Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I'll go on spice runs to queens with you dino! I went today and stocked up for a while though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
My technique is to cook the chickpeas until they are almost falling apart tender, heavily salt the water and let it cool a bit. Then drain off most of the water leaving them still pretty hot and wet and hit it with an immersion blender. Once its smooth I add the tahini until the color of the hummus lightens and then roasted garlic and the oil that I simmered it in until the texture lightens. I take it until its thicker than I like and finish it with lemon. The whole process goes much smoother and your end product is much finer if you do it while everything is hot. Just leave it a bit looser than you would like as it will firm up quite a bit.

Think of it kind of like making a mayonnaise and play with your emulsion as such. Starting with a loose puree is key. It's the difference between delicious hummus and a chickpea puree with some tahini and lemon.

I go through a pound of dried chickpeas every other week and this has come from much trial and error. My hands down favorite meal is fresh warm hummus, labneh with zataar and olive oil and flatbread.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 21, 2012

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Phummus posted:

When I roast garlic, I cut the top of the head off, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, wrap in foil and throw it in the oven for an hour or so at 350. You mentioned using the oil that you simmer the garlic in. Can you describe your garlic roasting technique as well? I would think prolonged exposure to heat would reduce the fruitiness of a good olive oil.

Peel all your cloves, cover with decent oil and then throw on the lowest heat you possibly can until they soften and just barely start to color. It should take 20 minutes max. Process your hummus while the oil is still hot. It may kill of some of the finer notes in a really excellent oil, so just use that to finish and use a mid-range oil to cook in if it concerns you.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I havent seen it yet but El Bulli: Cooking in Progress has just popped up on netflix.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
My most often used knives are a $15 cleaver and a $400+ yanagiba.

Somebody freak out.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I feel that there should be a disclaimer there about using hot liquids. It seems like asking for an explosion.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

dino. posted:

RE: Not telling the cashier

My mum frequently told me stories of my grandfather. I knew him until I was four years old, and then we left India. He died when I was like 7. :( Anyway. He worked for the UN, and lived in Jamaica Queens with his family. He'd walk to the grocery store every week.

By the time he'd get to the check out counter, he'd have the entire bill calculated down to the penny. If the cashier was off by even one cent (even if it was in his favour), he'd have her or him recalculate the bill until it was correct. There was one cashier who gave him a dirty look at the end of it (because this was before they had adding machines at the cash registers, apparently), and said, "I would rather have paid that 5 cents from my own purse than do that whole thing again three times. :gonk:"
This explains so much. It's genetic!

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Eh, the mass starts at 5, should got until about 6, half an hour or so for pictures, then the reception starts in the hall next door.

2 hours for photos? Yeesh.

Honestly, as long as you give yourself enough lead time you'll be fine. For the preparation, decide on your menu at least two or three weeks out and start making as many lists as possible. Timelines, grocery lists, equipment lists, serving equipment lists. I would start four days out on the actual cooking, day one to get all your groceries loaded in and your longest projects started, day two to pick up everything you forgot about and to complete the majority of work. Day three to pick up all the other stuff you forgot and to finish all the work you didn't think would take as long as it does, as well as prep out all of your fresh veg/fruit. Morning of the wedding have a couple people you can delegate to, give them a timeline of when/how to reheat everything, have them make your fresh fruit/veg dishes, then just taste everything before it goes out.

As long as you don't schedule your only active working time as the day before and the day of the wedding you should be okay. It would be theoretically possible, but incredibly painful.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

dino. posted:

Hey gravi, what was that self healing cutting board you like?

These are the ones I kept trying to convince you to buy!

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
One day I can share my story of Dino and forever alter your opinions of him.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey goons, settle a stupid disagreement?

What's the best way to make a cheesecake (NY style), stand mixer or food processor?

I'm going to go with food processor. Using a mixer is going to incorporate more air which will make it rise higher and crack more.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Been learning about risotto lately - what's the process like for prepping and serving it in a restaurant?

Cook it less than halfway, spread out on trays to cool then hold for service. On pick up, heat it back up with liquid of your choice and when it's almost al dente hit it with your dairy and work it in until it's creamy and glossy and you're done.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

dongsbot 9000 posted:

This is what i did, sans lemon juice. Was bad. I like most other greens prepared this way, but the taste of the chard was pretty overpoweringly bitter.

If you find its always too bitter for you just blanch it in boiling water for a minute or two, then drain and saute.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

blacquethoven posted:

is anyone else sick of this bullshit "plate to the left" thing? I work in iowa and I feel like we get stuff a couple years after it stopped being cool on the coasts/chicago. anyway the chef at my work has the biggest hardon for it and it looks nice but people in iowa are wondering where the rest of the food on their plate is

http://imgur.com/a/9hZlP

hes also a tweezerfuck piece of poo poo and mean to the dishwasher, should I let him know that hes gonna get fired next week?

A lot of times it can look great, but as they say "you have to walk before you can run" and those plates show far too much technical error to be plated like that. He needs to focus on the basics of properly cooking vegetables and proteins before he breaks out the tweezers.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I'm surprised you even had to ask.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Manuel Calavera posted:

From what I'm aware of, it's a chill con. Never been and I've not asked friends, but I assume it's nowhere outside the norm of Vegas.

Also, congrats!

The only one I've ever been to but huge and chill. Not in Vegas though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Hitting up mff in a couple weeks, not necessarily my scene but my boy goes crazy.