Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«463 »
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Temporary FAQ for the new version:

Q) How do I get into the sewers?
A) You can find [sewer access] while in fast travel in town. Just look for "sewer access" in the same box where store names, etc are listed. Once found, zoom in and look for stairs going down from ground level.

There are three main modes to DF: fortress mode, adventurer mode, and legends mode. Fortress mode is the most played to date, although adventurer mode is receiving a good number of upgrades with this release. Legends mode is more of a utility than a proper game mode.

Fortress Mode:

By far the most widely-played mode, this is the fortress-building aspect of the game. In this mode, you start with a group of seven dwarves, skilled and equipped as you wish, and attempt to create a thriving, successful fortress. You will need to dig or build a place for your dwarves to live, farm, train for battle, and produce goods. Migrants will occasionally show up to join your fortress, children will be born, thieves and raiders will attempt to take what is yours, and the occasional forgotten beast will show up to hassle you. Think of it as an ant-farm full of dwarves. For the most part, the thread will likely be focused on this mode. Fortress mode would best be described as an RTS city-builder.

More detailed info on fortress mode can be found in the second post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...1#post400576107

Adventurer Mode:

Previously more or less a placeholder, adventurer mode is seeing a lot of upgrades with this release. In this mode, you create and take control of a single hero, with which you will wander the world and perform amazing feats of bravery and cunning. Explore the world at your leisure, or accept quests from townsfolk and attempt to shape the world to your desire. Adventurer mode would best fit in the 3rd-person adventure genre.

More detailed info on adventurer mode can be found here in the third post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...0#post400576122

Legends Mode:

One of the most-loved aspects of DF is its richly detailed and ridiculously specific randomly-generated history. Historical figures abound, battles are waged and won, civilizations rise and fall. This mode gives you a direct peek into the history of a world. Curious who the current ruler of the largest human civilization is? Want to know how many dwarves a certain magical beast has killed? Want to know what their names were? Want to find out that one of them died from being shaken to death by his left back molar? This is the mode that will answer all those questions and more. Legends mode is less gameplay and more of a utility.

DF can be downloaded for free from http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ for all major platforms. If you’re running Windows it is generally recommend that you just grab the Lazy Newb Pack, which contains a number of helper apps and automatic configuration and the like. As of the time of this writing, the Lazy Newb Pack was up to date with v0.34.07 and can be found via the bay12 forums here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

Vanilla DF uses text in order to represent a top-down view. However, there are a lot of graphics sets that you can install with minimal effort. There are many many different tilesets you can use, and once you figure out how to install one, it becomes pretty easy to fiddle around with them.

However, if you're not interested in going the DIY route for installation, the Lazy Newb Pack provides a simple mechanism for setting up graphics, and comes with several sets pre-installed. Otherwise, there are instructions for manually installing graphics sets below (useful for non-Windows platforms.)

The most common advice is to just start playing, and losing. One of the main credos of DF is, "Losing is fun!" And you will lose. Many times. In fact, by most accounts it's impossible to actually win in DF, since the game effectively continues forever. It's more a matter of how spectacularly you fail, and how long it takes. The biggest failures often produce some of the more interesting "creative writing" accounts of the disasters. You'll likely learn to enjoy these situations. Either that, or you'll run away screaming.

Feel free to ask about any bugs or confusing game aspects here in the thread. The seasoned players have probably all gone through what you’re experiencing and don’t mind answering questions, no matter how silly they may seem. Also, DF-fans love talking about DF almost as much as actually playing it (sometimes more), and something as simple as “How do I farm?” could lead to all sorts of discussions.

Additionally, many players like to keep the DF wiki open while they play, even veterans. There is simply so much to know about DF that holding all you need to know in your brain at the same time is often an impossible task. So fire up that web browser and point it at http://df.magmawiki.com!

In general, take a quick look at data/init/init.txt and similar files and see if anything catches your eye there. It is one of the few well-self-documented files that accompanies DF, and a lot of basic alterations can be made there, including resolution, graphics sets, autosaving, weather and related, and a lot of other miscellaneous options. Of course, if you’re on Windows, just use the Lazy New Pack to accomplish in one click any of the following:

Seasonal saves/backups:
This one comes from d_init.txt and by default is right at the top. There are three options: AUTOSAVE, AUTOBACKUP, AND AUTOSAVE_PAUSE. In order:

AUTOSAVE: NONE, SEASONAL, YEARLY: This sets how often you want the game to automatically save your progress. NONE is no automatic saves at all, SEASONAL is once every season change (spring, summer, fall, winter) and YEARLY is at the new year. Enabling seasonal saves is a good idea, since DF can sometimes get a bit buggy, and with this new release, there are bound to be numerous crash-inducing issues.

AUTOBACKUP: YES, NO: When performing an autosave, controls whether a new save is created or the previous save is overwritten. Good for creating incremental saves of your game if you’re a dirty, filthy save-scummer.

AUTOSAVE_PAUSE: YES, NO: This option simply controls whether the game pauses or not when an autosave is completed. It is recommend that if you use autosaves (a good idea) you turn this option on, since the autosave can pop up in the middle of performing an action.

Removing aquifer from the world:
Sometimes, you want to be able to embark anywhere there's land and not have to worry about piercing through aquifers and the like. This is a little more complicated to do by hand, so use the LNP to change it if you can, but if that doesn’t work for you (because you’re on Linux or OS X), open up the root level of your DF installation and navigate to raw/objects and remove all instances of [AQUIFER] (including the square brackets) from the following files: inorganic_stone_layer.txt, inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, inorganic_stone_soil.txt

For the above change to take effect, you will need to generate a new world. If you wish to apply it to a world you have already generated, just do the same thing to the same files in data/save/region_you_wish_to_change/raw/objects

Be aware that the above will NOT remove aquifers from a fortress you are already playing.

Installing tilesets and graphics:
Tilesets are incredibly handy if, like many other people, you just don’t like staring at the default text glyphs used by DF.

First, the default look, without graphics:

Second, the exact same location, area, and objects, but this time with graphics:

If the second screenshot seems more attractive to you, configuring DF to look that way is a breeze. If you’re on Windows, you should be able to simply run LNP and switch to the Graphics tab, select the set you want (the above screenshot was taken using the Phoebus set) and install it.

Of course, if you’re not able to use LNP, getting graphics sets installed is still easy, just a bit more manual. In general, any graphics set you want to install will include a few image files and some new raw files, to be placed in your raw/graphics directory, and/or in your data/save/whatever_region/raw/graphics directory for pre-existing worlds. Once that is done, you will also likely need to update your init.txt file to point to the correct tile set. Look for the FONT and FULLFONT directives.

For all you could ever want to know about graphics and DF, check out the official wiki:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Tilesets
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/G..._set_repository

The Lazy Newb Pack: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0 Includes pretty much everything you need, so start here! (Windows only)

The game: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
The wiki: http://df.magmawiki.com/ For all your specific information needs; a lot of people just play with this open in the background for quick referencing
The bug tracker: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/ Help the game get better by reporting bugs

The previous thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3293395 Contains links to prior threads as well

The official DF irc channel: irc://irc.newnet.net/#Bay12Games In case you want to chat with some other DF nerds besides us
DF File Depot: http://dffd.wimbli.com/ Tilesets, etc.
Development Log: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html (RSS feed) Keep up with the latest bug fixes and plans!

Looking for a challenge? Consult the Great Dworacle!

http://gemclod.goondorfs.net: Gemclod, a recent succession LP wherein players take turns acting as overseer of a communal fortress for a year, and then pass the save file on to the next guy.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...readid=3445758: WeepAngels, an ongoing succession LP involving some pretty heavy modifications to the game.

http://goondorfs.net: a general repository for any and all df-related goon projects. Includes hosting for LPs such as WeepAngels and GemClod, the Great Dworacle, and a a number of other upcoming projects. Currently the base site is more or less empty but we’re hoping to give it some over-arching functionality in the near future to support more goon projects and the like.

An excellent rendition of one fort's downfall...and subsequent resurrection! http://www.nzfortress.co.nz/forum/showthread.php?t=20768

And lastly, a comic about getting the most out of DF:

http://df.magmawiki.com/images/4/40/FunComic.png

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at Apr 4, 2012 around 00:48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Chances are, when someone says “Dwarf Fortress,” they’re talking about this mode. In fortress mode, you start off with a group of seven dwarves and some relatively meager supplies and attempt to create a successful, thriving fortress. There are many things that can hinder your progress, and many ways to deal with those threats. One example would be the typical raiders that attempt to steal your supplies. They can be dealt with in any number of ways, from simply walling yourself in, to maintaining a well-trained and well-equipped military, to automatic magma-cannon land-mines. The only limit is how you decide to work within the system.

What follows is, believe it or not, a brief, fairly light-weight introduction to creating a fortress. The following is written somewhat as a guide, somewhat as a tutorial, and somewhat as an LP. It assumes you have little to no knowledge of DF. This is not intended as an all-inclusive walkthrough, but it should get you to the point of at least knowing how to get around in-game and get the basics of your fortress started. If you are new to DF, you will likely find yourself with more questions than when you started out, but that’s part of the goal here: to get you to the point where you can actually formulate questions that will help you progress in the game.

The first thing you’ll need to do is generate yourself a nice, fresh world to muck about in, so from the main screen, choose choose the create new world option and you’ll find yourself looking at the following:

For the most part, the default settings are fine. If you want a larger or smaller world, more or fewer civilizations, more or less mineral ore, feel free to tweak those settings. Be aware that the larger the world, and the longer the history, the longer it will take to generate, since DF literally simulates and tracks everything from the dawn of time to the moment you begin playing. Go ahead and generate your world, and once it’s done, you should see something like this:

Hit ‘enter’ to save the world and DF will do a bunch of arcane stuff and then dump you back to the title screen. However, this time you should see a new option: “Start Playing.” Select that option, and choose “Dwarf Fortress” (that’s fortress mode), and let’s get going!

The first thing you need to do is to choose your embark location. Using the arrow keys, you can move around the world and examine various locations. The right-most map shows the most zoomed-out view, the middle map shows the local region, and the left-most map shows the most zoomed-in view. Pressing tab will cycle through showing neighboring civilization, parent civilizations, an elevation map, a steepness map, and then back to the original terrain map.

For now, let’s just ignore most of that and pick a spot that seems nice. Move about the world using the arrow keys until you find a spot that has qualities similar to the list on the right in the above screenshot (temperate, at least some trees, surroundings not sinister, haunted, or terrifying, and no aquifer listed in the soil layers.) A river can be nice but is not required. Really, for your first game, choosing the perfect embark site is not all that important, since there will be plenty of other things that cause you to lose. Still, there’s no reason to abuse yourself more than is necessary right off the bat.

Once you’ve found your site, hit ‘e’ to continue. If you get a warning about aquifer, salt water, or other obstacles, consider choosing a different embark site. For the purpose of completing this guide, however, we won’t get as far as running into those issues, so if you’re having trouble finding a site, you can ignore those particular warnings. There are ways to deal with these issues, of course, but they’re probably better left for a later fortress.

The next screen asks you if you want to prepare for the journey carefully, or if you want to simply play now. For your first fortress, “play now” is fine, and you should end up with the proper supplies. Selecting the other option lets you change your fortress name, your group name, the starting skills your dwarves will have, the exact supplies you begin with, and so on. You can also save starting configurations if you create one you really like, and you can then choose that from the screen you’re currently at.

You have arrived. After a journey from the Mountainhomes into the forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally ended. Your party of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all of Monom Thum.
There are almost no supplies left, but with stout labor comes sustenance. Whether by bolt, plow, or hook, provide for your dwarves. You are expecting a supply caravan before winter entombs you, but it is Spring now. Enough time to delve secure logings, ere the cougars get hungry. A new chapter of dwarven history begins here at this place, Uremerith, “Fatherlabors”. Strike the earth!

Your introductory text will vary slightly depending on your generated world and starting location, but once you’re ready, press any key to continue. Congratulations, you are now playing DF!

By default, the game starts unpaused, so the first thing you might want to do is mash the space bar to pause things and then have a look around. Let’s take a look at what we’ve got here:

Okay, that’s a lot to take in. On the left is your actual view into the world, on the right is the region map, and in the middle is a bit of menu to help get you started. I don’t really care so much about the overview map, so let’s hit tab a couple times and change what we see.

Okay, that’s better, I can see what’s going on now. Bear in mind you can maximize the window at any time and greatly increase your screen real estate. I’ll continue with itty bitty windows for now.

So the first thing I notice is my wagon in the middle of the screen, surrounded by my hapless dwarves. It appears everything is white, and there are some mysterious b’s hanging off to the left. The down triangles are all ramps down to the next level, so I know those b’s must somehow be floating in the air over there.

To look around and examine particular squares, hit ‘k’ as in loo’k’. Makes perfect sense, right? Better get used to it! Anyhow, I now have a yellow X cursor that I can move around with the arrow keys, and information about the selected square shows up on the right. Using that cursor, I discover that the reason everything is white is because it is covered in snow, that the d and the M next to my wagon are a dog and a mule respectively, and that the mysterious b’s off to the left comprise a wake of buzzards. We’ll just ignore them for now. They may attempt to pester us a bit later on but for the immediate future, they should just charge the wagon and then shy away when they get too close to any dwarves.

The first thing to do is to get some mining going on. Since I seem to be on a hill top of some sort, I’ll move down a level (< and > move down and up respectively, but be aware that you have to hold shift when pressing those keys as , and . perform entirely different tasks.) Now that I can see the next level down, I’ll hit ‘d’ for designate, and then ‘d’ again to mine. Using the cursor and the enter key to start and end rectangles, I’ll mark out a small area to be dug out:

I then unpause the game and one of my dwarves will immediately run over and being digging out the area requested. I’ll just let him finish, and then we’ll move on.

Great, all done! Now, I was fortunate in that the ground I dug in to was all soil of some sort (sand, loam, clay, silt, etc.) instead of stone, so I can plant a farm directly on it. You can farm on stone, but doing so involves irrigation and is better left for later. With my new area ready to go, I’m going to build a small farm plot in one of those 2x2 rooms. We’ll need a bigger one later, but for now, it should do. To build a farm plot, first press ‘b’ for build and then ‘p’ for farm plot. Unlike designations, we set the area to be farmed by setting a size and then placing the rectangle. It starts off as a 1x1 farm, so hit ‘u’ to make it taller and ‘k’ to make it wider. Similarly, ‘m’ makes the area shorter and ‘h’ makes it narrower. Once I have the right size plot, I move the cursor into the room I want to farm and hit enter. Unpausing the game should lead to a dwarf running in and setting the area up for farming.

While he does that, let’s get some other work going. One thing we’ll need is a place for our dwarves to meet up. For that, we’ll need a table and some chairs. Normally, we’d make them out of a nice classy stone like microcline or an even classier metal like aluminum, but we haven’t even hit any stone yet, much less metal ore, so we’ll have to chop down a few trees and live like filthy elves. Moving the view back up to the wagon, we can see a few trees just begging to be cut down. Hit ‘d’ for designate and ‘t’ for trees, and then select an area containing a few of those nasty woodland foes. Someone should grab an axe and make logs of them in no time.

Of course, we need a way to do something useful with those freshly cut logs, so let’s build a carpenter’s workshop. Similar to the farm, we start off hitting ‘b’ for build, and this time press ‘w’ for workshop and then ‘c’ for carpenter’s workshop. You’ll get a cursor showing the outline of the workshop you’re going to build. Be aware when placing buildings in closed spaces that dark X’s will not be passable, while light X’s will be. It is quite possible to trap dwarves in their own workshops if you’re not careful! In this case, I’m just going to build it out in the open.

Once the workshop is where you want it, hit enter, and a materials screen will come up. All we have available is wood, so I’ll just hit enter to use wood, and then hit escape a couple times to back out of the menus. Momentarily, a dwarf runs over and constructs my workshop.

Next up, we have to actually order the construction of some furniture. I’m going to start with a table, two chairs, and a couple beds to start things off. To do that, we must first view the building by pressing ‘q’ and moving the cursor close enough to the workshop to highlight it. Once highlighted, press ‘a’ to add a new order. Using the +-/* keys, move about the list of possible orders until “wooden chair” is highlighted and hit enter. Alternately, just hit ‘c’ for chair. Not all orders have shortcuts, but learning the common ones is incredibly handy. “Construct wooden chair” now shows up on the workshop’s orders. Adding the rest of the furniture in a similar fashion, we should have the following:

While those orders are being fulfilled, let’s head back downstairs and get that farm running properly. Using the ‘q’ cursor again, highlight the farm (if it’s not built yet, let the game run for a bit until it is, and then continue.) Farm crops are chosen by season. Currently, we’re in spring, so hit ‘a’ to bring up the spring menu, and use the +/- keys to highlight plump helmets, and hit enter. While we’re at it, let’s just choose plump helmets for all the other seasons, too. ‘b’, ‘c’, and ‘d’ will select the summer, fall, and winter seasons respectively. For each of those, choose plump helmets.

Hit escape to back out of the menu and let the game run for a while. Moving around the map while the game is running, you should see a dwarf working the fields and another working at the carpenter’s shop. Once the carpenter is done, we need to place the furniture he’s built. To do so, press ‘b’ for build again, and then ‘t’ for table. A cursor will appear showing where you will place the table. I’ll put mine against the wall in the large room at the end of the hall. Press enter, and then enter again to select the table you wish to actually use. Then hit ‘c’ for chair, and repeat the process. Once more for the second chair, and then ‘b’ a couple times for the beds, which I will put in the room between the farm and the dining area. Escape to back out of the menus (and unpause if needed) and your dwarves should jump into action, installing the new furniture right away.

Great! We just have a few things left to do before we can call this a proper fortress. The first is to make that meager dining area a proper meeting hall. To do that, use the ‘q’ cursor to select the table we had built a minute ago. Press ‘r’ to make it a dining room, and use the +/- keys to change the size of the area. I want mine to fill the whole room, so I’ll just leave it as-is:

Press enter to confirm, and then ‘h’ to set the room as a meeting area. Now when dwarves are eating or have nothing to do, they will come here to hang out, instead of loitering about your shoddy old wagon.

Okay, just a couple more things to do: booze and the military. For the first, we need a still. And for that, we’re going to need more building supplies. Chop down a couple more trees, and then, similar to the carpenter’s workshop, ‘b’, ‘w’, and then ‘l’ for “still.” I’ll put my still right outside the entrance. It would be much better to have it inside, but that’ll just have to wait until there’s space.

There it is, right outside the cave. Oh, and the snow melted! How nice, we can see the grasses and shrubs that were hiding beneath it. Once the still is constructed, highlight it with the ‘q’ cursor and add a new task (‘a’, remember?) We want to ‘b’rew a drink, so select that. If you get an alert that you need a food storage item, don’t worry: that just means you have no empty barrels or pots. Depending on what you have available, wooden barrels can be made at the carpenter’s shop, and stone pots can be made at a craft workshop (perhaps now would be a good time to take a look at all the workshop options available in the ‘b’, ‘w’ menu?)

The last thing we need is a functioning military. To get that started, let’s first make a barracks. We’ll need some sort of focal point to base the barracks off of, so let’s just order up a wooden armor stand at the carpenter’s shop. Remember the ‘q’ cursor? Use it to add an order to “construct wooden ‘a’rmor stand” and once the stand is complete, ‘b’uild the ‘a’rmor stand in the empty room nearest the cave entrance.

Use the ‘q’ cursor to highlight the stand, ‘r’ to make it a barracks, and shrink the area down to just fit the available space. With that done, we’re now ready to venture into the military screen. Hit escape to back out of any menus you may be in, and then press ‘m’ to bring up the military window.

Okay, this is a little different, but we can handle it. First, ‘c’reate a squad. We’ll pick the default “metal armor” uniform. What this really means is that dwarves will attempt to wear the best armor up to and including metal, such as copper, iron, and steel. Press enter, and you will now have the option to assign specific dwarves to this particular squad. Now, you need to be a little careful in that you don’t want to give your woodcutter or miner 24/7 military duty, or they won’t get anything else done and your fort will grind to a halt. I haven’t bothered to actually check the labor assignments of any particular dwarves yet, so I’m just going to pick a couple that look otherwise useless at this point, in my case, a jeweler and a fisher. Just use the arrow keys to highlight the dwarves you want, and hit enter to move them to the squad.

With that out of the way, let’s take a quick look at the schedule. We won’t change anything right now, but it’s good to know that it’s there and how to examine it. Press ‘s’ to change to the schedule view.

From this view, we can see all the various squads and what months have which activities assigned to them. It looks like our guys are set to train all year round, and we’ll just leave it at that. They can certainly use the practice. Hit escape until you’re out of the military screen.

The last thing we need to do for our little squad is to give them a place to train. We’ve already set up a barracks but we need to tell them that’s where they should be training. Using the ‘q’ cursor again, highlight the armor stand we built earlier. Our new squad should show up in the list there, along with a number of different activities that can be performed at that location. Press ‘t’ to order the selected squad to train there.

Once unpaused, your two-dwarf squad should make their way to the barracks and begin training, likely via “individual combat drill.” Later on, once you have more dwarves in the militia and they are more highly skilled, group training activities will occur.

With all that accomplished, we are almost done here. While this fortress would technically survive, we need to address one more topic: stockpiles. Let’s just go ahead and set one up to store seeds from the farm. From the main screen, press ‘p’ for pile. A menu appears with a number of pre-defined stockpile settings. Those are, in general, fine for most of what you need to do. We’re going to jump straight into custom stockpiles, however, since it’s immediately useful in this case. With the stockpile menu up, select ‘c’ustom stockpile, then press ‘t’ to change the stockpile’s setting.

Initially, nothing should be enabled, but if any categories are, move the cursor to that group and ‘d’isable it. Next, move to the “food” category and ‘e’nable it. We don’t want all that crap, though! So ‘b’lock all to leave the category enabled but nothing specifically allowed. Next, move the cursor to the second column and down to “seeds.” ‘p’ermit seeds.

Escape out to the previous window. Now move your cursor to that last empty room, the one across from the bedroom. Press enter in one corner, and then move the cursor to the opposite corner and press enter again to designate the entire room. Congratulations, you now have a seed stockpile!

And with that, this fortress is complete! It’s not very impressive, though. And that’s where you come in: it’s your job to take this fortress to the next level and make it thrive. You may feel you are still often at a loss, but hopefully now you at least have the basic idea down and are perhaps formulating some actual questions to ask.

‘u’ shows the unit list, which shows your dwarves, pets, invaders, wild animals, and the deceased, as well as what everyone is doing.

‘z’ will bring up the stocks screen, which allows you to see how much food, drink, and other supplies you have available, as well as a number of other handy functions. You may notice that a lot of values have a ? mark next to them, which brings us to...

‘n’ will display the nobles screen, which allows you to assign dwarves to certain positions such as sheriff, manager, broker, and bookkeeper. That last one is important for maintaining an accurate count of your current supplies. This screen also allows you to see what various nobles require in order to accomplish their jobs. Example: the bookkeeper needs an office (a room designated from a chair and assigned to that dwarf) in order to update the stockpile records.

Stone is by far your most plentiful resource. As such, stone pots are incredibly useful for storing food and booze. You make stone pots at a craft workshop.

‘v’ is similar to the ‘q’ cursor except it shows creature info instead of displaying information about buildings. By using this cursor, you can set the labor preferences for specific dwarves, so that you can choose your miner and woodcutter and crafter carefully and specifically. However, this is an incredibly cumbersome way to control dwarf labors, and you should instead be using Dwarf Therapist, which comes with the Lazy Newb Pack, and is also available for OS X.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2012 around 22:23

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Because there were a number of large changes to adventurer mode, a more accurate description of what is available will be coming soon, once we’ve actually had time to explore around a bit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Reserved for whatever, maybe known issues that come up right after the release.

1) On OS X 10.7, game crashes on startup Fixed but I'll leave it here for now anyhow.
To fix this, right-click or command-click the “df” file in the root level of your Dwarf Fortress folder and open it in a text editor. Replace the entire contents with the following:
code:
#!/bin/sh
PWD=`dirname "${0}"`
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=${PWD}/libs
export DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=${PWD}/libs
cd "${PWD}"; ./dwarfort.exe

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 16:02

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Screw it, gonna reserve one more because who knows? There's a lot to say.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

Slightly Amused

So anyone else finding that world gen is taking forever? My worldgen is proceeding at the pace of a snail and I'm not sure if this is normal for this version or if something went wrong.

Ray and Shirley
Jan 30, 2003
oh poop

Wasn't there some sort of isometric Dwarf Fortress in the works, or did I dream it?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Sharing this from the last thread, because gently caress: It's amazing.

EvilDrWong posted:

One of the necromancers in this world has written 5 books about herself, a trilogy whose titles seem to tell an odd story (My Friend The Human, Give Me The Human and The Human: Before And After) and a "vicious as can be" essay about her mentor entitled Kothvir Rhymebuckle Is My Life.

I love Legends mode.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

How shall we fuck off, O Lord?

Just want to reiterate a question from the previous thread: how do you get through grates into the catacombs/sewers?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Internet Kraken posted:

So anyone else finding that world gen is taking forever? My worldgen is proceeding at the pace of a snail and I'm not sure if this is normal for this version or if something went wrong.

I don't know, are you generating a largish world? Could be the world gen takes exponentially longer (than before) based on the size to the world. I generated a small world and it felt roughly equivalent in how long it took.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I did everything you're not supposed to do for quick processing (huge world, longest history)...and yeah. It's taking forever. As in I expect it to go for many more hours/possibly days.

I think with a small world and short history it might actually be pretty decent by DF measures though. The history bogs down really quickly.

SirPenguin
Apr 30, 2009

You can end world Gen early, I think with Enter or 'a' or something, and use the worlds as is.

And omg new DF

and I an at work

Gils
Aug 23, 2008

take it smugly

I think I'll give it a week to fix any awful bugs like 'geese lay iron chairs.' But I am excited to go kill vampires.

PxiePip
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.

Rurik posted:

Otherwise, wow! CK2 and this at the same day!

What's CK2? Also, 3D designations yeaaaah! Has there been any word lately on Dungeon Masters or are they still hella broke?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm 99% sure they're still broken, as Toady has stated that they can't reasonably be fixed because of the way the game works. Which translates to basically he's never going to try.

Just edit the raws and be done with it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Oh poo poo he finally updated? Fuuuuck there goes my life

Is the military interface still nightmarishly obtuse? That's been my biggest obstacle for quite a while now. I've been playing this god drat game since its inception a million years ago and the military system's newest crazy as gently caress iteration is the only thing that's ever completely stonewalled me.

e: from the OP it looks like the military hasn't changed this update. gently caress.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 15:49

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

Nice thread title. I lol'd.

I've taken a couple of stabs at adventurer mode and I'm thinking it may have been a slightly ill informed idea to draw the bandit leaders from historical figures. I keep getting one-hit-killed on the first quests. Or just in ambushes. Fucken Rogue-likes, man.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

Goodbye weeks of my life

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

Slightly Amused

The whole[PET_EXOTIC] system is stupid so just edit it out and tame whatever the hell you want. The dungeon master noble doesn't make any sense even when he does show up.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

gently caress I'm at work, and Bay12 is blocked. Even worse I have to spend time with the lady after work, so probably no DF for another whole day. FFFFFFFFFFFFF

DF>Puss

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Oh poo poo he finally updated? Fuuuuck there goes my life

Is the military interface still nightmarishly obtuse? That's been my biggest obstacle for quite a while now. I've been playing this god drat game since its inception a million years ago and the military system's newest crazy as gently caress iteration is the only thing that's ever completely stonewalled me.

e: from the OP it looks like the military hasn't changed this update. gently caress.

Dude, just learn the military screen. I swear to god it's actually one of the best UIs DF has to offer. It gives you a really great level of control, and if you want to, you can just whisk through it and ignore everything you don't want, and just use the defaults. Check the second post, the one with the walkthrough, for a simple, straightforward guide on using it. It's actually a good thing.

Also, re: world-gen: I'm doing a medium world now with the number of civs bumped up once and yeah, holy smokes it's slow. There seems to be a huge jump from small world to medium, but also from a medium number of civs to a high number. The world size seems to have more impact by far, however.

With a "smaller" world, I can put the civs up to higher and generate a long history in a fairly reasonable amount of time.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing's on fire...

Pozzo posted:

Nice thread title. I lol'd.

I've taken a couple of stabs at adventurer mode and I'm thinking it may have been a slightly ill informed idea to draw the bandit leaders from historical figures. I keep getting one-hit-killed on the first quests. Or just in ambushes. Fucken Rogue-likes, man.

This is bad how? You'll just need to do some serious Pengolin farming for a few years to prepare yourself. Except the pengolins are probably unholy badasses, too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wake up and
smell the murder.

Everyone needs to tell me everything that happens so I can live vicariously. I'm at work, and then I'm going out with my wife for Valentine's.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Bad Munki posted:

Dude, just learn the military screen. I swear to god it's actually one of the best UIs DF has to offer. It gives you a really great level of control, and if you want to, you can just whisk through it and ignore everything you don't want, and just use the defaults. Check the second post, the one with the walkthrough, for a simple, straightforward guide on using it. It's actually a good thing.

Yeah I know, I've spent quite a while mucking with it and I can definitely see how it could be extremely useful, but for some reason I simply cannot wrap my head around the damned thing. It's like the interface is in a different language or something. I just cannot make myself comprehend it.

Which is unfortunate because I really like playing war with my fortress' little bearded army mans

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

Slightly Amused

Well with the rate it is taking for my world to gen it should be done by about 6 pm, which is when my lab ends. So that's good. What isn't good is trying to study when there's a new version of the game out. I want to see all the new things and then mod all the new things

EDIT: There are sponge men in the ocean now. I'll refrain from the obvious joke there.

EDIT 2: I do like all the new creatures but it strikes me as a bit weird that Toady thinks he has to make an animal man and giant version of every single one.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 16:13

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

But seriously, do you really believe that Hot Rod deserved to become Autobot Commander? Yeah, right.

Excellent work on the OP, Bad Munki.

I'll have to check out the new version when I get some free time here in a few days.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

I just finished downloading the new version and I'm looking at the text files before starting it up. In release notes.txt, I noticed this line:

release notes.txt posted:

TO USE OLD SAVES WHEN UPDATING VERSIONS:

(0) ***Note that this major update 0.34.01 is not compatible with old versions.***

Good to see that Toady didn't even try to maintain save compatibility this time around. It probably would have taken another year to maintain that, if it were even possible at all.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

The rework of rock distribution in Masterwork Mod suuuucks. I'm going back to regular, my forts fall fast enough without the added difficulty of traps in the earth and no rock.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

Slightly Amused

So uh, looking at the raws I've found that Toady has modified at least a few tags to completley replace old ones. For example, fire breath is no longer a single tag but rather a part of the new material emission system. What this means for my modded creatures is that some of them may not work properly anymore. I don't think that means they will cause conflicts with the game and create crashes, but this is Dwarf Fortress and anything is possible I suppose. I'll fix them once I figure out what all the new tags do but to anyone using my mod with the new version you might find that some things aren't working quite as intended.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Back in ye olden days...

d_init.txt posted:

Set this to YES if you want traps to affect you in adventure mode. This is not recommended -- there are lockup issues with cage traps, and you cannot disarm any of the traps yet, so they effectively stops you from exploring your old fortresses.

[ADVENTURER_TRAPS:NO]

And now, in 0.34.01, we have this.

d_init.txt posted:

Set this to NO if you do not want traps to affect you in adventure mode. Cage traps are always disabled for now.

[ADVENTURER_TRAPS:YES]

Emphasis mine. I guess that means there's still no way to escape a cage.

Mucking About
May 30, 2011

That is one hell of a OP. Great work!

Since this update I´m starting up a new game, embarked in a frozen terrifying area. Moments later:

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

The blood stains on everything must be doing horrible things to your FPS.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not gonna wear that.

Grabbed new version, now genning world. Nth'ing it being slow but what the hell, I don't plan on generating new worlds all the time. (Remember, the idea is that you generate a world once and play on it forever, making continually more settlements and adventurers.)

I'll probably do some adventuring when it finishes.

E: Oh, already finished at 250 years, in The Golden Age

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

probably on the side of posting what he wants and just having fun

Of course it came out on a loving tuesday, the day I'm at college from 11am to 9pm

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Samhem posted:

That is one hell of a OP. Great work!

Since this update I´m starting up a new game, embarked in a frozen terrifying area. Moments later:

I haven't touched DF in about a year and a half so I can't wait get to get home and be surprised by all the new stuff like this.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Zoinks a new version! I'm too busy looking through the raws to actually play yet. I want to add [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:CLEANING] to dwarves so they will lick themselves (and each other) clean when they get dirty. No need for dfhack to clean them!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tower's new, right? That has to do with the necromancers or some poo poo? I'm embarking right next to it.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

Excellent OP.

There was some mention in the prior thread about all migrants having combat skills, and I'm finding that to be the case with my own fort. Even if it's only Dabbling or Novice, every single dorf's got at least 4-5 combat skills.

I currently have three instances of the game open, with how long world generation takes.

Edit: In fact, any kind of loading at all seems to take much, much longer.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Adventure mode is completely awesome now. I generated a dwarf, killed a bunch of megabeasts, and then decided to sleep in the wilds at night for no real reason and got attacked by a necromancer, a goblin, and a wolf skin. The necromancer went down really fast and the goblin took out the skin, but I must have been wounded pretty bad when they woke me up and the goblin finished me off pretty quickly.

A lot of fun, but I forgot that there aren't any dwarf towns (or are they back in this version?) and couldn't buy armor, so I was basically living on borrowed time. Being able to buy and sell with currency is completely awesome, as are the markets and the improved stores. No more of that "this store has 10 items" crap.

I think the wait is going to be worth it. I am still hoping to get a chance to become a necromancer werewolf vampire or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Guys. I'm at work all week so I won't get to play this for at least a few days, maybe a week.

But you know what I can do? I can read your stories, so I'd really love it if some of you guys diving in would keep mini diary of first forts/adventure dwarfs/Legends stories because I can't get enough of that stuff.

I'm scared work will ask me to stay a few more days after this week and if so I'm going to be devastated. I can't wait to play again. Ohgod.

«463 »