Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«463 »
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nettle Soup posted:

I bet that's a sight.

Dwarven jewelry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Lowtax

scamtank posted:

Do quivers hold bolts by absolute amount or the number of stacks?

Stacks

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

T-man posted:

So I had a idea for the next LP. Basically, Roller Coaster World. All overseers start a 10X1 embark and must build a minecart track from one end to the other, and document it. However, and this is the fun part, it doesn't have to be a straight line. All that matters is that it goes from the furthest square on one end to the other. Possibly we can build it in mind to get from one city to another, but that might not work.

Any ideas about it?

That'd be cool, but it'd be even sweeter if we could have it go through the caverns for part of the journey. I mean, we could have it dip in at the beginning and then pop up to make it to the next map, but it'd be better to be completely subterranean. Nothing like breakneck speeds through troglodyte infested lava pits. Have it rocket over the edge of a canyon through a waterfall into a tunnel. Then pop out miles away through the elf forest, across a lake, and through a human city. It'd be hell to architect at the world level, but you could even have people sign up for whatever segment, and then we make them all at once so it goes a bit faster.

That'd get me involved, if each contributor built part of a huge ultrastructure, rather than sequential fortress.

Are adventurers able to ride minecarts?

Met
Jan 17, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It's pretty amazing anything can ride minecarts at all. He's been at this for all of... a week?

Unless he specifically mentions adventurers (he hasn't), then no.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not gonna wear that.

Re. the beekeeping talk, I remember markus_cz (was it?) posting about it in the previous thread. One of the points he brought up was that the game's production of honey vs. wax vs. royal jelly is completely wrong with respect to reality.
I think it would be fair to attempt modding the game to produce more realistic amounts of each, for an LP. I'm just not sure if it's actually possible to mod that.

Met
Jan 17, 2012

quote:

I did stack some carts vertically and shot a cart through the air into the middle of the stack, disrupting it, so that was fun.

Wait, how did he do this? Stacked over multiple Z-levels...? How would he manage to stack anything. Either they all occupy the same space on a tile or they are a solid tile stacked over multiple z-levels. I'm not sure what he means.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

nielsm posted:

Re. the beekeeping talk, I remember markus_cz (was it?) posting about it in the previous thread. One of the points he brought up was that the game's production of honey vs. wax vs. royal jelly is completely wrong with respect to reality.
I think it would be fair to attempt modding the game to produce more realistic amounts of each, for an LP. I'm just not sure if it's actually possible to mod that.

I was rolling my eyes and going "psh, that's light years away from being in the raws" but what do you know.

[REACTION:PRESS_HONEYCOMB]
[NAME:press honey from honeycomb]
[BUILDING:SCREW_PRESS:CUSTOM_H]
[REAGENT:honeycomb:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_HONEYCOMB:NONE:NONE]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:HONEYCOMB_PRESS_MAT]
[NOT_PRESSED]
[REAGENT:liquid container:1:TOOL:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY]
[DOES_NOT_ABSORB]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[HAS_TOOL_USE:LIQUID_CONTAINER]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:honeycomb:HONEYCOMB_PRESS_MAT][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:liquid container]
[PRODUCT:100:1:GLOB:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:honeycomb:NONE][PRODUCT_PRESSED]
[SKILL:PRESSING]

[REACTION:MAKE_WAX_CRAFTS]
[NAME:make wax crafts]
[BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_W]
[REAGENT:wax:1:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REACTION_CLASS:WAX]
[PRODUCT:100:1:CRAFTS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:wax:NONE]
[SKILL:WAX_WORKING]

[REACTION:MAKE_MEAD]
[NAME:make mead]
[BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_M]
[REAGENT:honey:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:HONEY_BEE:HONEY]
[UNROTTEN]
[REAGENT:honey container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:honey]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[REAGENT:barrel/pot:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY]
[FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER] barrel or any non-absorbing tool with FOOD_STORAGE
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:honey:DRINK_MAT]
[PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:barrel/pot]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:BREWING]

The hive harvesting behavior is pretty certainly hard code, but it seems the produce quantities can be altered. The second number in the bolded line, to be exact.

You could make the honeycomb itself produce more honey, but I'm not sure whether you'd have to alter the capacity of the liquid storage jugs.

scamtank fucked around with this message at Apr 14, 2012 around 01:00

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Met posted:

Wait, how did he do this? Stacked over multiple Z-levels...? How would he manage to stack anything. Either they all occupy the same space on a tile or they are a solid tile stacked over multiple z-levels. I'm not sure what he means.

Nobody is sure what Toady ever means. But it sounds to me like minecarts actually fill a tile and provide a solid z-level to stand on.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I edit pretty much every value when I gen worlds. I want huge and open caverns, lots of minerals, lots of civs and lots of volcanoes. Generally I gen a 1050 large world with 40 civs in 10-15 minutes.

I've been using perfect world a few times as well but I can never figure out how volcanism works in it so I gave it up.

This may not be entirely a solution to your problem, but this (With appropriate number of volcanoes in the worldgen) will give you a lot of one-tile volcanoes with a good chance of sedimentary rock right nearby, perfect for a steel industry.

Just adjust the Higer/Lower Elevation Cusp sliders until the red dots are on land, and unless you want to try making like a chain of volcanic islands or something, it should serve admirably.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing's on fire...

SniperWoreConverse posted:

That'd be cool, but it'd be even sweeter if we could have it go through the caverns for part of the journey. I mean, we could have it dip in at the beginning and then pop up to make it to the next map, but it'd be better to be completely subterranean. Nothing like breakneck speeds through troglodyte infested lava pits. Have it rocket over the edge of a canyon through a waterfall into a tunnel. Then pop out miles away through the elf forest, across a lake, and through a human city. It'd be hell to architect at the world level, but you could even have people sign up for whatever segment, and then we make them all at once so it goes a bit faster.

That'd get me involved, if each contributor built part of a huge ultrastructure, rather than sequential fortress.

The part where it skims over the surface of Hell at high speed only to shoot up to the top of a mountain and fly across a peak, with demons chasing after you and dueling giant eagles while you're high in the air, until you crash into the water, with the minecart plunging into a flooded tube that comes out in a circular perambulation around a necromancer's tower, on adamantine rails, 100 Z-levels above the earth, now being chased by zombies, demons, giant eagles and some kind of Giant AbsurdAnimalMan...

Yeah, I could get behind that.

Ah, to hell with it, when the minecart release comes out, I'm going to start a DFLP that's going to be about playing a "world" and I think giant world-sized megaprojects will be the order of the day. I think there's room for one of those alongside a traditional succession fort, right?

ThePriceIsRight
Sep 22, 2008

I just had a thought today. I've never seen a picture of a video of Toady ever. Does such a thing exist?

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Here's one.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

ThePriceIsRight posted:

I just had a thought today. I've never seen a picture of a video of Toady ever. Does such a thing exist?

Post this in the Conspiracy/paranormal forum!

Also, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/m...?pagewanted=all deserves a read to show our boy Toady and his Pleasure Palace that he resides in.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

PublicOpinion posted:

Here's one.

My god...
It's like
+

Tov01
Feb 13, 2012

Did anyone see the newest dev post yet:

quote:

I set a hauler to ride a minecart to its next stop. That happened to take the dwarf down eight ramps and then up a launch ramp into an open cavern. High up in the cavern there was a wide ledge and on the ledge there was a goblin, chilling out right where I had created it. I activated the dwarf's squad, and he had just enough hang-time at the top of the flight arc to get a punch in. The goblin struck back but the dwarf jumped on to the ledge, where they continued to fight as the cart fell down into the darkness. It'll be interesting to see the new contenders for "worst dodge decision" that come out of this, before I tackle that problem, but overall the item riding system seems to be functioning. As we continue to iron out issues there, it might also let caged creatures interact more with their environment later on.

God, I can't wait until the mine carts are in. They have so much potential.

Met
Jan 17, 2012

Tov01 posted:

It was brought up several times today. Perhaps you should check back a page or two.

Tov01
Feb 13, 2012

Met posted:

It was brought up several times today. Perhaps you should check back a page or two.

Ah yes, sorry. I always underestimate how fast these threads move.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Here's one of Toady and his brother I found on GIS:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

TOOT BOOT posted:

Here's one of Toady and his brother I found on GIS:

He looks nothing like I've imagined him to be. I imagined him to look more or less like one of my closest friends with long curly hair.

sum
Nov 14, 2010

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Tov01 posted:

God, I can't wait until the mine carts are in. They have so much potential.

Now I want to make a Dwarven Cavalry Regiment consisting of dwarves in minecarts armed with pikes. Does the combat system model momentum? Someone please say yes

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

zalmoxes posted:

For example, I embarked with bears and thought I'd use butchery for food and leather, but while you get a decent amount of food per bear, you only get 1 skin.

.. I'm cranky because my DF crashed about 5 mins after I left it, for reasons unrelated to RAM consumption

Nettle Soup posted:

I bet that's a sight.

They don't gently caress around with any pansy piercings in DF.

PublicOpinion posted:

Here's one.

Huh. "Hurr Hurr I'm A Burr" indeed.

e: "When I peeked inside, rumpled underwear, discarded boxes and books lay scattered across the carpet. A sheet of plywood, edged with black foam rubber, was wedged into the window frame and affixed there by metal clamps."

Black .. foam .. rubber ... clamps ... underwear ... tissue boxes?

"Zach, who is 35 and between jobs, has lived with them since 2002. Zach brought over a drinking glass from the house in case I got thirsty, because Tarn owns only a couple of dishes. In the fridge were three sodas and a jug of water and nothing else. Tarn said I was welcome to anything, although the jug technically belonged to Scamps — the tap water has something in it that makes the cat refuse to drink it. Tarn consumed “maybe one glass” of water in the last three months, hydrating with soft drinks instead. “Water’s not doing it for me these days,” he said. “I know it’s bad, but the sugar goes right into programming the game. If I don’t drink soda now, I get a headache and can’t do any work.” "

DIABETES FORTRESS, NOW MIT WAMPIRES

Seriously, every time I see that article I'm reminded just how strange the Adams family must be. No deliberate pun intended. Also, nipple clamps and water don't do it for Tarn.

OhCrap fucked around with this message at Apr 14, 2012 around 03:57

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011

PublicOpinion posted:

Here's one.

I raise you:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

Now whenever I look at that little smiling dwarf icon his face will be all I see.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

i poo poo trains posted:

Now I want to make a Dwarven Cavalry Regiment consisting of dwarves in minecarts armed with pikes. Does the combat system model momentum? Someone please say yes

Pretty sure it does. A large animal can propel dwarves if they hit them hard enough, which can result in them sliding on the floor or sent flying off into the distance depending on how much force there is.

ThePriceIsRight
Sep 22, 2008

Well I see he modeled the dwarves after himself. I also see he has a cat that has taken ownership of him.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing's on fire...

Devlog posted:

overall the item riding system seems to be functioning

On re-reading this, that sounds like something much more extensible and awesome than just some hardcoded minecarts...

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

TildeATH posted:

On re-reading this, that sounds like something much more extensible and awesome than just some hardcoded minecarts...

One dwarf holds a giant battleaxe horizontally. Second dwarf jumps on. First dwarf launches the loving axe across the map, with other riding the spinning blade of death.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I can't wait to read about all the minecart related disasters. I'm picturing a cat sitting on the tracks and causing the cart to be derailed and plow straight into the farms.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

Nothing's on fire...

Aenovae posted:

One dwarf holds a giant battleaxe horizontally. Second dwarf jumps on. First dwarf launches the loving axe across the map, with other riding the spinning blade of death.

You could also play a gremlin that lives in the hat of a dwarf.

Before too long, we're going to have Mother Goose in this joint.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

ThePriceIsRight posted:

Well I see he modeled the dwarves after himself. I also see he has a cat that has taken ownership of him.

Dwarf Fortress is basically just Toady's diary. All of this minecart stuff is just because he bought a new car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wake up and
smell the murder.

Is anyone else worried about this?

Toady One posted:

I'm using inverted double lines for rails. Those'll either be distinguished from the hidden engravings walls through a color convention, or hidden engraving walls will be altered entirely. I don't like single line rails.

This is going to break every single graphics set, and I can't think of a good way to work around it. We're finally getting to the point that 256 characters just won't cut it any more.

KillHour fucked around with this message at Apr 14, 2012 around 05:57

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS

Oh gently caress, first siege and I have no idea what to do Is there a way to forbid all my dwarfs from going outside? I can seal up tight until I have my defenses in position, but I need all my dwarfs in before I can do that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wake up and
smell the murder.

Ignimbrite posted:

Oh gently caress, first siege and I have no idea what to do Is there a way to forbid all my dwarfs from going outside? I can seal up tight until I have my defenses in position, but I need all my dwarfs in before I can do that.

Set up a burrow for citizens called "ohshit" and make it so that they are only allowed inside.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Lowtax

Ignimbrite posted:

Set the burrow, make sure you apply it to all the civilians, accept that there'll probably be one or two casualties from those slow to follow orders and just shut everything up once the siegers get even close to the fort. Waiting around until every dwarf is in before buttoning up is a good way to also make sure every goblin/whatever is in.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Toady One posted:

I set a hauler to ride a minecart to its next stop. That happened to take the dwarf down eight ramps and then up a launch ramp into an open cavern. High up in the cavern there was a wide ledge and on the ledge there was a goblin, chilling out right where I had created it. I activated the dwarf's squad, and he had just enough hang-time at the top of the flight arc to get a punch in. The goblin struck back but the dwarf jumped on to the ledge, where they continued to fight as the cart fell down into the darkness.

LAUNCH DORF MISSILE #1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OhCrap fucked around with this message at Apr 14, 2012 around 07:42

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Tendales posted:

Dwarf Fortress is basically just Toady's diary. All of this minecart stuff is just because he bought a new car.

Judging from interviews with him about his sleep schedule(He has some crazy Hunter Thompson schedule where he wakes up at 7:00 PM, codes all night, then in the morning he closes his house down with plywood reinforced panels to make it dark and sleeps until the dusk), he is a Vampire.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Tendales posted:

I don't imagine Toady having a car

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Darval posted:

I don't imagine Toady having a car

More likely, Scamps has a car.

e: Oh hey, a region called The Walls of Flesh. Necromancers and dwarf mountainhomes and vampires and lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

OhCrap fucked around with this message at Apr 14, 2012 around 07:51

IM_DA_DECIDER
May 7, 2005
custard title

Omnicarus posted:

Judging from interviews with him about his sleep schedule(He has some crazy Hunter Thompson schedule where he wakes up at 7:00 PM, codes all night, then in the morning he closes his house down with plywood reinforced panels to make it dark and sleeps until the dusk), he is a Vampire.

Now walling in a vampire and making him your bookkeeper makes perfect sense. DF is really autobiographical gaming.

Speaking of vampires, I hate those sneaky fuckers. I had four of them in a locked up in barracks training for emergencies and fighting caged critters for dwarven amusement, but they somehow managed to escape after the latest fight against a family of troglodytes. This happened just as I had to let out my mood-stricken vampire king from his forbidden palace and just as a forgotten beast arrived. Now I have five vampires running around my fort, refusing to pull levers or follow squad orders while my entire military is off hunting some stupid giant scorpion in the caverns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Whenever my dwarves kill a megabeast, I engrave a memorial slab for it. A Hammerlord just killed a minotaur, and this is the beast's obituary: "In memory of Belepi Fifemaeni Milafeyudo / Born 152 / Struck down by the dwarf 'Perseus' Pagepack the Cult of Sneers with an iron war hammer in The Rampage of the minotaur Belepi Raunchwrings the Robust Avalanche in Spatteredcloister in the year 255 / Slayer of the Dwarf Doren Fangclasped / Loving father."

That last bit makes me kind of sad. Not as bad as the minotaur that was only six years old, though.

«463 »