Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Mug posted:

I don't understand why people are saying they have to re-buy their PSP games. Does your PSP stop working if you buy a Vita or something? I'm gonna still use my PSP all the loving time after I get a Vita because I still play DJ Max and Project Diva all the time.

Because having two handhelds is needlessly cumbersome. It's pretty lovely to bring one system along and realise the games you want to play are on the other. Plus the PSP isn't going to be supported forever and you need to use it for the UMD transfer poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Well, I caved. A 16gb and an 8gb card with a Vita will be coming for me on the 22nd. I'll be using the 8gb one for my spergy Japanese Anime PSP games and my 16gb one for my spergy English-translated Japanese Anime PSP games. I also ordered a copy of Uncharted.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

flyboi posted:

Now buy 5 more launch titles. You know you want to.

gently caress that, I just want to play Valkyria Chronicles 3 on an OLED screen.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

redreader posted:

Can you speak Japanese or do you use a translation guide? (Has anyone here played it with a translation guide? Was it enjoyable despite not knowing the plot?)

How do you buy it online? I'm in the USA.

My japanese is very limited, extremely so. I can make out most of the menus and with a bit of work I can figure out mission objectives. I'm working on expanding my knowledge so I can figure out what's going on though.

Thankfully, the interface was almost the same as VCII's, so I could identify units and commands right off the bat.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Policenaut posted:

On the discussion of PSP games on Vita, I was actually thinking about this myself while thumbing through the USA selection of titles earlier today. What would everyone say would be games that would be totally improved on Vita with the new digital (for PSP games) right analog stick and bigger screen?

Harping on this forever because I hate shoulder button camera controls but Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3. The PSP thumbstick makes accurate movement a chore since it's so stiff, so you're constantly adjusting the camera with L and R to move your characters around. Being able to use the holy poo poo amazing sticks on the Vita would be great. I admit that the game wouldn't be much improved by the larger screen, but I find the Vita produces a more vibrant image than the PSP.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

I wonder what would happen if VC2&3 were localised/ported to the Vita and sold together on one flash card?

I would have a heart attack and die.

More realistically, it probably wouldn't sell very well since the second game was really didn't perform well over here. I'm not even sure of the numbers of the first game, to be honest. The facebook page for the Gallian Liberation Front, a group of people who want the game localised, has 2,343 members. The Facebook page for Valkyria Chronicles itself only has about 10,000 members. While I realise these are hardly "real" numbers, it does show that public awareness of the series is pretty low.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

I'm so glad my Vita doesn't get here until the 22nd. With all the stuff in this thread telling me how to do everything, I'll be able to get all my PSP games configured for the two sticks thing right off the bat and know what games are good and what games aren't! And I'm not just telling myself this to make myself feel better for having to wait a week!

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well, my question about how easy it is to get to the battery in the event I need to replace it has been answered:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Play...Teardown/7872/1

Ooh, this is a lot nicer than the PSP-2000 teardown. I swear I can never get those screws behind the UMD slot back in.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Jae posted:

As far as the memory card goes, the cheapest available is $19.99 4gig card from sony. The original PSX memory cards were what... $9.99 to $14.99? You basically needed one for saves in most games?

Sure, during the rear end-end of the PS2 era, maybe. Back when they first came out they ran from $29.99 to $59.99 around here.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Dantes posted:

If you guys are going to do another round of Business Analyst Hero can you try this time to get your definitions in order first so that you don't argue past each other ? I mean you only went at it for half a page and there are already 3 different and overlapping definitions for both core and mainstream gamers.

It's almost like "core gamers" are an entirely contrived notion that consists of little more than people who like to classify themselves based on the games they don't play.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Was the release date for FFX HD (USA) announced? Really looking forward to this game, I stopped playing after FF9.

If FF9 was your last exposure to the Final Fantasy series, you're in for a really rude awakening when you play 10.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Crowbear posted:

10 is a better game than 7 or 8

Yeah, there's a real loving challenge.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

strategery posted:

I Twitter messaged the Dungeons of Dredmore team to ask them to bring Dredmore to Vita. The answer was no, the Vita has only sold 1.4 or so million units while the IPAD has sold 12 million in the last quarter. UGH.

And? Dredmore would be amazing on an iPad and a sure bet for sales numbers.

loudog999 posted:

Hold on, this is a real thing? I have never heard of it. At lot of people swear by 7 but I think they are viewing it through rose tinted glasses. The best of the modern FF has to be a tie between x and VIII

Final Fantasy 8 is 13 years old and came out for the first generation PlayStation. It's not even close to being able to be considered a modern Final Fantasy game.

Or a good game at all.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

strategery posted:

My complaint is that I dont want to buy an ipad.

So play it on a laptop or something.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

loudog999 posted:

I agree to disagree.. I loved every second of the three times I played 8 and the changes that it made were so different from the previous games that I would consider it more modern than 9, would gladly buy a new one. Doesn't change the fact that I am excited as hell for X on the Vita..

I can see that. Some people took to the focus shift toward character-based storytelling than others but I really wasn't one of them. It felt like these big, world-changing events that occurred in the Final Fantasy games were taking a backseat to highschool drama (not as a detraction, but that really is what FF8 was) and that isn't something that really clicked in the Final Fantasy section of my brain.

Which is weird because that's the same reason I absolutely loving ate Persona 3 up.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

I always thought it was more to even the playing field more than anything else. If Sonic just ran, he'd pretty much be unbeatable. But the real answer is it's a kart racer, and having a character not be in a kart is just silly.

Would he, though? Sonic turns like a thrown brick.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

5er posted:

Sonic's sassy attitude powers him through corners that would shear a military jet in half.

Not if Generations is any indication

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Heads up if you're planning on buying Mortal Kombat, or anything else, digitally.

The PSN is throwing up errors for a lot of people when attempting to purchase stuff or add funds.

Oh, so it's not just me then. That's good to know.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Just wait for PS1 support and buy MGS1.

Has this even been confirmed to be a thing that's happening?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Get ready everyone! The show is about to start! (Thanks Megami Tensei thread!)

The only way this could get better is if somehow Persona 3 FES comes to the Vita in its full form.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

P3P was better than FES though, the stuff they cut out was made up for by the fact that the female route was actually pretty noticeably different.

But goddamn I am so excited for P4 even though it's a game I already played and beat before, I really think I'm perfectly ok with Vita taking the PSP's place as "Hey guys remember this game? Well we made it again but portable!"

My problem is that the whole loving game is just so many menus. It draws me right out of the experience.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Woah that is really soon to just drop suddenly. I love MGS but I don't know if I want to play through them again really, I'm afraid it won't live up to my memory and I'll get annoyed at all the cutscenes. I DO want the Peacewalker remake on Vita somehow though, never finished that because I remember the remakes being announced.

MGS2 and MGS3 have somehow both gotten better in my eyes. Of course, this only elevates MGS2 to "above average" but it also bumps MGS3 up to "loving amazing."

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

So apparently My Hot Electronics has dropped the price of the Wi-Fi edition vita for 225 on their website today. I'm really considering buying it. That, and picking up uncharted, disgaea 3 and a 16 gb card as well. Is the 16 gb card ok? I don't know how to judge the game and save size of vita games yet.

I only have a few games, but my 16gb has been working out for me pretty well. Mind, the only games I've downloaded are PSP games that usually run the size gamut of 90mb (Half Minute Hero) to around 3-4gb (Valkyria Chronicles).

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

I'd kill for a Persona 3 port that lets me walk everywhere on the Vita.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Policenaut posted:

NEXT Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA is never going to localize. Miku's staying in Japan. That's good because it cost me $93 to import it and gently caress all of you if you want to pay $40.

This, but if they ever decide to release Valkyria Chronicles 3 as a PSN exclusive.

I loving wish.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Speedball posted:

Valkyria Chronicles 2 was missing last time I checked, hmm...

You need to load Valkyria Chronicles 2 via PS3.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

jabro posted:

No rumors and they are not going to do a price drop so soon after release.

I remember when people said this exact same thing about the 3DS.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nintendo and Sony have pretty different track records historically when it comes to price drops. Sony is pretty darn prideful, even in the face of financial disaster.

And lately Sony has been doing things like "trying to not be complete fuckups" like they were with the PSP in North America and the PS3 as a whole. There's no reason to completely rule out the idea of a price drop at this point.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

I'd take "no price drop but we're packaging every Vita with a 4/8gb mem card" at this point. I know they're really common bundles, but the fact that they're an upsell item is pretty lovely.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

The only thing I don't like about the Vita is that all the games I could use to hack it were pulled from the store before I even knew they existed.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

SamBishop posted:

All that let you do was run unsigned code inside the PSP emulator. The system itself hasn't been hacked in the least, and really if you wanted to play a bunch of Genesis games or something, why not just use a PSP? The storage is cheaper and custom firmware adds some interesting stuff.

And yeah, how dare Sony not tell you about games that were vulnerabilities! And then to remove them? The nerve!

I actually did want to run SNES emulators and I wanted to do it on my Vita so I wouldn't need my PSP anymore once the PSX announcement came.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

SamBishop posted:

Any particular reason why you'd want to do it on the Vita instead of, like, a smartphone or something? It just seems like an expensive platform to get 16-bit games to play on right now, and it's doubtful Sony is going to let any holes stay unpatched going forward, so you'd just end up in the same boat as all those holdouts waiting for PS3 custom firmware, which isn't gonna happen. With PS Suite, it sounds like Sony's giving homebrew devs a means to make stuff through normal channels, so I don't see there being a huge push for the system, but then I guess it has only been a couple months.

I didn't get it just for that and playing them on a smartphone would be a total shitfest because gently caress virtual buttons for games with more than two buttons ever in use.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/25/jet...ng-to-the-vita/

I was going to wait for the first hardware revision before getting a Vita.

In the last week, they've announced Sly 4, PlayStation All Stars, Super Monkey Ball for it and now Jet Set Radio.

I don't think I can wait over a month for my birthday. I need one right now.

Jesus, the Vita is just going to vacuum all my money up, isn't it?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Ein Bear posted:

What's the framerate like? It looks janky as hell in the trailers that Sony's been putting out, but not too bad in cam footage.

It's smooth. For some reason Sony trailers always run at like 20 FPS tops.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that these guys also made Bubsy 3D.

But... it's so... good.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Has much changed about NND since the last time i saw it a couple of years ago? Is it still just a bunch of Vocaloid music videos and clips of anime characters talking remixed to sound like Kirby music?

That's all it is still pretty much but both those things are getting a surprising North American/European following. Especially vocaloids

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

I can't deny that Vocaloid bands usually have really good production quality. I just wish that they had actual people singing or nobody singing at all, rather than the gimmicky Vocaloid voice, which pops between every syllable and warbles constantly. I just don't get the infatuation.

They are anime robots that sing and dance.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Policenaut posted:

So here's MonkeyPaw Games trying to convince everyone that Class of Heroes 2 (PSP, Vita compatible) will be worth a drat

No, PS Blog comments, we do not need Vic Ireland "to make JRPGs matter again". We have plenty of competent localization groups who do that already.

I can't seem to get a straight answer out of the Japanese internet on this. I don't think this is actually the case though.

Yeah, I have no idea what the gently caress is up with that.

Vic Ireland must be so loving mad that XSEED exists and that Ys: Origins is the top selling RPG on Steam right now.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

What's YouTube? Some kinda American Nico Nico?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 10, 2007

Trench_Rat posted:

I'm getting the Wifi version what do you reccomend getting with it? (memory cards etc)

At least get a 4gb card. If you plan on downloading anything, bump that up to 8 to 16gb. Then get Uncharted because it's great.

«2 »