Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Beet greens are hella good. Saute or carmelize some onions and garlics, throw in greens, maybe something savory like Braggs liquid aminos, hoison or soy sauce.

Beets roasted in canola oil :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Cavenagh posted:

I've been adding charred husks and the scraped cobs into stock to make corn chowder. Really adds great depth of flavour. Also infused some charred husks in olive oil for a salad dressing. Corn is wonderful flavours.

Do you steep them and remove like tea or leave them in? My mom's got a bunch of corn kicking around and I was gonna make some chowder this afternoon.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mindphlux posted:

1. no probably not, I'm guessing its burnt oily residue. use steel wool and barkeepers friend, you can try engine degreaser if that doesn't work.

2. again assuming we're talking stainless, use steel wool and barkeepers friend. you'll get the spots up eventually, but they should go away over time as well.

Magic erasers really are magic. I rehabbed an old pot like this.

Anyone else catch "Knife Fight" on the new Esquire network? I'm really enjoying it and Brew Dogs.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2013/10/09/watch-how-atelier-crenn-makes-carrot-jerky-and-egg-sheets-video/

Neat set of videos from Atelier Crenn on some techniques they've been playing with. Gorgeous plating and interesting to watch. I'm excited to see how the other vegetable "jerkys" turn out.

e: no fuckin' surprises on the Michelin list this year, at least in SF.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 23, 2013

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Who's Steve!?!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mediaphage posted:

His husband.

:( Sorry, I don't go into IRC or follow super closely. I always heard the husband referred to as "puppy." I'm sorry Dino. You are a good poster and I like your threads and I'm sure that is very hard. :(

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Sacrilage posted:

I used these guys for Saffron; quality was surprisingly good for the price, but that was last year.

E: holy poo poo they have vanilla too...so much for my vanilla problem

:facepalm:

Sorry, who do you use for saffron and vanilla? My mom's been looking for beans to make some vanilla extract. I couldn't figure out which link/company you were referencing.

Sjurygg posted:

If the Sioux tribes had possessed mechanical engineering two hundred years ago you can bet your rear end they'd be mechanically separating the poo poo out of bison carcasses and treehuggers would be all like "THEY WERE SO WISE AND THRIFTY AND RESPECTED NATURE"

Yeah, this. Never understood that argument for vegetarians. I was even a really strict vegetarian/vegan for almost a decade and always got on the case of people who only ate the pretty parts of the animal... If something is gonna die for you to eat it, you'd better eat it all.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
The menstrual blood cookies are old news guys. There's very little blood in them and she admitted she used food coloring. It's weird but this is the internet, there's always grosser poo poo.

This (http://www.amazon.com/Semenology-The-Semen-Bartenders-Handbook/dp/1482605228) exists though. I own a copy. I feel like its worse than the cookbook one and the blood cookies and I say that as someone that ingests semen on a semi-regular basis.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I'm making stuffing waffles and this for Thanksgiving: http://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000002546865/danny-bowiens-thanksgiving-pastrami-.html

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
...Did you watch them actually slice it? It came out beautifully. Having eaten Danny's food hundreds of times, I can guarantee you it's undoubtedly delicious.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It's not at all weird to mix gin and sparkling.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It's so not at all a big deal? It's been the case here in the Bay for quite a while (multiple years?) and it's pretty cool. Lotsa places have fancy corn plastic bags you can also use. But yeah, either bring your reusable bags (I've used them as long as I can remember because my mom was rad and you used to get these rad canvas tote kind that I love and hoard) or buy the paper/bioplastic one. I kept forgetting for a hot minute when it was easier to BART than drive to the store so I'd "punish" myself by making myself buy a new reusable one each time... I quickly remembered to bring them, or clipped one of the expandable ones to my key ring. EASY PEASY. And much less plastic in the loving ocean.

Pretty sure it's also the case all over Europe.

E: Just remembered it's also the case in Austin, so LA is lagging behind Texas in environmental policy.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Uh, pimento cheese is good as gently caress when you make it right, don't hate.

VVVVVV agree.

gently caress yes pimento cheese get in my mouffffff

Lotsa bars here in SF do pimento cheese bar jar snacks, but Hog & Rocks has the best.

E: El Faro/Favorito as best bay area burrito? Bitch, you crazy. Mission burritos are far superior than San Diego burritos doe, if smaller.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Actually, what the vast majority of people call "burritos" are Mission burritos and originate in San Francisco. They are based on similar regional Mexican food but are not Mexican from Mexico.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_burrito

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Man, I've lived in Oakland for the last 11-12 years and eaten a gently caress ton of BBQ, I have no idea what a goddamn koolaid pickle is and don't think I've seen one? And I love pickles, I eat them at every opportunity.

The best BBQ comes from an oil drum under a tent in an empty lot. Sometimes there are plastic chairs, sometimes there arent. The place painted purple in the dirty thirties with the buzzer and bullet proof glass is A+

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Nah man, I will. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just sayin were running in different West O BBQ circles.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Just follow Chris Cosentino on IG @offalchris to see mouthwatering tripe preparations cross your feed on the daily

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Lol, Bakersfield

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Roast duck heart is good, chicken tartare is better.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah, and it'd be a good job for her, and I'd be able to go back to school full time, and it's better educational opportunities for my boy, and and and...

but I've gotten so used to raising animals, not smogging my cars, and having my dollar stretch really far.

I feel like there is a ton of really good Asian food in that area and most restaurants have "the weird stuff" if you ask. Is there a Ranch 99 in the hood?

This video is really cute, on the subject of weird Asian food:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wFGCr9KsqUA

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Staycation with the boyfriend this weekend... Eating some old favorites and some new joints. Ferry Building farmers market for lunch, (Hapa isn't there on Saturday, boooo) so probably 4505 meats or market food, State Bird Provisions for dinner. Either Alta or Rich Table the other night. I'm gonna sit in a hottub and drink ALLLLLLLL the wine.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ike's is good; initially the ingredients were of higher quality and as they expanded there was a marked decline in quality but they are still pretty dang good.

Did brunch at 15 Romolo (mehhhhh) and snacks at Hog n Rocks, awesome vignerone tasting/meet n greet at Arlequin and dinner at State Bird Provisions... Dinner was incredible, totally lives up to the hype. I'll do an effort post with photos and descriptions tomorrow but now I'm going to go drink a high life in the bath tub with my handsome boyfriend.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ike's subs are $9-15, so not exactly like Subway or something as a celebratory lunch.

I probably have garam masala, cumin and Catalina all in my pantry, but that pizza sounds loving disgusting.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Wait, is oatmeal in sausages not common? I know it's not in every type but I thought it was pretty common? I've seen family/friends make them with like millet and all sorts of grains like that.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Mindphlux - sounds super delicious. Lucky lady.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Please don't feed your children poo poo like boxed Mac and cheese and pretend that it's okay or cheaper to do so because you're tired.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I'll go out on a limb and say that macaroni and cheese shouldn't be the main portion of a meal for children (or anyone) at all, but even without making the argument about future healthcare costs from a childhood of eating nutritionally deficient, carb/fat/empty calorie convenience foods, it's been shown over and over and over that calorie-dense, nutritious meals can be made on the cheap with proper budgeting, cooking what's in season or on sale and developing a pantry of staples.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Cimber posted:

Do you have kids?

How is that at all relevant?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Anyone got a good pie crust recipe/a good write up on pie technique? I use my moms old recipe that's flour/shortening/salt/water but it never rolls out neatly and I'd like to switch to butter . I'm tired of all my tasty pies from my rhubarb plants looking like a retard made them.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Many restaurants don't list prices on the menus on their website because they are subject to change more often than they update the website. It's to avoid people coming in and bickering/being upset because it's different than what they saw on the web. The physical menu they hand you in the restaurant will have the prices listed.

Sounds like that reviewer is probably not a very experience fine-dining diner or did not pay much attention... I have a hard time believing the tap water = 9.50 bottle of water and the wine thing went down exactly like they said, although it's not out of the realm of possibility.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

No Wave posted:

Does anyone have any really good strawberry-rhubarb tart recipes? I figure it's the pie of the moment.

My gran's recipe was always ~2 cups small chopped rhubarb (or parboiled then frozen rhubarb) then top with 1.5 cups sugar, one large egg, 1tbsp butter, sprinkle of nutmeg and ground clove whipped together seperately. I've added strawberries a few times and it worked just fine. If you only use 2 cups rhubarb it is definitely on the sweet side, I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I usually make a larger pie with more rhubarb (my plants are HUGE) and stretch the sugar/egg mix with a bit more butter or some extra egg just to spread it around. Be careful about adding water or milk because rhubarb is deceptively juicy when cooked.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

dino. posted:

Maybe get a kitchen island or w/e until you can put in new counter tops? That way you can blow your budget on that doom vent of yours.

My mom has a big butcher block cutting board on a cart with wheels, it's a great island. Sturdy enough for a few year's use and far more functional than the vast majority of built-in islands I've seen. Look for one of those? Reminds me of the 60's style hostess carts, but for work instead of presentation.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yuuuuup. if you avoid yolks, youre a bad weightlifter.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ummmm, Costco is pretty amazing if you need to buy anything like bleach, dog food, organic salad greens (that huge box,) lightbulbs, booze, wine, beer, coffee beans, canned beans, butter, milk, protein powder, vitamins, prescription glasses. Cigarettes, perfume/cologne, jeans, some cheeses or meats... I bought 14lbs of cherrywood smoked thick cut bacon split into two sealed packs for ~$1 a pound. Walk around, see what they carry, see how much it costs (make a list dummy) and you will know what's a better buy there vs other places.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Going over my most recent costco receipts and recent purchases (granted I live in the magical Bay Area where everything is expensive and yet we grow it all within 70 miles... some things I adjusted to reflect an average price over time)

dog food - 40lb bag of grain free, high end dog food, revolving type of proteins, -$36-39
giant jug of dog treats that are made of solely dehydrated chicken/duck breast (ive eaten them when starving) $17
3lbs of shade grown, organic coffee beans - $15
3lbs of Kerrygold Irish butter - $9
2 2gal jugs of milk - 7.59
Huge box of mixed greens - $3.59, grocery outlet regularly sells half rotten ones for $5 but this lasted 3 weeks.
clorox- three massive jugs - $8.99
the bacon I mentioned before - pennies more than $1 a pound
organic canned black beans and pinto beans - didnt plan to buy 8 cans at a time but for less than .80 a can I bought the 8pack no problem, cheaper than the dollar store.
Protein powder - I regularly get 3lbs for like $15
supplements - I like their fish oil, 8.99 for the biggest loving jug ive ever seen,
laundry static sheets - 7.99 for a massive box that has lasted more than a year and smells great
american cheese (gently caress you, sometimes I'm drunk so I like to keep some in the freezer for grilled sammies) - 5lbs for $17
most other cheeses and meats are cheaper elsewhere, like frozen chicken breasts/thighs or feta, but cheaper than the gas to drive elsewhere sometimes if Im already taking the car out.

once I found my burbury perfume for $25, that was nice. I guess some people really like the shampoo and poo poo there but I usually buy the hippie poo poo without salt in it at the Grocery Outlet.

booze can be hit or miss, I usually just buy off work so i pay wholesale but have bought the kirkland brand (grey goose, macallan, etc bottled under generic label) for retarded cheap in the past.

I got a glasses prescription for about $60 (had to be dialated) and then took it to coastal.com and got two pairs of designer glasses for $99, so I guess thats a win.

Oh poo poo, once I bought tires an a car battery there, it was cheaper than walmart and they replaced the battery four years later for no charge (and gave me a $6 refund???) because.... something. I dunno, I gave them my phone number when they asked and somehow they owed it to me?

Basically, costco fuckin rules. between there and the grocery outlet and the mexican market, I live reallllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy high on the hog for real little money. Worst comes to worst, split it with a friend. Oh yeah, and their gas is the same price as an Arco here, so whichever is closer - IM GOLDEN.

E: forgot clothes. Sometimes I find the exact size I wear in levis or calvin kline pants and I wear those for work. They are $15-20 at Costco when they have them and $80+ at the Levis store. I bought a cute cardigan for work there once too.

Edit #2 I am that crazy broad who keeps track of the prices of this poo poo and these are all the things that I buy at costco exactly because they are cheaper than the dollar store/grocery outlet/farmers market/farm. I keep lists of what I need from where so I can make big trips and stock up, but both my ex husband and my current boyfriend the chef comment on what nice things I buy for being frugal... I always cringe when I see the Duggars throw 30 cans of slop together and call that "frugal." Eat foie on a $200 a month food budget because you economized elsewhere is what I fuckin say.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 17, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Scientastic posted:

Hahaha, you Americans and your dietary supplements. Why do so many of you buy poo poo you don't need?

I like lifting weights and do so 5x a week so I take fish oil and potassium and use protein powder. Doesn't seem weird/unnecessary to me.

Oh, and lysine sometimes if I'm worried about a cold sore popping up.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Potassium counterbalances the buildup of lactic acid in muscle tissue that causes the sore/burning sensation/DOMS. It lessens my discomfort at work after working out strenuously.

Lysine does assist either in helping prevent or lessen herpes simplex 1 outbreaks, better absorb calcium and lose less calcium in urine. Cold sores hurt and I have to interact with the public at work, I like avoiding them. Many women in my family have osteoporosis so I like to watch my calcium. Athletes are one of the groups that may be short in lysine and need to supplement it.

I get where you're coming from and I do eat nutritiously, I love vegetables and they make up most of my diet. I'm irked by pseudoscience and get soooo tired of endless fitness supplement shills. Both of those have legit science behind them on top of being very effective in my experience.

Sorry for the derail y'all.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Scientastic posted:

Got any peer-reviewed data to back that up? Because I can't find anything on Pubmed about lysine supplementation helping the immune system.

It's not something I've ever heard of before, either, and my wife suffers cold-sores occasionally. If it were legit, you'd have thought it would have crossed the pond by now.

I originally heard about it from a chemistry teacher, something about counterbalancing l-arginine. Here's an article from NYU that links a lot of studies, some studies seem to support it's use in treating herpes simplex, others say it had no effect. http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21791 Works very well for me, as well as some other people I've recommended it to.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/406943_5
http://www.livescience.com/34715-cold-sores-symptoms-treatments-and-prevention.html

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Vegetable Melange posted:

Trip Report: Apps at Per Se.

"gently caress me."

That said, there sure were a lot of quotation marks on that menu. Ramp "aglinotti". Saffron-poached Halibut in a green garlic sauce with "something else, I forget". Roasted carrot salad was the only thing that didn't have quotes around it, and they were all goddamn fantastic. Impossibly wonderful service, even though we were just kicking it in the parlor. Having an after dinner drink looking out over Central Park was pretty rad, also.

Very nice. My boyfriend was a chef there once upon a time and I'm mad I didn't know him then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Is it really so hard to buy a bag of tortillas? I buy the ones from the tortilla factory across town or the ones a grandma makes in the Mexican grocery store around the corner and keep them in my fridge. They last for months. I throw it on a griddle with a little spritz of oil and boom! Delicious tortillas.