Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Marvellous OP Policenaut, you are making a lot of goons spend their money with your constant streams of awesome news. Don't know why you are getting 8 launch games, you seriously can't have time to play them when you are busy scouring the web for info for us.

Your pictures are all messed up in the game section though. You were linking 3 pics to each title? They've got a bit scrambled, there are 3 almost random pictures with some of the games.

Goons, add me to your Vita for hot friendlist action. PSN: Parkingtigers X
I'm not on the goon database because the website was being a whiny little bitch and I figured life was too short and I'd just list myself here instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Huh, I reloaded the OP and the pictures all shuffled themselves into the right place. Worry not Policenaut, my browser just couldn't handle the awesome it seems.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Yeah, most devices charge up about three times as fast as they run down. You can also play while charging from the mains, and even if you run it down all the way so that it shut off you only need to wait a couple of minutes into the charging process before you can boot back up again and carry one where you left off. It's pretty good.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Baggot posted:

For people who have the system already, do you think screen protectors are a necessity? And if so, which would you recommend?

I think screen protectors are necessary on all devices now. I used to be all casual about it, then on my old DS I suddenly noticed if you tilted it into the light you could see a thousand tiny scratches. You could actually feel them through the stylus when you were playing. When I got a new DS screen protectors were the first thing I had them put on, and if applied properly you forget they are there.

When I got my iPad I didn't bother with a screen protector as I had a case for it and the screen is made of glass. No worries right? Wrong. I somehow got a teeny, tiny, little divot in the glass from something (sand I think) getting shut against it. It's small, but once seen can never go unseen.

From now on, it's screen protectors for all. The Vita's front is plastic, and will scratch. The screen is gorgeous, but the slightest unremovable physical mark will mock you for years. Get a protective and replaceable sheet of film on it or at least one of you will end up regretting it.

Rookoo posted:

For anyone who has it, is the web browser any good on the Vita?

You can't watch YouTube on it as it goes to the Flash version of the site and can't do Flash. The other problem is that you can't multitask to the browser while playing a game, the game does need to close. It can run at the same time as any other app, but of course the biggest use would have been to pause a game and look up a guide.

Both of these things may be patched, but right now they are restricting. Apart from that though, it's passable for a mobile browser. Better than the garbage on a PSP, DS, or PS3, but not quite as good as any smartphone in existence.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

bloodysabbath posted:

Also: gently caress this no manual bullshit. I know they are redundant when every game has a tutorial these days, but if I'm going to shell out $40-50 for a game (a handheld game, no less), can't they at least give me a nice, beefy manual to flip through? Blugh.

Yes, but the manual is always with you on the device itself. It can't get lost or damaged, and it looks gorgeous on that screen. Just one quick tap on the live area screen for the game and boom, there's your manual.

I do miss the days of proper boxed games with manuals and maps and wallcharts and stuff. For handhelds though, digital version on the device itself really seems like a step forward, not a step back.

Boinks posted:

Well crap, it wont let me put in the billing info without credit card info. Guess I'll wait until I get my Vita and see if it lets me log into the device.

I signed up for a US account without a credit card, but the fact that I had a PSN store card ready to redeem may have helped. I can't remember if it is the same as the iTunes store where you could sign up easily just so long as you had ANY form of payment ready to attach to it.

Policenaut posted:

On the discussion of PSP games on Vita, I was actually thinking about this myself while thumbing through the USA selection of titles earlier today. What would everyone say would be games that would be totally improved on Vita with the new digital (for PSP games) right analog stick and bigger screen?

Sadly there are going to be lots of games that will never be improved on PSP because they never used awkward face buttons or d-pad control configurations. It is a cruel irony that the games that were the most unsuitable for the PSP control layouts are the ones that are now going to become the most improved.

Case in point, GUN: Showdown. That game really shouldn't have been on PSP, as it's a third person twinstick game. Trying to use face buttons in combat ... yeah it's not the same as when it was on the home consoles. On the Vita though ... god drat it works flawlessly now.

In other news, Wipeout 2048 got patched. 1.01 apparently improves the loading times, and as a bonus includes a new song too. Which is nice. The patching process is really cool. On the live area you get an orange icon at the top of the screen (which is always there on PSP games to check for the latest version manually) letting you know there is an update to download. You tap it, it downloads the patch, you tap it again to install and job done and the orange update icon goes away.

One thing I did find is that the update pauses if you turn the screen off while it is downloading. It was only a 4 minute download anyway, but I had it turned off for 10 minutes and the progress bar hadn't moved. This seems to download in the background so you can do other things but the screen has to stay on. Just firing up the game now to see how well it improves performance. Have to say though, the ease and speed of the entire patching process is very encouraging.

Also, I've finally been able to get into some online Wipeout play and I've been having a lot of fun despite being awful. At these early levels, a pass might be just to finish the event and an elite pass will be to finish the event and hit at least one opponent with a weapon. It means you rack up XP really quickly, and some of the pass conditions get kind of fun. I had to hit a specific racer with a weapon and it chose the guy who had been finishing 20 seconds ahead of me for the last few races. Had a very lucky shortcut to catch up him and get a cannon hit in. Very satisfying. Of course, online didn't help in that it started me on a bunch of tracks that I was unfamiliar with, once it brought in some of the earlier ones I was much better. Well, that's kind of a lie, but I was slightly less bad.

EDIT: The Wipeout patch halves loading times! It's a little odd as the percentage bar fills up at exactly the same speed as before while loading, so I thought it hadn't improved, but when it gets to 60% it suddenly goes at warp speed. It's fantastic improvement. Plus a new tune for delicious icing on the Wipeout cake. The Vita is pretty sweet guys,

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 22:22

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Oooh oooooh, tell me tell me, what's the new song? (If it's not a hassle to find out.)

I think the patch notes said it was a track by Orbital called Beelzebub. Or Beelzeboob. Something like that. Sorry, I wasn't paying too much attention as I wouldn't know one wub wub wub song from another at the best of times. All I know is more is good.

Edit: Ah, "Beelzedub". That's the song.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 22:26

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

IRSmurf posted:

Excuse me while I highlight this for everyone to see. This is big news. I hope reviewers update their stories, since Wipeout 2048 was universally demoted for having such long load times.

Here's a video someone put up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsM2...be_gdata_player

That suddenly acceleration of the percentage counter in the top left, that's all new. Before, it was that slow all the way to the end. This patch is fantastic, and as I said before I'm pleased not just for how it improves this game, but for the fact that it shows that the infrastructure for getting patches out quickly and easily is there for all Vita games. We've finally got the facility for periodic improvements that home consoles have had for the last few years.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

After spending an hour on Wipeout with the new patch, I'd revise my earlier load time estimates. One speed laps and zone races, there is huge improvement in load times, and they do seem to be almost halved. On other courses where it has to load in all the extra ships and stuff, the load times seem to be improved by 25%-30%. That's still significantly better than before, but I didn't want to mislead anyone with my earlier enthusiasm.

Still loving the game to bits too. I'm obsessively trying to get elite passes in every event and I'm halfway through the 2049 season with all yellows on the board. It's getting faster and tougher now. As babby's first Wipeout I'm officially a fan of the series now. Nothing quite like having a time trial target of 1:25 and finishing with 1:25:02, 1:25:03 and 1:25:09 in sequence. Gah!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

fivegears4reverse posted:

The guys at my Gamestop are such assholes and good friends at the same time. I read this post, and am immediately reminded that they have a First Edition Bundle set aside for me 'just in case' I change my mind.

So loving tempted right now aaaaaaaaaaaaargh

Do it. Dooooooo iiiiiiiitttttt! I only turned on my Vita to download the patch and check it out. Now I need to recharge it as I've been playing Wipeout non-stop since then. Join me ...

All joking aside though, I do still think this is a wonderful bit of kit and it feels kind of odd to be able to recommend it at launch like this. I'm really happy you guys are finally able to join in this week. High five Vita launch buddies.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Has anyone confirmed the MJ "demo" really truly honestly is the full game by mistake yet? It sounds too good to be true, but I'm really hoping that it is. Soon as I read it in this thread I instantly fired up my Vita, deleted a couple of PSP games to make room, and hit the download as fast as I could. Very curious to see what will happen.

And if it is the full game, could they automatically override it by forcing users to "update" to the actual demo version? Yeah these are all rhetorical questions, I guess I'm really just hoping for a free game. Guess I find out in ... 35 minutes.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Yeah, I refreshed the Vita storefront and it is gone from there as well. Ah well, show's over everybody. I'm very happy to have gotten it for free though as unlike flyboi I reckon it's pretty good. Not 36 bucks good, this is basically a game that I would expect to see on an iPad for ten bucks or under. But it's 15 decent MJ songs, a bunch of unlockables and challenges to give replay value, and it's a decent enough rhythm game overall.

Thanks for the free game Sony/awesome Vita goons.

I downloaded the two demos for the Gameloft games, will copy them across and see what the deal is with them. They are still up on the store so I'm guessing they have some kind of unlock needed. Figured it was worth a punt anyway, will report back ASAP.

UPDATE: Yeah the Gameloft demos are trial versions with a big "Buy full game" button on the front screen. They are used to having pay walls on their iOS games so they wouldn't slip up. The MJ game was the only freebie for anyone lucky enough to grab it.

gently caress me, the Asphalt game is disgustingly bad. I mean, offensively "You would need to pay me to play this piece of poo poo" bad. It looks terrible, controls badly, and frankly isn't even as good as a dozen iOS racers that all look better and sell for only three bucks a piece. And they are charging $36 dollars for this? gently caress me ragged. I'm just bitter that the store only lets me rate stuff I have bought, I'll have to settle for one-starring the demo. Wasn't even worth the time of a download.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2012 around 12:55

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Count Big Nipples posted:

I am thinking about just picking up a dirt cheap PSP-3000. It's got a lot of games I hadn't even thought about playing. The battery is fairly respectable as well.

Not a bad idea. And if you buy the games digitally where possible, then later on you have the option to upgrade to a Vita and your collection will carry across.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Oh something odd I forgot to note about transferring games across from the PS3. If you copy across a PSP game, the original file is kept on the PS3 and a copy is placed on the Vita. But, if you copy across a Vita game, then the original file is deleted from the PS3. Why? Well, Sony.

Might be important for anyone that ever decides to delete files directly from the Vita itself. Delete a Vita game and you will need to redownload it all over again.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

drat, the MJ game has a trophy and an in-game challenge that require ad-hoc multiplayer wins. At some point we'll have to see if using the PS3 to set up an ad-hoc party still works because the Vita is awakening trophy whore instincts in me that I usually only get on Xbox.

I ... I played a lot of Michael Jackson in the last few hours. Don't judge me.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Hey, you guys making the bad Michael Jackson puns ... Beat It will you?

Policenaut posted:

Is that game any good? I'm not getting my Vita for like another 3-4 hours () so I'm just looking at the bubble on my PS3 menu.

I'm rating it a solidly above average game. Good soundtrack, the graphics are pretty, and the challenges for each song are staggered enough that just replaying the same 15 songs always has a new target within easy reach. Every challenge that gets completed (get a score of X, play 5 times on medium etc) unlocks something new. Often these are things like backing dancers or a fancy effect to make replaying the song a bit prettier.

The actual gameplay itself is a decent rhythm game. I've settled on a two-thumb technique and getting the swipes, taps and circles done in time with the music is pretty satisfying. I found myself unashamedly tapping my foot in time with the music on the train, then I played it for an hour on the exercise bike at the gym. Still playing it now, and I have to play Billie Jean again because I've just unlocked the glowy paving slabs he walks on.

I wouldn't pay $36 bucks for it, but it's a decent little game at what it does. There's nothing to hate on here.

Edit: That Motorstorm RC price is really good. Two consoles of gaming for 8 bucks? I'll buy that sight unseen, it would really need to suck to not be worth that price for what it is.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2012 around 18:33

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

VarXX posted:

God, the picture and sound quality on this thing blows my mind. Been playing Wipeout and having more fun than I thought I would.

Is there a way to add MP3s to this thing from my PC? Or do I have to download my music from Sony

You use the content manager app on the Vita to handle the transfer, just need to have the software running on the PC for it to communicate with it. (I hook up to my PS3 so I can't help beyond that.)

On the extended live Giant Bomb quicklook the other night, they showed the custom soundtracks in action. They paused Wipeout mid-game, went out to the music app and started a song playing, then hopped back into the game and the music kept playing and replaced the in-game music. Looked pretty good, and I'd be interested in messing with this to see if it is a system-wide thing or requires each game to support it individivually.

It's pretty cool opening up Near and seeing the activity feeds of what you guys are up to. I like how you can like and comment on things people have done on their Vita recently, the social integration stuff on this thing is top notch. Give Sony their due, they've really aced that part of things.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

I can't stop playing the Michael Jackson game. Those bloody challenges and unlocks are staggered in just a way I'm compelled to do one "just one more". Ridiculously addictive. And now I'm obsessing over why I haven't unlocked any of the gloves. Oh god why won't it give me any gloves and what the gently caress do they do?

I literally cannot keep my feet still while playing, I have to thrash them around on the bed like I have St Vitus' Dance or something. That never happened playing EBA.

FoolishLobster posted:

How does the screen look with it on? I'm always worried screen protectors would lessen the awesomeness of screens. I've considered a screen protector for my Vita but I have a Samsung Galaxy S that've had for a year with no screen protector and I have yet to get a scratch on it.

Properly applied screen protectors are effectively invisible. The only thing I do notice is that they accumulate sweaty fingerprints a little quicker, needing to be wiped a little more often. Do put on a protector though, because once one of your devices gets even a tiny scratch it is heartbreaking to have the mark glaring out at you accusingly.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Jammer Jones posted:

I played some of my PSN PSP titles on the Vita, not bad at all, it's a little blurred not not too noticeable, makes me want to convert whatever I have on UMD to a PSN download if available

It's worth repeating a thousand times as it's almost a hidden option, but everyone playing PSP games needs to turn on the bilinear filtering which is off by default. Press and hold on the screen and turn it on. Makes the bluriness almost vanish, it's a magic button of joy.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

LoudLoudNoise posted:

Do you have to turn it on for each game or is it a one-time only thing? And in that respect, does it also save the joystick remapping + color option?

These are all one-time changes that remain in that state until you change them.

Policenaut, dive right in, batteries don't give a gently caress these days.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

You can always charge it while you play. Let's face it, you'll be playing it for goddamn hours today. And tomorrow. And ...

Glad you finally got your hands on your new toy big fella. I'm going to open up Near and spy on your activities just because I can.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

I think I'm the only one here safe from Lumines fever as when I played it on the original PSP I just could not get into it. Clearly that's just me, judging by how many people love it.

Quick couple of things to improve your Vita social experience. Make sure Near has the sharing options turned on, and in the messaging app have it automatically check for new messages every 15 minutes.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at Feb 16, 2012 around 09:44

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Okay, important question time. Um, how do I backup my saves from my Vita games to the PS3? I can manually transfer across PSP and PSOne saves no problem, but there is no option to move Vita saves. All I can do is either copy across the entire game, all 1.6 GB of it, or choose "backup" which makes a copy of the entire contents of the memory card, all 8 GB of it.

The assumption I'm making right now is that the save data is bundled in with the game stuff, and that I would need to copy the entire game back to the PS3 to have the data on there. But that would be weird as when you copy the game from the PS3 to the Vita it deletes it from the PS3.

Basically I just want to periodically be able to make copies of my save data in case anything happens to my Vita. Devices can be replaced, 60 hour save files are in many ways more valuable. Right now I don't actually know how to do it on PS3. What am I doing wrong?

(I will probably hook it up to my laptop to see about backing it up there, but I wanted to use my PS3 as the main hub.)

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Chances are if you really didn't enjoy Lumines on PSP, you will not suddenly start enjoying it on PS-Vita.

Oh absolutely, I have no reason at all to ever try it again. I am however, leaning towards possibly maybe grabbing that silly golf game.

This is an odd console launch. I already have three games I am delighted with, and I'm really looking forward to both Gravity Rush and Mortal Kombat. I'll probably grab Super Stardust at some point, possible Escape Plan once it gets goon approval, and definitely the Motorstorm RC game. For the first few weeks of a console's life that's plenty to be going on with, certainly more than other consoles I got early. Plus, there is a wealth of PSP titles I suddenly want to splurge on.

I think that with the prospect of Remote Play being a very good thing down the line, I'm going to spring for Plus. Things like Far Cry 2 being a freebie don't excite me by themselves because I already have it for Xbox. But if down the line I cold remote play that then oh baby.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at Feb 16, 2012 around 16:28

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Vinlaen posted:

That's great to hear about Tactics Ogre and Half-Minute Hero! I'm really happy if it's only P3P that doesn't look that great...

If anybody has tried any other PSP games that look good please let me know (ie. Ys Seven, Trails in the Sky, Patapon, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, etc)

I only briefly tried MHFU to see if it worked, and it has been so long since I played it that I didn't have it open long. Seemed okay, but I need to give it a more thorough viewing.

I have Jeanne d'Arc open right this moment as someone a few posts up was asking about it. I think it looks bloody lovely actually, I had forgotten what a well put together game it is. Crisp colourful graphics, decent writing for what it is, not too anime if you know what I mean. The dialogue is in nice bold font so that isn't blurry at all and (I like to rock the filter) the character portraits have only the slightest of softness to them. I've just got far enough in to get to the battle screen, and there are obviously lots of smaller numbers and things displayed. I still think it looks fine overall.

But yeah, I'll stand behind a solid recommendation for Jeanne d'Arc both as a game, and for how it looks on the Vita.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Vinlaen posted:

Any reason to play through the game again? I beat it a while ago and definitely loved it as well...

I dunno on that score. It was the first game I bought for my Go back when I got it, but I didn't own that device long as it was given to a friend. All I know is that I played enough to make me realise it was pretty drat awesome and I am very happy to finally have a chance to get back to it. And there is still Tactics Ogre and FFT to look forward to as well.

At this cold time of the year, I just don't want to sit on my chair in front of the big TV, I just want to veg out in bed with a handheld. The Vita came at the right time.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Primoman posted:

I might put off on Uncharted, as the GB quicklook was rather underwhelming. I shared the group's sentiments on how the touchscreen stuff felt forced, and the lack of epic set pieces was also a bummer.

Basically, I don't think it's worth the $45-$50 price range, and since I still can't decide on a third game to justify the Target B2G1, I might just stick with Lumines and one or two PSP games.

I posted a whole bunch about Uncharted in the old thread, you can skip back to that if you want my full drivellings. The tl;dr is that yeah, there's a lot of shoehorned in touchscreen silliness, and the lack of anything big is a bit sad. But you know what, once you get used to the controls (and tweak them in settings), and get further into the story, there is a point where you realise just how good it actually is. It's a smaller Uncharted story than the others, that's for sure, but it's still Uncharted. I've found it holds up very well on a second playthrough hunting for treasures. Also, most of the bullshit as regards touchscreen stuff is all frontloaded, later in the game it's far less present.

I put it this way, if you still rate Uncharted 1 as being a good game then you'll like Golden Abyss a lot. If you fall more into the "UC1 is a bit ropey but UC2 is awesome" camp then you'll be bothered by bits of Golden Abyss.

Price wise ... well yeah the price is an issue. I got it used so the discount helped a lot. Don't be put off entirely though, when you can get it for a price you can agree with it's a good game. The only problem it really has is that UC2 exists. All similar games are going to suffer by comparison.

And to the goon a few posts up, Valkyria Chronicles looks okay on the Vita. The stylised art seemed to survive the upscaling. Only played a bit as I still have the PS3 game on my own backlog, but I saw nothing to make me regret picking up this one.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Primoman posted:

It's a compelling argument, but as I mentioned before, I've yet to finish Uncharted 3. Plus with the Vita already being pricey as it is, it seems like I would be better off waiting for a price drop then splurging on launch day.

Did they mention anything about getting PS2 games to work on the Vita? That would be a heck of a thing, and would go a long way in convincing me to buy their PSN re-releases.

The big FAQ they put out specifically said the Vita will not play PS3 or PS2 games. I'm choosing to believe that at some point in the future they will try and get PS2 emulation onto this thing, but right now their stated priorities are to first get full PSP backwards compatibility, and then to get PSOne classics running natively. Plus they have a bunch of apps and other functionality to get running, Netflix, Facebook, Twitter etc. Then they'll want to get Remote Play working.

Yeah, they've got a whole shitload of stuff still to do, but what's there right now is fantastic and it will be glorious once all the missing pieces are in place.

If, and it is clearly an if, if they could get PS2 classics running on it then oh my loving god this thing would be godly.

While we are dealing with what ifs, is there any technical reason why they couldn't do reverse Remote Play? As in, use the same technology to stream the Vita's picture out via a PS3? Apple streams the screen of iOS devices to televisions via the AppleTV, and in this wireless age it would make sense if the Vita could do TV out by using the PS3 as a bridge. But this is all in my head, I don't know if it is technically possible in the future. Anyone knowledgable want to step up and kill my dreams?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So hate to be that guy but are all the launch titles in the OP?

I'm really not sure which games to pick up, I have Uncharted, Rayman, and Katamari yet I really wanna take advantage of the Target deal and not sure what games are recommended.

Policenaut runs a tight ship, his OP covers everything.

As to your second point: get Wipeout 2048. I wasn't even a Wipeout fan before this and it still rocks my world.

Edit: gently caress it, I'm not proud. I need someone with the Michael Jackson game and a PS3 to get in touch about doing some ad-hoc party multiplayer. There is one trophy, and several in-game challenges that require multiplayer wins. I've been playing an unhealthy amount of that game and god drat it Mickey J needs to unlock some more gloves.

Also, Google has only helped me find one of the secret freestyle sequences so far, so I need ... I need ... I need to stop talking about my odd obsession with this game in public don't I? Well, that too I guess.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at Feb 19, 2012 around 15:41

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Dantes posted:

I understand you. Is there a way to ad-hoc without being physically near ?

Also can you post the secret freestyle you found ? Pretty please ?

The sequence I found was for Ghosts. Found it by trawling YouTube comments on shaky videos of 3DS gameplay with the 3D slider set all the way to the top so it was unwatchable. That is how deep down the rabbit hole I have fallen. Anyway the sequence for that song was as follows:

Circle to the left.
Then flick up, up-left, left, down-left, down, down-right, right, up-right, up.
Circle to the right.

It didn't work on two other songs I tried it on, they must be specific to each track.

And yes, I'm hoping ad-hoc party via PS3 will work. I've never used that before, but it's a good time to try.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Dantes posted:

I can't make it work

Did you try watching the "On demand performance" for a song to see if it's possible to find the sequence by looking at it ? I'm seriously asking because I can't find a way to get clues about a secret sequence that would be that long. You can't just randomly stumble upon something like that.

I've thought about doing this, because as you say gently caress doing it at random. I've unlocked a few of the performances, I'll need to check those against the challenge lists.

I just tried ad hoc party and apparently I need to plug in an Ethernet cable. Would rather have it confirmed that it works with Vita before I go rearranging my consoles though.

Edit: drat. The on demand videos just have MJ doing the default animation when it gets to the freestyle sections, so no clues there. On Bad and Black or White they are short sequences at least. Hopefully some GameFAQS sperg lord will crack the mystery soon.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at Feb 19, 2012 around 18:39

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Valsu posted:

I've been enjoying Dungeon Hunter so far. I know people have been putting DH down because of its iOS roots and has next to no story, but it's still fun to run around and smash stuff with an axe.

No one has been criticising the game. It's just the extortionate price hike for the Vita version that has taken some flak. It should have been a ten dollar downloadable and poo poo would have been cool.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

A game called Retro City Rampage is coming to the PS3 and Vita.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...s-vita-and-ps3/

And here's a trailer for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6sM...be_gdata_player

Looks pretty rad actually. Price it right and I'll be down for this.

Edited to remove the suggestion it was buy one, get both, which seems to have been only a product of my fevered imagination and for which I can only apologise. This is what I get for posing at 2 AM.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at Feb 20, 2012 around 18:35

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Actually, I may have misspoke when I said it was buy one, get both. I had a bunch of things open at once, and going back to check now I can't find a confirmation of that. I guess I should slap myself down right now in case I accidentally get anyone else's hopes up falsely.

God drat it, I'm sure I read that, let me try and find it again. I want it to be true, and not just in my head. My apologies to all.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

flyboi posted:

I added a copy of Lumines to my queue on gamefly so I'll play around and if anyone is interested I'll post my findings here. Not really sure if you guys care or not.

All info is good info, this stuff is always important to someone. Keep on it dude.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

I just remembered that someone in the last thread asked if games had separate save slots just like the PSP did. They were asking as they wanted to be able to share one console with a brother and be able to keep their progress separate. At the time, I only had Uncharted and that does save in separate slots like PSP games did.

Just wanted to update with the fact that both Wipeout and the Michael Jackson game do NOT have separate save slots so they are really just designed for one player's game progress to be tracked. This is a bit annoying actually, as I'm incredibly fussy about keeping my trophies, achievements, game unlockables, stats etc as pure as possible. I hate the idea that I can't just let someone else have a quick go on my game because it might count towards game progress that I wanted to achieve myself. Petty maybe, but allowing for multiple players on a single system is an important thing in my book. Anyway, just wanted to update the situation in case that goon is still reading.

Oh, I also found today that you cannot copy things to or from a PS3 if that console isn't connected to the Internet. That could end up being problematic for some.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Similar to Shards of Fate, I have a question regarding cross region games. I was playing some more Uncharted earlier, which is still awesome thanks for asking, and afterwards I saw on the PS Blog that they are releasing a paid DLC which is a digital guide to all the collectibles. By all accounts it will be dirt cheap, and I guess it's not a bad idea. It suddenly reminded me though that I don't have the Black Market thing for trading collectibles that everyone else has.

The Uncharted I have is a physical cart from the Hong Kong region. The only PSN account I have ever had is a US store account, and my trophies and such are registering that ok. Some questions then:

1/ Are the different regions of the game updated separately, as in I need to wait for them to patch the HK version?

2/ Will my Hong Kong game cart still be patched if I only have a US PSN account? (I would assume yes as my local PS3 games get updates and paid DLC from the US store no problem, but the Vita may be different.)

I'm just wondering why you guys have the Black Market and I don't. If the different regions thing is going to be an issue then I need to plan any future purchases carefully. I saw some good deals on game carts in town recently that's made me question my all-digital desires. If they can't be updated or will miss out on DLC then I'll stick to plan A and get the digital ones to avoid any hassles.

Oh, and I asked before but no-one had any answers, but how do I make a backup of my game saves? I can transfer PSP saves to and from the PS3 no problem, but the option doesn't exist for the Vita games. I just want a copy of the data in case anything happens to the device. The "backup" option for the Vita copies literally the entire contents of the card, and an 8 GB sync when all I want to do is save the updated progress in one game is overkill.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Blodskur posted:

Holy gently caress EU PSN guys, download the Uncharted Maps DLC and you'll get the entire game for 79p right now.

Oh Sony.

Well you heard the man, go go go, goonrush that deal while it lasts.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

EDIT for Parkingtigers

Sadly, even if you have a cart, the DLC is tied to whatever region it was released in. I don't know about game performance patches - like Wipeout got - but you can't get the US DLC with your HK copy, I believe. My fd

Well if anyone knows any way around this then please let me know. If Uncharted does get multiplayer patched in as mentioned, then I'll be wanting that. Would it for example work if I were to setup a local account, swap to that and patch the game, then swap back again? I'm guessing not.

The odd thing is that I've tethered it to my US account for trophies and stuff. Bah, frustrating.

Still, it's only the one game, and at least now I know to only get any future purchases from the US PSN as I originally planned. With patches and DLC potentially being a big deal on the Vita, I don't want to miss out in stuff even if it means paying a slight price premium over versions I can find in the local shops.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Leyburn posted:

That's what I get for working an extra hour tonight. Ohh well, I ended up buying Super Stardust, Motorstorm RC and Vice City stories anyway. Hopefully all this will fit onto my measly 4Gb card tomorrow.

Motorstorm RC is out already? Oh, wait, you're buying from the UK store aren't you?

Vice City Stories is fantastic, the soundtrack alone is the best drat thing. I have rips of those that I listen to out of the game because it's just pure '80s gold. The best advice I can give you is to immediately change the driving controls to option 2. The game can't take advantage of the right analogue stick as they didn't use face buttons for the camera (because back then that would have been retarded). To shoot left or right while driving, the default setup has you hold down the left shoulder button and then use the analogue stick to aim left or right out of the car, while the other shoulder button is the handbrake. This is ... well it's not very user-friendly. Driving control scheme 2 remaps the handbrake to the face buttons and let's you use the shoulder buttons to look left and right. As the analogue stick allows you to angle the camera up and down while driving, this effectively gives you all the 4 trigger controls of a dual shock on the 2 trigger PSP setup. I highly recommend it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Leyburn posted:

Cool. Good advice, I'll keep it in mind.

Yeah Motorstorm RC is up on the UK Store. There's something really nice about paying less than 6 quid for a game, and getting the PS3 and PS Vita versions for the money. Sony should definitely encourage more of this kind of thing. It was only 7.99 for Super Stardust Delta + DLC and Vice City weighed in at 6.99.

Ridge Racer is only costing me 15 too and I'm getting some free downloadable courses and cars with that.

I'm absolutely loving the pricing of all this stuff. That's 4 games for 36, which is just about the same as one full price game.

Wow those are really good prices. The GTA Stories games are still both twenty bucks in the US store, and 15 bucks for the Super Stardust. Guess it makes up for some of the silly prices that were quoted earlier in the thread. If they were pricing VCS at that price then they might have some other good deals on PSP games too. Was Liberty City Stories at the same price? That was a lot clunkier, and lacked the period charm of Vice City, but if it was 7 quid then you couldn't go wrong for a bit of GTA III nostalgia.

I want that Motorstorm game to hurry up and get to the US store. I think I should just about have enough money left on my account to grab it day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Pathard posted:

I get payed tomorrow night, and I'll be walking into BestBuy on Thursday/Friday for a Wi-Fi Vita and a 8GB Memory Card. My question though, before I do this, has PSOne Classic play-ability been confirmed in a future patch? Remote play just wont work for me twenty miles away.

PSOne native play is definitely coming, we're just not sure when. It's supposed to be sooner rather than later though, PSP backwards compatibility was their first priority, but the PSOne stuff is second on the list.

«13 »