Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Obnoxious douchebags occasionally have correct opinions.

Or at least relay them based on audience suggestion.

I've got a local Mediterranean place with a big DDD thing on the wall and a rainbow spraypainted Guy face outline thing. They're a good place. Great cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
After going over to Addison to eat at Buttons last Saturday, I'm hoping to get out there for the Sunday Gospel Jazz Brunch sometime. It was some tasty food and that's gotta be an experience.

BBQ-wise, generally the best in the area is acknowledged to be Pecan Lodge, now over in Deep Ellum. Lockhart Smokehouse in either Plano or the Bishop Arts neighborhood in Dallas are also pretty good. Meshack's in Garland does not have destination worthy brisket, but their ribs are absolutely amazing. To swing a bit more upscale than the above options (especially the literal shack that is Meshack's), Smoke in Dallas does some in house sausages, some fancified BBQ, delicacies like Pimento Cheese Croquettes and a great brunch as well.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I ate so many peaches from the farmers market this year. It was great.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

bunnielab posted:

Yo I'm going to be in Austin next week and want to eat all the bbq. I think my gig is out by the racetrack? I don't have a car but will Uber for good brisket. B

Franklin's, Freedman's, la BBQ, John Mueller, Stiles Switch, Mickelthwait Craft Meats.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

It's super fun, everyone is nice, and I want their appliances

I like that they draw what everything ought to wind up looking like. I feel like the male judge is a dbag though.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

The guy can be a d-bag, true.
Yes, but he can tell the microwave degraded the proteins in proofing bread by sight!

quote:

I'm more annoyed by the quirky bespectacled hostess, her schtick gets old quick. There was one moment where she was running around the tent with a mousse and refusing to give it back and it became very uncomfortable after a bit, everyone else was so composed and busy and she was mucking about.
She gets way too into finding silly ways to say bake. I'd assumed the mousse was leftover, but yeah, it was a bit odd. I thought some of the shots of the announcer ladies helping contestants take things out of pans or whatever were interesting. Quite a change from so many cooking contests that seem to want the contestants to fail.

quote:

I'm also a huge fan of Mary Berry's Violet Crawley quality, where she's spent so long acting like she's hiding her true feelings that it's become very obvious. Watching her taste a dry sponge cake is the picture of Britain to me. "Oh, it's a bit dry." Yeah, I could tell by the way you twisted your face and smacked your lips a poo poo-ton while feigning detached scrutiny.

Yeah, definitely like Mary.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Marta Velasquez posted:

Maybe that's all Puckeries? No one I knew ever liked the one in Hoboken, NJ before it closed down. It was in a goldmine location, too.

I went to 560 in Dallas here a few years ago and enjoyed it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I would eat those cookies.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Nooner posted:

I ran out of propane in the middle of grilling and now I'm having to finish steaks and peppers on my cast iron and have no way to grill my romaine hearts and the corn is waiting for water to boil someone just kill me now :cripes:

Throw corn in husks into a very hot oven for like 40 minutes. Then shuck, butter, and salt.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

That Works posted:

I had a good breakfast taco once that was basically homefries with some really good refried beans and cheddar. Came out pretty well in the end.

Yeah, the potato class of breakfast tacos is woefully under appreciated.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

MrSlam posted:

gently caress mealy apples! Son of a bitch!

Why is red delicious such a loving gamble?

It's misnamed. Don't eat Red Delicious.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'd go for mild olives. Something like cerignola or mantequilla. They're delicious and somewhat less assertive than many other varieties.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Eat all the ham.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

SubG posted:

Lipton's soup mix. Not that it would necessarily taste the worst or have the worst mouthfeel or whatever, but in that it is the quintessential illustration of the ~*one weird trick*~ fallacy that characterises so much bad cooking advice.

Like I can get behind the "one weird trick fallacy" but it's really just onions, salt, and MSG. Individually, those aren't bad burger adds.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Did taco bell invent the choco taco?

3rd party product sold by Taco Bell I believe. There used to be a gas station around here that had them in the ice cream display.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They're made by Breyers.

My favorite part of the Choco Taco wiki article: Serving temperature Cold

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

The real Burrito Authenticity Question should be whether the burrito gets salsa over the whole thing before rolling or applied a la minute between bites.

the second one is the only correct answer

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Is all goat bony? I love it, but I've never had it prepared in a way that wasn't full of little bones.

Disclaimer: the only cuisines from which I've had goat are Indian and Ethiopian. I've never cooked it (or even seen it available for sale) myself.

There's at least one Indian place here that does a boneless goat curry. I don't know if they're picking a different muscle or deboning it or what. The halal butcher seems to only sell bony cubes though.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Made these yesterday and it was quick to assemble and came out pretty tasty. I'm counting that as a win.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

cats_are_obligate_carnivores.txt

Coconuts have meat.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I like buckwheat. Either regular or the roasted one.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Kenji reviewed those 2 and a Roccbox not too long ago.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Scientastic posted:

Spicing up the old love life, eh?

From a quick googling it's like this but with shoestring potatoes.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I used black raspberries. It tasted fine, but I burnt it. The recipe said 45-50 minutes @ 375. I checked it at 45 on the nose and it was slightly burnt on the bottom. Also except for a few spots here and there the dough was all brown.

It could be one of a few things. Maybe I burnt the melted butter a bit? Baking soda? Maybe my over burns hot? Either way next time I'm going to check it at 40 minutes. This was my first attempt at baking. Like, ever other than box brownies.

EDIT: Also I cooked it on the bottom rack instead of the top rack if that matters.

Possibly the baking soda. More alkali things brown faster. I'd wager a combo of that and cooking on the bottom rack.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

This is how I enjoy all of my "sandwiches" that might suffer from over-stuffing. Add all ingredients to a plate, take bites in correct proportions. If you want to be fancy, cube up your bread and call it a salad. Whatever you do, don't call it deconstructed unless you have a pencil mustache.

It's a meatball panzanella!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

iospace posted:

Found this one: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-scones-recipe

As for taste, they were good, and they are sticking together surprisingly enough.

I'm kinda in love with the cream scones with chocolate recipe from Serious Eats. I'm not sure about authenticity, but they're easy and delicious.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ug, WHY would you do that indoors?

So your house smells like a taqueria? It's like Scentsy if you got a buncha lard as an end result.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Perché non entrambi?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

mich posted:

It's a Southern thing too. When my first non-cherry tomato is ready each season, the first thing I do is bake a loaf of fluffy white bread so I can tomato mayo sandwich. I usually just use Duke's mayo

Sad story from this season: we lost a number of our tomatoes waiting for them to ripen, and then realized we had planted a variety that are green. Tomato mayo sandwich happened much later than it could have as a result. gently caress.

What sort of tomatoes?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nitrates in root veg (and other veg) can cause the beef to maintain a pink color inside. Onions are high in nitrates.

Celery too, that's why you see celery juice in "nitrate free" meats.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

Former coworker suggested I cook ugali. She said she'd ask her mother fr the recipe but never did. Anyone here ever made some? She's Tanzanian, if it matters.

I've got some okra from the market, so stew with it would be sweet.

I ate some ugali in Kenya, and assuming you just mean the mass of starch itself, I'm not sure it's ever something I'd really make. Maybe it's regional difference or something, but it was pretty much just a big lump of starch for scooping up bits of food or soaking up broth/gravy. As an accompanying staple starch, it wasn't something I'd ever recommend over rice or grits or naan or something of the sort.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

these make amazing lacto pickles. you can then mince them up and stir fry with shittons of minced fermented chili, garlic, ginger, and pork mince for a ripyourfaceoff spicy hunan dish.

https://thewoksoflife.com/2018/01/chinese-pickled-long-beans-pork/

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Recipe-Mama-Ji-s-Pickled-Long-Beans-With-11139503.php

Entirely different prep, but every summer, I do long beans braised with tomatoes from Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/braised-long-beans-tomato-garlic-recipe.html

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Croatoan posted:

I’m watching Jamie Oliver on Jamie’s 15 minute meals from the UK. The British are super bad at making Mexican food. He’s making chili con carne and the recipe is atrocious. He just described corn tortillas as “basically corn on the cob that’s been milled and dried flat”. While I suppose that is technically true it’s just a really weird way to describe corn tortillas. Like, are they really that an unusual ingredient that you guys have to describe them to each other? Also the base of his chili is chickpeas and bell peppers. The amount of cumin he used was just a pinch. Salt and pepper are literally the major seasonings he’s using.
He just finished it with brown rice. There was all of 1/2 red chili in this chili. WTF you people should be ashamed of yourselves. British Empire my rear end.

I mean, he forgot nixtamalization which means any Brits following that recipe will wind up with pellagra.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Realistically, I'd eat just about anything with those fried onions on top.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Just in case anyone was unaware, Lebanon Bologna is basically god tier lunch meat.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Most Martha Stewart recipes I've tried are pretty drat good.

We make this one a lot https://www.marthastewart.com/339889/cod-with-leeks-and-tomatoes

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I can't stop making french bread but i'm not very creative so I keep making sandwhiches for dinner. Need to think of other french bread things to do.

French bread pizza.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Part of it is definitely finding 3 or 4 different ways to say No Baggy Pants. Because we know who wears baggy pants.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

I remember reading an amazing thread where a goon bought a chocolate processor cheap from an auction site and detailed making chocolate from the pods. Anyone got a link?

Thanks Theobroma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

sweat poteto posted:

Did you spread it on thick like peanut butter? Also vegemite is similar but a bit more mellow (and also better in every way fight me).

I have Vegemite and quite enjoy it. I find hard to like stir into a soup or something. Is marmite less viscous?