Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1192 »
K-Hutch
Dec 18, 2007

BLUE CTHULHU
Tangueray Rangpur Gin
Blue Curacao
Lemonade Concentrate

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

Nah, in the US if you buy a 3G model early on it comes with an 8GB card and you get SSD for free after activating 3G (not sure how exactly that works or why people are saying you have to wait a month for it).

The process kinda eats a dick. You have to pay for a month of 3G (either plan). Then at the end, you get your free month of 3G (250MB version) and a code for Super Stardust Delta, plus all the DLC for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

K-Hutch posted:

The process kinda eats a dick. You have to pay for a month of 3G (either plan). Then at the end, you get your free month of 3G (250MB version) and a code for Super Stardust Delta, plus all the DLC for it.

So you wind up basically paying for SSDD + DLC and get 2 months of 3g (and don't get the game immediately)? That pretty much sucks. Be nice if they at least just gave you like $15 PSN credit so you could choose what you get.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

"Some day coach I'm going to throw 6 TD's in a Super Bowl"

"Sit your ass down Steve"

Policenaut posted:

As far as I understand it, you just go to the System Settings under Options and "Reinitalize" the Vita to clear the active PSN account registered to the Vita. After that, you simply log in to the PSN account you want to activate on the Vita. It's similar to the PSP's procedure.

From what I've read from import reviews, Reinitalizing clears all Near data.

I think I might just get each of us a memory card, from what I have seen it is way easier then transferring stuff back and forth to and from a computer.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

K-Hutch posted:

I was just going to get the WIFI one, but the stuff I have seen for some game makes me really want the 3G one. I want SSD too anyway. The only 2 things I have complaints about are that Id rather have [at least] a 16 gig card. Too bad they only give you 250MB of 3G.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

I have just received my first Vita components: Wipeout 2048, Hot Shots Golf, Rayman Origins, and FIFA Soccer 2012.

3.5MB JPEG's!

(FINGER!)

IRSmurf fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 22:13

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

bloodysabbath posted:

Also: gently caress this no manual bullshit. I know they are redundant when every game has a tutorial these days, but if I'm going to shell out $40-50 for a game (a handheld game, no less), can't they at least give me a nice, beefy manual to flip through? Blugh.

Yes, but the manual is always with you on the device itself. It can't get lost or damaged, and it looks gorgeous on that screen. Just one quick tap on the live area screen for the game and boom, there's your manual.

I do miss the days of proper boxed games with manuals and maps and wallcharts and stuff. For handhelds though, digital version on the device itself really seems like a step forward, not a step back.

Boinks posted:

Well crap, it wont let me put in the billing info without credit card info. Guess I'll wait until I get my Vita and see if it lets me log into the device.

I signed up for a US account without a credit card, but the fact that I had a PSN store card ready to redeem may have helped. I can't remember if it is the same as the iTunes store where you could sign up easily just so long as you had ANY form of payment ready to attach to it.

Policenaut posted:

On the discussion of PSP games on Vita, I was actually thinking about this myself while thumbing through the USA selection of titles earlier today. What would everyone say would be games that would be totally improved on Vita with the new digital (for PSP games) right analog stick and bigger screen?

Sadly there are going to be lots of games that will never be improved on PSP because they never used awkward face buttons or d-pad control configurations. It is a cruel irony that the games that were the most unsuitable for the PSP control layouts are the ones that are now going to become the most improved.

Case in point, GUN: Showdown. That game really shouldn't have been on PSP, as it's a third person twinstick game. Trying to use face buttons in combat ... yeah it's not the same as when it was on the home consoles. On the Vita though ... god drat it works flawlessly now.

In other news, Wipeout 2048 got patched. 1.01 apparently improves the loading times, and as a bonus includes a new song too. Which is nice. The patching process is really cool. On the live area you get an orange icon at the top of the screen (which is always there on PSP games to check for the latest version manually) letting you know there is an update to download. You tap it, it downloads the patch, you tap it again to install and job done and the orange update icon goes away.

One thing I did find is that the update pauses if you turn the screen off while it is downloading. It was only a 4 minute download anyway, but I had it turned off for 10 minutes and the progress bar hadn't moved. This seems to download in the background so you can do other things but the screen has to stay on. Just firing up the game now to see how well it improves performance. Have to say though, the ease and speed of the entire patching process is very encouraging.

Also, I've finally been able to get into some online Wipeout play and I've been having a lot of fun despite being awful. At these early levels, a pass might be just to finish the event and an elite pass will be to finish the event and hit at least one opponent with a weapon. It means you rack up XP really quickly, and some of the pass conditions get kind of fun. I had to hit a specific racer with a weapon and it chose the guy who had been finishing 20 seconds ahead of me for the last few races. Had a very lucky shortcut to catch up him and get a cannon hit in. Very satisfying. Of course, online didn't help in that it started me on a bunch of tracks that I was unfamiliar with, once it brought in some of the earlier ones I was much better. Well, that's kind of a lie, but I was slightly less bad.

EDIT: The Wipeout patch halves loading times! It's a little odd as the percentage bar fills up at exactly the same speed as before while loading, so I thought it hadn't improved, but when it gets to 60% it suddenly goes at warp speed. It's fantastic improvement. Plus a new tune for delicious icing on the Wipeout cake. The Vita is pretty sweet guys,

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 22:22

Desjardy
Aug 11, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I find it amazing that basically everyone is buying Hot Shots Golf. When Vita was still in the distant future, everyone was going on and on about Uncharted or whatnot but now that we're less than 24 hours away from launch everyone's going HOT HOT HOT

FORE!

Do you have a link to your new profile? I'm adding you but I'd like to have the link to save time.

Here you go: http://www.klaver.co.uk/ps3goons/index.php?u=190

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

If I'm to stingy to shell out 50 bucks extra for the 3g model, would using my phone's LTE connection via tethering be a viable option? I'm guessing the only thing I'd be missing out in would be games that use location awareness.

I refuse to sign up for a tiered 3g data plan when I already have an unlimited plan through Verizon.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Oozin along on your livinroom floor

IRSmurf posted:

I have just received my first Vita components: Wipeout 2048, Hot Shots Golf, Rayman Origins, and FIFA Soccer 2012.

3.5MB JPEG's!

Wow I thought that was a quarter before I clicked on the picture. People where not kidding when they said the game carts are tiny.

Wikipedia Brown
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Parkingtigers posted:

In other news, Wipeout 2048 got patched. 1.01 apparently improves the loading times, and as a bonus includes a new song too. Which is nice.

Oooh oooooh, tell me tell me, what's the new song? (If it's not a hassle to find out.)

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Oooh oooooh, tell me tell me, what's the new song? (If it's not a hassle to find out.)

I think the patch notes said it was a track by Orbital called Beelzebub. Or Beelzeboob. Something like that. Sorry, I wasn't paying too much attention as I wouldn't know one wub wub wub song from another at the best of times. All I know is more is good.

Edit: Ah, "Beelzedub". That's the song.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 22:26

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

AntiTheist posted:

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, the free game with the US 3G bundle is Super Stardust PLUS all the DLC. Nice!

May I ask for the source of this information? I'd be surprised if they offered no choice.

Parkingtigers posted:

The Wipeout patch halves loading times!

Excuse me while I highlight this for everyone to see. This is big news. I hope reviewers update their stories, since Wipeout 2048 was universally demoted for having such long load times.

IRSmurf fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 22:34

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

IRSmurf posted:

Excuse me while I highlight this for everyone to see. This is big news. I hope reviewers update their stories, since Wipeout 2048 was universally demoted for having such long load times.

Here's a video someone put up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsM2...be_gdata_player

That suddenly acceleration of the percentage counter in the top left, that's all new. Before, it was that slow all the way to the end. This patch is fantastic, and as I said before I'm pleased not just for how it improves this game, but for the fact that it shows that the infrastructure for getting patches out quickly and easily is there for all Vita games. We've finally got the facility for periodic improvements that home consoles have had for the last few years.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

I disagree!

So I'm a total idiot when it comes to most things, went to gamestop and wanted to save some money, guy behind the counter said if I'm buying retail then a 4' memory card is good enough honestly, so picked it up, somewhat curious if that's horseshit or not as I have Rayman Origins, Katamari and Disgaea 3 coming in and not gonna be pleased if it ends up filling up after a few games.

Captain Novolin
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

If you're buying physical games? 4gb should be fine until memory card prices go down. If you're planning on doing any digital stuff it's nowhere near enough.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

4gb will be absolutely fine if you just plan on buying hard copies.

here's requirements for the current games : http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/13/j...5mb-of-storage/

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm a total idiot when it comes to most things, went to gamestop and wanted to save some money, guy behind the counter said if I'm buying retail then a 4' memory card is good enough honestly, so picked it up, somewhat curious if that's horseshit or not as I have Rayman Origins, Katamari and Disgaea 3 coming in and not gonna be pleased if it ends up filling up after a few games.

It should be fine if you have the actual cartridges coming in and you don't plan on buying too many digital games.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Here's my PSN ID: infinite_99

Can't wait to play some Hot Shots and Lumines with people!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Okay folks, I think I've got everyone who's listed themselves so far. To be quite honest, I'm surprised at the turnout! If you think you were missed, be sure to check the listing to see if you're present. If you are missing, just repost your information.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

He's always
right there.

The game cases and games themselves are much smaller and thinner than I expected. This is nice and frightening at the same time.

Also, proprietary memory card is exactly the same size as the M2. Why couldn't you just use the M2, Sony? I already have one of those!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Harping on this forever because I hate shoulder button camera controls but Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3. The PSP thumbstick makes accurate movement a chore since it's so stiff, so you're constantly adjusting the camera with L and R to move your characters around. Being able to use the holy poo poo amazing sticks on the Vita would be great. I admit that the game wouldn't be much improved by the larger screen, but I find the Vita produces a more vibrant image than the PSP.

I wonder what would happen if VC2&3 were localised/ported to the Vita and sold together on one flash card?

IDOLA
Sep 17, 2005

:-)

Not even kidding here: The announcement that the Wipeout patch cuts load times has stopped me cancelling my Pre-order. I was going back and forth on an hourly basis but now I know the loads won't be as hellish as previously mentioned I am chomping at the bit for another Wipeout game.

Oh yea, my PSN is ElliotPage. http://www.klaver.co.uk/ps3goons/index.php?u=217

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

SpacePig posted:

Why couldn't you just use the M2, Sony? I already have one of those!

That's why!

I just received Uncharted in the mail. By how everyone was saying how small the carts are I was expecting a lot smaller. It looks like a memory card. I was thinking mini-SD or some poo poo that small.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

SpacePig posted:

Also, proprietary memory card is exactly the same size as the M2. Why couldn't you just use the M2, Sony? I already have one of those!

Because then they couldn't make you pay more for a memory card with less memory directly from them .

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

He's always
right there.

BreakAtmo posted:

I wonder what would happen if VC2&3 were localised/ported to the Vita and sold together on one flash card?

I would buy it, and I already own 2. C'mon, Sega. Just either bring VC3 state-side, or develop another one (or something else using the Blitz system) and localize that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sega's already built another game with Blitz: Shining Blade. It's a Shining Force game. For PSP.

No they're probably not going to localize it.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Do those things even work on the PS3 browser at this point? Sony doesn't seem to have much of a grasp on the internet browsing based on the horrible browser on the PS3.

There was a PS3 firmware update last week that added basic HTML5 support to the browser.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Argh! My gamestop and all the other stores around here won't be getting in the 32gb cards. If anyone cares you have less than 30 minutes to order a 32gb card of Amazon to get it tomorrow.

Also grabbed 4 $50 psn cards. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Policenaut posted:

Okay folks, I think I've got everyone who's listed themselves so far. To be quite honest, I'm surprised at the turnout! If you think you were missed, be sure to check the listing to see if you're present. If you are missing, just repost your information.

Oh yeah! PSN: h4mx0r My Vita will get here a little later than everyone else, but Wipeout 2048 here.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Policenaut posted:

Not to fill up the thread with PSN IDs, but can you remove the space from my PSN ID (sorry!) and add my Goon PS3 DB profile at http://www.klaver.co.uk/ps3goons/index.php?u=188 ?

Thanks!

Crow_Robot
Apr 4, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Just preordered a PS Vita 3G launch bundle!

I was gonna buy a wifi version with a 16 gig memory card and go all digital, but I changed my mind and decided I'd rather mostly go retail boxes.

So hey here's my PSN ID: Crow_Robot

e: Oh and the link to the ps3 goons site thing http://www.klaver.co.uk/ps3goons/index.php?u=219

Crow_Robot fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2012 around 00:09

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

I would have a heart attack and die.

More realistically, it probably wouldn't sell very well since the second game was really didn't perform well over here. I'm not even sure of the numbers of the first game, to be honest. The facebook page for the Gallian Liberation Front, a group of people who want the game localised, has 2,343 members. The Facebook page for Valkyria Chronicles itself only has about 10,000 members. While I realise these are hardly "real" numbers, it does show that public awareness of the series is pretty low.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's AWESOME!

Cool, I now have Uncharted and Lumines. What I don't have is a Vita and I won't for another week. Whoever decided to do this staggered launch thing is kind of dumb.

(I almost canceled Uncharted, but I realized that I preordered it from Amazon so early that I got $10 off.)

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Is GameStop the only place to physically go buy a First Edition bundle tonight/tomorrow? I suddenly decided I might want one.

Crow_Robot
Apr 4, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Is GameStop the only place to physically go buy a First Edition bundle tonight/tomorrow? I suddenly decided I might want one.

I'm not sure how available they'll be without a pre-order.

My three nearest Gamestops were sold out of it.

Captain Novolin
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Every major retailer around here has them for pre-order. The Sony Style near me also has them, iirc.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I guess you could say he's...
hot under the collar.
Heh.

Tempted to actually give Gamefly another stab for this, but $15/month for one game or $22/month for two? I could've sworn it was $9/month for one and $15/month for two way-back when I used it in the PS2 hayday

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Just got the case ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IL3C/ ) and extra USB cable delivered. Case is nice, about what I expected.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

After spending an hour on Wipeout with the new patch, I'd revise my earlier load time estimates. One speed laps and zone races, there is huge improvement in load times, and they do seem to be almost halved. On other courses where it has to load in all the extra ships and stuff, the load times seem to be improved by 25%-30%. That's still significantly better than before, but I didn't want to mislead anyone with my earlier enthusiasm.

Still loving the game to bits too. I'm obsessively trying to get elite passes in every event and I'm halfway through the 2049 season with all yellows on the board. It's getting faster and tougher now. As babby's first Wipeout I'm officially a fan of the series now. Nothing quite like having a time trial target of 1:25 and finishing with 1:25:02, 1:25:03 and 1:25:09 in sequence. Gah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007
I'll shill for anything if I like it enough!

Parkingtigers posted:

After spending an hour on Wipeout with the new patch, I'd revise my earlier load time estimates. One speed laps and zone races, there is huge improvement in load times, and they do seem to be almost halved. On other courses where it has to load in all the extra ships and stuff, the load times seem to be improved by 25%-30%. That's still significantly better than before, but I didn't want to mislead anyone with my earlier enthusiasm.

The guys at my Gamestop are such assholes and good friends at the same time. I read this post, and am immediately reminded that they have a First Edition Bundle set aside for me 'just in case' I change my mind.

So loving tempted right now aaaaaaaaaaaaargh

EDIT: Also, you are now one of us. This is how it starts, you start thinking of every little 'moment' where you could have shaved off a second or more, how you could have gotten a barrel roll off HERE, or maybe HERE, or maybe if you'd just airbraked a little longer you'd have taken that hairpin perfectly. Wipeout is pretty awesome you guys.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2012 around 01:24

«1192 »