Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1127 »
ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

BGrifter posted:

I only mention it because so many goons seem unaware of how amazing the last couple years of the PSP's life were. So many good games, those five are just the AAA cream of the crop titles.

It is so true. If you like JRPGs really should add Trails in the Sky to that list as well.

My psp purchases to hold me over between vita titles will probably be FFT (finally) and ValkC 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

PSN: Troffen http://www.klaver.co.uk/ps3goons/index.php?u=155

Not getting my Vita till next week but let's all golf it up then

e: On the topic of must-have psp games, everybody go buy Ys Seven/OiF.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

The OP mentions remote play PS3 games. I didnt think this was really possible, short of hacking it. Does the vita really support that or is it just possible to code it into a ps3 game? or none of the above?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

ChiTownEddie posted:

It is so true. If you like JRPGs really should add Trails in the Sky to that list as well.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't that list entirely JRPGs anyway?

Are the PSP Ratchet & Clank games good?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't that the one they're remaking? A localization hasn't been announced but you may want to hold off.

It's still a great game if you can't wait.

Shlapintogan
Jul 15, 2011

HAW

PSN: Shlapintogan.

I just realized how small my PS3 collection is...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title

Leyburn posted:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't that list entirely JRPGs anyway?

Are the PSP Ratchet & Clank games good?

Persona 3 is a JRPG. Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics and Valkyria Chronicles 2 are SRPGs. Monster Hunter is... Monster Hunter.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

I've never played a Hot Shots Golf game before... so what should I expect?

Jon93
Jan 31, 2008

That's cool.

Oh maaaaaan, I had just broken my gadget lust for the PSV and then I had to go and read the OP. Sony should be paying Policenaut because I'm pretty sure his amazing OP resold me on a Vita.

That and Persona 4: The Golden, I have a feeling I'll be buying a Vita just for that game should it come over here to the states.

But one of the main reasons I want the Vita is to play all the great PSP games I missed on the bigger screen. If Sony were able to get some sort of PS2 emulation going in a similar way to how the PSP did PSX games I would have already pre-ordered.

Half the fun of my PSP-1000 is digging through my PSX collection and converting them over to the PSP. I'm sure Sony would want me to re-buy all my PS2 games through PSN though, but gently caress that noise I'd hold out for Popstation 2 or some other homebrew shadiness.

Porter Flounder
May 10, 2005

I <3 Kitano

Policenaut posted:

I find it amazing that basically everyone is buying Hot Shots Golf. When Vita was still in the distant future, everyone was going on and on about Uncharted or whatnot but now that we're less than 24 hours away from launch everyone's going HOT HOT HOT

FORE!

I'll be waiting for a price drop on Uncharted for sure. Hot Shots Golf is just plain awesome. Easy to pick up and go. A decent amount of unlocks. When I had my PSP1000 I had the original HSG, when I picked up a PSP3000 last year I made sure to buy HSG: Open Tee 2. Now with my Vita arriving tomorrow I already have HSG: WI waiting to play! It's going to be amazing. I had to stop playing 2 recently as to not get burned out. Hard, but will be totally worth it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

"Some day coach I'm going to throw 6 TD's in a Super Bowl"

"Sit your ass down Steve"

So I know this was talked about a lot already but how easy is it going to be to switch PSN accounts on the Vita? Both me and my wife have games we ordered for it and I would rather not play all my games under her account if possible. How hard is it to switch between them and what do I lose even if I back up all my games?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Would anyone mind if I added all of the launch games to the PS3goons site or is someone else in the process?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

He's always
right there.

Hot Shots Golf is less than I thought it was.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the discussion of PSP games on Vita, I was actually thinking about this myself while thumbing through the USA selection of titles earlier today. What would everyone say would be games that would be totally improved on Vita with the new digital (for PSP games) right analog stick and bigger screen?

strategery posted:

The OP mentions remote play PS3 games. I didnt think this was really possible, short of hacking it. Does the vita really support that or is it just possible to code it into a ps3 game? or none of the above?

Vita supports PS3 Remote Play in a similar way the PSP could. From what I understand, only certain games work through it but Sony hasn't released a list. I have seen videos though on YouTube of people playing stuff like Battlefield 3 through it so it must have some pretty good capability.

Boinks posted:

Well crap, it wont let me put in the billing info without credit card info. Guess I'll wait until I get my Vita and see if it lets me log into the device.

Unless Sony has drastically changed the system since I last checked, you should be just fine logging in on a PlayStation device. I have three foreign region PSN accounts on my PS3 without credit card information and I can log into them just fine.

charismaslover posted:

Would anyone mind if I added all of the launch games to the PS3goons site or is someone else in the process?

Go for it. It'd probably make things a lot easier, just be sure to use the form just in case anything goes wrong.

Red Valtar posted:

So I know this was talked about a lot already but how easy is it going to be to switch PSN accounts on the Vita? Both me and my wife have games we ordered for it and I would rather not play all my games under her account if possible. How hard is it to switch between them and what do I lose even if I back up all my games?

As far as I understand it, you just go to the System Settings under Options and "Reinitalize" the Vita to clear the active PSN account registered to the Vita. After that, you simply log in to the PSN account you want to activate on the Vita. It's similar to the PSP's procedure.

From what I've read from import reviews, Reinitalizing clears all Near data.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

Policenaut posted:

On the discussion of PSP games on Vita, I was actually thinking about this myself while thumbing through the USA selection of titles earlier today. What would everyone say would be games that would be totally improved on Vita with the new digital (for PSP games) right analog stick and bigger screen?

Peace Walker and Monster Hunter. No contest.

Mechathief
Apr 21, 2008

Our organization offers ample room for advancement and recognizes employees for outstanding performance and loyalty.

Alright, the ridiculously well-made OP and discussion in here has swayed me; pre-ordered the $299 bundle, and bought Uncharted and Wipeout today. Waiting until the 22nd, though. Looking forward to it!

PSN: TheRealFrunk

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

To keep this Hot Shots bandwagon going, let me put out a little reminder to my fellow Canada Goons getting ready for tomorrow (or the 22nd)

Future Shop is selling Hot Shots Golf at the USA retail price of $30 as opposed to other stores like EB Games/GameStop who are selling it at $40. So if you live in a city with a Future Shop and want Hot Shots, you should swing by there. I'm going straight over in the morning after I grab my Vita to get it!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

Mr. Intensity

So just out of curiosity, who here pre-ordered the FEB? I decided I would wait, because by time Amazon got it to me, the WiFi edition would be out.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

So is the FEB bundle worth it over waiting a week for the 3G + 8GB card or should I just wait? I've got a pre-order available to me but wasn't what I had intended on pre-ordering.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I don't mean to be greedy, but they're my favorite.

PSN: Dryzen

The worst part about them doing the FEB is that I've already gotten the games and memory card, so they just sit on my desk and make me wish it was next week already.

Porter Flounder
May 10, 2005

I <3 Kitano

DarkstarIV posted:

So just out of curiosity, who here pre-ordered the FEB? I decided I would wait, because by time Amazon got it to me, the WiFi edition would be out.

I did. Mainly because it fell perfectly in line with the start of my vacation tomorrow. Hoping to get it no later than the early afternoon. Waking up to wait some more is going to be tough.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hell yes, VideoGamesPlus just shipped my 32GB card a week early. Guess I should be playing my Vita by the end of the month. Everyone in PAL territories needing a 32GB card, go to http://www.videogamesplus.ca

Three Pixel
Jun 13, 2003

In space no one can hear your anime stare downs.

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

So is the FEB bundle worth it over waiting a week for the 3G + 8GB card or should I just wait? I've got a pre-order available to me but wasn't what I had intended on pre-ordering.

The case looks nice, but Little Deviants doesn't seem to be worth the difference between the 8GB card and the 4GB card.That said, Amazon should be sending me my FEB bundle today to get here tomorrow and I'm eagerly awaiting it. But to me, I want to upgrade to a 16GB or 32GB card soon (so either bundle's card will get replaced shortly), and really wanted what I think is a nice looking case. Also, I'm impatient.

If you can wait the week, don't care about that specific case, don't want to ever have to touch Little Deviants, and the card size matters (god thats a a lot of factors) then just wait it out.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

It sucks that the UK isn't getting any early bundles, reading about people getting their Vita's tomorrow is going to make waiting until the 22nd that much harder.

All the Vita launch games are now on the PS3goons website and they all have a (PS Vita) after the game name to differentiate between the PS3 titles.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

But it soon became quite clear that while losers flourished everywhere, winners were a rare and reticent breed with preferences for camouflage and anonymity.

Policenaut posted:

The whole Gundam Battle series would be way better if you could move the camera with that other stick.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Any FPS game would work considerably better. Medal of Honor and such. I might actually try those now myself.

Policenaut posted:

Vita supports PS3 Remote Play in a similar way the PSP could. From what I understand, only certain games work through it but Sony hasn't released a list. I have seen videos though on YouTube of people playing stuff like Battlefield 3 through it so it must have some pretty good capability.

Im pretty sure that Battlefield 3 one was on a hacked [PS3]. Dont see why this couldnt just be enabled officially though. If it works hacked, it would work it they wanted it to.

strategery fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 21:38

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Ni ... pa?

There are no hacked Vita's yet, it was on a hacked ps3.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting

For those wondering about remote play - there's a file within PS3 titles called PARAM.SFO. This is basically a set of flags to say what a game can use, the version of the game, where it's located and what firmware version is needed for the game. Remote play is just a flag in this file but developers never enable it for some strange reason.

So yes, games *could* work with remote play but developers don't use it. When I played with it back when I had CFW on my PS3 a lot of games were very unplayable because there was a notable lag playing on the PSP. It might be different on the vita with the added horsepower, but unfortunately developers at least back then didn't have the option of saying either vita or psp remote play enabled only.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

It's worth it if you really can't wait/live in Canada.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

flyboi posted:

For those wondering about remote play - there's a file within PS3 titles called PARAM.SFO. This is basically a set of flags to say what a game can use, the version of the game, where it's located and what firmware version is needed for the game. Remote play is just a flag in this file but developers never enable it for some strange reason.

So yes, games *could* work with remote play but developers don't use it. When I played with it back when I had CFW on my PS3 a lot of games were very unplayable because there was a notable lag playing on the PSP. It might be different on the vita with the added horsepower, but unfortunately developers at least back then didn't have the option of saying either vita or psp remote play enabled only.

Not to mention something greater than Wireless B for connecting to the PS3.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

Not to mention something greater than Wireless B for connecting to the PS3.

My PS3 doesn't have wireless, it was over a USB link

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Harping on this forever because I hate shoulder button camera controls but Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3. The PSP thumbstick makes accurate movement a chore since it's so stiff, so you're constantly adjusting the camera with L and R to move your characters around. Being able to use the holy poo poo amazing sticks on the Vita would be great. I admit that the game wouldn't be much improved by the larger screen, but I find the Vita produces a more vibrant image than the PSP.

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

L-O-N posted:

There are no hacked Vita's yet, it was on a hacked ps3.

According to youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8VOnYoc7g), we do have homebrew on Vita already. But they're really just PSP executables running through Vita's PSP emulator. It's a start though!

Hydrogen_Otter
May 1, 2003

State of the art
High resolution graphics

8 Days, here's what my launch lineup looks like!

Wi-Fi PS Vita
8GB memory card
Super Stardust Delta
Escape Plan
Wipeout 2048
Hot Shots Golf
Touch My Katamari
Rayman Origins

I don't know what it is...I'm so pumped for handhelds right now when just a few years ago I would be pissed when something cool was announced solely for them. I think maybe my busier lifestyle these days has more than a little to do with it.

PSN - Hydrogen_Otter

Hydrogen_Otter fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 21:41

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Hydrogen_Otter posted:

I don't know what it is...I'm so pumped for handhelds right now when just a few years ago I would be pissed when something cool was announced solely for them. I think maybe my busier lifestyle these days has more than a little to do with it.

PSN - Hydrogen_Otter

Vita feels like a handheld, but runs like a console. The screen size really helps it feel like more than just a handheld. It is small enough to be a handheld, but big enough to make you forget you are on one (screen-size wise).

Hydrogen_Otter
May 1, 2003

State of the art
High resolution graphics

Not to mention OLED is so, sooooo sexy.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

Hydrogen_Otter posted:

8 Days, here's what my launch lineup looks like!

Wi-Fi PS Vita
8GB memory card
Super Stardust Delta
Escape Plan
Wipeout 2048
Hot Shots Golf
Touch My Katamari
Rayman Origins

PSN - Hydrogen_Otter

If you're getting an 8GB Memory Card and SSD you might as well get the 3G model unless you're Canadian.

Hydrogen_Otter
May 1, 2003

State of the art
High resolution graphics

Is it the same price? Because I don't want to pay an extra $50-100 for stuff I'm never going to use. Assuming you're talking about the first edition bundle that is. I don't really want Little Deviants and won't use 3G so it isn't worth the extra cash.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002

Hydrogen_Otter posted:

Is it the same price? Because I don't want to pay an extra $50-100 for stuff I'm never going to use. Assuming you're talking about the first edition bundle that is. I don't really want Little Deviants and won't use 3G so it isn't worth the extra cash.

Nah, in the US if you buy a 3G model early on it comes with an 8GB card and you get SSD for free after activating 3G (not sure how exactly that works or why people are saying you have to wait a month for it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

EDIT: Answered above.

As for me, I debated over getting a first edition bundle, but canceled that at GameStop. Didn't want Little Deviants, so decided to skip that bundle. Still waffling a bit on if I'm going to jump on board after being a bit burned by the 3DS launch, but I think I will be jumping on. Especially since I am doing a good bit of flying in the upcoming 3-6 months. Here's what I'm looking at:

3G/WiFi + 8GB Launch bundle
Hot Shots Golf
Lumines

Other games I'll get when they release include Disgaea 3, and some stuff off PSN. Not much else in this launch group that I'm interested in. Maybe Katamari, but that's it. Considering I loved my original PSP on release with just Hot Shots and Lumines, though, I'm guessing it'll be the same this time around.

MrMoose fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 21:55

«1127 »