Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Vegetable Melange posted:

Man, lavender wins. I use springs to garish my bloody marys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

At what point in time does it become ok to unfriend someone?

Right now I am seriously considering wether I should give notice to two couples in our immediate circle of friends, who're, I'm afraid, delivering sub-par friend performance.

They have clearly misunderstood basic human right policies, and have begun to consider brown people a menace to society, furthermore they no longer are able to invest in, or welcome diversity, and this not in a droll manner.

They too have adopted a level of political correctness that I find unsettling, and they have become the Stepford Families, yet without a patriachially induced motivator.

I am loving fed up with discussing mortgages, kids schools, bosses being unreasonable, educational prowess, working unreasonably long hours (50hrs a week - who're you loving kidding), and - yes - the menace to society that is represented through brown(muslim) people.

I have previously done so in writing, but this time I'm thinking of just shunning them!

I'll be your friend Dino!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

On a happier note - one of my oldest buddies has left his spouse (who was a pain), and is moving into our basement, we're letting him have it practically for free. Long nights of talking, eating, drinking, and being men ahead!

Edit: For free means that he has to pay for water, heat and electricity.

Edit 2: Also happily - I've gotten a new sponsor kid, who is 7 yrs old, because the old one got picked up by her mom, who had bettered her financial situation - new one is hard of hearing, so he is going to a special needs school, but he loves to dance, and he looks :3

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 13, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I like turtles posted:

I found a :nws: thing while researching ketchup types, https://nakedvegancooking.com
Apparently there's a nudist vegan community. It makes sense, I guess, but it hadn't really occurred to me before this.

Bottom of first page..

Vegan nudists posted:

P.S. Regular readers will know that we talk a lot about gender and race issues on the blog. Allow us to point you towards a great new resource: Liberate Yourself. This website allows you to learn more about the experiences of black people, disabled people, LGBT people and women. You can also ask anonymous questions on any topic.

There is not a single black person, a single disabled person on that naked thing.. While there are women, that entire statement makes me lose hope in humanity.

I am happy for knowing dino, because that statement would otherwise, in itself, be enough for me to write off vegans as an evolutionary deadend that should be reclassified as not belonging to humanity.

Sanctimoneous loving pricks! even loving treating minorities as being one and the same, and then loving bundling women in there is completely counterproductive to the aim of equality.

Also... Why are Vegans overweight?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Bees are jerks.

I thought they were bulemic?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Ahh.. but see - every time I buy a hardcopy I have to pay freight from the states, then I have to pay 25% added import tax, because of no free-trade agreement with the states. Alternatively I have to buy it in Denmark, where the price for a book is at standard around USD 30-40, alternatively I can buy them in UK, but still at a higher price, and not get as much diversity..

So the kindle is good to me..

But then again - I've been reading poo poo, so perhaps I'm the one losing out.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

I'll buy books for you here in the uk and post them to you. You can pay me via PayPal.

Thanks for the offer :) Most of what I read is more readily available on the kindle though, the main objection I have for the kindle is that there is one price for americans, and another price for danes (bet most of you didn't know that).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

PainBreak posted:

Yeah, it's not that I didn't comprehend so much that it doesn't make sense. The temperature at which you maintain a bechamel, which then becomes a mornay, isn't high enough to "cook" the flour taste out, in my opinion. I saw someone mention "simmering" their sauce. Personally, I'd never take mine to a simmer, but that's because I don't like broken sauces.

Anyway, maybe the real point that was being made is that induction burners boil water in 4 minutes, and that's not enough time to put together a proper mornay.

How do you break a sauce that is based on flour?

I have never experienced that happening!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

yeah, but wouldn't that happen below simmering, and be dependent on adding something acidic?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mediaphage posted:

You could just make an Amazon.com account, and buy your books on that account.

That is what I have, but they're smart enough to check credit card information against the address you provide, meaning that if you're card is danish you get to pay the premium of being a foreigner.

..also - you cannot buy a kindle (or content) in the uk store, you have to buy it in the US store.

Same thing with iTunes, where you can circumvent it, and get to buy in the american store by using gift cards (which can be bought at a 10% premium at eBay), and registering with an american address (I am Voodoo Donuts in Portland).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

There is no issue with customs, I happily pay the 25% for US not being a free trade country - the problem is that Amazon puts on a premium if you're a foreigner...

On the other hand - still cheap as dirt, and why should I bother so much.

Seen in the light of me spending well above USD 800 a year on books I don't want to risk losing them at some point in the future - meaning that I do not want to cheat amazon. (Which reminds me that I have to get USD 150 reimbursed by work that I completely forgot about).

Stupid amazon stuff (it was that or a penis mushroom)

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 19, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mindphlux posted:

I'm not trying to store cooked fresh pasta? are you asking why I rinse it under cool water? if so, I guess I just read somewhere that it was good to stop the cooking process, even if you were immediately serving - but I've also stopped doing that because it makes the pasta so goddamn dense and chewy.

Don't do this!

Yes - I know you've stopped it.. but...

This is also the worst advice I've ever received about pasta (that and 'remember to pour oliveoil over it before serving, or melt butter in it, so you make drat sure that the delicious sauce that you prepared will not stick to it').

Based on that advice my heart was filled with sadness, and I had to eliminate precious friends from my inner circle.

I have a hard time comming across with how bad that advice was...

This is advice that ranks up there with "Cook chicken to pink", "You can use the same board for everything" - this is advice that resembles the state of Rambling Vagrants kitchen when we first saw it.. This is really really bad advice!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 20, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I use Staub which has a glass surface, never had a problem with chipping from too much heat, as I have with le creuset on multiple occations - they retain heat beautifully, they do not ruin the taste of the food, they are durable and good in use too..

I do, of-course, have pure cast-iron too, mainly Skeppshult, which is really good - but I also use Mauviel for pots, and seriously, if I didn't have induction I would have a lot of copper ware from Mauviel instead, the ability to change temperature is crazy good.

Different weapons for different animals I guess...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

So you just pussy out of the enamel discussion..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Rule .303 posted:

I think enameled cast iron is best for bathtubs and those sink/counter combos from the 50's.

Ah - my comment weren't for your post - which was perfectly fine, and didn't hurt the least.

But I think that enamel ware is good for cowboy mugs too! And cowboy coffee pots...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Also - is Rage a good game, because I just bought it, and it is downloading, but my wife wants to have sex tonight, and I am wondering if I should leave her hanging by finishing really fast, and then go play Rage...

Internets: I need your advice!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Think of her as a dating sim

What is a dating sim?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Wait, what's this about Staub and glass? I got a Staub, how's the enamel different?

The black interiour coating is glass based, and won't chip as easily as regular enamel (well - it won't chip at all) - as far as I remember.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Getting to gold at different airlines and hotel chains is some sort of weird real life version of a game with levelling up.. It really speaks to the nerd in you!

The advantages on the other hand (upgrades, and a loving newspaper, and also free stays), are really not worth the investment of time, and leaves you feeling like an empty husk.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

In my case it took two phone calls. I got about 2 free transatlantic trips and 2 return trips to South Africa, so it was well worth it.
If you're travelling a lot it's stupid not to get something for nothing. Just don't make getting the points the point.

I agree completely - however - I still feel like a goddamn idiot whenever I check my different milage and hotel accounts.

I mean - seriously - I interrupt partnerships with vendors at work based on them providing me with free stuff, but when it comes to miles I am a goddamn whore, just lying flat on my stomach with my rear end-cheeks spread wide for the entire world to peruse and take advantage of.

And all of this just to level up once more!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Or the early fjord shrimp caught together with the kids by walking with nets, and then eating in the evening in one big shrimp orgy.

This describes my childhood... (when my uncle didn't get greedy and sold them to Tivoli for around USD 100 per pound for the really early ones - they never talked about child labour back then!)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

This must be an american thing...

Maple syrup is made from maple, otherwise it is illegal to call it maple..
There's blueberries in blueberry cake, otherwise it is illegal to label it to contain blueberries (active misguidance of the consumer - against the law)
etc..

I'm not saying that everything is like that, but drat!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

bartolimu posted:

Like Charleton Heston felt about his guns.

That they can get your foreskin when they pry it from your cold dead hands?

Dude!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Sitting and discussing penile reduction with a friend... That is not a topic that comes up often.

The world is a wonderous place, and the taint is less tainted than the intrawebs leads me to believe.

You people, by the way, rock, in a good way!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

For you? For him? Or for an, eh, friend of a friend?

His, the girth and lenght was hurting the ladies.

We're discussing the reaction to this from the innuit population, while drinking leffe brune, cognac and eating blackfoot ham and goronzola.

Edit: Also discussing plant optimization and the general learnings from deerhunter with regards to this.

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 2, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

The penile reduction is already performed dudes. Come now, there's no sensationalism in this. However, I'm sure that y'all have really bic penises, and I applaud you, mine is quite ordinary..

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 3, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

i shoot friendlies posted:

. We have extraordinary conditions in these United States. Probably more freedom and choice than any other civilization in history. .

This is highly provocative

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I will go do the same in the basement - you have inspired me Dane!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

It is purely cultural.

And you must mean most men in those united states, right?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Ok.. seriously!

Some of the words that are used in English texts are something that you guys clearly are sitting around inventing, while drinking bong-water mixed with vodka, and taking the piss on all the foreigners.

This is exacerbating international tension.

Edit: Websters is written by goddamn adolescent school-boys! gently caress!

Edit2: Some of these words are loving unpronouncable..

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 4, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Hmm.. apparantly using Green Day as a ringtone is frowned upon at work!

Now I have to figure something else out!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Done!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Isn't using the straw man counter argument a straw man argument in itself?

I think my nan used rolled oats for her blood saussage, I remember the taste, it was good, irony, sweet - and I hated it after the second bite.. but the first bite, oh that loving first bite was heaven!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

The cup argument is clearly invalid....

A cup cannot be full of opinions and speculations, it is a cup! It can be filled with air, and then it can be filled with a cup shaped liquid. I think what you're doing is an antropomorphisism. Next thing is that the cutesy cup will dance around and assist in the marriage of perfectly fine young women to hairy beasts.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

congratulations!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

dino. posted:

Your family does this too? I can't bring myself to do it, but every time I see the paper towel in the rubbish bin, mostly unused, I die a little on the inside. Same thing with ziplock bags. If it weren't for the size of my tiny apartment, I'd totally reuse the paper towels and foil and ziplock bags.

Isn't a paper towel like a double wide piece of toilet paper?

How do ou wash those, without disintegrating them?

...and I'm not allowed to have those for my hippie wife, when I have a roll I am a miser with it to the point where people think it weird...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I use cloth for that, I think it may be less expensive, and lower footprint that way (at least that is what my wife has dictated).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I think my wife might be a fascist... I will go confront her!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

NosmoKing posted:

I use lint, old candles, chainsaw sawdust, and cardboard egg cartons as firestarters.

Mix the dry stuff with the candle hunks, melt, smoosh into cartons.

Need to try that - good replacement for sawdust (as I can't really get any of that).

Also...

Just got a new fireplace

I should have replaced the old piece of crap years ago!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

We call that the family portrait.. It's a depiction of 3 insanities, was the wedding present from my parents.