Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

I got a Vitamix 5200 Professional Series blender at $170 off for Prime Day. What should I make in it first?
Pie in the sky.

E: Also daiquiris. Equal parts canned frozen limeade, rum, and crushed ice. Buzz buzz buzz, drink, and get buzz buzz buzzed.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This seems relevant:
https://youtu.be/88Y9ja9s5f0

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I just sharpened my knife real good. Life is better now. You should sharpen your knife real good and make your life better too!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm way more concerned about Parmesan :qq:

Seriously click through to the pdf, it's weird they chose to frame it around whiskey when it's about a ton of stuff
Probably because that link is from BBC Scotland and Scotch production matters to their readers more than say, Spanish olive oil or Edam cheese (but apparently only Gouda and Edam from Germany, Spain, and the UK? Someone doesn’t know where Edam and Gouda are)

I guess Italy isn’t much involved with Airbus? Their wines aren’t getting tariffs but France, Spain, the UK(lol), and Germany all are getting their wine tariffed. Or the guy that makes these up just really likes Barolo and hates all good cheese?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

OMGVBFLOL posted:

in this hypothetical, are we assuming here that the tariffs will eventually drag up the consumer pricing of domestic goods? Because "imported butter" and "european cheeses" aren't exactly staples of my fridge either

if there's a point i'm making it's probably that they probably aimed this to sound like they were sticking it to those enigmatic snooty coastal elites, because i'm squarely in the same income bracket as a lot of trump's base, and i'm still not quite seeing how this could affect me personally, at least directly
I think it's really mostly meant to a)piss of European farmers who are pretty politically important so they'll pressure their own governments to make tarriffs go away and b)not piss off middle america. It may not seem huge, but it will likely kick all the french and spanish wine off the $10 and under wine table, for instance.

In the event there isn't some negotiated way out and the tariffs do come into effect, I'd imagine it will still be a few months before any big price increases get to the consumer as there's already warehouses of untariffed stuff in the country that'll be sold first.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I usually cook 2-3 times a week, and eat leftovers/frozen leftovers/soup the rest of the time. I try to alternate so I don't have the same thing twice in a rown I have learned that a few thing really don't reheat/microwave well and are best recycled into a whole new dish. I love to roast a chicken, but is definitely in this category. The skin goes all rubbery and the meat just gets funky and rubbery-shred it and turn it into something else because nucrowaved it is kinda gross. Same with steak really, but a pork roast seems to reheat okay?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chicken pot pie adjacent question:
Is there a good disposable metal pan with lid situation to make and freeze chicken pot pie in to give away to people and not have to worry about getting a dish back? Preferably on the smaller size to make individual or 2 serving pot pies.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The turkey one is great but they chose the wrong best way. Deep frying a turkey is the BEST way hands down. I dont give a poo poo if NYC apartment dwellers can’t do it.

Bon Appetite doesn’t know people who don’t live in apartments in NYC/SF/Boston exist.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

tarbrush posted:

Dear thread, I'm looking for some advice. I'm about to host my first adult dinner party, for a bunch of people (8) with a preponderance of pesceterians. What should I do? I'm torn between mezze or aubergine parm and Italian sides. What is comparatively easy and amenable to doing a fair amount of it in advance. Happy to consider all suggestions
Something like aubergine parm or a vegetarian lasagna that you can do ahead and then have in the oven when folks arrive (so the house smells good and they think you've really been cooking) would be good. If you want something more collaborative/involved and have a pizza stone, making and rolling out a few pizza crusts before hand and having all the toppings ready to assemble is fun, but not as conducive to 'lets all sit down at the dinner table at the same time' as a thing that you park in the oven before anyone gets there.

Unless you do a whole fish/big chunk of fish, it really needs to be prepared right before serving imo and cooking 8 portions of fish before any one of them gets cold is pretty tough. If your pescatarians eat shellfish, and you want to try something very different that I've always wanted to try, try Jacques Pepin's seafood bread: http://www.shesalmostalwayshungry.com/2014/04/jacques-pepins-seafood-bread.html

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Publix seems to have very happy, friendly employees (I think it is employee owned?), but I don't particularly like their produce. I can't stand prepackaged broccoli and zucchini and stuff. On the days when it doesn't look like a bomb went off and someone has stocked the produce section, Walmart has great produce imo because they move so much of it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Midniter posted:

It looks like we're hosting Xmas dinner this year for my wife's family. One of them doesn't eat pork, lamb is "too gamey" and apparently they don't like prime rib (?!?!) so the general consensus is beef tenderloin. Super boring but it is what it is. What's the best route to take to come up with a dish that's not too aggressive/different for this traditional family, but not boring so that I don't fall asleep eating something I spent a lot of money on?
Bearnaise or bordelaise sauce both make otherwise kind of boring beef tenderloin waaaaay better. Bordelaise makes it taste like beef again, bearnaise makes it taste like bearnaise, but that’s okay because it’s delicious.

Anyone who doesn’t like bearnaise sauce is hopelessly broken and you aren’t going to be able to fix them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

nwin posted:

I know knives are a personal thing but I decided to buy a shun premier 8” during Black Friday and used it the last few days. This thing seems so delicate like if I look at it the wrong way, the tips going to break off. It’s sharp and pretty and feels decent in the hand, but I’m not sure about the durability of it. I’m thinking I might try a wusthof classic since those seem to have a bit more heft.

I’m coming from using a global when I first got into cooking (all because of Anthony bourdain’s drat book!), which was way too slippery in my hands, to using a Misen knife for a while and realizing that thing sucks.
I love my 8" wusthof classic and it ought to last me the rest of my life, but I recently picked up a $30 Mercer from a restaurant supply store and it is the sharpest damned knife I've ever used. Made in Taiwan of German steel and it really feels like a real knife for $30.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/mercer-culinary-m20608-genesis-8-forged-chef-knife-with-full-tang-blade/470M20608.html

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pollyanna posted:

What are people making for Christmas lunch/dinner? My family's looking for recommendations and I wanted to recommend something that wasn't just a bird or ham. We'll be in Florida, so grilling is an option.

Standing rib roast, yorkshire pudding, gravy, brussel sprouts, roasted tomatoes, charlotte russe for dessert.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

As a southerner (and therefore mayonnaise expert) Dukes is fine but overhyped. Hellman’s is the best off the shelf mayo imo.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If I can get veal, I'm just gonna eat the veal.
:same:

There's an older, mostly retired butcher that helps out at my local butcher sometimes and I asked if they had any veal once and he said no, and he ate so much of it growing up because it was cheap that he never wants to eat it again. Funny how it has gone from much cheaper than beef meat for poors to much more expensive than beef delicacy in the US in a generation. I wonder why that has happened.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There isn't a southern food thread and I have been delving a little more deeply into some of it beyond what I grew up eating. Is there any interest in a southern food thread and any suggestions of things to include? I cook a pretty good pot of greens and make a pretty good biscuit, but I am far from expert or even an especially great cook if anyone more expert wants to take a stab at such a thread.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Croatoan posted:

Go for it. I had one a long time back but it got killed in whirled peas I think. I think it'd be nice to have a general southern food thread again.

Whalley posted:

Oh my god yes please. Southern food is so loving good, but even though I live in the south, I'm way too much of a stupid dickhead to know how to put together a thread for it (or even really throw in anything other than Opinions about NC BBQ and the occasional post that says "holy poo poo thank you i am trying this today")
I'll try and put something together then!

mediaphage posted:

As long as it doesn’t turn into gatekeeping bullshit like most internet discussions about southern food. gently caress I hate even talking about cornbread because people are just waiting to tell me how their “real” southern grandmother did it (which is a lie because most of them bought the 59 cent box of jiffy from the store).
Please do not feel compelled to talk about cornbread then! I (and more than a few very good cooks I know) have always used the recipe on the bag of martha white cornmeal mix and it's pretty great and I've never been tempted to mess with it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Granted I live on the gulf coast, but even my local Walmart has frozen wild caught Gulf scrimps.

Royal Reds are the best shrimps in the world fite me

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Croatoan posted:

My easter prime rib is in the oven (it's probably going to take like 8 hours) and I'm making greens and yorkshire puddings. I'm debating making a béarnaise. I normally don't and let the beef shine through. Any other ideas or thoughts?

Gravy made with the beef dripping, flour, beef stock, red wine and lots of black pepper is my go to with roast beast. How could you possible make yorkshire pudding better? By adding more beef fat in the form of gravy, of course!

Bearnaise also of course makes everything better.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Croatoan posted:

I do the serious eats reverse sear method which renders almost no drippings. So I ended up with popovers instead of yorkshire puddings (basically the same thing just uses butter) Yay for juicy steak but boo for any jus. I went with the béarnaise but I absolutely should have made a horseradish sauce instead. I will do that next time. Still, it was a killer meal.

I'm sure it was delicious but to me roast beef with no drippings is totally :confused:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mustard is great. It loses flavor as it cooks though, so add it closer to the end of cooking if want a really mustardy kick. I think the vinegar in mustard is what really does a lot of the work.

A couple dashes of hot sauce/cayenne, paprika and some Worcestershire sauce really can kick cheese-saucy things up a little too. They seem to make cheddar taste more like cheddar.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thinking about making homemade pasta tonight-whats everyone’s favorite sauce with tagliatelle? I’m not going to have time to make real Bolognese which is my usual standard.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A splash of cognac really will give stuff a more complex vanilla flavor without the need for actual complex vanilla. I always add it to my whipped cream and it is delicious. Dark rum/bourbon work okay too, but cognac seems to be the most vanilla. Oak barrels have tons of very similar flavors to vanilla (and maybe they make imitation vanilla out of oak?)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there actually any difference between green and red bell pepper plants? Lowes was selling both green and red bell pepper plants, but I thought they were the same plant, just different levels of ripeness.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm trying to drink less red wine, but I really love how it pairs with food and so I'm trying to reverse engineer a wine substitute with the following properties:

*Pairs well with food in the same complex way as wine
*Wine-esque mouthfeel/body?
*No caffeine (otherwise I'd just drink black tea)
*No/minimal booze
*Not overly sweet, but I guess calories up to equivalent wine calories are fine
*I can make for a wine equivalent price (less than $10/btl)
*Keeps in the fridge okay for a while

Some suggestions I have gotten so far:
*Shrubs- I didn't know what a shrub was, but it seems to have some potential. I have never made on before, any good recipes/processes?
*Hibiscus/Rooibos tea
*Kombucha-I don't really know what this is but it sounds gross? If it's made from tea isn't it caffeinated?

My most successful experiment so far has been hibiscus tea with a splash of vinegar. Is pretty decent but maybe a little acidic and has some wine kind of notes, especially with a splash of balsamic/sherry vinegar in it, and I think will likely be my base. It lacks the wine mouthfeel/body (I tried adding milk and it curdled and turned into egg drop soup milk globs, lol), and I don't know how to get that. Maybe make some shrub syrups using the flavors from wine tasting notes (vanilla, cherry, pepper, oak sawdust? idk?!) to mix in for different flavors/pairings?

Any suggestions or if there is a better thread for this would be appreciated!

If McDonald's could make a hamburger taste like a banana and we have every flavor of fizzy water, why haven't the food/flavorings people come up with wine flavored water yet?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Doom Rooster posted:

What’s the reason for lowering the red wine intake? Alcohol, I assume?

If you like the hibiscus/vinegar and just want some body, try mixing in a tiny bit of ultratex, or liquid pectin to give just a touch of body.
Yeah 1 glass on a weeknight mysteriously seems to keep turning into 4 glasses and a headache these days.

I hadn’t even thought about non-alchoholic wine-I’ll see if I can find some somewhere.

Unfortunately I don’t really like coffee but adding some different spices in my concoction is a good idea that could be fun.

Is there a readily available (in the US) brand of kombucha y’all would recommend? It seems like it has less caffeine than black tea, but still some caffeine.

Adding the vinegar (and esp. the sherry vinegar) to the hibiscus tea really did give some of that funky ‘brown’ complex taste, but I think the acid it brought with it was a little much.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I can actually understand the collard-hate. I’ve lived in the south my whole life and really only started to like collards in the past few years and still prefer turnip or mustard greens. If all you ever had were gritty, tough, bitter, undercooked collards that were half stems they might leave a bad taste. The prewashed ones in the bag are a game changer and seem to be from younger/more tender plants Than the big bunches.

Also I made a southern food thread a few weeks ago too and there’s been some good collardchat!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919630

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Why does bacon grease/lard seem to brown stuff so much better when frying than oil/butter?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you aren’t putting butter on untoasted bread and then putting it in the toaster oven you’re living your life wrong.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SubG posted:

Anyone got opinions on vent hood brands/models? I asked over in the equipment thread but figured it's worth asking here as well. Looking for a 30" ducted under-cabinet thing to drop in and replace the microwave-over-range thing that came with the house and turns out to be a chimney lighter full of grease that's impossible to clean.

You might ask here over in DIY. I know I have seen some vent hood chat there:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&pagenumber=160#lastpost

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SubG posted:

Yeah, although onsen tamago is always cooked until the yolk is firm (or at least that's the version I'm familiar with, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were regional variations). A rere egg is literally a raw egg that's been warmed. Possibly this was originally done to replicate a raw egg still warm from being freshly laid, although this is one of those folk recipes whose existence is extremely well attested and which appears to have once been nearly ubiquitous (at least everywhere they had chickens) but for which written documentation is scarce.

There's a recipe and discussion of rere eggs in a paper from the proceedings of one of the annual Oxford Symposiums on Food and Cookery, and from the same symposium there's a paper on German sour eggs, which is a dish for which most of the contemporary written documentation appears to be this-generation amateur cooks on the internet trying to replicate a dish made by their grandmothers when they (the amateur cooks) were children in Germany. The dish appears in virtually no cookbooks (and those that do mention it do so mostly to dismiss it) and the grandmothers invariably have no recipe.

This sort of informal culinary tradition--as distinct from the "important" poo poo that gets written down, discussed at length, and extensively documented--is super loving fascinating.
Do you have a recipe/link to the paper on sour eggs by chance? Is it like a pickled egg or something else entirely?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TV Zombie posted:

Tried making a juicy lucy by using pork cutlets and frying and the results were so dry for the first time.

Also looking for good recipes for Vienna sausages since we bought it in surplus by accident.

Take out of can, put on saltines and eat? Best with an RC Cola and moon pie for dessert.

Maybe put them in some beans or something?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Croatoan posted:

I made breakfast today (WFH is awesome in that regard) and now that I've been eating pasture raised chicken eggs fed on bugs, I'll never go back to cheap, mean changed chicken eggs. Not only is it better for the birds but drat these yolks are so deep and rich it's just incredible. The yolk is orange, it's cartoony almost. Which made me think on the subject of the "organic" movement here's my takeaways so far and I know they're subjective, my experience and opinion is not universal:

Organic pasture raised eggs - Awesome
Organic milk - Awesome
Organic veg - can't really tell
Organic fruit - can't really tell
Organic yogurt - depends on the brand but I think it's more a function of better brands than "organic".
Organic cheese - I can't tell but some people swear by it.

Anything I'm missing out on in y'all's opinions?

I like organic milk but I think mainly because its ultra-pasteurized. Cream is as well and it gives a distinct taste. It makes the milk taste more like I think cream tastes so I like it better. It’s also nice that it keeps forever because I don’t drink a ton of milk.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

GrAviTy84 posted:

This smoking meat fb group I'm in has been posting something called georgia stew lately. Anyone know anything about it? I guess it's also called Brunswick stew? Recipes online look like pulled pork, chicken things, corn, potato, okra, lima beans, and tomato. Sounds like it's either really good or really bad, no in between.
It’s one of the better ways to eat squirrel, which isn’t saying much.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Machai posted:

I remember hearing about a cooking show host that would get drunk while filming, and saw some YouTube videos of her. Not Hannah Hart. Does anyone know who I am trying to think of? 90s or early 2000s I think.
One of the Two Fat Ladies is definitely usually at least slightly sauced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bogart posted:

Does anyone have a good stuffing recipe? Ideally, one that doesn't require you to cook it in the turkey because that never works, and even better, a meatless one. (Not out of ethics, so I don't mind eggs or milk or whatever, I just don't like sausage.)

Cornbread dressing is good and what I always do

E: sorry that’s not an actual recipe-I will type it up in the AM

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 22, 2020