Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wonder if the title Final Fantasy Type-0 HD implies that it will be coming to the PS3 as well.

From what I've played of the Japanese version, this is more of a Final Fantasy game than XIII and XIII-2 combined. I'm looking forward to playing co-op online as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They did give Symphony of the Night a new translation and voice-over.

For those of us who are used to reading aloud the dialogue from memory, it's a bit off-putting.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The problem with the first Project Diva game was the stuttering frame rate. This makes hitting the notes much harder than it ought to be, especially when they don't really correspond to the song very well.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Last but not least, Sony's supposed Souls game "Soul Sacrifice" might get the US nod there.

On the small chance that this is part of the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls series, how would you go about making this type of game on a handheld?

One challenge would be maintaining the darkness without being impossible to see while outdoors. Another would be keeping the same online play, which removes the ability to pause.

The controls would be tricky to assign, considering the original games used all four triggers as well as the two thumbstick buttons. You could simplify the two attacks by tapping R for a weak attack, and holding for a strong one, and be able to parry by pressing L just before an attack connects.

What could the two touchscreens and the motion sensor be used for?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

On another note, one thing I would like to know is - is anyone else here really annoyed at all the classic game ports hitting phones and tablets right now that would be far better to play with the Vita's buttons? GTAIII was first, then came Max Payne, and now loving MvC2. I mean, come on. If these devs are going to port these games to phones already, wouldn't it be very easy to port them to a Vita?

I wonder if it's due to the ease of publishing on a handheld, and the high sales even for games which are practically unplayable.

Capcom have released a large number of console ports, from Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry 4 to even Street Fighter IV. They even made an atrocious Mega Man X 'remake', which requires precise controls the most out of all of them.

It would be great if these could be released on the Vita, with a small price tag to match, but I'm sure Capcom know that they could release them at full price instead.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

How are you guys finding the new voice acting in Symphony of the Night?

Unfortunately, like any true Castlevania nerd, I have everything so well memorised that I can't help but shout the dialogue along with the characters.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DISC INTO THE PLAYSTATION. ITS SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ALUCARD. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME SKELETON BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE UPSIDE DOWN CASTLES MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

IRSmurf posted:

I am so glad I held out on buying a Vita now.

That is, as long as this gets released outside of Japan...

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

robodex posted:

While (sort of) on the subject of Remote Play, does anyone know if the Vita improved at all on the PSPs capabilities? I found when I first got my PSP and I was remote playing some PS1 games it was kind of choppy at times and there was a noticeable lag. It was also pretty obvious I was just streaming a video feed (compression artifacts and the like.) Is the Vita any better at this or is this just par for the course?

I only ask because I have a ton of PSP/PS1 games on my PS3 and I'm wondering if I should wait until BC is an actual feature and more PSP games are officially supported before I dive in and get a Vita.

You should try messing around with the settings, because cranking up the video quality to max and video latency to minimum make games like Final Fantasy VII play just as good as they would natively.

When you're connected to the PS3 through a LAN, use the highest video quality (1Mb/s), otherwise drop it down. The latency setting should be set high when watching videos, because it reduces audio pops, but it should be reduced for games.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

God, I played and grinded so many hours in Castlevania HD on the PS3 that when I finally got to Dracula in Dracula X Chronicles, I kicked his rear end on the first try and only took 2 hits.

You are a God amongst men. Or you played as Maria.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The Vita right now serves me well as "PS3 I don't need to take up the TV with." I've used it for Blazblue, Tactics Ogre and Disgaea (All ports/remakes) and think it was worth it. I'm looking forward to Gravity Crash as far as original games go, but something tells me I'm gonna be playing a whole lot of ports on the thing

The best thing would be if all save files were compatible between PS3 and Vita games, but due to minor changes in the games, and the stupid way the Vita handles save games, this isn't likely to happen. Transfarring sorta does this, but if this was done automatically, then the Vita really would be an untethered home console.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at May 6, 2012 around 12:27

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

How do Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3's character models stand up against Mortal Kombat's?

I know it isn't an exact comparison, due to the formers' cel-shaded artwork, but UMvC3 can have up to six characters on screen at once, while MK will only ever have two. This gives MK less of an excuse to have characters that look like they belong on the 3DS.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

This poo poo will follow the Vita until the end of its life.

I don't know, Sony's managed to finally shift the "PS3 has no games" label after getting some really solid exclusive games for the system.

The bigger problem would be the opposite, where releases slowly peter out over the lifespan of the console, like what happened with the PSP in the west. I didn't buy a single game for my launch DS for the entire first year until Mario Kart came out, but despite that it became one of the most popular consoles in history.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Bottom line is that the texture work in MK is just bad regardless of zoom and aliasing.

Definitely, you can see a seam running down Sub-Zero's back on that screenshot. Less processing power isn't an excuse for lazy texturing, especially since the Vita has more RAM overall than the PS3.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wish they'd release a silver one. A matte one would be great, but chrome tends to be a little overkill.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It on the other hand PS1 games really gently caress up the aspect ratio on the PS3 and PSP.

In the PS Upscaler option, use Normal instead of Full Screen.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Then you get a big black box on the sides though, if this was redone for the PSP it should have proper widescreen.

I remember there being a fan-made patch for widescreen on the PSP version, but I can't seem to find it. Of course, it would be pretty buggy for one-screen wide rooms.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Blodskur posted:

I expect it to be £40. Uncharted is £40. Resistance will be £40. loving SCEE.

Most, if not all stores in the UK sell games for £10 less than their RRP. Nearly every game is sold for £40, but some brand new games on the PSN will cost you £50.

I'd love for the Playstation consoles to fully support digital distribution, but charging more for digital copies than for physical ones is ridiculous. At least they now have weekly sales, which meant I could pick up the Sly Trilogy cheaper than I'd ever seen it in stores.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

5er posted:

Doesn't matter what platform sees it, if Burnout Paradise 2 does not feature restarting races and bringing you back to the start line, I'll leave it on the shelf. The most aggravating thing with Burnout Paradise was having to drive your own sorry, failed rear end back to the start line for a do-over.

The ability to restart a race was added in a patch, if I recall.

The two reasons why I'd prefer a Burnout 3 style game is because I hate having to navigate, and I miss the proper crash mode.

Just imagine what a next-gen crash mode would be like, with realistic cars crumpling, windows shattering, wheels dislodging and gas tanks exploding. Instead, we just got a mode where we flop around.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

el_brio posted:

Well, the PSone ports will definitely be nice but something tells me Sony is going to try to sell them for waaaaaay to much money. $5 a game? Sure. $20 seems a lot more likely and not worth it in my opinion.

You can already buy PSOne games, which can be played on either the PS3 or PSP. Sony are still working on the Vita emulator.

Most games are between $5 and $10, which is good because undamaged multi-disc games can be quite expensive now.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

On the PSP, there were some hacks which enhanced the performance of its games, such as overclocking the CPU from 222 MHz to 333 MHz. This allowed you to get better performance out of many games, such as in Metal Slug Anthology, which has a lot of slowdown without it.

I wonder if the Vita does something similar, seeing as the PSP emulation wouldn't drain the battery nearly as fast as a Vita game, even with overclocking.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

How many games use 3G, and in what ways?

After seeing that LittleBigPlanet trailer, I'd love to be able to download levels from the internet, even if 4-player co-op might not be possible over 3G. Is there anything that has really benefited from always-on connection?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/25/jet...ng-to-the-vita/

I was going to wait for the first hardware revision before getting a Vita.

In the last week, they've announced Sly 4, PlayStation All Stars, Super Monkey Ball for it and now Jet Set Radio.

I don't think I can wait over a month for my birthday. I need one right now.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Uncharted is a side game made by a different studio,

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that these guys also made Bubsy 3D.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Have Media Molecule said much about compatibility between LBP2 and the Vita game?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Call of Duty is the Vita's big chance to expand its userbase, and provide a kind of game that isn't possible on mobile phones.

If millions of people end up buying the console just for a terrible cash-in, there's going to be a huge backlash. Publishers can't make the same mistakes that they did with the PSP, by promising to provide console-quality games without the same budgets or development teams.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Is there any chance of a micro SD converter like there was for the PSP's memory sticks, or is there encryption preventing that?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Final Fantasy Type-0 needs to be released for the Vita. A new Final Fantasy game would attract a lot of new owners, and it put the Vita's features to good use, like the second analogue stick and its online support.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

nerdz posted:

hmmm, machinarium was a flash game wasnt it? this gives me hopes for super meat boy/ binding of isaac on the vita.

There's a game like Super Meat Boy called N+, which was released on the PSP. I don't know if it's compatible for the Vita, though.

My only problem with it is that you need to beat a batch of levels for it to save your progress.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It'd be impossible through emulation, so each game would need to be ported from scratch. It took Sony half a decade to get a working software emulator running on the PS3, so we're not going to see one for a much weaker piece of hardware.

The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection on the Vita doesn't run at the full native resolution of the Vita, and doesn't feature the improved 60 fps frame rate for MGS2's cutscenes and the whole of MGS3. It is just a slightly higher resolution version of the PS2 games, and that's after each game has been ported individually.

Emulation requires a massive amount of processing power, and has trouble with the more advanced games on the system. The PS2 Classics library is mostly made up of titles that were easy to emulate, so just because it can run those games fine, it would still have difficulty with games like Shadow of the Colossus.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SamBishop posted:

Holy loving poo poo, LittleBigPlanet is a technical marvel the likes of which I didn't think we would see on the Vita for another year or two. It seriously looks indistinguishable from CG at times, the odd texture notwithstanding.

The embargo for the preview build Sony kicked out lifts in just under a week and I'm in love. And this is after hundreds of hours of LBP2 for that loving guide.

Will you be writing a guide for LittleBigPlanet Karting as well?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Does the new Remote Play patch for ICO/SOTC and God of War work for the PSP as well?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

BumbleChump posted:

I hate it when people make fake rumors about stuff like this. I'd rather just say it now. Kat will not be in PS Allstars. Don't ask me how I know this, but I'm 100% sure.

Are there still new characters to be announced?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

You will have to unlock Symphony of the Night and the original Rondo of Blood, but it's not too tricky if you read a guide. The version of Symphony of the Night included also has a new translation and new voice acting.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

OxMan posted:

So, I need some help. I have the PS3 memory card dongle thing for PS2/PS1 memory cards. I'm trying to get a memory card image from the PS1 memory card to the Vita to load on a PS1 game. Making a memory card image to the PS3 seems to lock it to it, because I can't find any option to copy the memory card. How are you exactly supposed to do this? I've tried googling and have found no tutorial on this exact subject and I'm going insane trying to figure it out.

Have you tried creating a new memory card on the Vita, and transferring the save files individually?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I was thinking of buying a Vita after trying LittleBigPlanet and Battle Royale at Eurogamer Expo, but I'll wait for either a price cut or PS+ support.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Here's some ideas to improve Dissidia, use the improved processing power to accurately portray Amano's artwork, then hire a decent writer.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Fisher King posted:

Winamp's shuffle brought out the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack, making me remember how much I'd love to have the HD Remake available on the Vita since I don't have a PS3...

It is available on the Vita!

...through Remote Play. Which requires a PS3.

Anyway, one of the interesting things in the soundtrack is the final boss music that wasn't used. It's definitely a lot different from the one in the game, which is much more sombre.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Although I've only used Remote Play with the PSP, the frame rate is locked to 30 fps (the same as both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus). As Fauxtool said, the input delay can be a problem, but you change change the settings to either reduce the packet size (more responsive, but there's audio pops) or increase it (good for streaming audio and video).

The library of games that support it is slim, and the only others I can think of are the God of War collection, and Bionic Commando Rearmed. However, the entire PSOne back catalogue works, in case you're pressed for memory card space.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Not just the downloadable PSOne Classics, either. You can toss an old PSOne disk in your PS3 and play it from wherever you have an Internet collection, as long as you don't mind the input lag. I beat an entire dungeon in Mega Man Legends 2 from a hotel room seven hundred miles from my PS3.

Living in the future is pretty rad.

That's awesome! I had no idea it worked with discs too. Now I really want to get a copy of King's Field so I can play it away from home.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

I always found the lag to make remote play of PS1 games unbearable, and that's playing a FInal Fantasy game. The remote play added for God of War collection seemed pretty awesome though from the little I played though.

The God of War and Team ICO collections use a new type of Remote Play that isn't compatible with the PSP, just the Vita. It probably supports higher resolutions too, because the PSP was only 480 by 272, and the Vita has four times that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yechezkel posted:

Q: Iím just downloaded the digital version of a game I had in physical format but I canít seem to access my game save from the game. How do I access my save content?
A: Some games may require the game card inserted into the PS Vita to access the save data. However, as a Plus member, you can upload that game save data to the Online Game Save area. Then re-download it to your PS Vita. From there you should be able to access that save data from the digital version of the game.

This means that I can rent games, and continue my save file even if I decide to buy it later.

«9 »