Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1128 »
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wonder if the title Final Fantasy Type-0 HD implies that it will be coming to the PS3 as well.

From what I've played of the Japanese version, this is more of a Final Fantasy game than XIII and XIII-2 combined. I'm looking forward to playing co-op online as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Man I'm pretty disappointed with this Motorstorm game. It seems like it'd be a lot more fun if they'd gone with a Death Rally style or something more like the console games, and everything's just so tiny. Squinting at the text and keeping track of my tiny little RC car makes me feel old.

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

I wonder if the title Final Fantasy Type-0 HD implies that it will be coming to the PS3 as well.

From what I've played of the Japanese version, this is more of a Final Fantasy game than XIII and XIII-2 combined. I'm looking forward to playing co-op online as well.

I think from what I heard its more inlieu of Kingdom Hearts I think... Or at least thats what I remember hearing. Less turn based and more pewpew action.

Edit: Oh I'm dumb Final Fantasy Type-0 HD used to be Agito in case any of you remember that. It apparently got really good reviews in Japan.

ObesePriest fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2012 around 16:42

Catman Begins
Dec 1, 2004

I am the night.

I'm sure that these "leaks" are a way to generate hype for games, rather than actual mistakes.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Taking my own experiences with PR companies in to account I can assure you that 99% of the time they are mistakes.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

If I was to purchase, say, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, to see what the hype was all about... would there still be people around playing this that I could find and play it with? And if I'm the only one playing, is it the kind of game where I would need a team to fight a certain boss, or could I do it by myself/use AI?

In terms of MotorStorm, I actually like the standard control scheme. It makes sense to me, and it actually reminds me strongly of a control scheme I've played in another game before, I just can't remember which one. Alternative makes no sense at all though.

ObesePriest posted:

I think from what I heard its more inlieu of Kingdom Hearts I think... Or at least thats what I remember hearing. Less turn based and more pewpew action.

Edit: Oh I'm dumb Final Fantasy Type-0 HD used to be Agito in case any of you remember that. It apparently got really good reviews in Japan.

I have no idea what Agito is, but a quick Wiki look-up made it look like a..detective game? If there will be any drop of Kingdom Hearts and/or it's a good Final Fantasy though, I will pick it up in a heartbeat if it comes to the US (since I haven't seen anything that looks good to me since FFX).

Aaand I forgot to mention that I picked up Hot Shots Golf two days ago with the $10 off GameStop coupon, and as a non-golfer I can say that it is pretty addicting. ^^

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Vertigus posted:

Man I'm pretty disappointed with this Motorstorm game. It seems like it'd be a lot more fun if they'd gone with a Death Rally style or something more like the console games, and everything's just so tiny. Squinting at the text and keeping track of my tiny little RC car makes me feel old.

It's not a bad game but really takes some getting used to. Also I've never wanted to ragequit at a game so fast until this one. It's just ball-crushingly hard, especially when one small mistake or a corner taken a little less than perfect will basically decide whether you get the gold medal or not.

shadowobsessed posted:

If I was to purchase, say, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, to see what the hype was all about... would there still be people around playing this that I could find and play it with? And if I'm the only one playing, is it the kind of game where I would need a team to fight a certain boss, or could I do it by myself/use AI?

It's entirely doable solo but will be much easier with others, especially once you get toward the end of high rank and onto G rank where getting 1/2-shotted is not uncommon. I see people playing online on the AdHoc Party but usually high/G rank.

If you're new to MH just know there is quite a steep learning curve at first and the game can be painfully unforgoving. Start with the village elder quests (easy difficulty) to get a hang of the game and get some equipment. By then you should be able to plow through low rank.

CaptainPoopsock fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2012 around 17:37

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

shadowobsessed posted:

I have no idea what Agito is, but a quick Wiki look-up made it look like a..detective game? If there will be any drop of Kingdom Hearts and/or it's a good Final Fantasy though, I will pick it up in a heartbeat if it comes to the US (since I haven't seen anything that looks good to me since FFX).

Aaand I forgot to mention that I picked up Hot Shots Golf two days ago with the $10 off GameStop coupon, and as a non-golfer I can say that it is pretty addicting. ^^

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Type-0

Don't worry! I got your back unless this is the wiki article that you looked up.

quote:

The battle system in the game is a new evolution of the "ATB Kai" system created by Takatsugu Nakazawa for Final Fantasy X-2, and later refined in Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-. Unlike Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-, the combat in Final Fantasy Type-0 is party-based. Instead of navigating through menus, actions are mapped directly to the face buttons for quick access. Nakazawa says he wants it to be the fastest version of ATB ever created. It also supports both Ad-hoc multiplayer for up to three players, and online Square Enix membership connection.

Oh I guess it still is kind of turn based? Multiplayer should be rad though.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

ObesePriest posted:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Type-0

Don't worry! I got your back unless this is the wiki article that you looked up.

Oh I guess it still is kind of turn based? Multiplayer should be rad though.

Oh, thank you. I hope, since that's originally for the PSP, that it will still retain the ad-hoc multiplayer. However, since you make moves as a party, how will people be able to fight within multiplayer individually? That doesn't make much sense to me so there's probably something I'm missing. I also haven't played XIII (stayed far away from it, in fact) and I am wondering if I will miss a lot of things by playing this game, since they're linked in the same 'universe'. It looks interesting though and I'll definitely keep my eye on it! Now if only they could port Theatrhythm to the Vita...

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

shadowobsessed posted:

Oh, thank you. I hope, since that's originally for the PSP, that it will still retain the ad-hoc multiplayer. However, since you make moves as a party, how will people be able to fight within multiplayer individually? That doesn't make much sense to me so there's probably something I'm missing. I also haven't played XIII (stayed far away from it, in fact) and I am wondering if I will miss a lot of things by playing this game, since they're linked in the same 'universe'. It looks interesting though and I'll definitely keep my eye on it! Now if only they could port Theatrhythm to the Vita...

Well, if it's for Vita, and they ONLY do ad-hoc multiplayer, I'll be furious. There's no reason in this day and age not to put infrastructure multiplayer into every game that utilizes multiplayer.

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010

I may be crazy, but I think the EU PSN store just updated. There's a new section called Price Drops and has a bunch of PSP games on there.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

I played Dissidia (1) and Kenka Bancho last night. I bought both of them for the psp and ended up not playing them much. KB is hilarious, Dissidia is pretty cool.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005

mrbasehart posted:

I may be crazy, but I think the EU PSN store just updated. There's a new section called Price Drops and has a bunch of PSP games on there.
Holy poo poo, you're not kidding.

Manhunt 2 6.49
THE WARRIORS 6.49
BIGS 2 7.99
Major League Baseball 2K9 6.49
BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2 15.99
Gladiator Begins 8.79
Blazeblue Calamity Trigger Portable 8.79
Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus 8.79
Castle Rustle 7.99
Pro Cycling 2010 - Tour De France 7.99
Pro Cycling 2009 - Tour De France 7.99
BLOOD BOWL 7.99
Crystal Mines 7.99
Rugby League Challenge 7.99
101-in-1 Megamix 7.99
Mytran Wars 7.99
Free Running 15.99
Half Minute Hero 9.99
Valhalla Knights 2 7.99
Innocent Life 7.19
Valhalla Knights 5.19
Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance 8.99
Myst 7.99
The Red Star 7.99
Corpse Party 7.99
Ys: The Oath in Felghana 7.99
Ys SEVEN 7.99
Ys I & II Chronicles 7.99
TOMB RAIDER: LEGEND 7.99
GOD EATER BURST 7.99
Despicable Me 7.99
Ace Combat Joint Assault 7.99
Ben 10 Alien Force: Vilgax Attacks 7.99
Ben 10: Protector of Earth 7.99
METAL SLUG XX 7.99
NEOGEO HEROES Ultimate Shooting 7.99
Armored Core Silent Line Portable 7.29
ARMORED CORE Last Raven Portable 7.29
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony 9.99
Warriors Orochi 2 15.99
Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce 15.99
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 7.99
Bakugan: Defenders of the Core 7.99
Michael Jacksons The Experience 7.99
Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands 7.99
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Predator 7.99
Cover Girl 7.99
Chessmaster: The Art of Learning 7.99
Prince of Persia Rival Swords 7.99
Street Riders 7.99
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance 7.99
Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle 7.99
Prinny 2 7.99
Z.H.P 11.99
Disgaea Infinite 7.99
CLADUN: This is an RPG! 7.99

Davish Krail
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

If you're struggling with the handling in Motorstorm, be sure to set the camera to "Aerial". It gives you the most ability to see turns coming and doesn't twist: the fact that they'd have the default camera rotate even the slightest bit is a ball-numbingly stupid move. When the game is about precision turning and memorizing the track, youcant have the camera actively interfering with your steering and sense of direction.

I really, really love Motorstorm. I would've gladly forked over for it but as a free game I suspect I'll get more play from it than I will with Wipeout, which I also just picked up this week.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Jignx posted:

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD wasn't the only game just listed on play.com....

MHP3 listing is real, everything else, not so much (though that doesn't mean they won't happen).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ice-city-nights

quote:

Errrrrr, I work for Play.com, I've just checked our system and the only one of these that we have on our systems is Monster Hunter 3. The others are mock-ups some scamp has made using the Monster Hunter listing as a template.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... someone is having a bit of fun at everyone's expense!

"Professional" gaming "journalism" - an anonymous source sending you an easily faked picture is an actual news story.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Man I was genuinely excited

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I AM THE REASON SHITTY AFN COMMERCIALS EXIST

Can this thing do video chat with a pc or other device? There is not much mention beyond the pre-release speculation out there and Sony's website is very uninformative.

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

The best thing would be a Saints Row 4 for Vita. OH GOOOODDD OH GOOODD UGHH

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

FoneBone posted:

"Professional" gaming "journalism" - an anonymous source sending you an easily faked picture is an actual news story.
Sounds like someone playing damage control. I'll still hold out hope!

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Ugh. I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Dissidia 012: Duodecim. It seems like a deal at half-off... and I liked FF:V (the only FF I've played).

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Can this thing do video chat with a pc or other device? There is not much mention beyond the pre-release speculation out there and Sony's website is very uninformative.

Skype is coming. No official release date. There has been no official word on video nor audio chat.

IRSmurf fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2012 around 19:34

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

IRSmurf posted:

Ugh. I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Dissidia 012: Duodecim. It seems like a deal at half-off... and I liked FF:V (the only FF I've played).

It's a pretty fun game. I sunk a lot of hours into it but if you dont like sinking time into games like street fighter and Blazblu. I dont know how long this game will hold you for. It has an actual campaign to play through but that's not saying much.

It seems like if you don't buy it; you wont miss it much. DONT DO IT!

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

IRSmurf posted:

Ugh. I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Dissidia 012: Duodecim. It seems like a deal at half-off
same for me, although I don't have PS+ so it's $20. I'm not a big fan of fighting games but I hear so many good things about it and how it is definitely not a pure fighting game.

UGH

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

same for me, although I don't have PS+ so it's $20. I'm not a big fan of fighting games but I hear so many good things about it and how it is definitely not a pure fighting game.

UGH

Yeah but it kind of like Mass Effect isn't a pure shooter but if you don't play shooters much then... yeah.. Though mass effect is a bit different cause STORY and "reapers"

Edit: "reapers"

ObesePriest fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2012 around 20:27

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Well I am loving MotorStorm RC so far. Needed to fiddle with the controls to find something to suit me, but it's a wonderful little timewaster. It's a bit of a shame that the aerial camera is the only viable one for racing as it lacks the eye candy of the others, but even so I had a lot of fun in the little test run I gave the game. The constant updates about friend times and leaderboards make it very interactive even without live online multiplayer.

I really like how they handle ghost times, someone earlier mentioned they just show an arrow rather than a car. No no no, they show the user's avatar instead of a car, and these are dynamically updated as you rise up the leaderboards. Already I've found myself ignoring later events just so I can retry early races to try and take the top spot, and seeing the avatars change as I slowly work my way up the goon leaderboard really gives me a sense of who it is I'm currently trying to beat.

Also the bragging rights are well built in too, I beat Policenaut's ghost lap and took top spot on a leaderboard for one race. That got me the "Ghost busted" trophy for beating someone higher than me and I was able to send a challenge message to him from within the game.

The only thing I don't yet know is how it handles offline play, if it will save the laps and upload them all later when you next go online. I imagine it will, but I would hate to play this game without a wifi connection as all the interactivity is what gives it its real hook.

I would gladly have bought this, this is a perfect little arcade racer for short burst gaming. There are medals to chase, trophies to chase, and even once you get all those there will always be the leaderboard positions and ghost laps to chase. All the replayability you could ever need right there.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

I've been staring at the Vita games in the store for the last half hour trying to decide what to buy. How's MLB 12 The Show? Also, has Unit 13 been enjoyable as a full game? It seems like it has a decent amount of content, is that really true or what?

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

MLB 12 The Show is the best American baseball game around*, and the Vita version feels just like a mini-PS3 copy. Controls great, online features, in-game saves, its glorious.

I would advise NOT buying sport games digital though due to their annual release scheduel.

* The best baseball game is Konami's Pro Yakyu Spirits, which also will be out on the Vita in March. Its all Japanese but its even better than the Show.

That's great to hear. See, I don't really mind buying it digitally because I probably wouldn't end up reselling it when the next one comes out. I don't mind playing an outdated one, and if some awesome new feature comes around I wouldn't mind paying again. Thanks for the info!

Autism fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2012 around 20:58

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

RON PAUL ALL YEARS posted:

I've been staring at the Vita games in the store for the last half hour trying to decide what to buy. How's MLB 12 The Show?

MLB 12 The Show is the best American baseball game around*, and the Vita version feels just like a mini-PS3 copy. Controls great, online features, in-game saves, its glorious.

I would advise NOT buying sport games digital though due to their annual release scheduel.

* The best baseball game is Konami's Pro Yakyu Spirits, which also will be out on the Vita in March. Its all Japanese but its even better than the Show.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

Also the game clocks in at 2.8 Gigs. I have a 32 Gig card and am still glad I got it retail.

Freaksaus
Jun 12, 2007

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

I'm sorry but the best baseball game will always be 98 Koshien

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbYYJF0c4VA

Freaksaus fucked around with this message at Mar 7, 2012 around 21:23

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

slurp

I've been staring at the Vita games in the store for the last half hour trying to decide what to buy. How's MLB 12 The Show? Also, has Unit 13 been enjoyable as a full game? It seems like it has a decent amount of content, is that really true or what?

That's great to hear. See, I don't really mind buying it digitally because I probably wouldn't end up reselling it when the next one comes out. I don't mind playing an outdated one, and if some awesome new feature comes around I wouldn't mind paying again. Thanks for the info!

Chiming in, MLB 12 The show is great game, a lot more than I was expecting from a portable. The Vita has a whole hell of a lot more potential under the hood then I gave it credit for.

Its also massive. Kinda wish I bought a physical copy but Ill probably just keep a copy of the application on my computer so I can delete it and download it again if I need room for something else.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

Game currently not available on

Also, has Unit 13 been enjoyable as a full game?

I don't know if I would impulse buy it again or suggest people to buy it, I still have to make it "click" and only one mission is still not sufficient for me to understand the game and implications of my actions on the game flow.

Surely it handles way better than Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, and it has some surprises in its sleeve rather than "omg zombies and more zombies".
I certainly like the change of pace from the various single-player "get from point A to point B" FPS games I used to play on PC.

It seems like it has a decent amount of content, is that really true or what?

It has 36 base missions and various "dynamic" missions with random objectives in the same maps. It will also have a randomly chosen daily mission, you only have one attempt / life at cracking it.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I wish Wipeout had a time played statistic so I could see how much time I've sank into this bloody game already. What kind of ghetto stats screen doesn't track time played anyway?

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

limaCAT posted:

I don't know if I would impulse buy it again or suggest people to buy it, I still have to make it "click" and only one mission is still not sufficient for me to understand the game and implications of my actions on the game flow.

Surely it handles way better than Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, and it has some surprises in its sleeve rather than "omg zombies and more zombies".
I certainly like the change of pace from the various single-player "get from point A to point B" FPS games I used to play on PC.

It has 36 base missions and various "dynamic" missions with random objectives in the same maps. It will also have a randomly chosen daily mission, you only have one attempt / life at cracking it.

I sent you a friend request (PlainZombie), I won't get my copy until tomorrow but if you want to try some co-op I'd be down.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

quahog_convo posted:

Yeah, the first DW game you play is always the best one. ALWAYS.

I must chime in to disagree, the first DW game I played was the universally reviled (okay, that's an exaggeration, but most fans were more or less disappointed by it) DW6. Still, it got me interested enough for me to look into the series as a whole, and boy am I glad that I did.

Belzac
Mar 19, 2008

The blight of true sacrifice...

Scyther posted:

I must chime in to disagree, the first DW game I played was the universally reviled (okay, that's an exaggeration, but most fans were more or less disappointed by it) DW6. Still, it got me interested enough for me to look into the series as a whole, and boy am I glad that I did.

6 was the worst for gameplay but it did a lot to bring the series production values. DW is one of those games that either works for you or it doesn't. It works for me and I'm having a ton of fun with Next.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

I impulse bought MLB 12 The Show, and I have no idea what I'm doing. Any advice? I enjoy franchise sports games (NHL games are awesome, for example) and enjoy playing baseball (although I hate watching or following sports on TV so I have no idea who people are or even what the teams are really). Was kind of surprised there's no in-game help or tutorial of any kind that I can find.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

I re-assigned my button in Motorstorm RC: Brake/Reverse - Left Bumper, Accelerate - Right Bumper

I'm using trigger grips, so it's like playing on an XBOX 360 controller. This is awesome.

I have a new complaint about Vita, though. There is a large delay in stereo bluetooth. The delay is probably 1/4 second, which is very noticeable. It's annoying when playing Unit 13. My gun's fire action and firing sound are most definitely out of sync.

IRSmurf fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2012 around 00:09

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

FoneBone posted:

MHP3 listing is real, everything else, not so much (though that doesn't mean they won't happen).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ice-city-nights

Hey, sweet. Monster Hunter is real! Christmas in March!

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

ObesePriest posted:

It's a pretty fun game. I sunk a lot of hours into it but if you dont like sinking time into games like street fighter and Blazblu. I dont know how long this game will hold you for. It has an actual campaign to play through but that's not saying much.

It seems like if you don't buy it; you wont miss it much. DONT DO IT!

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

UGH

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to skip it. Since I just bought Unit 13 and downloaded Motorstorm RC, I don't have time for Dissidia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Things are going to be okay.

Dissidia also sounds like a venereal disease. I'll pass.

«1128 »