Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Helith posted:

While making a soup last night with fresh cardamon in it, I came to the conclusion that cardamon is my favourite spice by far. The smell of it as you break open the pods then grind the seeds and the flavour it brings to food is just delightful.

I've been adding cardamon to my coffee when I grind it and it adds a really nice flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Raptor1033 posted:

Making my first ever angel food cake. Whoops forgot the vanilla but it's already in the oven! Whatever, that's what the whipped cream and berries are for! :pram:

How'd it come out? Good angel food cake is one of my favorites, that texture is like nothing else!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what temp water did you add? it makes a difference

What temp to you shoot for? Or what are the differences if you use hot or cold water?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I mean I love gin, but I totally can see why some people don't like the juniper forward stuff.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I feel like a crazy person right now. I tried again to make ricotta gnocchi and again it seemed to require like twice/thrice the listed amount of flour to get something that can be rolled out. I tried this time to keep it closer to the ration, but then it stuck to my hands and wouldn't really form a rollable dough, then with a little more flour in the dough I essentially had to coat the log in flour as I was rolling it to get something that held it's shape and didn't stick to the board. Does anyone have any tips or magic tricks to get them to work better?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

prayer group posted:

Did you press the water out of the ricotta?

. . . that's a great point and I didn't, the recipes I was working off of didn't but I should have thought of that.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

bartolimu posted:

It's 110 degrees here and I just grilled a bunch of chiles (pasilla, jalapeno, serrano, anaheim), tomatillos, tomatoes, and onions. Tonight is pork tongue mole tostadas with lard-refried beans, three fresh salsas, and chile relleno casserole. But for now, I'm sitting down and drinking ice water because holy gently caress does grilling over a 700-degree grill suck in this weather.

Do you boil the tongue ahead of time and peel it?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I have a compressor model, the one thing is to let it run a bit before adding the cream mixture as you want the canister pre cooled.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Kugel can be pretty sweet and I've had it for dessert before, that's a noodle dish.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Enfys posted:

That's interesting. I was told at some point in my life that the seeds of a chilli are the spiciest part, and I've always just accepted this. I didn't realise they could add bitterness as well.

I think the spiciest parts are the membranes around the seeds, but if you get rid of the seeds you get rid of those ribs.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What's with the advice to only crack eggs on a flat surface lest there be shell contamination? They say this then have the yolk/white over their fingers that were just touching the egg and the white seems to ooze a little over the shell regardless. Is there any actual evidence here that it's a legit tip?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Onions I've had success long term in the back of a dark cupboard. Essentially do your best to imitate a root cellar and there's a lot of things that can store for longer than you think.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So what's the deal with a bunch of recipes that call from bringing the bird to room temp before cooking? Whenever I've seen it declaimed, there's never a reason behind it, just you gotta do this. Wouldn't it take a while for a bird the size of a turkey to come to room temp in a ~68 degree house? Is there any real advantage to having done so in terms of better skin, juicier meat? I've never done so, and I don't know if my family ever has, so I can't directly point to an experience where I've been able to compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah that was my thought BrianBoitano, I was just curious if there was an UR source for the idea or if there were benefits, thanks for that link.