Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1180 »
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

He's always
right there.

Got to the GOld Round in Hot Shots Golf, and now I'm officially done. I finally found a character I liked, got through all but one Silver challenge (gently caress Legacy of Golf. I only won the bottom 9 by mistake), and now the Gold rounds are all special round, and "Real Golf Mode". So I'm done. I'm going back to Shinobido, or maybe Uncharted. It's been a fun ride, HSG, but I'm at my limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh

Picked up one a month ago with Uncharted, Rayman Origins, Super Stardust Delta, and Hot Shots Golf.

Absolutely love it. My only complaint so far is the live screen refreshing and I had the system freeze up once. Aside from that, I'm way happier with this than I was with the 3DS.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Leyburn posted:

Tactics Ogre is destroying all my free time. Why are you so addictive?!

Buying this game was a big mistake.

This is how I feel about Dissidia 012. The worst part is that you now have me very intrigued about Tactics Ogre.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

thetrin posted:

Seriously. PSO2 is going to ruin my life, and I just want to know WHEN.

I am intrigued by the idea of an MMO or MMO-inspired game on Vita. PSO was good and all, but I would be more interested in something like Guild Wars Vita.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

"My brother has a couple Super Bowl rings and he loves Tom Brady. I don't like Tom Brady"

SpacePig posted:

Got to the GOld Round in Hot Shots Golf, and now I'm officially done. I finally found a character I liked, got through all but one Silver challenge (gently caress Legacy of Golf. I only won the bottom 9 by mistake), and now the Gold rounds are all special round, and "Real Golf Mode". So I'm done. I'm going back to Shinobido, or maybe Uncharted. It's been a fun ride, HSG, but I'm at my limit.

DON"T QUIT NOW! I just finished up the Gold challenges and got the end credits interspersed with videos of some really neat trick shots and holes in one. I was actually a little surpised that I got the endgame credits for completing Gold challenges: there's a Platinum level of challenges to be done!

As for Legacy of Golf: yes it's very challenging and you will fail on it repeatedly. But once you know where and when to take risky shots it's not that difficult. Real Golf mode was a pain but my advice there is to hit SELECT to see a blimp view of the hole. Pick a target like a tree or something and make that your target; you won't even miss the normal aiming system. Obviously, putting in Real Gold Mode can and will be infuriating. Just make sure you hit nice drives and approaches then don't really adjust for putting at all. Aim right into the middle of the cup. I find that approach is better than trying to read the greens (which really isn't possible, as great as the graphics are, its almost impossible to see the lie of the green with the naked eye)

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

strategery posted:

I am intrigued by the idea of an MMO or MMO-inspired game on Vita. PSO was good and all, but I would be more interested in something like Guild Wars Vita.

Handheld MMOs would awful. I would never do anything else.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting

I really, really want Ragnarok Odyssey but I really, really want to be able to understand wtf is going on and I know 0 Japanese

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

He's always
right there.

The Piper posted:

DON"T QUIT NOW! I just finished up the Gold challenges and got the end credits interspersed with videos of some really neat trick shots and holes in one. I was actually a little surpised that I got the endgame credits for completing Gold challenges: there's a Platinum level of challenges to be done!

As for Legacy of Golf: yes it's very challenging and you will fail on it repeatedly. But once you know where and when to take risky shots it's not that difficult. Real Golf mode was a pain but my advice there is to hit SELECT to see a blimp view of the hole. Pick a target like a tree or something and make that your target; you won't even miss the normal aiming system. Obviously, putting in Real Gold Mode can and will be infuriating. Just make sure you hit nice drives and approaches then don't really adjust for putting at all. Aim right into the middle of the cup. I find that approach is better than trying to read the greens (which really isn't possible, as great as the graphics are, its almost impossible to see the lie of the green with the naked eye)

I'll likely go back to it evntually, but Legacy of Golf really just steams my buns. Even if I play a hole perfectly until I'm on the green, I'm so bad at putting that the erratic roll of most of the greens put me back into the rough, or even the water hazard in several holes. The Real Golf mode just made it worse, and I think I got out of the first hole with a +4.

I'm not saying I'm not having fun by any stretch. I really like it a lot, and have dedicated more time to it than I care to admit. I just haven't adjusted the way the game thinks I should have, and am apparently not that good at it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

flyboi posted:

I really, really want Ragnarok Odyssey but I really, really want to be able to understand wtf is going on and I know 0 Japanese

Ragnarok Odyssey seems like the kind of game that wouldn't get passed over for American release. A meaty action RPG that supports up to 4 players online with continuous updates? I wouldn't be surprised to see it get announced at E3 this year.

On XSEED's website, there's a very large effort (apparently) to get the game noticed for localization. This company also localized another Vita game: "Sumioni: Demon Arts" and they even have a prior history with developers Game Arts, as XSEED localized the Lunar PSP remake. The group that made RO also is aware that people want the game in the West so there's some traction there.

I'd hold on until E3. If it doesn't get announced there, I'd start looking for translation guides.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting

Policenaut posted:

Ragnarok Odyssey seems like the kind of game that wouldn't get passed over for American release. A meaty action RPG that supports up to 4 players online with continuous updates? I wouldn't be surprised to see it get announced at E3 this year.

On XSEED's website, there's a very large effort (apparently) to get the game noticed for localization. This company also localized another Vita game: "Sumioni: Demon Arts" and they even have a prior history with developers Game Arts, as XSEED localized the Lunar PSP remake. The group that made RO also is aware that people want the game in the West so there's some traction there.

I'd hold on until E3. If it doesn't get announced there, I'd start looking for translation guides.

https://twitter.com/#!/GA_Express/s...092594291212288

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

This is how I feel about Dissidia 012. The worst part is that you now have me very intrigued about Tactics Ogre.

If you enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics, then you must get TO.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Oozin along on your livinroom floor

thetrin posted:

Handheld MMOs would awful. I would never do anything else.

I mean you wouldn't even have to stop playing to take a dump. Or find a sock.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

5er posted:

It's really astonishing how polished and in depth it is. I just went into the Warren's Report section for the first time about 16 hours into the game and it's a treasure trove of story details, and I think I've been missing out on side missions by not going in here sooner.

I was also about 7 hours in before I realised I could spend my Skill Points, boy was that an exciting moment .

The game is like crack.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

5er posted:

Just bought FFT on sale. I've tried that game a couple times but for $6.99 I'll give it another shot. I feel like it ramps up into hardcore strategy too quickly but we'll see.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

At riht's request, I've translated the online multiplayer menus for you guys. This should help people with little Japanese knowledge to get into games.

To initiate an online multiplayer game, go to the pub to the far left, and the following menu will appear:

Please ask away with any translation questions.

In my opinion, no one is using the "room type" heading that much, so there's no point in figuring out what they mean.

Also, even if someone chooses a chapter and quest when making the room, that may not ACTUALLY be the quest they're doing. That's just a filter for people to find a game easier. People could set the quest to 9-8, and be doing quests in Chapter 3.

thetrin fucked around with this message at Mar 26, 2012 around 21:44

Bar Mitzvah
Feb 24, 2009

What's the consensus - is FFT War of the Lions better than FFT vanilla?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The War of the Lions has more content but it plays worse than Vanilla. Look up some battle gameplay videos on YouTube and decide for yourself if that's worth suffering through for more content/better translation

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

2012 posted:

Yes by a ridiculous margin. The slowdown during abilities/magic spells is not bad enough to warrant skipping the remake. It is an overblown problem.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting

Is Sumioni: Demon Arts any good? Only reviews up seem to paint it to be absolutely horrible.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Stupid question-- PSO2 being free to play, this still means you have to buy the game, right? It's not like those free MMORPGs for pc, right?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting

Soul Glo posted:

Stupid question-- PSO2 being free to play, this still means you have to buy the game, right? It's not like those free MMORPGs for pc, right?

Correct.

Darke
Jun 21, 2003

If the soul still burns, you're not cooking it right.

Vertigus posted:

I think I'm done with Dynasty Warriors until they release a patch that cuts out some of the touch-screen stuff. I love the game to bits, but not when it's interrupted by a 2-minute long touch sequence that I can ace every time if I'm not so bored that I make a mistake trying to get it to end faster.

I'm the same way, but with the forced dual touchscreen idiocy. Part of me doubts they'll ever patch it though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

According to the media briefing, you'll be able to download the client directly off the PSN for free.

I figure Sega's going to be approaching Phantasy Star Online 2 on Vita the same way that they are for Samurai & Dragons, their other PS Vita pseudo-MMO. The PSN release will be free but there will also be a physical retail release of the game, which will include a hefty amount of vouchers for cash shop items (typically worth the amount of money you spent on the retail version)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Policenaut posted:

According to the media briefing, you'll be able to download the client directly off the PSN for free.

I figure Sega's going to be approaching Phantasy Star Online 2 on Vita the same way that they are for Samurai & Dragons, their other PS Vita pseudo-MMO. The PSN release will be free but there will also be a physical retail release of the game, which will include a hefty amount of vouchers for cash shop items (typically worth the amount of money you spent on the retail version)

Wow. Man, if they don't release this game in NA, I really think I might cry about it and write some mean letters.

Pleeeeaaase let this work on the PS3 via Cross Play.

xephon
Oct 13, 2004

Unit 13 really needs to have a patch to give us 4v4 or something in terms of multiplayer that alone would justify the purchase.

Edited for contribution.

xephon fucked around with this message at Mar 27, 2012 around 02:54

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

2012 posted:

War of the Lions has an absolutely fantastic translation. I never knew what the hell was going on in regular FFT, but there's actually a fairly nuanced and intriguing story going on in the background of your little bobblehead brigade stabbing people. I also know pre-rendered cutscenes have been passe` since the PSX era, but the ones in War of the Lions are really well done.

Captain Novolin
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Soul Glo posted:

Wow. Man, if they don't release this game in NA, I really think I might cry about it and write some mean letters.

Pleeeeaaase let this work on the PS3 via Cross Play.

At the very least they've said it will work with the PC version.

Shlapintogan
Jul 15, 2011

HAW

Darke posted:

I'm the same way, but with the forced dual touchscreen idiocy. Part of me doubts they'll ever patch it though.

The only thing that really bugs me about duels is that they take forever because the game is hellbent on giving every enemy officer so much health. They'd be less tedious if either A) you did more damage, B) the enemy had less health, or C) the enemy would stop charging so goddamn much and just let me hit them for once.

I'm still loving it to death, but going through certain campaign stages on hard and chaos to get some of the items and such is going to be a tremendous pain in the rear end when every officer has billions of points of health.

In any case, that's the last thing in my mind right now because I just picked up Rayman Origins (finally)! This should hold me over for a little while. If not until Gravity Rush, then at least until Xenoblade Chronicles hits the states.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

flyboi posted:

Correct.

Nope. It's going to be free to download. This is the same with Samurai & Dragons. Free download via PSN.

Btw, flyboi, I totally recommend you get Ragnarok Odyssey. If you're concerned about not being able to understand Japanese, I can translate some simple stuff for you that would make things easier.

thetrin fucked around with this message at Mar 27, 2012 around 04:12

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Speaking of Game Arts, today in Famitsu they just announced their next game

Click the picture to read more. Scans coming sometime soon.

prismeclipser
May 2, 2008

Okay, so, I just finished Touch My Katamari, and I want to type up a review on it because I'm really disappointed. As a reference, I'm going to be comparing it to the psp katamari, Me and My Katamari, that I beat just a week before buying Touch My Katamari.

Touch My Katamari has lousy music, a lovely side-story, and the most disappointing end level that I've played in this series. As a contrast is the psp vita version, that has an amazing side story detailing how the King became King and the Prince's mother, great music, and I enjoyed the end level. Towards the 10 meters in the game, everything is loosely placed so you really kind of struggle to get up to size. In the psp, I could go in many separate ways to get up to speed, and could go into houses and side paths. The ps vita lacks this. Also, a lot of the time, there was only one path of items to take, and it wouldn't put you in randomized spots, so this one path was how the developer planned for you to go.

Did I mention the music sucks? There's DLC that includes a lot of music, but I'm not going to put down 8 dollars when there's a lot of other issues in the game. Sure, there's lots of collectibles, and the urge to get candy to dress the King up in goofy clothes, but I'd rather go back to the psp version. And the guy in the cut scenes also voice acts a lot of the characters you pick up, so if his voice annoys you, well, you're going to hear it a lot. The back pad is really oversensitive to this game, and I found myself constantly making the katamari ball either too horizontal or too vertical. I know you can just tap it to make it the regular size, but a lot of the time my nails would hit the pad and cause the sensor to freak out.

Granted, the second stick makes up for a lot of controlling issues of the psp version, but when you can get it on the vita, just slap the buttons on that second stick and enjoy. That end level really just left a sour taste in my mouth after dealing with the poor quality side story and bad music. PS hope you like grinding because on average you get 20 candy and you need 200 to unlock most of the stuff in the stores, and while you can get all the curios to get 200 and stack candy tickets to get 1600 candy, you shouldn't have to game the system so hard when you just want to play eternal mode. Also curios and cousins and presents are a one shot deal, so if you don't get any candy tickets like I did, you'll be rolling that ball for a long time.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Oozin along on your livinroom floor

prismeclipser posted:

PS hope you like grinding because on average you get 20 candy and you need 200 to unlock most of the stuff in the stores, and while you can get all the curios to get 200 and stack candy tickets to get 1600 candy, you shouldn't have to game the system so hard when you just want to play eternal mode. Also curios and cousins and presents are a one shot deal, so if you don't get any candy tickets like I did, you'll be rolling that ball for a long time.

You don't even know the half of it. I'm stuck on the last item which costs 72,500 candies And the king quit giving out candy tickets for some reason.

AntiTheist
Feb 25, 2011

The Piper posted:

How do you unlock the platinum challenges? I have everything completed but they are still not available.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

Mr. Intensity

AntiTheist posted:

How do you unlock the platinum challenges? I have everything completed but they are still not available.

You need to clear the gold level challenge, it should unlock after you defeat Pandora. You'll need a lot of stars and crowns (VS 2 only) though, since the platinum challenge is literally just a VS 1, and VS 2 match.

AntiTheist
Feb 25, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

You need to clear the gold level challenge, it should unlock after you defeat Pandora. You'll need a lot of stars and crowns (VS 2 only) though, since the platinum challenge is literally just a VS 1, and VS 2 match.

I beat the game and saw the credits- still no platinum levels. Is it because I used easy mode on a few levels?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

Mr. Intensity

AntiTheist posted:

I beat the game and saw the credits- still no platinum levels. Is it because I used easy mode on a few levels?

Can you press triangle, and take a picture of this screen (its on the challenge menu), and find a way to upload it here? (Flickr or twitter or something)

e: You will not need all the crowns to unlock platinum level. You will need every crown but one for Vs Match 2 however. That one crown being the 2nd platinum vs match.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at Mar 27, 2012 around 14:00

AntiTheist
Feb 25, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

Can you press triangle, and take a picture of this screen, and find a way to upload it here? (Flickr or twitter or something)

Wait- I think I get what you are saying now. The 1-7 aren't actually levels, it's just vs. Sorry, I was being dense.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

He's always
right there.

DarkstarIV posted:

Can you press triangle, and take a picture of this screen, and find a way to upload it here? (Flickr or twitter or something)

e: You will not need all the crowns to unlock platinum level. You will need every crown but one for Vs Match 2 however. That one crown being the 2nd platinum vs match.

This picture makes me angry. I have maybe 5 crowns, and 17th, 13th, 20th, blank, and 6th for my gold-rank challenges. I can't stop playing, though. I've tried.

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010

Wait...There are crowns on EVERY level?!? gently caress!

Tip for people who want to grind in Touch My Katamari - I've found the best level to get a decent amount of candies quickly is the Cow/Bear one. If you have even a small multiplier, you can get 90-120 candies from a minute or so rolling around. I've had quite a few Fan Damacies appear too, and as they always appear in the same place (rolling around the track) it's quite easy to stay off to the side and roll over it as it comes close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

I traded in Katamari today since there really isn't much to do except replay levels. Fun game, though.

Shinobido 2 is interesting. I think I like it. The camera's way too sensitive, I keep looking straight up or straight down every time I try to adjust.

«1180 »