Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Roux-thickened sauces taste like flour if you don't cook them for 20 minutes.

What? Everything I've read says 2-3 minutes is sufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

But candied orange peel

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Phummus posted:

Does anyone have a link to, or the recipe for the One True Hummus?

Wrez's one-true-hummus: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3323223&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post379527735
(linked from my wiki hummus)

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 22, 2012

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

When the hell is ICSA Mustard happening??

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Sorry, but that's hilarious :)

If I fumble a knife off the bench I leap away like it's a live grenade.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Depends on context but generally more like overzealous or single-minded - inconsiderate of alternatives.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Holy poo poo, KozmoNaut. Settle down.

Eat This Glob posted:

Bullshit. If the last tangent in this thread (and the old biggest kitchen fuckups thread) is any indication, when I drop a knife, I gotta catch 'em all :colbert:.
:golfclap:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I just got back from an outstanding meal at a little restaurant in Nice, France in which we were the only diners. As I was getting the bill I asked in broken french where everyone was - the food was great and the place was empty. Oh she said, we don't open until 8pm. Turns out we were like 2 hrs early but she seated us anyway :v:

KozmoNaut posted:

ITT, knives are SERIOUS BUSINESS.

But seriously, it's just that I don't get all this "you can't possibly cook with mid-range non-Japanese knives" machismo.

No one said that. Take a few deep breaths and realise that the replies were mostly tongue-in-cheek. Maybe ask knifethread if you want detailed advice.

VV I did :)

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 31, 2012

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

irc://irc.synirc.net/foodchat if you have a client already
http://mediaphage.net/foodchat.html otherwise

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Walk Away posted:

Eh, I don't know. I grew up there (still live here) and I don't think that I've ever had a burrito with fries in it. Isn't it a bit much? Maybe I've been missing out on something serious.

Next thing you'll be making chip butties and it's all over my friend.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Lovely place, nice staff, excellent flavours. It was an excellent evening! Thanks Poteto for introducing me to the restaurant!

Ya pretty good. He misunderstood the order and delivered egg fried rice instead of Son-in-law eggs but put it right fairly quickly and the dessert was perfect. No prawn crackers hahah

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

The economics of meat production is why I'm still a vegetarian after 30something years. If you're so broke that $2.22 makes a significant difference, fine do what you gotta do. But it's still bad news.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Thing is not only is it not going to get better it's going to get dramatically worse. Currently 40% of land is used for grazing cattle. Demand for meat is forecast to rise something like 50% over the next 50 years. Something's got to give.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Poached in orange juice is pretty good too

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Scientastic posted:

Speaking of the mustard ICSA, does anyone have a good source for mustard greens in the UK?

Lol. Spent this morning searching borough market from one end to the other. No dice.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

No Wave posted:

Here's the thing: bx fare was 600 dollars for 2, 775 all in w/ service (two of the cheapest bottles of wine on the list) but it's still a drat bargain. I mean you get Cesar Ramirez sourcing some of the best fish on the planet, certainly the best in the Americas for about twenty courses (literally every non-dessert course was fish save the special duck he gets that has like mad skinny skin so it's all crispy and poo poo)

It's kind of ridiculous that you get to eat many pieces of the best produce near the Americas for that price. In fact it's almost criminal. He had a whole tray of sea urchin and used the whole thing on eight people. And then put black truffle on top. I mean... it's so clearly worth it.

I don't really eat out much these days but it's not really comparable to most restaurant experiences. Frankly we're all pricks for enjoying this poo poo when all the fish are gonna be dead in eighty years anyways. So get after it

I can't tell if this is serious or not. *re-reads Lights Out In Wonderland*

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

On the London stuff, I'll remember the zone thing. Is it beneficial to stay pretty close to the city center and be able to walk to things? So far I've mostly been looking at things that are in Kensington and Paddington, and while it's a little pricy, it's right close to a lot of things that I'm supposed to be getting to. Prices go down exponentially the further I seem to get from the city, but I don't want to have to commute an hour for a tour of Kew Gardens or what have you.

I was thinking of renting a car to do the trip from London to Scotland. I like driving, and would like to maybe make a detour to Abingdon to see where my car was born.

Kensington and Paddington are pretty pricey areas though most of Zone 1 is. Go out a little way into Zone 2 like Camden, Shepherds Bush, Southwalk or East ish around London Bridge up to Bethnel Green. The density of bus routes means you'll never have to wait long for transport even if you're not next to a tube stop. Get a zone 1+2 weekly travel card and you're sorted. The overground train system is much improved compared to a few years ago. By the end of this year it'll link up at Clapham Junction and be a complete circle around London. There's also a bike hire system for getting about in the centre. £1 per day base and trips < 30 mins free.

If you don't want to burn a whole day (or two) driving to Scotland you can get a train up the East coast which is pretty nice. I love driving but I haven't owned a car in 5 years now.

pr0k posted:

Married 8 years now, together 10. It's good, it's hard, it's good, it's great, it sucks, it's good. It's just kind of like that. Beats :smith: though.
I got stealth married in July this year and it is like this - starting as we mean to continue.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

pr0k posted:

Hey man, congrats. :)

Thanks buddy. Kept it on the down low for a number of reasons, then surprise announced it afterwards :)

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Scientastic posted:

That thread has been shite since its inception, but it would have died a death eventually if people had left it alone. The standard "vote 1 and move on" should apply.

Same for poor thread IMO. Horrible troll pits.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I for one love HH's proposal. Most people don't remember (let alone give a crap about) the egg episode. Bury it.

.. and I don't think ricola is certain to "win" here. Expectations need to be set appropriately IMO.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I assume it wouldn't be telling them how to eat, more how to flavour what they're already committed to eating. Like browning proteins, appropriate spices, herbs whatever. Maybe alternative sources for those "macros" for variety. Maybe how (and why) not to shop like a jerk.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Bin that poo poo and get some vegemite

Oh ok then.. get some good heavy wholegrain bread, toast it dark, butter thickly and marmite thinly (like 1/2 tsp per slice).

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 24, 2012

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

What's the beef between Danes and Swedes? I saw a Susanne Bier film last week and it was pretty strong.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Sjurygg posted:

Somebody should dig up his ICSA: wine entry and post a photo of the tempeh bourguignon next to this.

I miss wiggles' epic vegestew icsa entries

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

mindphlux posted:

also I guess looking for off the beaten track fun things to do, since apparently THE ENTIRE loving GOVERNMENT IS CLOSED

Tell me about it. Probably my only ever visit to DC last weekend (for a wedding in VA) and the Smithsonian museums all shut :argh: Had fun eating my way up the East coast on a road trip though -> Baltimore -> Philly -> NYC. Now in Sacramento, heading to SF this weekend via Napa then back to London.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

drat.. I paid more than that for my stone. Would be all over it if UK :/

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I did the same with rock cakes yesterday. Derp

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Random beer question, but are micobrews, in the american sense, generally a thing in europe?

What's the American sense? Small batches, weird names and too much hops? Yep.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Do you get the soapy cilantro effect for ground coriander seeds too? Like in spiced falafel or indian foods?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Would you prefer it if you were called a genetic oddity?

I'm down with that.

Now, down to serious business: tounge/tongue.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, once I started cooking Indian food, I started putting cardamom in everything. It's SO good in hot chocolate.

I was in Munnar, Kerala a few weeks ago. Our accommodation was on a large cardamom plantation. Went for a hike through the cardamom bushes (which look like larger leafy ginger plants) and saw the fresh cardamom buds, which we opened to taste the fresh seeds. The flavour is not as strong as dried (surprise). Also saw some pods which had dried naturally on the ground, so the shell is dark brown with dried seeds within - very fragrant vs fresh. Commercial drying keeps the shells green, I guess.

Also pepper corn vines, vanilla, coffee and miles of tea.

More: http://imgur.com/a/VrPdy

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Dane posted:

It's a damned shame that Puglisi is so bad on tv, he's extremely knowledgeable, charming and funny, and his food is just loving aMAAAYYYYYYYYzing.

I was thinking of visiting Copenhagen (for the first time) for a few days after Christmas, and looks like a reservation at Relae is possible. Terrible idea? Will anything be open in the city or does it close up that time of year? Thinking Monday 29th - Friday 2nd.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I'd never worn a ring before I got married. The band was always a bit loose but I liked it like that.. until it just slipped right off in the surf at Bondi Beach. Replaced it with the same thing but two sizes smaller. Now perfect.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

^ bad man

I get often get feathers here in UK. Got a little tuft in the pack I bought yesterday. Not sure about any membrane?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Rationale posted:

He raises cows, chicken, turkey, and pigs.

ftfy

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Calrose is a short grain, right? GIS looks like the one I usually use. I don't know why you want to eliminate evidence of rice grains in rice pudding though.. serve it when it's cooked man. I'll make rice pudding from leftover cooked (brown) rice even.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Who posted some recs for Copenhagen here recently, Dane? I'm here til Wednesday staying south of Nørreport station.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Thanks! Just had a huge vege burger at Halifax. We're heading over to Lund, Sweden tomorrow for a day trip but fully intend to explore Nørrebro Tuesday. Was already planning Manfreds & Vin Tues night.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Dane posted:

Ørsted has dropped in quality (it's been a while, they might've picked up again), but yeah, Ølbaren on Elmegade is pretty good as is Fermentoren and Mikkeler.

Ølbaren was a nice stop on the way to Baest for dinner last night, cheers for that. Interesting drinks, pickles and really good pizza. We seemed to wind up at Democratic for coffee & nibbles at least once a day too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

You could buy everything on that list, including the spice grinder, from Amazon. All the ingredients are common except the (optional) "stone flower".