so it stays all nestled in.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Arrgytehpirate posted:

No, I used soda instead of powder. I bought the wrong thing and didn't realize until too late.

What material and color did you bake it on/in? If it calls for glass, ceramic/stone, or cast iron and you instead used thin metal, that will do it. If it called for metal and you used dark metal, that'd do it too.

Baking soda is likely it, though. Unrelated but holy poo poo do not try the "5 minute caramelized onions!!!" trick with baking soda :barf:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The best burger is one grilled at home on delicious propane

I tell you hwat

e: oh wait I have actual content!

I just got my brother's wedding catered. 15 of the 60 people had some kind of dietary need - vegetarian, vegan, no dairy, gf, all kinds. We're 45 minutes out of town, and food arrives just in time!

The vegetarian fettuccine accidentally has chicken. Whatevs no big deal, lots of vegan options. Still, she offered to get someone to bring a replacement free of charge.

45 minutes later, it shows up... with like 5% of a normal amount of chicken. I guess they took a chicken batch and helpfully picked most of it out?

I didn't even notice until, 5 minutes after it arrived, I announced "oh hey guys the vegetarian fettuccine is here! :haw:

Someone in the crowd: "uhh if you're very strict vegetarian, you should know..." Whoops!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 9, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Big Beef City posted:

Oy.

That sounds like a good time. Are you going after the food service provider, or did they not know, or...?

In this vein, how did the guests respond? I ask because while I am not vegan or requiring any special diet, I do very much come from the 'eat what is served to you, or shut the gently caress up' school.
I guess what I'm getting at is, were I vegetarian and a guest at someone else's function and served something, I'd simply set aside the meat (or other parts that I object to) and move on, even if it were a mistake. Were I not able to partake, I simply would not. If I had been told 'yes we will provide this for you' and they didn't, that'd be something else.

I am not projecting this on the people at your event, but it seems like when you attend some one else's catered dinner where the choices are "Beef, fish, Veg", and you cross them all off and write in "I have special dietary needs and would like a specially selected..." then you can kinda gently caress right off with that mindset, and that seems fairly common now, and I dunno if I'm the pissy old grandpa or what.

I mean my brother is a hippy dippy Oaklander and so were most of the guests, so the invite was clear that you could order whatever special snowflake thing you wanted and we'd figure it out.

We are fine with the caterer. No ill will, no negative yelp review, they were great. Just some people don't understand what vegetarian really means to some folks :shrug:

The guests were also chill about it. It was a buffet service, so nobody turned noses up at waiters or anything. The only person who mentioned it was the duder who noticed the little bits of chicken. I saw said duder still eating it, so I think he was just warning others who might have more strict diets/convictions.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Squashy Nipples posted:

I could build a meatship...

Best I could do:

It was fun, tasty, and fun.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bob Morales posted:

Why doesn't anyone else like meatball subs? It's too much hassle to make like... 2 for myself.

Meatball subs are the best. Never mind this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTlHHm3RIW0&t=373s
These would make amazing Mediterranean pitas or Vietnamese Banh Mi:

I got the recipe from My Paris Kitchen, but it looks like it's online here. Note: make sure you have some fat in your ground meat, or add a panade or some butter. We were using mystery ground beef from a Blue Apron box and it turned out a little dry.

The engineer in me wants to make these as pseudo tetrahedrons next time, to make them easier to evenly brown :spergin:

sidenote: fattoush goes great with the above and sumac is my new favorite spice:

Squashy Nipples posted:

I love em! One of my favorite things to do with leftover meatballs. Not a lot of meat in my house these days, so now it's mostly an occasional treat from the pizza shop.

Speaking of which, the Mrs. made me a vegan meatball sandwich yesterday. It was loving delicious, but it gave me the worst gas. The main ingredients are TVP and oats, so I'm blaming the TVP.
Why the hell does TVP make me fart when tofu does not?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWdED0pnPHN/

Looks great. I've never used TVP, but I'm always down for veggie burger adjuncts. Does it have any generic directions as a substitute, or does your recipe pretty much need to be formulated for it?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

GrAviTy84 posted:

I love meatball subs, but more often than not I prefer to just eat a bowl of meatballs with a chunk of toasted crusty bread. It tastes the same, idk, just feels more satisfying idk why, probably cause bougie or something.

This is how I enjoy all of my "sandwiches" that might suffer from over-stuffing. Add all ingredients to a plate, take bites in correct proportions. If you want to be fancy, cube up your bread and call it a salad. Whatever you do, don't call it deconstructed unless you have a pencil mustache.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Banh mi are the best of all foods, so there is no need to consider alt-sandwiches :colbert:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Suspect Bucket posted:

So I wanna do him one back and make him something tasty. What are some good eggless, dairyless baked goods I could make? I was maybe thinking like a herb cracker with a nut-cheese spread.

ATK baking stuff turns out great, if you use King Arthur flour, since that's what they use to formulate it. You're in luck -- they just posted this one, so it's in the few weeks between publishing and going behind their paywall!

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/guides/vegan-for-everybody/vegan-chocolate-chip-cookies

I have a copy saved on a recipe manager, so if this goes behind a paywall, PM me.

I haven't tried them but I may very shortly.

unrelated: a bit of :3:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I have one, and it's decent.

Only one dish is technically leakproof - the soup container - but the two side bowls are leakproof enough. The insulated "main bowl" is very NOT leak-proof. Be careful there.

I wouldn't buy it again for the following reasons:
  • It's insulated, but so are a myriad of cheap lunch boxes
  • Sometimes you have food that doesn't fit all in 4 containers, due to many components, awkward shape, etc.
  • More frequently, you have fewer components, so it's wasted space/weight you don't need to carry

I would just get an expandable/collapsible lunch box + some glass snap-lock tupperware and mason jars. More flexible. Really the only allure to the Mr. Bento for me is that the carrying case is slick as hell. If I were a high-powered exec who still packed his own lunch and needed to keep a professional image, I'd use it.

e: oh, and the spork is awesome and has a constant spot in my EDC. Nice to have the cover so you can wipe it down and give it a good cleaning later, when it's convenient.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 14, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

What notes do y'all keep on recipes you've cooked? I have a horrible memory, which is why I've kept notes for the ~380 kinds of beer I've tried, but it honestly never occurred for me to do the same for recipes. I guess I'll change that now!

I'll just use a same tab on my beer spreadsheet, and here is what I'm keeping track of so far:
  • Active time (e.g. before it goes in the oven)
  • Total time
  • Overall rating*
  • Easiness rating
  • Tags, including season(s), meal type, potluck-friendly, make-ahead, etc.
  • General notes

*1-5 scale, with half-points because that's what EYB uses. I use a guide for scoring, since my poor memory also means I worry about subjectivity when rating. 5-4.5 stars = would eat every week. 3.5-4 stars = would eat every month/season, lowest I would serve to guests. 2.5-3 = when produce available demands it, good. 1.5-2 = would eat out of politeness, wouldn't pay for it.

Sorry for the :spergin:, I just love spreadsheets. Also I just joined EYB so I want to be consistent when I rate recipes there.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

e: ^^^ sliced and grilled (I guess grill then slice if you're on a real grill, I use cast iron) then star in a quesadilla is my favorite. They fit anywhere bell peppers do, and need to be treated similarly. You can also pickle them if you have too many!

dino. posted:

This. If I do modify a baking recipe, I'll just change the drat thing, and discard the old one. Mind you, the baking recipes I use live on my Notes app on my phone, so that I can see them on all my devices, and make changes from any of the devices.

Oh for sure. We write in books all the time, but I plan on eventually putting out a cookbook, for my family if nothing else. I also hate making the same mistake twice, which has happened before.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 16, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

poop dood posted:

So what do you guys think? Potential problems, general suggestions? Anyone tried something like this before?

Do it. If you want a test cook to try some recipes, I have a whipper that needs exercise.

Just make sure your whipper isn't the issue of a recall :rip:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you can spare the warm-up time, a pizza stone / steel / extra cast-iron pan in the bottom of your oven might help to smooth out the fluctuations.

I mean if the thermostat is shot, that sucks, but it may just be fluctuating between +- 25°F from the target. If it's consistently high or low you can calibrate it too, for my GE oven you just hold both the broil + bake buttons for a few seconds then +/- as needed.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Or, if you're particularly lazy, grill portobello A with butter. Optionally, top with garnish herb B.

I personally hate that, but it's the easiest way to offer a vegetarian entree if you don't actually like vegetarians. His frustration is probably with the idea that vegetarians like ordering side dishes, and at a BBQ joint 90% of them are cooked in bacon fat and 10% are cooked in lard.

Author of the rant has at least two good points:

quote:

Friesen says that he's done with people who have inconsistent allergies ("Shellfish allergy but loves oyster sauce") or those who claim that they're sensitive to gluten, but only the gluten in bread.

quote:

You make it really drat hard for people with actual allergies and dietaries to go out to eat.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pinterest tips that actually work: spiral-cut hotdogs are crispy and good.

(side-by-side comparison)

Also, pretzel buns are pretty easy if you have time to let them rise:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

CommonShore posted:

I've been served cooked spaghetti sauce which was shredded and chilled in a salad. It was actually pretty good

This is very confusing until you realize the typo

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi, I just wanted to drop by and say that this menu never ceases to amuse me, and I hope it will amuse some of you as well.

http://www.ckwings.com/wing-menu.html

The whole menu's good too but the wings menu is where it's at. I've never eaten here before but I've been tempted to go check them out even if their menu is just absolutely loving stupid. I've heard that their food is legitimately good.

990. Caramel Apple :barf:

If you ever win the lottery, order one of everything and document A) how long the order takes and B) their attempts to identify them all when they bring them to you. Personally, I'd use egg cartons, but that'd still take 84 cartons.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's probably a question of ratios of like 15 different ingredients, one being "base buffalo" and 7 of which are needed just for the smores wings

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I just use dish soap and the brillo side of my normal sponge :colbert:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Invited a friend couple + a single friend to dinner. Told the single person to bring a guest if she wanted. When she showed up, it was with her – surprise! – vegetarian roommate, who we hadn't really met before. You knew she was vegetarian, right?

Thankfully, we were making pulled pork tacos with a couple sides, so we just refried some black beans, but drat that could have been awkward.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bob Morales posted:

Vegan? Here's chips, salsa, and an apple.

Look at Mr. Moneybags here who can afford fruit. Go back to your estate, Mr. Rockefeller!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Loutre posted:

Any other suggestions for big make ahead meals which I can, to quote my dentist, "cut with a plastic spoon"?

Do you like polenta? You can add any kind of sauce and/or creamed greens. I like it pretty thick, but you can get any consistency your diet needs.

My favorite:

That's "grits with pimento cheese and (not pictured) salsa" from Deep Run Roots. I can dig up the recipe if you like.

e: here are some other recipes which are already online. We've cooked all of these and they work well, though some underestimate the time it takes to cook real polenta:
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grits-creamed-cashews
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/garlicky-mustard-greens
http://joythebaker.com/2014/09/sausage-cheddar-grits-crust-less-quiche/
http://asweetspoonful.com/2013/09/summer-in-september.html
http://thefirstmess.com/2014/10/16/crispy-eggplant-polenta-bites-recipe/
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pork-ragu-creamy-polenta

not polenta, still good:
http://www.sproutedkitchen.com/home/2014/2/2/roasted-fennel-and-white-bean-dip.html
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cream-of-cashew-pea-soup/amp
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/caramelized-garlic-spinach-and-cheddar-tart/amp
http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2012/09/cashew-corn-chowder-with-cilantro-cream/

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

how are they related to caramel apples? The ones rolled in peanuts, obviously