Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Nonsense, butter is dairy and therefore full of calcium. Its practically a health food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

I made one recently and I don't think I'll ever go back to vodka (unless im at a restaurant or w/e).

If the restaurant won't put gin in your BM instead of vodka just leave. The eggs are likely to be terrible.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Or those godforsaken banana Runts.

What is this heretical poo poo? Banana runts are the best runts.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Banana runts taste like the flavor you'd get if you tried to describe the flavor of bananas to somebody with anosmia and no tongue and told them to synthesize it.

I never said it tasted like a banana, I just said it was delicious. :colbert:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Fo3 posted:

If you're posting, you don't have depression based on personal experience - well not bad deep down as bad as it goes kind. But that's a good thing!
All this happened after you posted in AI didn't it?
Show the detective where the nasty AI touched you. :notfunny:

gently caress you, I'm practically catatonically depressed, and I can still post. Don't tell Dino what depression is. I'm just a lurker but he's great people, no one needs you telling them exactly how their mental/emotional state is *supposed* to play out. I know the threads just decided to ignore you and pass by your post for the most part, but as a severely depressed person your post really pissed me off.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I've been broke as poo poo the last week or two, (gently caress lent) and made Dino's lemon rice last night because pretty much all that's in the fridge are lemons, and holy crap its the most amazing thing. I tried a bite and was ambivalent at first and then 15 min later I was almost done with my second bowl. So thanks Dino, that saved my evening!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

I've known a few restaurateurs who were paranoid about sharing their recipes. They're all out of business now.

The owner at our place won't even put his menu online because he thinks people are going to steal it somehow. We're trying to get his wife to cancel the history channel on their cable so he stops watching the conspiracy theory shows.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Great link:

All The Comments on Every Recipe Blog

My favorite:

Yet again, the line between parody and reality is distressingly blurry.

All its missing is the word "hubby" and it'd be a perfect list.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

toe knee hand posted:

All this talk about onions, and nothing about OMG MY EYES ARE BURNING? I've tried all the tricks, they don't work...

I like onions as long as they're cooked, and cook with them occasionally when I feel they're really vital to the dish, but I don't throw them in everything because of the burning, and the stinging, and the crying.

Honestly, screw your eyes up and get contacts. I can chop onions all day so long as I'm not wearing glasses.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Vegetable Melange posted:

Side note, grilling iceberg lettuce is hard.

e: Also, why is every recipe for white rice I've ever seen volumetric? Even the ones that measure the weight of the rice in grams go on to have silly bits like "put 2.5 cm of water in the pan" well you don't know my diameter, do you science gently caress? Small portions of good rice are my bete noir and I figured I'd work on it for dinner tonight.

Put the rice in the cooker and put your finger on top of the rice like you're going to poke it. When the water hits your first knuckle you have the right amount of water.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I drink a lot, but my fingers have yet to change lengths as a result.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

If you're going the knuckle route, I'd recommend that you use the same cooker at roughly the same elevation for awhile and then you'll through trial and error figure out where exactly on your knuckle on that cooker gives you the magical sexual expression of rice potential that you've been dreaming of. Until then the only constants you have are the cooker and your knuckle. Decent rice will always occur with this rule, but if you want to reach super saiyann mach 3 you have to look into the minutiae

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The music made me lose it. That poor man.

edit: I restarted his rice-a-roni vid 3 times because I couldn't believe that poor sad man opened with "Hello Wildcats"

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 26, 2014

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I can't tell if the holiday thread is trolling me about stuffing or not. The three responses were boxed, croutons in a bag, and jiffy cornbread.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Cutting a loaf of bread into cubes and toasting it is hardly a dent in the holiday bustle considering you can do it the day before (or even lazier just cube and leave the bread out to get stale and dry!).

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I take it back then, all hail Jiffy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

People who come into an obviously closing restaurant to have a quick drink at the bar for an hour should be shot.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Halve and fill with butter and maybe some brown sugar and roast it. Poke the flesh with a fork so it seeps in. Use the halves as personal sized fondue bowls.

You could also slice it, roast it with some curry powder and olive oil and dip it in greek yogurt.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I don't understand what they mean by "it disappears" after 30 min. Does it reliquify? Do angels come down and take it back up to heaven?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

ascendance posted:

Ok, I need some rice pudding advice.

I currently have jasmine rice on hand, and calrose. Which should I use for rice pudding? I am not happy with the results from the jasmine, but I think that just may be because it's not cooked for long enough. I can still feel, taste, and see individual grains of rice. I guess my wife got impatient, and took it off simmer so she could get some dessert.

So what you're saying is that she made rice pudding? If you don't want rice in it you should make something else. That said my grandmother's amazing recipe used med grain, but I'd guess the extra starch from calrose might overthicken it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Happy valentines gws. I spent over 65% of the last 48 hours at work, but I did get a nice bottle of bubbly, chocolate covered strawberries and some ridiculously fancy cake as a bonus.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

I don't mind fancy-shaped plates, as long as they are plates. Even mid-tier restaurants have funky shaped plates now.

Speaking of mid-tier restaurants, is there some kind of weird trend with not giving people water by default anymore? Its driving me crazy the amount of places I'm going where apparently that's just not a thing they do.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Republicans posted:

Are they at least asking if you want anything to drink as you are being seated?

Yeah, but if I get something like a cocktail, I kind of expect a glass of water. "No thank you, I'm just going to stick to margaritas. Water's just a mixer."

Also campari is delicious as hell.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

No I'm in a state with plenty of water. I just remember a few years ago it was such a standard thing anywhere you went.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Look, its not that we're saying that chocolate martinis or whatever it is you drink are bad

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Campari/Soda is the most perfect apertif, and will settle any stomach upset by the insane driving you had to do to make your reservation time in Chicago traffic.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Well its winning in price per pound at least.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So assuming I have largish second degree burns on my inner arm from 400 degree + chicken grease, is the general consensus to give them a few hours of air a day and keep changing the bandages? Or is air bad? The chefs I work with are telling me to pop the blisters, but I think they're small enough that it would only invite infection. I'm keeping up on the neosporin and bandage changing, any other burn times you guys have to share? Ideally I'd like this not to scar as I'm a very fancy princess.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Dimloep posted:

Or on your ankle. The month or so that burn took to heal was rough. That ointment with silver or whatever in it is brilliant, though it didn't prevent scarring.

Yeah, I'm super glad I got it where I did, and its healing really well. I'm sad to hear the ointment didn't prevent scarring, but I think with as deep as this is there's not much that would. On the bonus side, it looks like a kickass fireball.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Didn't you also cater that yourself or something equally insane?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm not saying the website couldn't have made it clearer, but I can't image seeing 11/2 cups and thinking "obviously they want 5 and a half cups of whatever".

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Scientastic posted:

When I Ducasse my steaks to a rich well-done greyness, I measure out the tablespoons of butter by squeezing them out of my foreskin onto a screaming hot non-stick pan. Then I serve the steak with mashed, unpeeled sweet potatoes. As I eat it, I think, "that's one hell of a sandwich"

Thank you for getting me through my double because I kept giggling about this.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

My bread failed to get a second rise and I decided after 45 min of waiting for the yeast to show some sign of life I'd just try baking it anyways. Any ideas on what to do with super dense flatbread? :smithicide:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The cereal ants we got were incredibly tiny and tan so you'd be at least a few bites in before you noticed anything was amiss. Looking back at it I should reexamine my aversion to bug eating. Not like I haven't had plenty of the crunchy little bastards already.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I don't know about your grocery stores, but mine is fully stocked on anything that isn't meat. Like zero chicken anywhere and only weird/expensive cuts of beef. They do however have tons of cornish game hens! $4/per where I am, don't forget about these happy little fellas in your quest to feed yourself.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I was thinking about making a potato galette but all the recipes involve flipping the whole mess over, which, sure, put a cutting board on top and flip the pan, but cast iron skillets are really heavy and I have noodle arms. Probably going to try it anyway. Maybe team sport it and see if me and the husband can't manage to both drop the potatoes and the skillet causing terrible burns that neither of us ever really forgives the other for.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Sadly it went very well. My evil mother suggested a very sensible way to get it done and the worst thing that happened was some butter spilled onto the stove. Didn't even graze anyone.

my mother is very sweet and wants to spend her time recuperating from the covid talking about food, wine, opera, and anything but her illness because that's all anyone's asked her about for a week

edit: terrible snipe, have someone else's fail

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Weird question, back in the day someone made a caprese salad martini for an iron chef here, does anyone remember which one it was, balsamic maybe?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I have a kinda crappy loaf of homemade bread and my first thought was to make stuffing. Now I know that normally stuffing goes IN the chicken, but I have some thighs that need using up soon and I was pondering just putting the chicken directly in the stuffing like some kind of mad scientist. If I chopped it and mixed it in do you think the general stuffing baking time would be enough to cook the chicken? Is this crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah cooking the chicken first prob a good idea. I was doing so good the first week and a half of this quarantine bullshit. Keeping on top of dishes, making interesting new things, having a healthy meal plan for the week, all sorts of home projects that had been put off, and the last week has been nothing. I want to just order pizza and give up but I did that yesterday. Guess I'll have some coffee and.........just sit around about it.