Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ground fleur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

sewage cheese at the pseudo-farmer's market in Columbus. I tried it one day and it was just...ugh :gonk:. It tasted like sewage smells, I forget what it was called though.

Also ground fleur de sel, phlux. :colbert:

yep that was the joke

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Toast posted:

Agreed with the lavender, I don't understand it... it isn't a nice dessert flavour. Even when it's done really well it's still not great and I just thinking about all the different more awesome flavours you could have used instead.

I gotta disagree with this too. the first restaurant I worked in made an asian pear sorbet which I got stuck in charge of. it had star anise and some mint and lavender pearls, and it was absolutely stellar. I still make it every now and again because it's just that good - and try and find other places to use it (cold smoking works well) to highlight its light floral-y ness.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Okay, this is a set of menus from restaurants/hotels/steamboats in the 1800s, and it rules rules rules:

http://digital.lib.uh.edu/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=%2Fp15195coll34

They loving love boiled meat though:

this is literally the coolest loving thing

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
re: meeting new people - do hobby things!

take up pottery, learn a language, join a bowling league, enroll to teach cooking classes at a local shop/place, start a book club, start a cooking blog (though I guess you might have one), join a professional association, become a master sommelier, blah blah. you'll meet tons of people, and it's pretty easy to transition from seeing them once a week for a hobby thing to being like 'hey wanna grab a drink after this?'

everyone has been in that sort of situation - it really sucks, but there are so many things you can get out and do if you're missing out on a bit of socialization.

church isn't one of them don't do that

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 14, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I guess I'm making some dessert for a girl soon. I want to do a tea flavored cheesecake. Anyone have thoughts on this. My initial plan was just going to be 'brew a couple tablespoons of ultra strong Green tea, and hope the water doesn't mess up the cake.

Also if anyone just knows of an ultra good cheesecake recipe, that would be welcome. I've lost the one I used last, and was just gonna google tomorrow...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

- I can't touch peach skin. Even thinking about it makes the hairs on my arms stand up.

:siren: a goons feelings on oral sex spotted :siren:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Macaroni posted:

Broccoli is wonderful and requires no apologies. Unless it's overcooked and brown, then it only requires a funeral.

are you even kidding? this is pretty much the only way I cook broccoli - tossed with salt pepper + olive oil, and roasted in the oven at 425. toss a couple times until browned and a little crispy.

it's amazing.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
has anyone ever tried to make the steam bun things that are popping up in restaurants here and there? I think momofuku was one of the first classy joints I heard of that had them - inevitably they are 2 bite size and filled with a slice of pork belly

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also : dino - tell me about mustard oil

I bought some a couple weeks ago, because my indian home cooking book suggested it was the only way to get a good tasting vindaloo. (a dish I have never been able to nail to my satisfaction). haven't tried to use it in anything yet...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, I made them for my ICSA: effort entry. They're not hard, but they're hella cheap and easy to get at chinese bakeries, so I never make them.

Oh yeah, I knew I had seen them recently on here! Good entry, by the way.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
every time I read this thread title, I read it as 'new thread putrification time'

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to boston in a couple months. is there like one place I shouldn't miss? or anyone doing anything crazy on the high end? I'll be downtown.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

How do you break a sauce that is based on flour?

I have never experienced that happening!

troll it for like 45 minutes straight, it will start to weep eventually

never fails :clint:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

I'm going to boston in a couple months. is there like one place I shouldn't miss? or anyone doing anything crazy on the high end? I'll be downtown.

jus gonna bump dis lil question ~_~

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wanna split a pig head with me?

whoah yes i am down for splitting a pigs head with u :lron:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ok here's a pretty annoying problem with me and pasta.

a. I can't ever make filled pasta look pretty {but that's a problem with me}

b. fresh pasta always toughens up on me after I cook it! like, if I make udon or sheets of egg pasta for ravioli or whatever, I'll be sitting there cooking it for a few minutes and taste it while its hot, and it's pretty good and al dente, etc. but when I drain it, or run it under cold water to stop cooking, it always loving freezes up and gets dense as hell and generally unpleasant. this happens no matter what thickness the dough is. it's not as bad if I don't run the pasta under cold water, but it's still noticeable, and nothing like the more superb fresh pastas I've had at whatever restaurant. I've tried all the recipes I can find - the udon one comes out of my coveted japanese cookbook where every recipe is gold, I've tried batali's pasta dough, the one out of keller's laundry cookbook, food & wine, cooks illustrated, jamie oliver, etc etc. one of those has to be right.

maybe I'm just not rolling it thin enough, but with udon or whatever its not even supposed to be thin, so...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

He probably means Shimbo's The Japanese Kitchen. Or at least that's the one he recommended in the cookbook thread. I remember because ever since I ordered it, amazon's been recommending all kinds of weeaboo poo poo to me like anime buttplugs and pocky.

Yep, that's the one! This was one of the first cookbooks I ever bought when I was like 15, and I'm so glad I did. It's well written and explains a lot of core concepts behind japanese cuisine, as well as context of recipes and nice illustrations of some techniques that could otherwise be a little confusing for most home cooks.

It sort of stuck the notion of what a good cookbook should be in my head early on - IE, not just a collection of recipes. Now, whenever I am looking for a cookbook on a certain cuisine, I look to see how much of the book is explaining history, context, and techniques - and if it's less than 25%, I pretty much just put the book back on the shelf.

pile of brown posted:

how long are you trying to store cooked fresh pasta and why? I have never actually tried to store fresh pasta after cooking it, usually I store the uncooked pasta in a single floured layer in between sheets of parchment and cook it to serve.

I'm not trying to store cooked fresh pasta? are you asking why I rinse it under cool water? if so, I guess I just read somewhere that it was good to stop the cooking process, even if you were immediately serving - but I've also stopped doing that because it makes the pasta so goddamn dense and chewy.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 20, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sjurygg posted:

Would you care to give me a breakdown of the term "thermal heft" from the perspective of Newtonian physics plz

lol

TerryLennox posted:

Is there a substitute for Juniper berries on recipes? They kind of don't grow in the tropics.

a: https://www.orderthemontheinternet.com
or
b: throw in some gin

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

for what? Heat capacitance? Is it on the heat or not? Are you cooking outdoors in the Arctic? I mean, if you wanna drop a load on something that is only more useful for bragging rights than actual cooking, go right ahead.

I'm not on a physics PhD, but if I have a giant inch thick piece of cast iron heated to 400 degees, and I slap a chicken breast on it - all other variables suspended - in 1 minute the surface temperature of the cast iron is going to be a lot closer to the original 400 than if I have a giant piece of tin foil heated to 400 degrees, slap a chicken breast on it and wait for a minute.

I think that's what he meant by 'mass matters' and what subg was saying about buffering heat.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying so I'll say it again but differently. Are you cooking on coals or something that is so variable over the course of the cooking time that you need that much heat capacitance?

What you don't seem to get is that that extra weight is actually just useless for a majority of tasks.

dude what are you talking about? I know I'm interjecting myself into this debate and you aren't even really arguing with me, AND I don't even own any cast iron at the moment (need to fix) BUT

are you serious? 'heat capacitance' or whatever is incredibly useful! have you ever tried to crisp poultry skin in a pan whose temperature fluctuates wildly? (flaccid skin, sticks to bottom of the pan) what about deep fry in a thin stainless pot? (temperature of oil on bottom is way hotter than rest of pot, crumbs burn to poo poo ruining the entire thing of oil), or make a risotto or really rice of any sort where you need slow steady heat? heat capacitance even matters for stuff like boiling water! (steadier rolling boil = greener, crisper, quicker cooked vegetables)

just about every situation I can even think of involving heating a pan could benefit from extra heat capacitance - I mean I don't always use the heaviest pan I have due to practicality reasons - but in an ideal world if I could be arsed to clean and lug out dense as poo poo pans for even tiny tasks? hell yeah, absolutely!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also gently caress enameled cast iron, copper is where its at. dense as poo poo thick rear end heavy cunting copper. :colbert:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

this can all be done in a normal cast iron skillet or dutch oven, it does not require an enameled surface.

I don't care about enameled surface or cast iron or stainless or any of that - I was just mainly responding to your comments about heat capacitance and weight really.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

Use a piece of string and a small dumbbell to turn it into a deadman's switch. You can cook with one hand and hold the weight in the other. Or balance it on your head.

ahahah

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sweet, I have an ABD PhD in philosophy/cognitive science and I didn't even know it. :clint:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
a goon post you say...;;

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Casu Marzu posted:

What else can I do with pork stock. I have about a gallon of it, and I'm not gonna need that much for ramen.

rilettes, you boil fatty pork in pork stock until the stock basically condenses down/evaporates and fat renders out and then you're basically cooking the pork in its own fat and shred it and season it and pot it with like a half inch thick layer of sealing fat on top mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kiteless posted:

I recently discovered 2 new food products.

Awesome:

Spicy Chile Crisp (makes everything tastes deliciously Szechuan):

I have loved crisp chili oil for a long time, BUT

I recently discovered a one up on even regular crisp chili oil - crisp chili oil with SOY PROTEIN

it's loving amazing, and blows normal fried chili stuff out of the water.

it's everything normal fried chili is, but it has these little tiny square crutons of fried tofu or soy protein or whatever in it - which are extra salty and crunchy and delicious. been putting it on noodles and dimsum stuff recently, it's ultra good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

East coast = least coast.

usa = gay sa

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sjurygg posted:

Good Norwegian Sea shrimp, boiled in unsalted water then scalded with strong brine to make them tender and juicy, is way better than any lobster I've had :ssh:

what do you mean by 'scalding'? usually scalding is dunking something quickly in boiling/really hot water

agree about shrimp vs lobster though. I've had good lobster, but I think I prefer the flavor and texture of really perfectly cooked shrimp. crab, on the other hand, is one of those expensive seafoods where goddamn, it's loving worth the money. :(

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
IM GOING TO loving SLAM MY DICK THROUGH A BAGEL AAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGHUYFNGGN

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rule .303 posted:

Well, remember, when you gently caress a bagel, take care lest you become the bagel.

jawohl sir herr kommandant

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sjurygg posted:

Actually,

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I overheard a conversation this weekend between a morbidly obese woman and her friend who literally looked like she fell off the set of trailer park boys (which isn't even that bad really) where the obese woman was wowing her friend by saying something along the lines of 'yeah, me and my husband are REALLY adventurous with our food, we like the spicy things like mexican food, and we try a lot of cold appetizers, and lots of HERBS!! oh but things like duck... EWWWWwwwwWWw its so oily and tastes off' and I was suddenly reminded that most people don't actually care about food at all and are completely ridiculous and that gently caress this gay earth shoot self blguhhhh

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
oh ... my.....

god??

you eat HERBS? wow are you loving nuts that's so crazy!!!

i mean just wow every time i mean ;; i mean just every time i try to eat an herb ... its just like WOW boy.... NO WAY HOSEEEYY. not this girl! "no to herbs" thats what I say!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I just made blutwurst tonight. Never made sausage before. Never cooked with blood before. A night full of firsts :)

nice

what recipe did you use? how did it turn out? black pudding and blood sausage are two things I've often thought about making, but never really tried to do.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
has anyone used general slicers?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/bfs/2883475443.html

I can't tell what this this costs new, but this might be a good deal? usually the models with built in sharpening stones are pretty nice...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

In Virginia, we have a poo poo ton of different specialty license plates (bowling enthusiast? We've got a plate for you!) which can result in hilarity. The classic is of course the "kids first" vanity plate reading EAT THE

I saw the best one. It was a Ducks Unlimited plate that read CONFIT

ahahah

I have never really thought about a food related custom plate, but I'd consider this one.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
got a new client a couple weeks ago that will increase my monthly revenue by about a third...

on contract for at least a year. hell yeah :clint:

maybe one day I can afford to hire someone :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

But then you can't portion it out. That's the whole point of ice cube trays.

what

I put mine in sandwich bag sized ziplocks, which is usually exactly how much I want for a sauce or whatever. and then one or two bigger ziplocks for soups.

I lay them flat on a sheet tray to freeze, so when they're frozen they stand up like books and I can just stack a row of them side by side