Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Oh my god you guys, seriously.

We can talk about pigs in a blanket, though:

wafflesnsegways posted:

OK, everyone's bragging about how big their adventurous food dicks are, but I want to go the other way. What have you ordered that was too much for you to handle?

I thought Natto would be right up my alley, but it turns out that I am just not that wordily. Did OK for the first couple bites, but when that aftertaste really sank in, I had to give up.

And I recently got a bowl of yen ta fo at a Thai restaurant. This one I finished, but the intense acid with the intense sweetness, and the fish flavors... I'm making it sound really good, actually, but it was just too intense for me.

Whenever natto gets brought up, I feel compelled to being back cooking with charmmi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ERD3jWOcdY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

I never thought I'd use the words "good idea" and "mediaphage" together, but good show.

>:[

I'm going to pretend it's because how often are you really going to use the word 'mediaphage'?

Steve Yun posted:

Durian is creamy and doesn't actually taste bad it just smells bad, so I think it's more like eating pudding while someone is farting in your face

Before I knew what durian was, I bought some kind of durian coconut milk ice cream from Jungle Jim's and I thought it was pretty good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

then it only requires a funeral.

Preferably the cook's.

HEY-O!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah but Kraft Mac can be easily made in five or six minutes total, using the microwave. No idea why people bother with the stove if it's just Kraft.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah, I have left my iPad all over the place and always gotten it back; I'm just a bit absent-minded. A few weeks ago I left it sitting on top of the self-checkouts at Home Depot - mind you, I remembered like 15 minutes later and went and got it, but the staff had already looked through it to try and call me, and then went and locked it up when someone turned it in.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Irony ++

I really do feel that way, though.

I used to feel that way, and still enjoy libraries. I have to travel a lot, though, and the convenience of ebooks pushed me over the edge. It helps that e-ink is basically the same visual experience as a paper book.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Thanks for the offer :) Most of what I read is more readily available on the kindle though, the main objection I have for the kindle is that there is one price for americans, and another price for danes (bet most of you didn't know that).

You could just make an Amazon.com account, and buy your books on that account.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

That is what I have, but they're smart enough to check credit card information against the address you provide, meaning that if you're card is danish you get to pay the premium of being a foreigner.

..also - you cannot buy a kindle (or content) in the uk store, you have to buy it in the US store.

Same thing with iTunes, where you can circumvent it, and get to buy in the american store by using gift cards (which can be bought at a 10% premium at eBay), and registering with an american address (I am Voodoo Donuts in Portland).

You can't set up a new Amazon.com US account, then buy US gift cards for it?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rinsing off pasta is fine if you're eating it cream-based sauces or olive oil and vegetables, etc. It's terrible if you're eating it with tomato-based sauces, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I don't feel like adding to this argument, but once I made a corn bread circuit by leaving my buttermilk cornbread in the cast iron for a few hours. My mistake was covering it with aluminum foil...holes were eaten in the foil with precipitate deposited onto the bread.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Server migration, be back up in a bit, if you're using the applet. You can always logon using an IRC client, though:

irc.synirc.net / #foodchat

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like Asian desserts :(

Does your fiancée know about Ms. Desserts?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

Red bean paste is indeed the best. I think it could easily make the leap to becoming popular in America, too. It's sweet and hearty and flavorful and really not weird at all. Put it in everything.

it's no worse than the stuff inside of Fig Newtons (which I quite like, but that's beside the point).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bunnielab posted:

Other then the very low pay, that really doesn't seem that bad, like I am sure that meatpacking plant guys would kill for that poo poo.

"It could be worse" is not sufficient justification for terrible working conditions. Ever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Every time I wash out a ziploc bag and hang it to dry, I feel more like a poor immigrant than someone saving the planet. I wash my paper towels in the kitchen sink and reuse them as well; one time my friend saw me doing that and told me to stop being such an immigrant, and I was all like, "These things are expensive, I ain't gonna stop just to feel like a wasteful American, dude."

And then I felt like a poor immigrant anyway.

Wait seriously? Seriously seriously? You wash your paper towels? How is that in any way a better use of your time than doing something for a job and then buying new paper towels? Cheap paper towels are pretty danged cheap.

And if it's down to that, why not just use cloths from the dollar store or whatever, and toss them in the laundry with the rest of your clothes? I just don't see how washing paper towels is a winning scenario.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

I just resigned and I feel fiiiiiine

o/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

I love my line of work. I'd recommend being a farmer or a conservationist to anyone. It feels good, man.

Having done it, it was a worthwhile endeavor but absolutely I don't think it's something I'd want to do forever. As anything more than a hobby, I mean.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

kiteless posted:

SEA as in Seattle? Because... wtf? It's in every single Asian restaurant. And even many non-Asian restaurants. So I'm confused.

On a Sriracha related note, my awesome husband made homemade Sriracha today. And baked bread. And built 2 awesome trellises. And made dinner. Good husband!

I think they meant Southeast Asia.

Which makes sense, that style of that kind of sauce was created in the States.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I wonder what citrus and tomatoes would taste like in recipes if you neutralized their acidity by adding something alkaline.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i shoot friendlies posted:

BOO-YA!

Can icing made with milk be left out, or does it have to be refrigerated? I know a huge subset of people "would never use milk in icing!!!!!!" but that is irrelevant to my question. My concern is if it will spoil if it has a couple tablespoons of milk. Any of you bacteriologists have an opinion on this?

Also, where is Worldmaker?

Define left out. If it's out overnight, like, on a cupcake, I'd still eat it the next day. Sitting in a bowl on the counter for several days might be iffy, but with that much sugar in there it's probably not worth worrying about.

On an iced cake: sure.

In a bowl: just put it in the fridge.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Phummus posted:

Show of hands. How many of you cut a hole in a sheet so that you can procreate with the womenfolk without all that sinful nudity?

What the hell, people?

I could get behind this. Who wants to look at a woman that way, anyway?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

4-H camp was great!

Learned all about pressure points in first aid so I could inflict pain on everyone I knew*, as well as CPR, swimming, singing, campfires, shooting ranges, hiking nature trails, making a lamp, enormous bubbles, egg races, three-leg races, and other camp games, canoeing, etc.

Ahhh.

*= Not their intended use.

----------------------------------------------

THIS IS NOT HOW HEAT WORKS:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I have found that the biggest improvement to hummus making, for me personally, was to cook the chickpeas for longer than I thought they really needed. So I'll put them in the pressure cooker with a scant 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and cook them until they just turn into the creamiest mush when you press them between the tongue and roof of the mouth.

I don't put more than 3 or so Tbsp of tahini in for a single batch, because I like to use hummus a lot, and don't need all the extra fat. If I'm making it for guests or a party, I'll add more tahini and oil (>_>). In a similar vein, I don't use much olive oil.

Then I blend it with a bit more salt than you think it'll take, some cayenne pepper (or other heat source), a tiny smidge of cumin, lemon juice and garlic. Sometimes I'll take a fresh herb or roasted pepper and toss it in, and sometimes I'll blend basil or other greens like parsley in oil to make a green oil, then drizzle that on top.

Great with fresh pitas. Or anything else.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Thanks. I might try the porridge setting (which uses high heat for five minutes) to get the temperature up, and then leave on slow cook for 9 hours. Is the bicarb helpful in softening them?

Yeah. If you cook beans a lot, I have to recommend a pressure cooker; it gets them done from dry in 40 minutes or so, and is pretty great.

While I advocate soaking from dry because it's so much cheaper, it's not that big of a flavor improvement over dry. If you want to use canned, just rinse them off and recook them for a while to get them softer; canned chickpeas are not, in my experience, soft enough out of the can for really great hummus.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Phummus posted:

I'll do pics when I make it. I'll do the soak tonight and the hummus tomorrow night as long as nothing goes haywire in the ol' domestic life.

My plan is to soak 1 cup of dry, cook them (which should yield about 3 cups cooked), put them in the food processor with 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, around 2 Tablespoons of tahini, and the juice of a lemon and spin them up. Then I'll drizzle in extra virgin olive oil until I get the consistency I want. Should I expect the final product to firm up in the refrigerator a bit because there's several different kinds of fat in there?

I dunno about you, but I prefer to leave the olive oil out of the hummus. I've found over the years that you have to add a looot to get a really great consistency. Instead I'll trickle in some water (sometimes combining the tahini, lemon and water, then drizzling that all in) until I hit it where I want. Then I'll pour some olive oil on top, so you get a little with every scoop.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fuckin' knife nerds.

I dunno, I've never paid much for knives. As long as they're sharp enough that the cut takes a long time to start bleeding, I don't care too much.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

As soon as I saw it I thought of Dino

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

I heard that in France they call french toast "toast".

I know you're being funny, but it's called pain perdu, or lost bread.

The French aren't big on toast like we are, though I stayed with a woman who bought tiny, storebought toasts and ate them occasionally with breakfast. Most French have access to some sort of patisserie along their daily commute and awesome breads - and what we consider French bread usually doesn't toast super well for a number of reasons. So they buy pre-toasted toast.

Fun fact, the sandwich bread that most Americans buy is called pain de mie, where mie means the crumb of the bread (as opposed to bread crumbs). It's because there's so much mie and so little croûte.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pnumoman posted:

I liked the first book; I don't want to watch the movie since I have such a vivid idea in my mind of how things should look. Katniss, for example, looks just wrong to me. (Of course, the actress is drat hot, but still, not what I had in mind at all.)

I couldn't get past the first few chapters of the second book. I heard the third book was even worse.

And if I lived in France, I wouldn't eat toast either. I'd eat butter and baguettes and croissants every day, and die of diabetes and a heart attack all at once.

You forgot chocolate. It's a thing to butter up baguettes and dip them in chocolates of various drinkability.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Whee, NYC tomorrow night, then back to Canadia.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

The gently caress?! I say Canadia! The only other person I know who did this is a dear colleague who died a few years ago.

I didn't realise you were a Canuck. Explains why you are so grouchy.

I'm so not. Transplant. I did receive no fewer than two copies of How to Be a Canadian for Christmas from the in-laws, though. :|

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dino. posted:

Charmmi and Mr. Charmmi are gone back to Norfolk. :( I am le sad.

I am a poor stand-in for the ebullient tour de force that is the Charmmis, but I'm in town tomorrow and the 18th if you want to grab a bite.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dino. posted:

Does lunch work? I'm at work from like 2 PM - 9 PM on Tuesday - Thursday. However, I'm always game for a quick nosh and a beer or something. :)

What about a Wednesday breakfunch? I land at 13h tomorrow, and go straight to a 3 hour meeting. My plane doesn't leave until 15h.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dino. posted:

Certainly. I'd love to have you and VM come over or meet you bums somewhere downtown, so that I don't have to go rushing out at 1 PM. I wake up at 7 am every day anyway, so Wednesday breakfunch would definitely work. I can make chickpea dosas, and coconut chatni, and a bit of a vegetable something or other. If you want to solidify details, just shoot me an email at altveg@me.com and I'll give you two my mobile phone number, so we can move it to text messages. :)

Email sent. Feel free to give my number to VM as well. How long does it take to get to your place? Downtown would prolly be easier just so I don't have to worry about getting a taxi back to LGA.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guys guys prolly moving here soon what should first cookerying be:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gratuitous sink shot:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yayayayaayaayayayyayayayaya lease signing this week.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i shoot friendlies posted:

I think we have a good working relationship here. I post, and you post borderline psychotic responses. It seems to work.

This is the post that really stood out, though:

What?? Where I am, CPS means "Child Protective Services". Are you saying you would try to get my children taken away because of my opinions on cooking? I take back everything I said about SubG. This is the most mentally unbalanced post in this whole discussion.

I cannot even imagine what CPS would have to do with this. What is the thought process behind this? Is it something like, "I will tell on you to SA, and if they won't do anything I will tell on you to the government." How would this conversation go?

Sigh. Trolls trolling trolls.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

It's mostly good where you can squeeze the skin together - e.g., cuts. If you chop off your pinky tip it's not so applicable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Walk Away posted:

Maybe he could give you an attitude adjustment.

Where the heck did that come from?