Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I moved to San Jose in August and slept through the earthquake yesterday. It was pretty minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Long time lurker here, but I needed to share today's recipe comment hilarity:

"The monkfish tasted nothing like lobster and it was tough - even after 45 minutes in my oven!"

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mock-lobster/reviews.aspx?page=1

I liked this one:

quote:

This was pretty good.I used Alaskan Pollock. I didn't have butter,so I substituted olive oil and butter flavoring.My husband doesn't like alot of pepper, so I omitted it. Baked for 20 min.I'd make this again,definitely.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My most used knife is a Shun so knife snobs and people who don't care about knives both hate me.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

See? Look at what these knives are doing to us.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

bunnielab posted:

So today is day 1 of a 161 day gig. So far I haven't even seen a BBQ place. Charlotte is really letting me down.

I also need new luggage, my current big rear end suitcase got all hosed up and may not last many more trips. I need something that will hold a two weeks of clothing, a laptop, boots, and a small pile of tools. I will not be flying that often but I would rather have something that will last a few years.

We always fly with hand tools in a Pelican case.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Not that the posted pork shoulder looks good, but the smoke ring won't form in an electric smoker. It's a byproduct of combustion in a charcoal smoker.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm pretty sure that there is still combustion resulting in smoke in an electric smoker.

But not as much. If you google "smoke ring electric smoker" plenty of people get nice bark but no smoke ring.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Phummus posted:

Morning, kids. Here's the latest..

I lost my stepdad to brain cancer, so an abscess over a tumor sounds like a decent outcome given the options. Hope your little guy pulls through.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Actually it works fine. For every shot of grain alcohol I drink I just take a shot of water, boom no hangover.

Serious, try it out.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I dunno, have you ever used a common condiment while swearing?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Phummus posted:

Man, some people are really livin' the dream:

I live in San Jose and didn't know what Johnny Garlic's was so I Yelped it.

quote:

I ordered the Volcano Chicken and my girlfriend had the Penne Pesto with Vegetable. The Volcano Chicken IS MY CUP OF TEA. Those breast were so good and tender, so good in my mouth with an excellent kick of spice with it. Its grilled and comes with some bomb rear end mashed potatoes. I would recommend this item to any one who comes and visits this place.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The symptoms and sensitivity is different for everyone.

I don't doubt that a lot of morons are going gluten free for another fad diet but people are actually severely allergic to it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like reading TripAdvisor reviews of nice restaurants.

quote:

On asking for a glass of wine on arrival, the waiter begin to verbally list the wines by the glass, I then asked for a wine menu but the waiter would not provide one, and instead re-listed the 3-4 white wines on offer. Assuming this was all that was available, I asked for the chardonnay, and had 2 glasses over the course of the meal. It was not until we recieved the bill that we realised we had been charged $50

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

NosmoKing posted:

Come on, $25 is a bit spendy for a glass of wine. I know some bottles would totally command that sort of price or more, but I'd at least like a rough idea of what I'm spending when I'm out. .

The restaurant is Dune, which is located at Atlantis. $25 for a glass of wine isn't out of line with the price of everything there.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I don't even know what a can of lunch meat is. Thankfully this lady was kind enough to explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx7oy4krOdc

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wroughtirony posted:

Just shred the gruyere (or other harder cheese) first. Good breading technique will help keep the balls from exploding.

I'd make a cheese sauce with sodium citrate and carrageenan, to be honest.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wroughtirony posted:

Well aren't you just special!! *cheek pinch* ;)

It'd let you stuff a risotto cake with gooey Parmesan.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd feel like garbage if people gave me wedding gifts and I served them catered wedding food and no booze.

If you can't afford a top shelf open bar no biggie, I went to plenty of nice weddings where it was a pig roast and a keg of beer. That works. No booze? Only a cash bar? That's awful.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think the basics of a successful wedding are to consider that you'll have guests. Though the day is about you nobody wants to sit through two hours of video about both of you growing up.

People want to support you but mostly they want to dance and drink and be merry.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux: Alinea reservations for August just went on sale.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

damnit why isn't my change detection thing working

I don't see anything for sept or oct, hopefully they just aren't on sale yet.

left another voicemail :I

Oh, you needed Sept. or August. The tweet from Grant Achatz said "August" so I guess you need to wait a month.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Here is the one true BBQ Sauce:

And if you need those ingredients ForTheGourmet.com will give you 25% off your order with this code until August 15: TheFoodLabSentMe

Mods: I don't make any money from them, I'm not affiliated with them, just passing on a deal. I bought a molecular gastronomy kit from them a year or so ago.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

"I can't roll all of this rice up. This is nonsense."

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

"I'm allergic to MSG."

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Joe Beef in Montreal is supposed to be pretty good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Boston has Anna's, you can argue about authenticity compared to stuff in SoCal but it's well above the "worth trying out once" bar.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Semisponge posted:

I just make my own tonic. :smug:

Can you elaborate? I'm interested.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/

I've done it - I still like schweppes better. It's like making your own "coke" - yeah, I mean the stuff you make yourself tastes pretty good, and yeah it's a 'cola', but it's not coke. This is how I feel about tanqueray and schweppes. tall. with a spritz of lime. and plenty of ice.

I can't find the cinchona bark anywhere so I was hoping semisponge's method used something else or had a description of where to get said bark.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh, cool! Someone "anonomously" mailed me a Chick Tract today! I must have been noticed about town!

You should send these out: http://rearadmirals.org/2012/the-locusts-jack-chick-tract/

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ZxBubWvWk

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You forgot to add "organic, cruelty free, artisanal" before all of those.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Not sayin' it's bad, it's just silly that it's as expensive as it is.

It's like $3/lb on the East Coast. It spoils quickly and has to be shipped live in water which is heavy, was my understanding.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 12, 2012

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Same thing in Maine, indentured servants would write into their contracts that they wouldn't be served lobster more than twice a week.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

is it cheesy to propose in a restaurant

I called the restaurant in advance and asked for a private table.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Being married is worth it for the tax breaks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

dino. posted:

Man, if we could only get tax breaks.

Sorry man, since I'm not a monster I wish you could get tax breaks and recognition too. :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mediaphage posted:

Hi friends! Today is my birthday. My significant other got me this! He did pretty good, right?

Got my copy today too, I read about half of it, it's really great.

If you have a puddle machine and one of those molecular gastronomy starter kits you can make pretty much everything in the book, plus if you own the original set the At Home book references back to it for a lot of stuff which is cool.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

the ring I was having designed is finished. they appraised it and HOLY gently caress I won the lottery

Just so you know ring and diamond appraisal is almost totally horseshit.

I bought my ring from a jewelry store which came with an appraisal for three times its value.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Insurance. Also, holy hell at that price tag.

Yes, insurance companies just pay out twice the market rate for things all the time.

Your insurance company is absolutely not giving you the appraised value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The expensive version isn't really meant for casual home cooks.