Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I have things to make blood sausage. This will either rule or be horrifying.

It's really kinda both at the same time, especially during prep and filling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

therattle posted:

Are you a Jewish? I'm reform, so I arbitrarily avoid piggishness but happily eat shellfish (and non-kosher meat). Yes, I know it makes no sense. No, please don't argue with me or make a comment about organised religion.

I could never be Jewish. Love pork and various bugs of the sea too much.

The idea that I could never again have a bacon cheeseburger with a chocolate milkshake and a side of crawfish poppers makes me sad.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

SubG posted:

No, I'm an atheist.

How do you feel about your foreskin?

:sigh: They took it before I had a say in the matter when I was just teeny.

I wish I had my snake wearing a turtleneck look back. :sigh:

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Got a raise today!!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

congratulations!

Thanks!

After doing the job I was hired for, two other guy's full time jobs, and producing nearly twice as much with half the staff, (and cross training the staff so they are more interchangeable now) I'm rewarded!

(nicely rewarded too).

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

I don't understand how people freeze their stock as cubes. Do you have like 30 ice cube trays or something?

The answer is "yes". I got them at a kitchen supply joint and they were like $0.50 each for the blue plastic kind.

Helps that I have 2 extra freezers (chest freezer and extra refrigerator freezer).

Cook stock in ice water bath, portion into trays, freeze.

Put in ziplocks after they are popped out of the trays.

They nest together nicely and aren't more than a foot tall when all stacked.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I reuse my paper towels as kindling.

I use lint, old candles, chainsaw sawdust, and cardboard egg cartons as firestarters.

Mix the dry stuff with the candle hunks, melt, smoosh into cartons.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

ulmont posted:

I actually prefer blowing my nose with paper towels rather than Kleenex. Kleenex shreds all over my 5 o'clock shadow, which starts at about 10am.

Plus, you can roll them into a little cone or tube and really roto-rooter around inside your nose holes and get out the crud you can't reach with a fingernail.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Hey guys!

Worst injury I did to myself is the "pinned myself to the floor by stabbing a chef's knife THROUGH my foot" that most of you know about (and have seen the MS paint drawing).

Sorry I missed soapy titwank chat. :sigh:

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

mediaphage posted:

As soon as I saw it I thought of Dino

Faaaaaabulous!!!

Dino, you have single handedly made me re-think vegan foods with your lack of scold and snarky pretense.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

bunnielab posted:

I just smell stuff and if it doesn't make me gag I put it in my mouth. People make things too complicated.

This is my rule for oral sex as well as food.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Spent my weekend with the boys blowing poo poo up with firearms all day and drinking all night.

Food was so-so, but if you think of it as hunting camp without the hunting, it was passable. Pulled BBQ pork sandwiches, home-made chili to slather on natural casing hot dogs, deviled eggs, cheese and crackers, coleslaw and potato salad. A few home made baked goods as well.

Got to shoot the FN SCAR 17 Heavy. That thing is authoritative when it booms out 20 rounds of 7.62 NATO in a row. Too bad the price is so prohibitively high.

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 16, 2012

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

PXJ800 posted:

I've posted about what a great helper my 3-year-old has been in the kitchen, but now the little one is getting in on the action! She's still not good for much more than a rough chop, but it's really about the "quality time" for me.

Let her run the Hobart next!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Darval posted:

"This food tastes like baby blood"

Today I decided to add daddy blood to the menu. I was slicing along chopping up some veggies for a stirfry when one of the 8 year old girls was saying dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad, dad...

I turned to ask what is it sweetie. being the terrible parent I am I did not give my child my full attention. Consequently I was still slicing as I was talking to her. I am now missing and minor but measurable portion of my pinky finger tip and fingernail. Not only does it sting but it just won't stop bleeding. I have mummified my finger in four by fours and surgical tape until it's the size of a golf ball.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Walk Away posted:

I'm not so sure it's a substitute for going to a real doctor, but yes, it does work.

I decided going to a real doctor was pointless. What was he going to do? Stick of skin and fingernail back on the end of my finger?

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Walk Away posted:

Maybe he could give you an attitude adjustment.

My attitude is fine, but my finger is a bit throbby. :sigh:

WHERE'S MY FREE HEALTHCARE!?!?!

Decided that spending $150 for an emergency room visit (plus 10%) wouldn't be worth it for them to squirt some bacitracin on the wound and ask me if I had a recent tetanus shot.

Two nurses work here and they both said "yep, woudn't have done anything other than disinfect and bandage that!".

It'll be fine,but my fingertip will be a bit flat from now on.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

The eldest child decided to run in grandma's house in socks on a hardwood floor.

Slip and whack head into the corner of the baseboard.

Several staples to close her scalp.

Unless she loses her hair or shaves her head, nobody will ever notice the honkin' sized scar on her noggin.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Took my kid to aikido yesterday for the first time. Of course it happened to be the one day of the year the parents are expected to be on the mat with the children.

It was a bunch of moms and me and their children. My darling daughter pipes up "daddy was in wrestling and karate and tae kwon do".

I got to be the instructors throwing and smacking things into toy for the day.

Ouch, everything is sore today.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

In reply to the "industrial food supply is evil "statements that have been going on recently, I would like to inform you people of an interesting development.

As I am an industry insider, I get lots and lots of trade magazines and invitations to trade shows and other events. one such events is a food safety conference that's going on very soon. essentially everyone in the industry will attend this conference. I know I'm going!

Like many large tradeshows, there will be lectures presented. one such lecture is on the topic of sustainability. Who do you guess the lead speaker and presenter is for sustainability in the food industry?

Why, of course it's Smithfield foods!

The same company that has been cited by the EPA for destroying watersheds and poisoning large swaths of land. The same company that has had employees die from being too close to its poo poo lagoons.

Yep they're experts on sustainability, and will teach us all how to do it right!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Jenkin posted:

Is Monsanto co-sponsoring?

Monsanto is leading a lecture on seed saving and on non-GMO heirloom seeds.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

And you were hoping for floor work with one of the moms?

True confession: the first time I ever put my arms around a girl was in judo, and I was trying to keep her from throwing me to the ground.
Aikido doesn't have a lot of hugging. It's kind of a lot more like holding hands. Except I kept flying through the Frikin' air

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

I can't even tell what's sarcasm anymore.

That's what I'm here for, to blur the line.

(Smithfield = real, Monsanto, eh, maybe next year)

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

drat dude...just drat.

Ditto. Awful news. I hope the follow-up gives you a positive course of action.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They're shopping there because the good local butchers and liquor stores and general goods sellers have been put out of business by places like Costco and walmart et. al., the sort of establishment which you, in finest Stockholm syndrome style, are defending (while they watch you and check your receipt to make sure you haven't stolen anything because, hey, you can't trust the working classes.) So congratulations, you're part of the problem.

Oh! Oh!

Someone get him going on monoculture agriculture, genetically modified organisms, and factory farming now!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Actually.... My oldest has informed me, that they today learned that if everybody consumed like the americans, we would need 5 earths to sustain our global population.

While I support the message (conservation), I do not support the finger pointing..

Answer is simple, reduce population by 5~ish billion people.

TA-DA!!

You now only need one earth!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

That, oddly, was the kids conclusion too - which sparked a long discussion about Malthus, and why he was a bastard.

Yeah, it seems that whole eugenics and genocide thing kind of has fallen out of favor.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm going to to go home, help my boy with his covered wagon project,

Don't forget the grease bucket.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I KNEW IT!!

Now I have peer reviewed evidence to back it up!

Do you like to pontificate about organic food, your CSA and the evils of big ag? Then you may feel morally superior to others; you may be a jerk.
Continuing with Dr. Oz-inspired themes of insufferability and sanctimony, a new study confirms what I’ve anecdotally observed for decades: preaching organic makes you a jerk – and not in the adorable Steve Martin way, more in the self-perceived moral superiority way.
A paper published last week in the Journal of Social Psychological & Personality Science found that exposure to organic foods can “harshen moral judgments.”
As cited by Time magazine, “There’s a line of research showing that when people can pat themselves on the back for their moral behavior, they can become self-righteous,” the study’s lead author, Dr. Kendall J. Eskine, assistant professor of the psychological sciences department at Loyola University in New Orleans, told NBC’s Today show. Eskine and his team showed research subjects photographs of food, ranging from überorganic fruits and vegetables to fattening brownies and baked goods. He then gauged the primed eaters’ moral fiber with stories that warranted judgment, like one about a lawyer who lurks in an ER to try to persuade patients to sue for their injuries.
Reacting to the events on a numbered scale, the organic-food participants were more judgmental than those in the comfort-food category. They were also more reluctant when asked to volunteer time to help strangers, the study found, offering only 13 minutes vs. the brownie eaters’ 24 minutes. It’s like the group had already fulfilled its moral-justice quota by buying organic, so it felt all right slacking off in other ethics-based situations. Eskine labeled it “moral licensing.”
“There’s something about being exposed to organic food that made them feel better about themselves,” he told the Today show. “And that made them kind of jerks a little bit, I guess.”
The research doesn’t mean much, and I’m probably citing it only because it confirms my worldview, but still, there are a lot of preachers out there.
I’ll stick to focusing on food that makes people barf: organic, sustainable, local, dolphin-friendly or otherwise.
The abstract is below:
Wholesome foods and wholesome morals? Organic foods reduce prosocial behavior and harshen moral judgments
may.12
Social Psychological and Personality Science
Kendall J. Eskine
http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/05/14/1948550612447114.abstract
Abstract
Recent research has revealed that specific tastes can influence moral processing, with sweet tastes inducing prosocial behavior and disgusting tastes harshening moral judgments. Do similar effects apply to different food types (comfort foods, organic foods, etc.)? Although organic foods are often marketed with moral terms (e.g., Honest Tea, Purity Life, and Smart Balance), no research to date has investigated the extent to which exposure to organic foods influences moral judgments or behavior. After viewing a few organic foods, comfort foods, or control foods, participants who were exposed to organic foods volunteered significantly less time to help a needy stranger, and they judged moral transgressions significantly harsher than those who viewed nonorganic foods. These results suggest that exposure to organic foods may lead people to affirm their moral identities, which attenuates their desire to be altruistic.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Don't worry, Mr. Wiggles. I'm sure nobody here would ever accuse you of being sanctimonious or insufferable about anything.

Costco?

Sam's Club?

Smithfield?

Tyson?

Monoculture agriculture?

Ke$ha music?

Not to sass, but the guy has hot button issues.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

If you're gonna swing the bat, swing for the fences.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Absolutely.

When it comes to giant gaping anuses, I only think of one man (and one image).

Fired up the Weber smoker for Memorial Day and cooked up a couple racks of baby backs and a couple racks of Fred Flintstone style beef ribs.

Made me happy after a weekend of enduring in-laws and fighting with my wife and kids. That, plus the cheap beer in the sun.

Yay me!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Great, now I've started smoking again, after a nearly 20 year break.

Only smoked around 5 packs since early April, but goddamn if a nicotine buzz isn't like welcoming back an old friend.

I have to stop this poo poo before it starts to be a serious habit again.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have time loving warped into the 21st century.

The last time I bought a tv was in 1992. It was a 27" tube tv and today it went away.

I now have a 51" smart tv that has 3d capability (and neato glasses) and has a maximum resolution so fine that I can see individual facial pores on the people on tv.

Tv didn't suck so much as MY tv sucked.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Spanking' new Weber Summit 4 burner stainless grill with side burner for dads day.

See ya later old 2 burner Weber silver.

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 18, 2012

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Walk Away posted:

Did you keep the receipt for her?

HH doesn't have a backup kid. I have a backup kid. I have identical twins. Not only do they have interchangeable parts in case of emergency, if I lose one, I can just look at the other one!

They're clones!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Predator and prey. Gidget and a cardinal.

My 3 black kitties, Smudge (the 19 year old kitty in the foreground), Gidget, and Boomer. Gidget and Boomer are brother and sister.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

19? drat that's an old cat.

He's slow moving as hell, needs subcutaneous fluids every couple days, and pretty much likes to sit in sunbeams, sleep, and get petted until he sheds and drools all over you.

He's awesome.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Chemmy posted:

I like reading TripAdvisor reviews of nice restaurants.

Come on, $25 is a bit spendy for a glass of wine. I know some bottles would totally command that sort of price or more, but I'd at least like a rough idea of what I'm spending when I'm out.

I ordered a Manhattan at a reasonably nice restaurant here in MN, and not one of those that's rated super trendy-spendy-neato in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, but just a reasonably decent white tablecloth place.

Standard Manhattan, nothing special. Not even some special call brand of whiskey. It's not a house special or something they're "known" for, it's just a drink.

Twenty dollars.

I nearly shat myself. Glad I had one.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Holy balls and I've been busy at work. What's been going on in this wonderful exciting land that I call my pretend friend headquarters?

Anybody want a short course on how to run vertical form fill seal equipment, I'm your guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sweet Baby Ray's. But no bottled sauce can stand up to good home-made sauce, of course.

Know who used to make and bottle Sweet Baby Ray's??

That's right, this guy right here.

That, plus about 300+ other BBQ specialty sauces.