Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Went grocery shopping last night for dinner and they had ramps. They were packaged into 1lb bunches and the price was 15.99/lb. I compulsively picked one up anyways because you know, ramps.

Checked out and was surprised that the bill was less than I expected. Reviewed receipt, got charged $1.47 for a lb of spring onions instead. :smug:

No, I don't feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Paella or cioppino is probably what I'd do.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

therattle posted:

Thank goodness the Awful app has been updated. SO much better than a mobile browser.

Awesome news, thank you for this.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

The worst food poisoning I ever had was in high school while I was spending the night at my good friend's house. Strangely enough, I can't recall actually eating the undercooked chicken that caused it, but I know it was undercooked chicken because I witnessed it coming out the next morning.

Anyway, the thing that really sticks with me is that the morning after I ate that undercooked chicken, I could kind of feel that something wasn't right but I wasn't actually sick yet. My good friend's Dad went out and got warm Krispy Kreme doughnuts for breakfast, and I took one which ended up being lemon filled. I'm not a huge fan of lemon filled doughnuts anyway, but about 10 minutes after I finished that doughnut poo poo started hitting the fan and I was reacquainted with it and everything else that had been in my digestive tract over the course of the past 48 hours.

To this day, just the thought of a warm Krispy Kreme doughnut makes me nauseous. And God, don't even talk about lemon-filled ones.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

My new neighbours are all very nice! They've been helping me carry all the cardboard boxes to recycling, and the man next door keeps offering to lend me his car. So far, everyone seems totally confused by the fact we don't have one, and are cycling and getting the bus everywhere. The reactions seems roughly equally divided between thinking we're just crazy European types, and thinking we're communists.

Floridian lurker chiming in to agree with everyone else. The weather is rough in the summer time and the public transportation is even worse.

You should get a car, and make it a Mini Cooper or a Fiat just to troll your neighbors more.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

This is something I didn't know I wanted and I too would be interested in a discount code! My biggest issue is that I always plan what I'll be making for dinner that night during the day while I'm at work, so I never give myself the opportunity to browse my cookbooks for ideas unless it's the weekend.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Sweet, thanks! Having magazines indexed is also a really good idea. I don't how many times I've bookmarked a recipe in a magazine and then completely forgot about it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

The secret to a great guac is a little bit of crema. My basic guac is avocado, lime, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, crema, salt, a little bit of cumin and a tiny bit cinnamon.

One time I made that Rick Bayless recipe for tequila marinated watermelon guac and people went loving bonkers for it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

SubG posted:

Also fresh veg from the garden.

Huh, I've never tried this before. Is it as simple as just throwing the veg in a bag and vacuum sealing it? Do you usually toss it in the fridge or freezer afterward?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I got a $100 gift card to Sur La Table for my birthday...what should I buy? Also...holy poo poo this store is overpriced.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

A fancy food store owned by a disgusting groper, a racist and a woman who enslaved a house maid.

Well gently caress, when you put it that way...

therattle posted:

Are those all the same person? I didn’t realise the Trump empire extended to foods.

Three different people! Although two are mother and son.

https://ny.eater.com/2017/12/11/16759540/mario-batali-sexual-misconduct-allegations
http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/01/joe-bastianich-racist-sexist-comments-masterchef-video.html
https://nypost.com/2011/08/18/celebrity-chef-lidia-bastianich-enslaved-employee-lawsuit-charges/

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Did I gently caress up the seasoning on this carbon steel wok? I usually do my cast iron seasoning in the oven but couldn't do that with this one due to the wooden handle. In any case, being mostly unfamiliar with carbon steel, does this look normal and will even up as I use it, or did I somehow screw it up and should strip and do it over?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Damnit, I figured. So any tips or tricks for stripping this thing, or do I just go at it with steel wool?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Nm

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Steel wool can leave scratch marks that won't quite get filled in when you re-season. Not worth it imo.

Here's what I would do:
1. Put, empty, on burner on medium for 20 minutes to burn off as much as you can. Hope your vent fans are good.
2. Let cool
3. Easy-Off or other oven-cleaning spray the cook surface, try to avoid the wood. Place in trash bag, preferably outdoors b/c of fumes, for 24 hours
4. Soap & sponge, then dry on burner 5 minutes

They also sell copper wool which doesn't scratch carbon steel or cast iron, which is what I use after rough recipes. I'm still gentle with it, because if your seasoning isn't well polymerized or bonded to the metal you could still flake it off. I found mine in my supermarket cleaning supply aisle.

Good advice, I'll give this a shot.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Aren't you supposed to season it every time you use it anyway, just as part of the cooking process? Get it super hot, season, and then start cooking. Or is that just one specific technique?

It definitely accumulates seasoning as you use it, but as far as I know there's still a bit of initial seasoning you need to do to keep it nonstick and protected from rust.

I think if I wanted to I could probably get away with it the way it is, but I'm a perfectionist and the scratchy parts on the bottom make me nervous, like I didn't get all of the factory oils off or something.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Quote is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I've heard great things about Tony's Chocolonely, but haven't tried it myself. There's an upscale market in my neighborhood that sells their bars...so thanks for the excuse to buy some.