Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«463 »
Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Hurry up tilesets for the new version I need you

If anyone has got an old tileset working well in the new version, please upload it and link it here or something. I just can't get it

edit: Here it is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11762544/df_34_01_win.zip

Gooses and Geeses fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 17:18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Rathen posted:

Hurry up tilesets for the new version I need you

If anyone has got an old tileset working well in the new version, please upload it and link it here or something. I just can't get it
Its been linked in the thread already... And in the older thread so it should be on the last page of that, too.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

mater dolorosa

So I got my rear end kicked by my own hand after a mummy cut it off and raised it against me.

Welp.

On a semi-related tangent, has anyone found and read any slabs/tomes, yet? I'm really eager to see what sort of zany powers we can get from them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not gonna wear that.

Start Your Day With Extinction was a legendary emerald-bound book.The written portion consists of a 89 page guide titled Start Your Day With Extinction, authored by Aspa Curlchannel. It concerns the secrets of life and death. The writing is quite cheerful.

- -

There's also the 18 page essay Demise: Common Practice about the secrets of life and death, written in a reasonably serious manner. Then there's Musings On The Book which is 53 pages with just some moments of cleverness, about Demise. They are by the same author, written 10 years apart.

Just looking at the books in legends mode is hours of fun

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

So is this a relatively stable version with no game-breaking issues, or do we still have problems like 'don't equip your guards because there is a bug that will make them hoard swords' or 'these guys only wear mittens and capes' or 'don't bring cats because they breed forever and slow your machine to a crawl'? I wouldn't mind trying to replay this game. Has a year's worth of dev effort paid off yet?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

We have no real idea about bugs, it's literally only been out for a few hours.

Aww, I found a labyrinth and promptly found a gold coin, and then shortly after that I found the minotaur LanceShoved the Confident Mirror who murdered me with his steel pick. ROUND TWO

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Grrr. I want to play, but it's Valentines Day and soon enough I have midterms. Keep posting stories of your experiences!

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Holy poo poo Toady, I know you wanted to add animalmen versions of all the sponsorship animals, but this is going too far:

creature_ocean_new.txt posted:

[CREATURE:SPONGE_MAN]
[COPY_TAGS_FROM:SPONGE]
[GO_TO_TAG:BODY:BASIC_1PARTBODY]
[BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:BODY:BASIC_1PARTBODY]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:NOTHOUGHT]
[CV_REMOVE_TAG:IMMOBILE]
[APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON]
[GO_TO_END]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:PUNCH_ATTACK]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:KICK_ATTACK]
[GO_TO_START]
[NAME:sponge man:sponge men:sponge man]
[CASTE_NAME:sponge man:sponge men:sponge man]
[DESCRIPTION:A person in the form of a sponge with arms and legs.]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:30:50]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:3]
[MAXAGE:60:80]
[CREATURE_TILE:'s']
[COLOR:4:0:1]

[LIVES_IN_PINEAPPLE_UNDER_SEA]

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Ghosts can write books?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The hardest part of moving on is letting go

That's probably a sponsorship animal. Spongebob?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

I can't wait until the civ system is fleshed out some more and sponge man caravans start showing up with little coral wagons full of engraved sand dollars and whalebone bolts. And then the sponge man ambassador warns you that your alliance with the squid men is unwise, and will not be tolerated for much longer. Meanwhile the squid men keep offering you huge sums of squid man dollars if you'll send troops to support them, which you keep refusing because what the hell squid men how are you supposed to send a bunch of dwarves to fight for them on the bottom of the sea.

edit: and you don't really want to anger either faction because they are a great source of exquisite bows, due to the fact that the elves keep drowning archers en masse in an effort to besiege them for cutting down so many underwater trees.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 17:00

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

probably on the side of posting what he wants and just having fun

Holy poo poo, interactions are crazy.

I have no clue what you can actually do with them.

Edit: Considering you can make SYN_INGESTED things now, and you can add tags like NO_PAIN... I wonder if it'd be possible to create ether?

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 17:01

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Demiurge4 posted:

That's probably a sponsorship animal. Spongebob?

Toady added a giant and animal man version of every animal added via the sponsorship drive. So now we have huamnoid whales and sponges roaming through the oceans.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Holy poo poo, interactions are crazy.

I have no clue what you can actually do with them.

Oh god this. I'm looking at the raws waiting for the world to gen and it's one big . Once someone actually figure out what they can do I can only imagine what kind of stuff will be possible. In the last thread I said the Dwarf Fortress needed mutations. Well, that may very well be possible with this new release.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

nielsm posted:

Bhodi posted:

So is this a relatively stable version with no game-breaking issues, or do we still have problems like 'don't equip your guards because there is a bug that will make them hoard swords' or 'these guys only wear mittens and capes' or 'don't bring cats because they breed forever and slow your machine to a crawl'? I wouldn't mind trying to replay this game. Has a year's worth of dev effort paid off yet?

We have no idea what's broken in 34.1, but let me list some of the more visible malfunctions in the previous version (31.25):

- Dwarves don't use clothes. They come wearing them, but they won't equip anything new once the old ones give out. They stay and litter your fortress, hurting your framerate with constant wear calculations and blocking construction. A popular workaround is to mod your dwarves to wear generic clothes/jumpsuits that are classified as armor, not subject to wear.

- Large pots (stone/clay barrels) don't obey some barrel management rules in stockpiles. Wood and metal barrels have no such problems.

- Beekeepers sometimes get stuck when splitting nests, caused by faulty task assignment logic. Canceling tasks/resetting labors breaks the loop.

- Some of the largest grazing animals require more food than they can possibly eat, causing them to starve in mid-feeding. Removing [GRAZER] tags lets your tame elephants live.

All in all .25 was the most stable version in a looong time.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Angry Diplomat posted:

what the hell squid men how are you supposed to send a bunch of dwarves to fight for them on the bottom of the sea.
Duh, you make them astronaut dwarves and have them splash down in the ocean and live in a giant underwater bubble home in their space suits.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gonna go back and kill that drat steel-pick-wielding minotaur. First step: become legendary ambusher. Process: pick a wall in the starting village, walk into it. While still holding that direction key, press and hold the opposite key. Begin to vibrate, accelerating more and more, growing ever more stealthy in the process. Soon, the villagers come out to witness this phenomenon, but after a time, only some of them can even see it at all. "It's one of those magic eye things! If you cross your eyes a little, you can see a crazy woman!"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Toadsniff posted:

gently caress I'm at work, and Bay12 is blocked. Even worse I have to spend time with the lady after work, so probably no DF for another whole day. FFFFFFFFFFFFF

DF>Puss

On the bright side, the longer you wait the more release-day bugs are fixed.

scamtank posted:

We have no idea what's broken in 34.1, but let me list some of the more visible malfunctions in the previous version (31.25):

- Dwarves don't use clothes. They come wearing them, but they won't equip anything new once the old ones give out. They stay and litter your fortress, hurting your framerate with constant wear calculations and blocking construction. A popular workaround is to mod your dwarves to wear generic clothes/jumpsuits that are classified as armor, not subject to wear.

- Large pots (stone/clay barrels) don't obey some barrel management rules in stockpiles. Wood and metal barrels have no such problems.

- Beekeepers sometimes get stuck when splitting nests, caused by faulty task assignment logic. Canceling tasks/resetting labors breaks the loop.

- Some of the largest grazing animals require more food than they can possibly eat, causing them to starve in mid-feeding. Removing [GRAZER] tags lets your tame elephants live.

All in all .25 was the most stable version in a looong time.

There also seems to be a bug in the last one where dorfs just ignore stockpiles after a time. I made an ore stockpile deep underground and then they just stopped caring about any of them altogether. I had to abandon the fortress because well, I need stockpiles to work.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ahahaha what the gently caress? There are like a dozen different books about this thing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not gonna wear that.

I have been headbumped.

Edit: Now on a rampage against cats and peacocks.

nielsm fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 17:15

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The hardest part of moving on is letting go

Internet Kraken posted:

Ahahaha what the gently caress? There are like a dozen different books about this thing.

Look up Sporro Closevipers in historical figures, I wanna know who he was and what he did.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

I have been headbumped.

Please tell me that is a thing that non-hostile cats do outside of combat. It would be awesome if Toady actually modeled the adorable affectionate headbump thing that cats do

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Demiurge4 posted:

Look up Sporro Closevipers in historical figures, I wanna know who he was and what he did.

He was a human necromancer. It doesn't say what he did but there are like a dozen different books about him, some of which were penned by none other than Sporro Closevipers. Charming man.

Looking at legends it seems odd that megabeasts die so easily now. The only thing that survived the very short world gen in this world were a few krakens, glowing ones, and straw colossus. Dragons, hydras, and other megabeasts are all dead. Maybe they get targeted more by adventurers.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Man, the more I look at interactions, the more I think that its going to allow all sorts of totally insane poo poo.

Just the things I have thought of: Booze that makes you invincible for a day, at the end of which your heart explodes. Creatures with "psychic" attacks that cause your brain to melt and your attributes to rot. A region of endless battle, where anyone that enters becomes pathologically hostile. Liches with fireballs and death bolts. Head bumps that steal souls.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

I have like 70 books with human in the title.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not gonna wear that.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Please tell me that is a thing that non-hostile cats do outside of combat. It would be awesome if Toady actually modeled the adorable affectionate headbump thing that cats do

Yep, I just walked into the area and suddenly my log got filled with messages about cats headbumping each other and soon me too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Quornes posted:

I have like 70 books with human in the title.

Yeah, humans seem to pen the most books. I think that's rather appropriate.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Hell, you could just straight up create a plant that gives you immortality.

Its like a fountain of youth, only more alcoholic!

AlsoD
Feb 16, 2011

I'll keep.

I last played this before burrows. How important are they to use? I'll get around to military and hospitals soon enough but I won't bother with burrows unless you guys think I should.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

nielsm posted:

I have been headbumped.

Edit: Now on a rampage against cats and peacocks.

Ohmygawd.

If only I could tell when it applies in Dwarf mode too, I want to see 89 pages of "Stray Kitten has headbumped Urist McAnimalLover; lightly tapping the target".

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

Yep, I just walked into the area and suddenly my log got filled with messages about cats headbumping each other and soon me too.

Yesssssss

Just generated a world at work. Not gonna play (I'll lose too much time!), but I'm going to browse through legends and see if I can come up with any interesting stuff. So psyched to play this at home, holy poo poo

e:

e2: Literally every book in the entire world was written by this same sky blue brute

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 17:30

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

AlsoD posted:

I last played this before burrows. How important are they to use? I'll get around to military and hospitals soon enough but I won't bother with burrows unless you guys think I should.

Well, there's no longer any "don't go outside" order so if you want to order everyone inside during an attack, you'll at least need to use them for that. It's pretty common to set up a panic room in your great hall so everyone can party down while the fort is under siege.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

That's....rather grim

EDIT: Upon embarking I noticed a swarm of giant mosquitos. According to the raws, they should only come in groups of one. However, there's like 7 of them. I think Toady hosed up the tags.

EDIT 2: OH GOD

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 17:31

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun

Fired up adventure mode real quick while at work. First thing I saw was a horse and I knocked its teeth out by hitting it in the mouth with a mace. The teeth are now all scattered around on the ground in like a 4-tile radius.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I start up adventurer mode every six months or so, whip up a legendary wrestler and just run around suplexing peasants for a while.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

The new book name generator is pretty hilarious.

"Uncanny Book"
"More Tower"
"The Dwarf: A New Approach: The Definitive Guide"
"Give Me Storage"
"First Death, Then The World!"
"Death: A Brief History"

And most informatively,
"The Book" and it's sequel "First The Book, Then The World!"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Please report any mutations tia

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oh boy, I discovered the first terribly broken thing!

This over 100 giant mosquitoes showing up on my map. This obviously isn't supposed to happen, as this many creatures is not only impossible to fight but it is also hell on your FPS. Thing is, Toady didn't intend for this to happen. If you look at the raws, giant mosquitoes are only supposed to arrive in groups of one.

So what the hell happened? Well Toady cuts corners. You see, every giant and animal man version of another animal just copies their tags with modifiers applied. It doesn't appear to overwrite their population and cluster size though. Mosquitoes are a vermin that shows up in large groups, so as a result giant mosquitoes also show up in large groups despite being nonvermin.

DWARF FORTRESS!!

scamtank posted:

Please report any mutations tia

The ooze actually does have an effect. It's bruising all my dwarves and making them dizzy. The mosquito horde that is covering the entire god drat map is also getting harmed by it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

I just found a market in a city. My screen is being overwhelmed by merchants shouting out "Come buy -small iron leggings- over here! Best price in town!"

It's glorious.

EDIT: There are even DWARVES there. In a non-dwarven town!

Second edit: The dwarves are selling plump helmets. Now your dwarf adventurer can even EAT like dwarves!

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at Feb 14, 2012 around 17:44

Reason
Sep 10, 2006

I really like the new units screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

giant parrots stop stealing all my poo poo goddamn

«463 »